*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

296,303 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by YNWA_AG
BAP Enthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eliminatus said:

JayHowdy! said:

I don't know who mentioned it earlier, but the part written for Phoenix is how you right a part for a women (non-love interest) in a male dominated cast. There was no grandstanding that she was a women pilot, no feminist lecture, or woke culture to go with her part. She was a naval aviator that was there to train and complete the mission, just like the other pilots. I paid special attention for this on my second viewing, and appreciated her role even more the 2nd time.

Couldn't help but think the same. Really just goes to show how forceful that image you are talking about has become so domineering that when a woman is truly just "one of the guys and is there because of what she can do, not her vagina" it stands out so much.

Was nice to see. Even was mentioned elsewhere in articles.
""Initially she was written like she was overcompensating for the fact that she was a woman in the original script and being the bro-iest bro of the crew," Barbaro said of Phoenix's beginnings. While Monica and the rest of the actors were in training, Jerry Bruckheimer, Joe Kosinski and leading man Tom Cruise had already started tweaking her character.

"As I was in training, they were like, 'OK, just FYI, she's changing a lot,'" Barbaro said. "It was really important to Tom [Cruise] and Joe [Kosinski] and Paramount, and then also so important to the Navy and our pilot consultants, to represent her in that strong, capable way where she's just really confident about what she's great at and not overcompensating for everything.""

Great direction with it and allowed her to truly star in her own way.

Now being the male chauvinistic, evil, cis gen, monster that I am, I must say I found her incredibly attractive in the whole movie.

They followed the stargate sg1 Samantha Carter model where the woman is ultra capable at her job but is also highly professional and disciplined, which is exactly what you would expect from someone who is one of the elite in that kind of military role.

The movie was amazing. Saw it tonight, both my wife and I loved it. It was absolutely a throwback to the old style Patriotism in an American military movie. The flight scenes were the best I've ever seen in any movie sci-fi or not. The way they showed the g forces on the actors was ground breaking, I'll never believe another movie that doesn't do this.

The story was superb and every character was good. One of the best overall action movies I've ever seen.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Just found this - no spoilers in it - it is labeled as being about Phoenix but it then goes into a behind the scenes of the flight training they went through with Tom in various planes and the Air Force in the F-18s.

Freaking awesome stuff and shows you how they got the realism but also all they went through to even get the point to be ready to fly and film those scenes.

MooreTrucker
AG
Her stunt pilot is from Lubbock.
maroon barchetta
I hope the Blu-ray has a crap ton of extras about the making of the film.
maroon man
S
Loved it! Saw in the Dallas Dolby Cinema theater. Outstanding.

Want to see again. Wish it had more time in IMAX & Large format screens. Jurassic World takes those screens this Friday.

Only 2 weeks for Top Gun Maverick.

maroon man
S
We watched again this evening & even better the 2nd time.

Easily one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

Fantastic!

Nagler
AG
Going tonight, haven't been to the movies since probably Toy Story 4 came out and before that who knows.

My in-laws have seen it and offered to watch the kids while we went. Both of my wives sisters and husbands have seen it. This movie is a monster.
Decay
AG
Nagler said:

Both of my wives sisters and husbands
I think I get what you mean... or you know maybe I don't...
Squadron7
AG
Going again today before it leaves the big big screens.
tk for tu juan
Decay said:

Nagler said:

I read it as "sister wives" the first time
TCTTS
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Decay said:

Nagler said:

I read it as "sister wives" the first time

Was laughing so hard at all this. I thought, "We're past 'Big Love'/polygamy territory here, and into something I've never even heard of."
Sea Speed
AG
Glad im not the only one whose mind went there.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Decay said:

Nagler said:

no you interpreted it correct. it means multiple wives. Wives is the plural of Wife.

it should have been "Both of my wife's sisters and husbands" if the sisters of his wife was the intent.

ur welcome
Decay
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Decay said:

Nagler said:

no you interpreted it correct. it means multiple wives. Wives is the plural of Wife.

it should have been "Both of my wife's sisters and husbands" if the sisters of his wife was the intent.

ur welcome

Sir I english as well.

He clearly meant "Both of my wives, both of my sisters, and both of my husbands"
TCTTS
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Y'all need to take this to the grammar Nazi board.
#FJB
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
good point
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Y'all need to take this to the grammar Nazi board.

"Y'all need to take this to the Grammar Nazi Board."

Because it's a proper title, all principle words should be capitalized.
Nagler
AG
Decay said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Decay said:

Nagler said:

ur welcome

Sir I english as well.

He clearly meant "Both of my wives, both of my sisters, and both of my husbands"

Claude!
double aught said:

She is stunning.

But yes, she was a strong character.

Another example mentioned on this board: the well written female protagonists in the Mandalorian season two finale (as opposed to the cheesy girl power moment in Endgame)
I definitely thought it was incredibly cheesy, but I noticed at least a couple of gals in the theater when I saw Endgame really reacted positively to it.
maroon barchetta
Claude! said:

double aught said:

She is stunning.

Another example mentioned on this board: the well written female protagonists in the Mandalorian season two finale (as opposed to the cheesy girl power moment in Endgame)
I definitely thought it was incredibly cheesy, but I noticed at least a couple of gals in the theater when I saw Endgame really reacted positively to it.

That's the way pandering go
Chipotlemonger
AG
Holy **** saw it tonight, that was a freaking awesome ride. Excellent breather experience and a great movie all around. To the spoilers thread!
Matsui
AG
Same. Excellent.
Eliminatus
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Claude! said:

double aught said:

She is stunning.

That's the way pandering go

For sure. I grimaced when that scene happened, BUT I will say that I know several little girls that loved it. So I will chalk it up to something I found cringeworthy but generally had positive results regardless of what I think. Because damn me if I will be the one to stop something from making little girls smile and dream.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Plot Prediction:

Maverick is a spook pilot for CIA.

Iceman is a diplomat / spy that somehow gets captured or held hostage in Iran.

The US Navy creates a clone of an Iranian F-14 for a special rescue mission.

Maverick is only flight qualified F-14 pilot still flying.

Plan is for Maverick to launch off a carrier in the Persian Gulf, fly into Iran under the disguise of being one of their own aircraft.

Maverick fakes an emergency landing in Iran ... Iceman hops in the rear seat.

They barely escape Iranian airspace to land safely back on a US carrier.

Some witty lines are said.

Roll credits.
Got some hits and some misses on this from 2019.
The Dirty Sock
chipotle said:

30 years later and I'm guessing tom gets a hot 20 something piece in this one too.

I was way off. JC is in her 50s
Stat Monitor Repairman
That's my main complaint man. They should've gone way younger with the love interest.

Got no complaints about Connelly, but there's younger girls out there that gotta eat too.
TCTTS
AG
nosoupforyou
AG
Great bump

Got the 4K Ultra Bku ray disk for Christmas and watched it again last night - followed by the extras.

The extras were cool.. but no director /Cruise commentary edition

Disappointed in that - think it will come out later? Really enjoy watching those for Mission Impossible..
oragator
Just finished it, and I liked it. Maybe Was expecting more because all of the lever the top hype, and maybe seeing it on the big screens would have enhanced it some. And I didn't have the "wow this is amazing" feeling around it. But it is a nice nostalgic film that uses many of the same devices from the first one - someone at the bar not realizing they are dealing with their instructor, games on the beach, the rogue pilot who saves the day, messing with the hard deck etc.

And all I could think about while watching it was Star Wars. But at least here that had to hit the target twice lol.
maroon barchetta
It's a great experience in the theater. Sorry you didn't get to see it there.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Holy **** saw it tonight, that was a freaking awesome ride. Excellent breather experience and a great movie all around. To the spoilers thread!

Theater***, not breather. Whoops
AggieArchitect04
AG
Just watched this for the second time (first time in theater). Still damn good the second time around.

Love it.
nosoupforyou
AG
Only second time?

I watched it today - while grilling - for the… 6th time?

I listen to Light the Fuse Podcast what gives behind the scenes updates from the movie - so watching again with their perspective on how hard various scenes were was really cool - such a fun movie!!!
GoAgs92
AG
oragator said:

Just finished it, and I liked it. Maybe Was expecting more because all of the lever the top hype, and maybe seeing it on the big screens would have enhanced it some. And I didn't have the "wow this is amazing" feeling around it. But it is a nice nostalgic film that uses many of the same devices from the first one - someone at the bar not realizing they are dealing with their instructor, games on the beach, the rogue pilot who saves the day, messing with the hard deck etc.

And all I could think about while watching it was Star Wars. But at least here that had to hit the target twice lol.
pretty much.

movie was good but relatively forgettable. Just saw it a couple weeks ago and remember the overall plot but that is about it.

Overall, I think the original was better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.