*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,458 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
htxag09 said:

TCTTS said:

Yeah, we've talked about the Penny Benjamin thing ad nauseam in this thread, the past couple years.

Well this thread is almost 5 years old….what hasn't been talked about ad nauseam….

We could debate on which Kawasaki we would take: the original Ninja 900R or the new Ninja H2 Carbon
ChipFTAC01
AG
Keegan99 said:

Have seen some reviewers offer eye-rolling comments about her character's apparent high-net-worth lifestyle in the new film. Being a humble bar owner and all. Well... Admirals are paid quite well. And are paid even more when they retire to a second career. Admiral Benjamin probably had a small empire of San Diego area real estate.

Now I'm curious, how much does a 2-star make?
The Collective
AG
I'd guess around $200k-250k/year - the real career is after the Navy though.
Keegan99
AG
Plus the pension. Getting, I think, 75%+ of your final salary for life.

But yea, the consulting gigs for the defense contractors is where the serious $$$ is.
PDWT_12
AG

Dudes rock
Keegan99
AG
Paramount dropped a bunch of new spots today, little vignettes for each aviator.

MAVERICK

ROOSTER

FANBOY

PHOENIX

PAYBACK

HANGMAN

COYOTE

BOB

ChipFTAC01
AG
Bob is a great callsign
Keegan99
AG
That's the one callsign that seems legit.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks for posting.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
A lot of data available on government pay.

Rear Admiral Salary
ArmyAg2002
AG
BOB...Blue on Blue?
country
AG
I think the only disappointment to me for this movie will be the sound track. Younger generation will probably love it, but I'm just an 80s guy and the original was obviously epic 80s. Can't wait.
Bunk Moreland
Bombs Over Baghdad
JB!98
AG
Keegan99 said:

That's the one callsign that seems legit.
God I wince at those callsigns. I am watching a documentary right now where the CO's call sign is McLovin. I realize I am already going to be too technical when I watch this movie for the 200th time!
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Chipotlemonger
AG
To be fair, in the last one we got MAVERICK, GOOSE, MERLIN, ICEMAN and VIPER, among others.

Anyone complaining about these new call signs is getting off base a little bit.
tk for tu juan
country said:

I think the only disappointment to me for this movie will be the sound track. Younger generation will probably love it, but I'm just an 80s guy and the original was obviously epic 80s. Can't wait.

8 of the 12 songs are written by Faltermeyer, Hans Zimmer, and Gaga. The Gaga Hold My Hand song is another one. OneRepublic has a song (below). Then Danger Zone and one other song

TCTTS
AG
I was picking up beer before the (terrible) Mavs game tonight, headed to a friend's, and heard Lady Gaga's "Hold My Hand" in the wild for the first time, over the liquor store speakers, and I'm all the way in for that song now. Even on its own, without the video. After thinking it was so vanilla initially, it's somehow become so catchy and memorable to me.

I'm in Texas for the week, it's hot as hell, I was headed to watch a Mavs playoff game, a week before my most anticipated blockbuster of the summer, as a hit single from said blockbuster played over the radio in public. For a brief moment, it felt like I was in college again.
TCTTS
AG
tk for tu juan said:

country said:

8 of the 12 songs are written by Faltermeyer, Hans Zimmer, and Gaga. The Gaga Hold My Hand song is another one. OneRepublic has a song (below). Then Danger Zone and one other song

And now this OneRepublic song just completely killed my vibe. What a terrible match for Top Gun.
TCTTS
AG
It's also worth noting that The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" is used in the big training sequence, so I'm betting there are at least a couple other songs like that, in the movie, that aren't part of the official soundtrack.

Really, though, all I need is Danger Zone. They fire that one up at a crucial moment, and I'll be good to go. I don't need any kind of sprawling, iconic soundtrack or '80s hits or anything this go-around. Just give me a kick-ass movie and a single Danger Zone needle drop.
UnderoosAg
AG
I still wanna know why the F You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' wasn't on the original soundtrack.
UnderoosAg
AG
And it reminds me, Santikos Theaters in SA does private rentals. Bring your own blu-ray, $100 for up to 25 people. Might have to do a Top Gun rewatch right before seeing this.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
UnderoosAg said:

I still wanna know why the F You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' wasn't on the original soundtrack.
I'd guess they couldn't get the rights to sell that song...
#FJB
Gig-Em2003
AG
Seeing it Tuesday night in Houston with kiddos. Got an email from Cinemark re: advanced screenings. Can't wait!
tk for tu juan
Columbia Pictures Philippines has a promo with some additional dialogue

tk for tu juan

double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

I was picking up beer before the (terrible) Mavs game tonight, headed to a friend's, and heard Lady Gaga's "Hold My Hand" in the wild for the first time, over the liquor store speakers, and I'm all the way in for that song now. Even on its own, without the video. After thinking it was so vanilla initially, it's somehow become so catchy and memorable to me.

I'm in Texas for the week, it's hot as hell, I was headed to watch a Mavs playoff game, a week before my most anticipated blockbuster of the summer, as a hit single from said blockbuster played over the radio in public. For a brief moment, it felt like I was in college again.
The Mavericks…and Maverick. How about that?

And glad you're all in on the Gaga song now.
TCTTS
AG
Didn't even make that connection!
CoachRTM
AG
So pumped for this. I have tickets for Wednesday night at Alamo Drafthouse (My wife has apparently seen enough movies that we got on the advanced screening list) and then again on Saturday on an IMAX screen.

I don't think I've been this psyched up for a movie since Avengers Endgame.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I feel the same way about "Hold My Hand". Pretty ho-hum initial reaction from me, but the more I hear it, the more I really feel it.

I told my wife it was like that episode of Parks and Rec where Tom Haverford slowly reacts to a painting.

jr15aggie
AG
I'm watching the OG Top Gun with my son tonight.... he's 12. I was 8 when my dad took me to the theaters to see the original.

Maybe it was somewhat inappropriate for an 8 year old to watch the original back in the 80s (Rated R)... but my dad was a marine pilot during Vietnam and this movie kicked ass.
jr15aggie
AG
On a separate note... Michael Ironside was 35-36 years old when he filmed Top Gun.

He still looks like an old man to me as I watch the original and I'm almost 44 years old. Damn.
tk for tu juan
Australia promo

ChipFTAC01
AG
jr15aggie said:

I'm watching the OG Top Gun with my son tonight.... he's 12. I was 8 when my dad took me to the theaters to see the original.

Maybe it was somewhat inappropriate for an 8 year old to watch the original back in the 80s (Rated R)... but my dad was a marine pilot during Vietnam and this movie kicked ass.

Watching it tonight as well. The opening sequence is just perfect.

But I'm through the volleyball scene and maybe it's because I've seen it a million times and can recite the whole movie but it just feels rushed. Nothing has a chance to breathe.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Also I get Mav playing volleyball in jeans because he's the cool rebel and had a date, but why are Iceman & Slider wearing sweatpants to play beach volleyball?
Chipotlemonger
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Also I get Mav playing volleyball in jeans because he's the cool rebel and had a date, but why are Iceman & Hollywood wesring sweatpants to play beach volleyball?

Never put the two together on this myself, but the school is in Miramar in the movie. San Diego beaches can be definitely be cold depending on time of year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.