*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

293,670 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by YNWA_AG
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm as tired as everyone else is of all these years-and-years-later sequels and old TV show revitalizations, but this one, in particular - I'll give it a pass. In fact, against all rationality, I kind of can't wait for Top Gun 2.

I despise Scientology with a passion, and think Everyday Tom Cruise can be a nut at times, but Movie Star Tom Cruise? He's one of my favorite things in all of cinema. No one wears their hard work and passion for entertaining on their sleeve like he does, let alone makes such consistently solid/fun movies. That, and as cheesy/cliched as it may sound, Top Gun might just be my favorite movie of all time. It's the first movie I ever remember seeing in theaters - at six years old - and it basically defined the '80s for me. I love everything about it - the look, the vibe, the soundtrack, the vintage Tony Scott-ness of it all - and I absolutely welcome revisiting that world one more time, even without Scott at the helm.

The project itself has been in development for years, and came extremely close to production just before director Tony Scott committed suicide in 2012. It then obviously fell apart and has seen various drafts since, but no real movement... until now...

Weird thing is, I was hanging with my buddy from Bruckheimer this past weekend (which I talked about here a couple days back, re: Pirates 5), and he was telling me that major progress had been made on this one over the past few weeks. He told me some stuff I can't repeat, and that overall it was super hush-hush for now. Variety apparently had even gotten wind that it was close to moving forward, but the powers-that-be told them to hold the story because they weren't ready to announce yet. So it actually came as a fairly big surprise when Cruise decided to randomly announce it in this way today.

As for the plot itself, it will "address modern warfare" and Maverick will take on drones/unmanned aircrafts in some capacity. There's a plausible reason for bringing him back into the fold, but I can't get into much detail beyond what has been released publicly. One morsel I can confirm is that Kilmer will, indeed, be back. When his health issues started to get serious over the past couple of years (and he basically lost his voice), there were drafts without him in it, but now that he's on the mend, expect Ice Man to be back.

Still no word on a director yet - they're currently narrowing down the candidates - but whoever it is, sign me up. And with filming aiming to get underway in the next year, I'd say a summer 2019 release is probably a safe bet...

Dro07
AG
Maverick getting chased by drones
Madmarttigan
AG
country
AG
Man.....they better nail the soundtrack. I think that alone could make or beak this one. Thanks for the info. It could get 0% on RT and I'll have my ass in the theatre to see it.

I wonder if anyone else here was at Cinemark in CS circa '98, '99, or '00 when they had the throwback midnight showing of Top Gun. It was sold out. Everyone in there started the night off at the shot bar and then went to see the '80s idol at midnight. All of the sudden Goose dies and then after that we get beach volleyball. The movie stops and some poor representative walked to the front of the crowd. He informs everyone that the reels were received last minute and in a rush they were spliced together in the wrong order. The theatre gave everyone a free showing for a future movie. That's the last time I tried to watch Top Gun on the big screen. If they showed again tomorrow I'd be there
TCTTS
AG
Ha, that sucks.

My hatred for 3D is well documented on this board, but I saw the 3D release in theaters a few years back and it's still somehow the best 3D conversation I've ever seen. Something about the film grain of a movie like that - and the way Tony Scott shot it - just made it look absolutely stunning. Seriously, it's Avatar and Top Gun, of all movies, as my only two wildly positive 3D experiences.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah. Top Gun is probably my favorite movie of all time too. Not overall quality of filmmaking, but a combo of everything it embodied plus being a kid when I first saw it. There was a time when I'd watch it almost every day as a kid.

Not sure what to feel about a sequel, but I'm down I suppose. No need to try and re create the magic either. Tell a new story and include some old characters.
Al Bula
AG
I heard Lt. cdr Tom Kazansky, Navy Supply Corps, runs the mess hall at Top Gun.

jokershady
AG
Anyone ever see Mistur Sinus Theatre 3000 tear this film apart live at Alamo Drafthouse?
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. We don't need a modern reboot/homage of the original, ala The Force Awakens. Just make it its own thing.
fig96
AG
I would be entirely opposed to this project happening had I not read your post.

Now you have me kinda excited.
Gigem314
AG
RPM said:

"The plaque for the alternates is still down in the ladies room"
walton91
Unless you are dealing with a true series of source material all sequels are ill advised and usually a pure money grab. I expect about 38% RT.
Guitarsoup
AG
Tom Cruise will play Maverick and Val Kilmer will play Iceman's obese father
Noblemen06
AG
walton91 said:

Unless you are dealing with a true series of source material all sequels are ill advised and usually a pure money grab. I expect about 38% RT.
I'd agree with you if Cruise wasn't involved. The guy knows how to put together fun action movies.
True Anomaly
AG
First movie I ever saw in theaters.

Looking forward to whatever this becomes
Btron
AG
tv1113 said:

You're*
Corporal Punishment
AG
Top Gun 2???

God help us!!!

jeffk
AG
Me: I HAVE QUESTIONS!!!!

TCTTS:

wangus12
AG
Top Gun is one of my favorites. I might go home and watch it tonight

Flashdiaz
AG
I hope Tom gets a new love interest:

The Collective
AG
BQ78
AG
Kilmer and Cruise would have to be four or five star admirals now or been retired for a few years. Putting them in the cockpit will make as much sense as putting the President of the US in a fighter jet, ala' Independece Day
CW Griswold
Top Gun 2
Chief of Naval Operations Pete Mitchell testifies before the House Armed Services Committee

Exciting
Guitarsoup
AG
BQ78 said:

Kilmer and Cruise would have to be four or five star admirals now or been retired for a few years. Putting them in the cockpit will make as much sense as putting the President of the US in a fighter jet, ala' Independece Day
Not only that, but if they do something really stupid like have them fly drones - that's an enlisted MOS. They are fighter pilots, so obviously they are officers.
Gigem314
AG
BQ78 said:

I'd imagine that Maverick will be in a similar situation to Viper in the original, the elder instructor (or retired)...only younger in appearance and demeanor...and single.
Tomdoss92
AG
country said:

Man.....they better nail the soundtrack. I think that alone could make or beak this one. Thanks for the info. It could get 0% on RT and I'll have my ass in the theatre to see it.

I wonder if anyone else here was at Cinemark in CS circa '98, '99, or '00 when they had the throwback midnight showing of Top Gun. It was sold out. Everyone in there started the night off at the shot bar and then went to see the '80s idol at midnight. All of the sudden Goose dies and then after that we get beach volleyball. The movie stops and some poor representative walked to the front of the crowd. He informs everyone that the reels were received last minute and in a rush they were spliced together in the wrong order. The theatre gave everyone a free showing for a future movie. That's the last time I tried to watch Top Gun on the big screen. If they showed again tomorrow I'd be there
Quad Dog
AG
This was in the news the other day, and this thread makes it relevant.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/politics/china-us-jets-intercept/

Quote:

Earlier, a US official told CNN the Chinese jets came within 150 feet of the US plane, with one of the Su-30s flying inverted, or upside down, directly above the American plane.
Dro07
AG
Quad Dog said:

This was in the news the other day, and this thread makes it relevant.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/politics/china-us-jets-intercept/

Quote:

Earlier, a US official told CNN the Chinese jets came within 150 feet of the US plane, with one of the Su-30s flying inverted, or upside down, directly above the American plane.

Blanco Jimenez
AG
chipotle
30 years later and I'm guessing tom gets a hot 20 something piece in this one too.
zap
AG

Swoon....
Corporal Punishment
AG
RPM said:

Been writing checks his body can't cash...
MSFC Aggie
AG
I wonder if Goose makes an appearance...
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

Exactly. We don't need a modern reboot/homage of the original, ala The Force Awakens. Just make it its own thing.
oh come on...you wouldn't watch a show about a young pilot on a search for Maverick, who has gone into hiding? he could be led by Force Ghost Goose and accompanied by an old, fat Iceman who is found drunk-singing Righteous Brothers songs to young girls in the cantina. mix in a couple of shirtless dudes in sunglasses playing hologram chess and I think we've got something.
dave99ag
AG
zap said:

Swoon....
I called that the "snake scene" when I was little due to their legs intertwining.

Oh and the obligatory QT rant on Top Gun:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.