Blockbusters of 2017 - Highlights of a Sure-To-Be Record-Breaking Year

92,131 Views | 584 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Added the great new trailer for The Big Sick...

TCTTS
AG
Added the trailer for The Dark Tower. And with that, one day before the summer movie season officially kicks off, we now have trailers for every major blockbuster this summer...

TCTTS
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Added the trailer for The Dark Tower. And with that, one day before the summer movie season officially kicks off, we now have trailers for every major blockbuster this summer...

A thousand times YES!!!!

And that kid that plays Lucas also plays Henry Bowers in IT. Wow what a great couple of roles for a young kid.

Sex Panther
AG
Not a blockbuster but this trailer for Ingrid Goes West is pretty fantastic. This movie seems appropriate in a post Fyre Festival - Instagram world.

TCTTS
AG
Thanks. Added it to the OP. And yeah, it looks pretty fun.

Also, this shot is literally at the base of the street/hill my office is on. I wait at the stoplight at this intersection every single day...

MW03
AG
Pretty cool rundown of 30 or some coming soon on COS

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/05/the-30-hottest-films-of-summer-2017/
TCTTS
AG
Added new trailers for Warner Bros.' next four blockbuster. Pretty insane slate (and that's not counting Justice League, which comes the month after Blade Runner)

redd38
AG
Hollywood fearing worst box office summer in a decade

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/hollywood-summer-box-office-prediction-a7732976.html
AgMarauder04
AG
redd38 said:

Hollywood fearing worst box office summer in a decade

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/hollywood-summer-box-office-prediction-a7732976.html
A lot of what we've mentioned here.

Reboots
Sequels
Adaptations of comics/books

Very little new material contributes to it,
TCTTS
AG
But what they're not saying is that the spring and holiday seasons are way up. "Summer" has expanded to basically eight months out of the year. Beauty and the Beast, The Fate of the Furious, Thor: Ragnarok, and The Last Jedi are/will be MASSIVE moneymakers, and not a single one falls in a summer month this year. All said and done, this year as a whole is still going crush all previous records.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

But what they're not saying is that the spring and holiday seasons are way up. "Summer" has expanded to basically eight months out of the year. Beauty and the Beast, The Fate of the Furious, Thor: Ragnarok, and The Last Jedi are/will be MASSIVE moneymakers, and not a single one falls in a summer month this year. All said and done, this year as a whole is still going crush all previous records.
And all told, isn't the annual total more important than "summer?" Who cares if 3 months are down if all 12 is up?
TCTTS
AG
Absolutely. Exactly.
Quad Dog
AG
I feel like I've been reading that headline every year for 12 years. They are doing fine.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The summer just "officially" started this past weekend with Guardian vol. 2.

So far this year, we've already had:

Beauty & the Beast
Logan
Fate of the Furious
Lego Batman
Get Out
Kong: Skull Island
Boss Baby (?!)
Split
Fifty Shades Darker
John Wick Chapter 2

Of all those, all but John Wick grossed over $100 domestic (and Wick came damn close). This has been a damn good year so far for movies financially, and summer just started.

Let's look at what's ahead this summer:

Alien: Covenant - I think most agree Prometheus was a bust, so expectations have to be tempered. If it's more "Alien" than "Prometheus" it may be a hit.

Pirates: Dead Men Tell No Tales - people will still line up for this. Hell, I never saw the last one, but this one looks interesting. The last one wasn't a favorite, yet it still grossed over $1B at the global box office.

Baywatch - a comedy that probably wasn't too expensive, so it'll most likely turn a tidy profit thanks to the Rock.

Wonder Woman - I read the other day that early tracking has this opening between $115-140 million. Who knows, this may turn out to be at least a modest hit. If it gets decent reviews, it may have legs.

The Mummy - The subject matter and Tom Cruise I bet makes this a huge hit, especially overseas.

Cars 3 - won't bomb. The second wasn't well received, but it's Pixar and #2 still made half a billion worldwide.

Transformers: the Last Knight - c'mon, this'll still make $1B worldwide because explosions and Michael Bay. It is critic-proof.

Despicable Me 3 - not a whole lot of kids movies this summer, but this the Minions so this will bring the kids in in droves.

Spider-Man: Homecoming - will be another hit for Marvel.

War for the Planet of the Apes - the surprising franchise due to it's high quality.

Dunkirk - the blockbuster for adults. Older people who normally don't go to the movies will go to this.

Valerian & the City of a Thousand Planets - I'm afraid this one will underperform, precisely because it's an unknown property with unknown actors.

Atomic Blonde - a moderate hit.

The Dark Tower - the wild card. I get the feeling this will be trashed by critics and poor word of mouth will kill it.

And in the fall, we've got It, Blade Runner 2049, Kingsman: the Golden Circle, Thor: Ragnarok, Justice League, Star Wars: the Last Jedi, Jumanji, and Pitch Perfect 3.

I wouldn't worry too much about the summer.

20ag07
Quote:

Wonder Woman - I read the other day that early tracking has this opening between $115-140 million. Who knows, this may turn out to be at least a modest hit. If it gets decent reviews, it may have legs.
Not domestic. It's tracking at like $65M opening.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Wow, I was reading that wrong. What's weird is I see some sites saying that $65 million is pretty good considering what it is, while other sites are already calling it disappointing.
Bruce Almighty
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Wow, I was reading that wrong. What's weird is I see some sites saying that $65 million is pretty good considering what it is, while other sites are already calling it disappointing.

It might be a disappointment for DC while still being a good opening for a film in general. A 65 million opening could show a public' decreasing interest after a couple of mediocre films.
20ag07
They've created a catch 22, where a big gross is "proof audiences were starved for a female action hero" but a lower gross is "great for a female superhero, which we would always expect to be lower" in a moved goalposts scenario. Later that with the DC disappointments of late, and it's a convoluted story. Budget is allegedly $125-150, so a total $200M domestic gross would be considered successful enough.
TCTTS
AG
Added the final trailer for War for the Planet of the Apes, the debut trailer for Battle of the Sexes, and the surprisingly interesting-looking Good Time, starring an almost unrecognizable Robert Pattinson...

PlanoAggie
AG
Feels like they showed too much in that Dark Tower trailer
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
ummm yeah that Good Time....wow. interesting.

Looks like a Dog Day Afternoon modernized and brutalized.

TCTTS
AG
Yeah, kind of came out of nowhere. Had never even heard of it before today, but it's a great trailer. Looks really unique (and yes, brutal).
israeliag
AG
From the director of Snowpiercer, Okja, a Netflix film coming out 6/28, looks like a perfectly f---ed up Babe: Pig in the City.

Also, Tilda Swinton needs to be in more.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is it worrisome that the embargo has not lifted on Pirates 5? Hope it's good. Big fan of the series.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Is it worrisome that the embargo has not lifted on Pirates 5? Hope it's good. Big fan of the series.

They are worried about spoilers. Rumor is Jack does something stupid and eventually lucks his way into good fortune.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If you're a big fan of the series, then bad reviews shouldn't bother you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

There might be an embargo on reviews, but Twitter reactions have been allowed for weeks. It screened back in March. A decent amount of people have been saying it's the same old song and dance, but quite a few more are saying it's the best since the first one. I'll put it this way... I had no interest in seeing the fourth movie and never did, but am considering giving this one a shot.

I was actually hanging out with my buddy from Bruckheimer yesterday and he's seen it twice in theaters now (and countless edits along the way), has never held back his negative opinions of a couple of their own movies to me over the years, and he really digs this one for the most part. He also told me that if this one does a billion, they're likely doing a sixth - and probably final - movie. Would fully reunite the original cast for one last adventure (i.e. bring Keira Knightly back in a starring role, since all the other main players are already in this one, to varying degrees).
TCTTS
AG
For what it's worth, my buddy said to also see it in 3D. Said the water effects in 3D are some of the best he's ever seen. I told him to go to hell, since 3D is one of the worst things known to man, but for those interested...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Glad to hear those comments.

Get $10 off my next IMAX Regal ticket, so I think I've found the perfect candidate.
Tanya 93
My son and his friends are looking forward to Captain Underpants.
israeliag
AG
You have an eye patch don't you?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, looks like the embargo lifted. Critics not being kind.
Quinn
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well, looks like the embargo lifted. Critics not being kind.

It's getting almost triple the score that Baywatch is, so it's got that going for it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.