Blockbusters of 2017 - Highlights of a Sure-To-Be Record-Breaking Year

92,138 Views | 584 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
Btron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

That's the trailer I couldn't even finish. The music is so terrible.

Probably the worst music I've ever heard in a trailer. The singer goes on a crazy belting out solo toward the end that doesn't fit with the turn of the century film about circus
TCTTS
AG
I could only think of six movies to rank at this point, but seeing as we're exactly at the halfway point in the year, I wanted to put together a quick list of my favorites so far, if anyone's interested...

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
2. The Big Sick
3. Logan
4. The Beguiled
5. Baby Driver
6. The Lost City of Z
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

I could only think of six movies to rank at this point, but seeing as we're exactly at the halfway point in the year, I wanted to put together a list of my favorites so far, if anyone's interested...

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
2. The Big Sick
3. Logan
4. The Beguiled
5. Baby Driver
6. The Lost City of Z
No John Wick Chapter 2.....your list in invalid.
TajMaballer
AG
1. Baby Driver
2. Get Out
3. GotG Vol. 2
4. Raw
5. Lego Batman
6. Split
7. Wonder Woman
8. Logan
9. Colossal
10.Train to Busan

Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

I could only think of six movies to rank at this point, but seeing as we're exactly at the halfway point in the year, I wanted to put together a quick list of my favorites so far, if anyone's interested...

4. The Beguiled
5. Baby Driver

TCTTS
AG
Ha. I had a feeling people might give me sh*t for that. I can't think of a single legit gripe about Baby Driver, but I just didn't love it the way I was hoping to. Really, really enjoyed it, though. The Beguiled has somehow stuck with me more, and am surprised as anyone else.
Bruce Almighty
AG
1.GOTG 2
2.POTC

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

1.GOTG 2
2.POTC

So, you've seen exactly two movies this year?
Bruce Almighty
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Bruce Almighty said:

1.GOTG 2
2.POTC

So, you've seen exactly two movies this year?
Damn toddlers keeping me from going to the movies. Hopefully Spider-Man will be my third.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

M.C. Swag
AG
Jumanji looks dreadful
BCSGrubber
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Jumanji looks dreadful

And by dreadful you mean awesome
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

so the chick is immune to thorns, bug bites, and other pests, appparently?

edit: ok after watching the trailer, they at least address the silliness of it.
TCTTS
AG
Spot on...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looked at the domestic box office this year, and what's crazy to me is that Get Out outgrossed the following:
Pirates
Kong Skull Island
The Mummy
Transformers 5 (Likely)

And it was only a "modest" hit with $175M. (Though with a $4.5M budget.)

That's pretty nuts.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly my point.

A great movie, no matter how small, can now outgross huge blockbusters due to word-of-mouth. (And likely the RT score.)
wesag
AG
third coast.. said:

yea but it was a new and interesting concept and didnt suck. word of mouth drove it. super yuppie types like my wife and i went to it and loved it and i take ****s on white guilt. it was a cool ass flick

rule 1
wesag
AG
I can't find the article, but if you're saying sequels aren't a problem, I beg to differ.
Bruce Almighty
AG
wesag said:

I can't find the article, but if you're saying sequels aren't a problem, I beg to differ.

Sequels aren't the problem. Bad sequels are the problem.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

wesag said:

Sequels aren't the problem. Bad sequels are the problem.
This.

Telling a continuation of a character's arc or expanding a storyline among sequels is not a bad thing. It can actually be a very good thing.

Bad sequels or unnecessary sequels are the problem. Sequels made because China liked the last one are a problem.
TCTTS
AG
This x 1000. At least it's finally being acknowledged that 3D is dying...

schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

This x 1000. At least it's finally being acknowledged that 3D is dying...

I'm a 100 times more interested and willing in voluntarily paying extra for 70mm projection vs. 3d.
TCTTS
AG
Same.
schmendeler
AG
I enjoyed the 70mm projection of the hateful eight quite a bit. it actually made going to the movies feel like an event, rather than just seeing it as soon as possible. they also gave out a little full color flip book on the history of the film format and the photography of the film that was a nice bonus.
TCTTS
AG
Not necessarily for this, but an interesting conversation nonetheless...

GiveEmHellBill
AG
While an interesting question, the person does seem to miss a fundamental flaw in his question: Ticket prices do not cost the same.

I've heard from people on this board that ticket prices in some cities (NY and LA for example) are upwards of $15 regular price. You want 3D, XD or IMAX? That's even more. Many big cities charge $12 per ticket. Some chains (like Alamo Drafthouse) have their own pricing scale.

I'm lucky. I'm in B/CS and the Cinemark charges $6 for an evening ticket price to a standard theater screening (non XD or 3D). $4 before 6pm.

I guess the first question we need to ask is: why are ticket prices so much higher in certain cities? It's the same movie in Chicago as it is in New Braunfels. "Lion" showed here in B/CS earlier in the year. I would bet ticket prices here were much cheaper than they were in those prestige theaters in LA for the exact same experience.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm guessing it costs more in certain cities because cost of operation of the movie theater in those cities is more.
TX_AG_10
AG
In Houston? I looked on the Dunkirk website and they are only showing two theaters for 70mm/70mm IMAX. Which I'm really confused by. Wouldn't the IMAX in Tomball be the same things?
schmendeler
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

In Houston? I looked on the Dunkirk website and they are only showing two theaters for 70mm/70mm IMAX. Which I'm really confused by. Wouldn't the IMAX in Tomball be the same things?
no. that's "lie-max". it's a theater branded by IMAX for regular theaters that have been gussied up. a true IMAX screen is like what you saw as a kid at the museum of natural science. the only one showing first run movies that I know if in Houston is at the Edwards Marq-e there off I-10 and silber.

the 70mm presentation of the hateful eight that I saw in a theater was not imax. it was a different, rather rare film format that is used for that called ultra Panavision. it was the first film using that format since 1966 (Khartoum).
AliasMan02
AG
schmendeler said:

TX_AG_10 said:

no. that's "lie-max". it's a theater branded by IMAX for regular theaters that have been gussied up. a true IMAX screen is like what you saw as a kid at the museum of natural science. the only one showing first run movies that I know if in Houston is at the Edwards Marq-e there off I-10 and silber.

the 70mm presentation of the hateful eight that I saw in a theater was not imax. it was a different, rather rare film format that is used for that called ultra Panavision. it was the first film using that format since 1966 (Khartoum).
The one in Tomball is/was a real IMAX with a 70mm film projector. The only one in Houston other than in the museum district. That theater (formerly Silvarado) has been bought by... Regal, I think... but I assume they kept the real IMAX. They are showing Dunkirk Thursday night in that theater, with tickets available for advance purchase.

The Edwards IMAX is a Liemax large-format digital theater.
schmendeler
AG
I'm talking about the 60x80 foot screen that is right in your face. Edwards had that and the film projection but they might not be film anymore. Tomball might have the film projection but I've been in their Imax theater and it's not the massive screen like old school Imax.
TX_AG_10
AG
I've been doing a lot of reading up on the formats and this is my interpretation, based on the IMAX website and the Dunkirk movie website. There will be no IMAX 70mm film showings in Houston, only Dallas and San Antonio. There are two theaters showing the 70mm film (Greenway Plaza and Gulf Pointe). Now my question is should I take advantage of the resolution of the 70mm film? Or do I go to a local "IMAX" and take advantage of the large screen?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.