Blockbusters of 2017 - Highlights of a Sure-To-Be Record-Breaking Year

90,928 Views | 584 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, we're smack-dab in the middle of 2016, but as I've been building/assembling the next iteration of The Projection List, it recently hit me just how insane 2017 is going to be in terms of blockbusters and prestige material. So I figured it'd be fun to break it all down here, especially considering that I've taken the site down until the relaunch.

Even factoring in some fairly big changes between now and then, I still think 2017 will be a record-breaking year, by possibly the widest margin we've ever seen. Box office totals generally increases year-to-year, but this is going to be something different altogether. And yes, many of these are obviously eye-roll worthy in terms of sequels and reboots, but I'm not commenting on quality, just the sheer box office potential, with a few other more prestige-type films sprinkled in. The highlights...

EDIT: The list has been expanded somewhat to include a number of smaller, buzzed-about projects, and not just blockbusters. More prestige, Oscar-type fare will likely also be added as the year progresses...

12.01 - The Disaster Artist

12.01 - Wonder Wheel

12.08 - I, Tonya

12.08 - Just Getting Started

12.08 - The Shape of Water

12.15 - Star Wars: Episode VIII

12.20 - Jumanji

12.22 - All the Money in the World

12.22 - Bright

12.22 - Downsizing

12.22 - Father Figures

12.22 - Hostiles

12.22 - Pitch Perfect 3

12.22 - The Post

12.25 - The Greatest Showman

12.25 - Molly's Game

12.25 - Phantom Thread
FL_Ag1998
AG
Yeah, that looks really good, but here's the problem....I don't have the time or money to go see that many blockbusters!
Swing Your Saber
I'm not saying it won't be big, possibly even record breaking, but all those blockbusters will step on each other reducing revenue. The best will probably rise above while some otherwise massive films will underperform.
TCTTS
AG
Start saving now!
TCTTS
AG
No doubt. That's a given. I'm just talking in terms of potential. We've never seen this many movies in a single year that have the chance to explode like these do. But still, even if half of these underperform, it's still going to be all-time insane.
Buck O Five
AG
05-19-2017 - Baywatch (starring The Rock)
Should include mention of Alexandra Daddario

Is Granite Mountain the Smoke Jumpers movie from Entourage brought to life?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
05-19-2017 - Baywatch (starring The Rock)
Should include mention of Alexandra Daddario

Is Granite Mountain the Smoke Jumpers movie from Entourage brought to life?

Good call (fixed). And yeah, I think so? It definitely focuses on a forest fire where a lot of people died.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So Disney/Pixar is giving us a third Cars movie before a second Incredibles? Boo!
TCTTS
AG
quote:
So Disney/Pixar is giving us a third Cars movie before a second Incredibles? Boo!

June 21, 2019
redd38
AG
Many of those look like they're going to be duds. Definitely will be a strong year, but I feel like it'll fall short of 2015 (barring the death of a beloved lead actor or something like that).
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I've been lukewarm on most of this year's movies, but next year looks great.
PatAg
AG
I'm pretty psyched to see a Guy Ritchie King Arthur film. I also think Charlie Hunnam is a great actor.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Go Go Power Rangers
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm looking forward to Star Wars, Alien and 20,000 Leagues Undet the Sea the most.
Madmarttigan
AG
A ton of stuff on that list I know I would watch. Surprised that Thor, JL, and Star Wars are all at the end of the year. I don't know if I can think of a time 3 huge movies like that came during the holiday season., but then again my memory is terrible .

I think I'm most excited for Star Wars and Spider-Man just because I'm a huge spidey geek. Also can't wait to see a trailer for John Wick, I wonder if his kitten died this time .
CorpsAg11
AG
Not a big comic book movie fan but I am friggin stoked for
1) Alien Covenant
2) Star Wars VIII
3) Dark Tower
4) War for Planet of the Apes
5) It
6) Dunkirk
7) God Particle
Duncan Idaho
quote:
I'm pretty psyched to see a Guy Ritchie King Arthur film. I also think Charlie Hunnam is a great actor.

To quote almost everyone in almost every episode of SOA

Jesus Christ
YouBet
AG
John Wick sequel! Yes!

Intrigued with King Arthur. Actually, don't think I've seen that many Guy Ritchie movies but doesn't he do a lot of the multiple angles converging at the end kind of thing?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I see at least 4 guaranteed billion dollar movies. Beauty and the Beast, Fast 8, Pirates, and SW.

Might get 6+.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Though of that list, I would swap out Transformers for Pirates. Both are utterly unnecessary fifth installments, but I think the Depp domestic abuse allegations could potentially hurt Pirates pretty bad, while Tranformers is basically kicking off a whole new expanded Transformers universe with this new one, which will likely breathe new life into that franchise (one that was still doing crazy numbers even with the fourth movie).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You don't think having Bloom back will offset some of that?

I don't really see this stuff hurting the movie or Deop's career too much tbh, but maybe I'm being naive.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, Bloom could help, but he's not in it a ton. And who knows, the Depp stuff may very well have blown over by then.

Regardless, I know someone who's already seen it, and they were pretty lukewarm on it overall. But I also have a friend who worked on the first trailer (coming this summer), and they said the trailer at least looks awesome. And this is coming from someone who can't stand the franchise. Apparently the effects work on Javier Bardem is stunning, up there with what was done on Bill Nighy in the second and third movie.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Actually, you know what caught my eye among all of that?

07-21-2017 - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Faces (Luc Besson's return to big-budget, space opera sci-fi)

To this day I love The Fifth Element, and if he can come close to that it'll be fantastic. An original, unusual, clever, fun space action movie. Yes, I know we just had Guardians of the Galaxy, but that's tied into the whole Marvel universe. If Besson can give us another completely outside-the-box movie like Fifth Element....awesome!
SeattleAgJr
A WHOLE Lot of sequels and reboots there, assuming people want more of them. Recent box office softness says maybe not, especially if it comes off as a money grab.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
Actually, you know what caught my eye among all of that?

07-21-2017 - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Luc Besson's return to big-budget, space opera sci-fi)

To this day I love The Fifth Element, and if he can come close to that it'll be fantastic. An original, unusual, clever, fun space action movie. Yes, I know we just had Guardians of the Galaxy, but that's tied into the whole Marvel universe. If Besson can give us another completely outside-the-box movie like Fifth Element....awesome!

Yeah, it definitely has the potential to be pretty cool. It's been a passion project of Besson's since he was a kid, and the budget is said to have ballooned over $300M. It's going to be insane.

This link has some of the first pics from the project...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/25/valerian-first-look-luc-besson

... and this is a great behind-the-scenes video from MTV that really offers a sense of the vibe...

http://www.mtv.com/ontv/movieawards/videos/josh-horowitz-gets-the-inside-scoop-on-the-set-of-valerian-2016-mtv-movie-awards/1370606/#id=1739612
FL_Ag1998
AG
Nice, now I'm definitely excited for this one!
jabberwalkie09
AG
IIRC Valerian and Laureline was a sci-fi comic.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Yeah, I saw that in the link above, but hell, at least its not A) a remake or B) the 8th sequel of an overdone franchise or C) part of a larger, more complicated comic book universe.
PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:

To quote almost everyone in almost every episode of SOA

Jesus Christ
If that's all you know him from, then meh. Even then, he was pretty much the bright spot of that show.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I wouldn't say he was great in Pacific Rim either.
ashleyschaeffer
When's the next Sherlock movie?
ashleyschaeffer
TCTTS
AG
quote:
When's the next Sherlock movie?
Might actually be 2017 as well. There's a push to try to shoot this fall, which would mean a late-2017 release, but it's still up in the air at this point.
phatpat21
Awesome lineup of movies!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
So the Rock has three blockbusters coming out in the span of 3 1/2 months? Pretty f-ing impressive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.