Blockbusters of 2017 - Highlights of a Sure-To-Be Record-Breaking Year

92,213 Views | 584 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
MGS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bump

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/08/14/report-movie-box-office-on-track-for-lowest-in-25-years-as-spielberg-lucas-blockbuster-implosion-omen-prevails
TCTTS
AG
That's a really shortsighted - and short - article. Sure, there have been a bunch of bombs this year, but "If things continue as they have..." is the key sentence there. He conveneintly fails to mention that there's still another Marvel blockbuster, another DC blockbuster (on the heels of the most successful one so far), and a freaking Star Wars movie all in the final two months of the year. I'll be the first to admit that studios are increasingly releasing crap products more frequently than ever, but that article exists solely for clicks and nothing more. 2017 will likely see THREE billion-dollar films, one $900M+ film, and a handful of $700M-$900M films as well. I'd say that makes for a pretty damn good year overall.
TCTTS
AG
Just did some digging and discovered the disconnect. The Exhibitor Relations tweet the article is referencing is talking about TICKETS SOLD not box office, which the article fails to grasp. Box office-wise, 2017 is still on pace to become either the biggest or second biggest year ALL TIME. Again, I agree that studios definitely need to get their sh*t together in regards to getting people back in theaters (i.e. stop once for all with all the crap sequels no one is asking for), but as far as actual profit goes, they're doing just fine.
SeattleAgJr
I for one am glad a lot of garbage has not taken hold in the domestic box office.

I am glad apparent fatigue is setting in for series with an X# sequel.

Maybe, just maybe, the studios will take note (I doubt it) and stop recycling crap and try for more originality (even if lower budget).
TCTTS
AG
Right there with you on that. A wake-up call in that regard could do a lot of good in the long run.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Don't really feel like watching that preview.......but I am intrigued by the cleavage.
MooreTrucker
AG
Lots of it. Jessica Chastain is a butter-face, but nice otherwise.
M.C. Swag
AG
Butter face?
SeattleAgJr
M.C. Swag said:

Butter face?
He wants to put his butt up to her face.

but seriously...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=butter%20face
Gig-Em2003
AG
The New Trailer for Trailer:

M.C. Swag
AG
I know what the term means....I'm disagreeing with her being called one.
schmendeler
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Don't really feel like watching that preview.......but I am intrigued by the cleavage.

All I can say is, they better deliver on their promises in the trailer.
MooreTrucker
AG
To each his own
Bunk Moreland
I see her more as a 2 face..

In the right conditions she looks like a damn goddess.

In others, you wonder what the big deal is.
schmendeler
AG
ATM1876 said:

Does willem Dafoe have an Oscar?
M.C. Swag
AG
Haha I'm not saying she's a dime, but 'butterface' is straight up inaccurate. I grew up on the Fast & Furious franchise and I remember when 2 Fast came out, I thought Suki was the quintessential 'butterface.'

Lol Jessica Chastain has a much more appealing face (and other defining assets) that make her legit pretty. Not a goddess, but definitely attractive. (btw the 'goddess' moniker belongs solely to Olivia Wilde )
MooreTrucker
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Haha I'm not saying she's a dime, but 'butterface' is straight up inaccurate. I grew up on the Fast & Furious franchise and I remember when 2 Fast came out, I thought Suki was the quintessential 'butterface.'

Lol Jessica Chastain has a much more appealing face (and other defining assets) that make her legit pretty. Not a goddess, but definitely attractive. (btw the 'goddess' moniker belongs solely to Olivia Wilde )
I don't see it but like I said, to each his own.

As for the definition of "butterface", those other "defining assets" don't factor in there. It's strictly the face.
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

As for the definition of "butterface", those other "defining assets" don't factor in there. It's strictly the face.
Well no kidding, I was strictly comparing Chastain to my poster child butterface (suki). It was just an aside.
MooreTrucker
AG
Ah, I see. We just have different taste. Another example, while I think Olivia Wilde is quite attractive, I wouldn't call her a goddess. Currently, Gal Gadot fills that role for me.
TCTTS
AG

FL_Ag1998
AG
ATM1876 said:

TCTTS said:

This doesn't seem like it'd be my type of movie, but the combination of A24, Yorgos Lanthimos, Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman and George from Dunkirk will be enough to get me to the theater.

Really? George from Dunkirk is what sold it?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
ATM1876 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Really? George from Dunkirk is what sold it?
I threw that in there just to see if it would illicit a response, especially after the excellent trailer I posted yesterday only generated comments about the attractiveness of Jessica Chastain.
I wasn't talking about her face.......
TCTTS
AG
Now that the summer movie season has essentially come to an end, I've shored up the listings for the rest of the year so far in the OP and added a few more trailers. Just wanted to do a quick pass to flesh everything out as we gear up for Oscar season. The next two weekends are basically dead as far as theatrical releases go, but starting September 8 with It, the fall/holiday seasons kicks off with a bang and looks to be pretty packed overall.

And just FYI, speaking of It, I've talked to a couple of people recently who've seen it, and they could not have been more positive in their reactions. Been seeing a couple hints of that same basic sentiment on Twitter as well. Sounds like we're in for a treat with this one...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I feel like It is going to make a killing at the box office.
TCTTS
AG
Yep. No question. Can't remember the last time I was legit excited for a horror movie. Great way to kick off the fall season.
TCTTS
AG
I love Linklater, and I love this cast, but man, this does not look like an enjoyable time in the theater...

ja86
AG
i want to see that, but like you, theater may not be the place. I may want to wait till it hits the streaming services so I can watch with a big bottle of really good bourbon....
wangus12
AG
Same here
MooreTrucker
AG
Yep. It looks like a wonderful movie, but not exactly popcorn material.
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.