Blockbusters of 2017 - Highlights of a Sure-To-Be Record-Breaking Year

92,185 Views | 584 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Liam Neeson...wow. ok.

My thought before seeing anything about this movie was either JK Simmons or Bryan Cranston should play Mark Felt......but it looked pretty good. Just not the casting I would have thought. But it could work....I just hope his daughter isn't kidnapped in the middle of it (distracting).
mslags97
AG
I have seen these 5, and they were all great, and I would put all of them in my 2017 top 10 list. I would add:

Spiderman
Wind River--my #1 of the year
Wonder Woman
Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
Logan

That is just off the top of my head; I am sure I am missing some others as well. I think it has been a good to great summer. Still looking forward to several to be released this year including:

American Assassin
Thor: Ragnorak
It
The Last Jedi
American Made
Blade Runner 2049
and a few others

haven't seen Atomic Blonde or Detroit yet
MooreTrucker
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Liam Neeson...wow. ok.

My thought before seeing anything about this movie was either JK Simmons or Bryan Cranston should play Mark Felt......but it looked pretty good. Just not the casting I would have thought. But it could work....I just hope his daughter isn't kidnapped in the middle of it (distracting).
TCTTS
AG
Looks great. Getting a lot of positive reviews so far too.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Full trailer next Tuesday...

TCTTS
AG

MrPlow2010
AG
Don't forget the new trailer to Bad Moms 2 dropped today. Can't wait to see what those moms get into next.

Jk it looks even worse than the first one. I don't even know how that is possible.
Human
AG
Well, well...

Quote:

LOS ANGELES Hollywood had a horrible summer.

Between the first weekend in May and Labor Day, a sequel-stuffed period that typically accounts for 40 percent of annual ticket sales, box office revenue in North America totaled $3.8 billion, a 15 percent decline from the same span last year. To find a slower summer, you would have to go back 20 years. Business has been so bad that America's three biggest theater chains have lost roughly $4 billion in market value since May.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/business/media/rotten-tomatoes-box-office.html?referer=http://drudgereport.com/

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Ah, yes... Human. The weirdo who periodically comes to the Entertainment board to make fun of people for being interested in entertainment.
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

Reddit nerds will love this one
AliasMan02
AG
Everyone should love it, nerd or not, because Tesla rules and Edison was a self-aggrandizing sociopath.
schmendeler
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Everyone should love it, nerd or not, because Tesla rules and Edison was a self-aggrandizing sociopath.

Welcome, Reddit nerd!
israeliag
AG
I'm possibly most looking forward to this one most out of any non-franchise film currently.

Nicholas Hoult has some shoes to fill though - David Bowie's Tesla in The Prestige was wonderful.
TCTTS
AG
Molly's Game - Aaron Sorkin's next, which comes out November 22 - just premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival to a ton of positive buzz. Sounds very Erin Brockovich-esque, and like it could be the crowd-pleaser of the holiday season. Great to hear, as it's Sorkin's directorial debut as well.

Here's the trailer again...

Farmer1906
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Have yall heard of Where the Hell is Tesla? Completely ridiculous and awesome book.

GiveEmHellBill
AG

Oh hai, full trailer.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
That looks absolutely fantastic!
TCTTS
AG
Saw that with It over the weekend. First time in I don't know how long I've seen a trailer in theaters before seeing it online, and it really does look even better than I imagined it could be. The movie itself screened at the Toronto International Film festival last night - first time since SXSW in March - and everyone is raving about it all over again. Cannot wait for December!
israeliag
AG
This feels like the right place to put this article on the correlation between Rotten Tomatoes driving low-box office numbers (as some execs have claimed). Spoiler alert: there are none:

https://medium.com/@ybergquist/cognitive-hollywood-part-1-data-shows-box-office-economics-in-turmoil-411a4b22f858

Quote:

The math is pretty overwhelming in saying there was no (positive or negative) correlation in 2017 between Rotten Tomatoes Scores and box office returns.

The data showed virtually no correlation between Rotten Tomatoes Scores and worldwide box office revenue for 2017 so far: 12% PMCC correlation, and a .009 r-square (meaning there is likely no statistical relationship between the two variables).

Even more surprising, the impact of Rotten Tomatoes scores on opening weekend box office seemed even lower: .08 PMCC score (only 8% correlation), and a -0.001 r-square.

That's for all 2017 titles so far. What about the Summer titles, which the executives quoted by The New York Times complained about?

Nada. Here, either, we did not find any meaningful impact of Rotten Tomatoes scores on total gross for summer movies (May through Labor Day): .07 PMCC score (only 7% correlation), with a -.006 r-square, which is actually less correlation than for the entire 2017 slate.
And my favorite part, which is what we've all known:
Quote:

when Hollywood executives complain about Rotten Tomatoes scores, they actually complain about their audiences' tastes, because it's almost the same thing.
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Oh hai, full trailer.
This will be interesting to me. I don't see how it can be made without just completely ridiculing Tommy Wiseau. I guess they're ok with that, but it seems kind of savage to me.
TCTTS
AG
Tommy has seen the movie and is apparently ok with it. It's based on the book of the same name, so it's not like any of this is that new to him.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Re: Downsizing

I like it .....but I feel like it better have some dark edge to it or it's just a gimmick.

Reminds me of the Truman Show...great concept, great production value but....that movie needed to go dark somewhere.
israeliag
AG
That's an interesting point. Although I thought Truman Show hit that dark ok - maybe it went more sad than dark - but the concept alone is pretty crazy. Can't say I don't think once in a while if I'm in an elaborate Israeliag Show.
Sex Panther
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Oh hai, full trailer.

I'd been looking forward to this movie, and figured it would be really entertaining... but I'm absolutely shocked by just how good it looks.
Furlock Bones
AG
you guys are joking right. the disaster artist looks ****ing awful.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Furlock Bones said:

M.C. Swag
AG
Furlock Bones said:

....are you serious?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Wrong. The Room was awful. This does not look awful. Please learn the difference.
TCTTS
AG
Pro Ag
AG
israeliag said:

This feels like the right place to put this article on the correlation between Rotten Tomatoes driving low-box office numbers (as some execs have claimed). Spoiler alert: there are none:

https://medium.com/@ybergquist/cognitive-hollywood-part-1-data-shows-box-office-economics-in-turmoil-411a4b22f858

Quote:

The math is pretty overwhelming in saying there was no (positive or negative) correlation in 2017 between Rotten Tomatoes Scores and box office returns.

The data showed virtually no correlation between Rotten Tomatoes Scores and worldwide box office revenue for 2017 so far: 12% PMCC correlation, and a .009 r-square (meaning there is likely no statistical relationship between the two variables).

Even more surprising, the impact of Rotten Tomatoes scores on opening weekend box office seemed even lower: .08 PMCC score (only 8% correlation), and a -0.001 r-square.

That's for all 2017 titles so far. What about the Summer titles, which the executives quoted by The New York Times complained about?

Nada. Here, either, we did not find any meaningful impact of Rotten Tomatoes scores on total gross for summer movies (May through Labor Day): .07 PMCC score (only 7% correlation), with a -.006 r-square, which is actually less correlation than for the entire 2017 slate.
And my favorite part, which is what we've all known:
Quote:

when Hollywood executives complain about Rotten Tomatoes scores, they actually complain about their audiences' tastes, because it's almost the same thing.

Nice find. Glad I dropped in this thread and saw this. If I want to see a movie, it has to have a sub 30 RT score for me to be driven away at the theater (probably still see it when it hits movie channels). And just because a movie has a RT score of 95+, I won't go if I have no interest.

Then there are ones like Wonder Woman where the timing just didn't line up and I still haven't seen it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.