*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,454 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This will be the greatest movie of all time.
double aught
AG
YNWA_AG said:

YouTube link
The trailers keep getting better.
Keegan99
AG
Admiral Kazansky
Stive
AG
Ok….I loved it. But am I the only one that doesn't like that they told/showed us a bunch of stuff that would have been nice, subtle stuff to find out while watching? (Iceman, Goose's son's attitude towards him, etc)

I know some people knew or assumed that was Goose's son but the average viewer that isn't deep diving on it wouldn't have known that from the early previews.
jr15aggie
AG
Duncan Idaho
Hopefully this means we will get the sequel to a military air combat movie that we all want.

Fire Birds 2.
The Dirty Sock
Stive said:

Ok….I loved it. But am I the only one that doesn't like that they told/showed us a bunch of stuff that would have been nice, subtle stuff to find out while watching? (Iceman, Goose's son's attitude towards him, etc)

I know some people knew or assumed that was Goose's son but the average viewer that isn't deep diving on it wouldn't have known that from the early previews.

And i'm sure gooses son won't die in the end and maverick will probably sacrifice himself as well.
The Porkchop Express
The snowy landscape has me hoping this is secretly a Top Gun / Empire Strikes Back / Inception / Age of Ultron crossover.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Keegan99
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Hopefully this means we will get the sequel to a military air combat movie that we all want.

Fire Birds 2.

What Iron Eagle are we on now? 5*?

(*First thought they only made 3, but Google tells me they made a 4th for a direct-to-video flick... My God...)
Gigem314
AG
Quote:

Absolutely. I was already pumped for this one. But wow!
Old School Brother
Jennifer Connelly is Penny Benjamin....you think they'll go ballistic?
spadilly
S
Finally a firm release date?
AliasMan02
AG
Just checking in to see if TCTTS is okay...
aTmAg
AG
TCTTS right now:

LMCane
not watching the trailers

so don't release any spoilers on this thread!
The Porkchop Express
Would TC go to a secret screening of it tonight if the only way in was to let Will Smith slap him in the face?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
tk for tu juan
Old School Brother said:

Jennifer Connelly is Penny Benjamin....you think they'll go ballistic?

There is a character named Amelia Benjamin on the cast list. Guessing he has already flown below the hard deck
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There will be shirtless guys playing volleyball and a thin layer of homoeroticism throughout.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Stive
AG
LMCane said:

How about avoid the thread while the rest of us discuss? Or is that amount of self control just too much to ask?
jeffk
AG
LMCane said:

IDK, if it's in the trailers it's hard to really consider something a spoiler and not discuss it. Probably best to not read the movie thread if you don't want to hear about anything that's in a movie trailer.
Keegan99
AG
Hangman? More like hung man, amirite?
Keegan99
AG
Also, any info on when tickets go on sale? Checked at local IMAX theaters and nothing yet.
Thrax
Oh look it's only been three years since the original teaser
tk for tu juan
Callsign Fanboy, will he be a fanboy of Maverick or something else? One article had him as a Star Trek fanboy due to the font used. Looks like he is the RIO/WSO for Payback
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Some of this looks awesome and some looks dumb and fake as hell. You know I'm still gonna go see it though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Where is TC? Is he safe? Is he alright?

torrid
AG
Keegan99 said:

Admiral Kazansky
I hope they keep any Val Kilmer cameo to just the picture on the wall. I think it would be disrespectful to have him return to such an iconic character in his current state.
Keegan99
AG
torrid said:

Keegan99 said:

Admiral Kazansky
I hope they keep any Val Kilmer cameo to just the picture on the wall. I think it would be disrespectful to have him return to such an iconic character in his current state.

Generally agree.

And I think they would have to, given what we saw in the trailer. Need to have a certain look to be the Admiral of the Pacific Fleet.
Max Power
AG
double aught said:

YNWA_AG said:

YouTube link
They've been working on them since the Obama administration.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, was up 'til 4 AM last night working, so I slept in, then had some more stuff to do earlier.

While this is still hands down my most anticipated movie of the year, and this trailer features some of the coolest individual shots we've seen so far, I have to say, IMO, it's the weakest of the bunch for me. I thought the first two trailers had more of an epic feel, featured a bit more build-up, and were far more chill-bump-inducing. Still, the movie itself looks absolutely incredible, I'm just talking purely about the edits of the trailers themselves. Either way, I can't wait for Memorial Day Weekend.
TCTTS
AG
Also, here's the 4K version...

Keegan99
AG
Yea, this has more quick cuts and seems to be going for a "two minute movie" approach?

Gorgeous in 4K, though.

First movie since The Dark Knight that I'm legitimately geeked to see in IMAX, especially given how much was shot in IMAX using the new cameras.
SteveA
AG
PENNY BENJAMIN!
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. I have it on good authority that Cruise didn't want a single "story" trailer / didn't want to do the "two minute movie" approach. So, if the movie wasn't delayed, I don't know that we would have ever even seen a third trailer like this. I think they just would have stuck with the first two trailers, or would have done like a final, one-minute IMAX trailer or something, but the delay likely forced their hand to do a third full trailer, and they had no choice to but to reveal more story this go-around.

But yeah, regardless, the IMAX stuff looks incredible. The past two trailers have seen expanded ratio IMAX versions release as well, so I'm hoping we get the same for this one. Will obviously post when and if we do.
Keegan99
AG
Any insight into fraction of runtime that will be true IMAX?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.