*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

309,568 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by YNWA_AG
A-A Ron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got my tickets for tomorrow afternoon, can't wait.
aTmAg
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

aTmAg said:

Is it good for people who know a lot about these planes? Or is it eye rolling? My geezer co-workers said that the lack of realism ruined the original for them (they saw it as adults while working at defense contractor).
I'm curious what the "lack of realism" is you are referring to. I don't recall thinking I was watching miniatures. Or was it that they used F-5's as the MiGs?
Frankly, the stuff they complained about would make a boring ass movie. Like "they never get that close!", "missiles are almost always out of visual range!", "guns are useless!", etc. If they made a realistic movie, most viewers would have no idea what's going on and it would have to be explained to them.

When this movie was first announced, my idea of how they could make it exciting with modern aircraft is for the foreign enemies to have caught up with the US on stealth technology.. So that now that nobody could see their enemy on radar anymore. And have it go back to WW2 rules with 5th gen aircraft. Then we would have them in close with each other and all of that. (That is still not totally realistic.. but it would probably satisfy the dudes I work with).
K Bo
AG
Got IMAX tickets for tomorrow afternoon & couldn't pass on taking seat F14. Top Gun is my favorite movie of all time and I am super pumped about this, even more so after all the positive press it's already receiving.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
aTmAg said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

aTmAg said:

Is it good for people who know a lot about these planes? Or is it eye rolling? My geezer co-workers said that the lack of realism ruined the original for them (they saw it as adults while working at defense contractor).
I'm curious what the "lack of realism" is you are referring to. I don't recall thinking I was watching miniatures. Or was it that they used F-5's as the MiGs?
Frankly, the stuff they complained about would make a boring ass movie. Like "they never get that close!", "missiles are almost always out of visual range!", "guns are useless!", etc. If they made a realistic movie, most viewers would have no idea what's going on and it would have to be explained to them.

When this movie was first announced, my idea of how they could make it exciting with modern aircraft is for the foreign enemies to have caught up with the US on stealth technology.. So that now that nobody could see their enemy on radar anymore. And have it go back to WW2 rules with 5th gen aircraft. Then we would have them in close with each other and all of that. (That is still not totally realistic.. but it would probably satisfy the dudes I work with).
Ah, yes. Those are valid complaints, but like you said, it would be totally boring without all those Hollywood depictions of aerial combat. Kinda like watching 2001 right after any other science fiction movie - man, those 2001 spaceships make absolutely no sound in space. Boring!
jr15aggie
AG
5 more hours for me. I will no doubt be back later today to post impressions.

I'm actually less pumped today than I have been in recent weeks. I think I'm just ready to see what all the fuss is about!
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

'03ag
aTmAg said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

aTmAg said:

Saw it. They'll complain about all the same stuff. Because like you said they have to shoot it this way to make it interesting

They covered all this in the DVD extras of the original. The Navy argued with them quite a bit over all the same points. Finally they filmed it like the Navy wanted. Then they showed them the footage and even the Navy agreed it looked like crap. So they went about shooting it how they wanted and ended up making the greatest recruitment video the Navy has ever had.
RadAg14
AG
Tonight.

BQ78
AG
Do they explain how he managed to stay in the navy for over 30 years, while "avoiding" promotion?
jr15aggie
AG
BQ78 said:

Do they explain how he managed to stay in the navy for over 30 years, while "avoiding" promotion?
Well technically it should only be 20 something years after the original... not sure how old Gooses son is in the movie, but if he's around 30 years old the movie should be taking place around 2010.

I'll find out in a couple hours if they even mention what year it is or if it's just assumed to be "modern time".
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
BQ78 said:

It's one of life's great mysteries.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Lathspell
AG
Who gives a crap if they suspend a little reality?! It's mother****ing Top Gun. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it!
Keegan99
AG
I'm cool with suspending disbelief as long as they don't bring Goose back as a force ghost.
The Collective
AG
Force Ghost Goose returns to flip off Iceman.
The Kraken
AG
jr15aggie said:

BQ78 said:

Well technically it should only be 20 something years after the original... not sure how old Gooses son is in the movie, but if he's around 30 years old the movie should be taking place around 2010.

I'll find out in a couple hours if they even mention what year it is or if it's just assumed to be "modern time".
No year is mentioned but based on the planes shown on the flight deck, it's within the last few years.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Blanco Jimenez
AG
IMAX tickets secured for Monday. Seat F18. Going to be a long wait.
TCTTS
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
Going to see it in imax in around 40 minutes
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well my perfect dead center seat was lost because the 6:15 pm IMAX showing was changed to 7 pm and they cancelled my ticket without ever informing me.

Luckily the seat two seats over was somehow still open, one of maybe a handful left.

That could've sucked. Sitting in the theater.
TCTTS
AG
They can do that? Man, that sucks. Glad it worked out, though.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
1.5 hrs and counting.
jkag89
To warm up those who a going tonight!
TCTTS
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
Just got out of an IMAX showing. I can't believe what I just witnessed. Absolutely amazing.
jr15aggie
AG
Now that was a good flick! I won't overhyped it, but pretty much right inline with the early previews... Tom pulled it off!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Here we go….

See you on the other thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was ****ing AWESOME.
wangus12
AG
wangus12 said:

New discovery. My wife has never seen Top Gun.

I've already texted my lawyer

I have rectified the situation. Divorce averted
wangus12
AG
Wife's takeaways:

Goose is the best
Maverick is a jerk
Lots of sweating
They suck at vball (wife played D1 vball)
Decay
AG
wangus12 said:

Wife's takeaways:

Goose is the best
Maverick is a jerk
Lots of sweating
They suck at vball (wife played D1 vball)

Damn remind her Tom Cruise is like four feet tall. He did good considering his disadvantage!
Grown Pear
AG
Just got back from the theatre. Holy smokes they hit a grand slam with it. So freaking good!!!
JB!98
AG
So a little story from a town of 8000 people. I thought my son and I could sneak into the 10:30 showing of the movie tonight. Nope! They are showing it on all three screens and it was sold out all day. I was able to get tickets to the 4:30 showing tomorrow though! That is 1800 tickets for the showings that they have sold today.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Chipotlemonger
AG
JB!98 said:

So a little story from a town of 8000 people. I thought my son and I could sneak into the 10:30 showing of the movie tonight. Nope! They are showing it on all three screens and it was sold out all day. I was able to get tickets to the 4:30 showing tomorrow though! That is 1800 tickets for the showings that they have sold today.

This thing is going to be massive.
TCTTS
AG
Hard to believe Cruise has never had a $100M opening. That finally changes this weekend, it's just a question as to whether it's a "modest" $125M or so, or does it go supernova and do $175M+?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Honestly with the word of mouth it might actually hit $150M.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.