*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,463 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excuse me, but it's...

dahouse
AG
Just saw a thing that said July 2018. Any more news?
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
TCTTS
AG
July 2019. Not '18.
dahouse
AG
Boo. Hiss.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Giggy Smalls
jabberwalkie09 said:

So, I relayed the bit that Maverick will fly a helicopter in Top Gun 2 to my friend that's a Hornet pilot since he's on the boat. Here's his reaction in gif form:

Nic Cage did show us though that you can still "hit the breaks & they'll fly right by" in a helicopter. Mav's got this.

Pahdz
Man loved that terrible movie
jr15aggie
AG
Fire Birds! Oh man, that was something that I really didn't need to remember. Pretty sure their marketing campaign was "if you liked top gun, you'll love fire birds".
Pahdz
how could you forget Nic Cage training with panties on his head?
TCTTS
AG
I haven't been told what yet, only that I need to be paying attention to Cruise's Instagram in a few hours...

https://www.instagram.com/tomcruise/

A little surprise something may or may not be going on in San Diego today...
TCTTS
AG
YES.

https://instagr.am/p/BjbjBaRjE7H
TCTTS
AG
After 30 years, I can't believe that a new shot of Cruise as Maverick now exists. I'm irrationally stoked for this movie.
TCTTS
AG
Hearing from my buddy that that photo was taken like five hours ago. Crazy.
claym711
AG
Can't wait for this!
aTmAg
AG
F-18? I thought they were going to be using newer planes.
aggieforester05
AG
aTmAg said:

F-18 is still the primary fighter and carrier aircraft for the Navy. The F-35 is still in its infancy and probably too expensive/inaccessible. Remember the first movie used F-14 Tomcats which were the primary Navy fighter at that time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jeffk
AG
DANGER ZONE.
MandoArms
Also if they want to keep the theme of having Maverick and a backseat WSO then they have to use the F18, F35s are only single seaters.
IG: mando_arms
Bunk Moreland

Also, Bart.Scott/gif
ORAggieFan
Where is the new one based out of? Since the first movie Miramar has moved from Navy to Marines.
aTmAg
AG
aggieforester05 said:

aTmAg said:

F-18 is still the primary fighter and carrier aircraft for the Navy. The F-35 is still in its infancy and probably too expensive/inaccessible. Remember the first movie used F-14 Tomcats which were the primary Navy fighter at that time.
I thought this was set a decade or so in the future
BourbonAg
AG
I think the Topgun program is in Nevada now. Not sure how that will play in.
TCTTS
AG
This week's filming is in San Diego, but is very brief. Then I know at least a portion of filming is taking place in Florida, but it sounds like the bulk is being shot in either Nevada or New Mexico, I can't remember which. Pretty sure it's Nevada, though. And just FYI, production doesn't kick off in full until September. Whatever is being done in San Diego this week is way ahead of everything else that's being filmed. I haven't asked, but if I had to guess, I'm betting they're shooting footage for a brief teaser this week. To be attached with Mission: Impossible - Fallout in July. But that's only a guess. Will find out more in the coming weeks and let you guys know.
jeffk
AG
Would be awesome if they incorporate the jukebox and bar from the first movie into the teaser/trailer somehow. It's still alive and kicking in San Diego as far as I know.
Gigem314
AG
jeffk said:

DANGER ZONE.
Obviously it's a different musical era now than the mid 80's (though maybe not as different as a few years ago), but there's just something about hearing the intro to that song (and Top Gun Anthem). That IS Top Gun. I mean, they kind of have to incorporate that into the sequel don't they?

Can't wait to see this. And kudos to Cruise for being willing to do it.
Giggy Smalls
CGJ reprising his role as Sundown Sr.

TCTTS
AG
Gigem314 said:

jeffk said:

DANGER ZONE.
Obviously it's a different musical era now than the mid 80's (though maybe not as different as a few years ago), but there's just something about hearing the intro to that song (and Top Gun Anthem). That IS Top Gun. I mean, they kind of have to incorporate that into the sequel don't they?

Harold Faltermeyer is back doing the score, so I'd expect the original score to be utilized if not heavily, at least to a degree. Also, Jospeh Kosinski, the director, oversaw two of my favorites scores over the past few years - Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy score and M83's Oblivion score. So I have no doubt the music will be on point, and likely just the right blend of new and old.
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, double post.
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, Jospeh Kosinski, the director, oversaw two of my favorites scores over the past few years - Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy score and M83's Oblivion score. So I have no doubt the music will be on point, and likely just the right blend of new and old.
Amen
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Let me know when Michael Ironside is cast.
double aught
AG
Umm...Jester's dead (woohoo!)
ORAggieFan
TCTTS said:

This week's filming is in San Diego, but is very brief. Then I know at least a portion of filming is taking place in Florida, but it sounds like the bulk is being shot in either Nevada or New Mexico, I can't remember which. Pretty sure it's Nevada, though. And just FYI, production doesn't kick off in full until September. Whatever is being done in San Diego this week is way ahead of everything else that's being filmed. I haven't asked, but if I had to guess, I'm betting they're shooting footage for a brief teaser this week. To be attached with Mission: Impossible - Fallout in July. But that's only a guess. Will find out more in the coming weeks and let you guys know.

Local news covering the filming from today here in SD. Cruise on a motorcycle on closed highway.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome. Now that the cat's out of the bag, I can say that it's actually the original Kawasaki from the first film. And Cruise may or may not be wearing his original jacket as well.
baumenhammer
AG
Breaking news!

In the interest of keeping a timeline accurate storyline, both Tom and Val will return as pilots, but as retired pilots now flying for FedEx and UPS respectively.

Plot will center around competing for a prized delivery contract for rubber dogs#!+ out of HongKong
Gigem314
AG
TCTTS said:

Gigem314 said:

jeffk said:

DANGER ZONE.

Harold Faltermeyer is back doing the score, so I'd expect the original score to be utilized if not heavily, at least to a degree. Also, Jospeh Kosinski, the director, oversaw two of my favorites scores over the past few years - Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy score and M83's Oblivion score. So I have no doubt the music will be on point, and likely just the right blend of new and old.
Awesome. Appreciate the info.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.