*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,459 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This was one of my favorite movie experiences. I didn't think it was possible for me to enjoy movies like this anymore... felt like I was in the theater for 30 minutes.
Decay
AG
I am absolutely going to be part of the crowd that sees this multiple times, but not this weekend. I know movies love holidays but sometimes people have plans on those holidays. Looking forward to sneaking out of work in a week or two and also dragging the family as appropriate.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I enjoyed the hell out of it. It definitely didn't disappoint.

And I got a cool mini movie poster.
TCTTS
AG
double aught said:

TC is the ultimate Hollywood hype man.

"Hype" implies a level of disingenuousness. In truth, the only time I ever "hype" anything like this is when I'm genuinely passionate/excited.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I arrived at the Marq-E to see it last night and realized that my ticket was for the middle seat of the VERY FRONT ROW so I requested a refund on the Regal app and left. I'll see it in IMAX at a local theater on Friday.

I have a coworker who saw it last night at the Samsung Onyx theater at the Richmond/Katy Star Cinema Grill and he said it was amazing. I'll be reserving a time there for next week.
JayHowdy!
Keegan99 said:

I think the strong word of mouth will be seen with the second weekend hold.

A lot of folks already have Memorial Day Weekend plans.

I have plans for the weekend, and part of that plan is to squeeze this movie in on IMAX, Monday afternoon.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Damn. I'm going Friday night and I'm so jacked.

MooreTrucker
AG
Going tomorrow to Alamo Drafthouse with friends.

I'll be seeing it in IMAX at a not-too-distant later date.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

double aught said:

TC is the ultimate Hollywood hype man.

"Hype" implies a level of disingenuousness. In truth, the only time I ever "hype" anything like this is when I'm genuinely passionate/excited.

Since when?

As the biggest hype man for Avatar 2 on this board, it's certainly not disingenuous.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

hype

verb

promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits
TCTTS
AG
If anything, I can't wait for this movie to finally come out so we can all move to the spoiler thread, this thread can fade away, and my OCD no longer has to deal with how staff reformatted the thread title to say "TOP GUN : Maverick" to f/ck with me, with the extra space before the colon and mismatched capitalization. It's driven me nuts for three years now.
Keegan99
AG
It could be worse. You're not having to eat a shoe.
TCTTS
AG
This is true.
Decay
AG
Request staff change title to ToP gUn; MaVeRiCk
TCTTS
AG
Gigem314
AG
TCTTS said:

Everything about that was perfect. The editing, the music, the shots. Wow.

And that was Tom in his element. What a great way to have some fun with it. His piloting skills are very impressive. No doubt that played a major role in him getting the rest of the cast up to speed.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

That was magnificent! How much fun would that be?????

That oughta show the doubters that he really can fly one of those things.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

hype

verb

promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits

But YOU'RE not being disingenuous by hyping it. Others might not care, but you certainly do.

To me this is the difference between hyping and shilling.
hoosierAG
AG
Sorry if already posted, but 97% critics (198 reviews) and 99% viewers on RT.
CoachRTM
AG
Just sat down in theater. Super pumped.

Will give a spoiler free review later tonight.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Tomorrow is hopefully the night.

I bought a ticket for Friday, but now can't make it…

So I bought a ticket to the early screen last night and a kid got sick… missed it.

Tomorrow night, imax, seat f14 (f18 was a handicap only, didn't want to be that guy).

Fingers crossed!
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
wangus12
AG
New discovery. My wife has never seen Top Gun.

I've already texted my lawyer
Quincey P. Morris
AG
wangus12 said:

That's not her fault. That's your failure as a husband.
The Collective
AG
wangus12 said:

Tell her you've lost that loving feeling.
wangus12
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

wangus12 said:

The failure is that of her father's who should have raised her better. Dude went to a military academy in the late 80's. No excuse
Quincey P. Morris
AG
wangus12 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

wangus12 said:

The failure is that of her father's who should have raised her better. Dude went to a military academy in the late 80's. No excuse

That's fair. You should at least get some kind of retroactive dowry with interest.
The Collective
AG
My wife had never seen Indiana Jones when I met her. Some people just had terrible childhoods.
Aggiemike96
AG
Saw it tonight. Outstanding! Plan to see the imax version next.
CoachRTM
AG
Just got home…… Bottom line - it's freaking awesome. Exactly what a summer blockbuster should be.

Is it perfect? No - I have small some nit-picks. Who cares, it's the best action/flying sequences I've ever seen. Just jaw-dropping editing/filming. There's enough call-backs to the original movie to get you fired up, but not too much that it takes away from this version.

The RT score will stay somewhere in the high 90s because it's a straight yes/no answer and it's hard to imagine someone NOT liking that movie. I do think the vast majority of Top Gun fans will have opinions anywhere between "it's the best action movie I've ever seen" and "it was pretty good but I wish they did (or didn't) do xxxxx." I'm somewhere in between the two, but it was a really really fun time at the movies.
TCTTS
AG
To prep for this weekend, I just rewatched the original for the first time in years…

- It's still one of the best-looking movies I've ever seen. I love, love, love Tony Scott's cinematography. I just want to bask in this thing and live in every frame.

- It's such a unique movie in that it's basically a competition piece/character study, except with jets and dog fighting. It's Pete Mitchell vs. himself (and the ghost of his father) and that's about it. So refreshingly simple and no-nonsense.

- That said, it really does feel incredibly rushed, as some were saying a few pages back. Almost like it was originally a three-hour movie or a four-part limited series stuffed into two hours. The love story, especially, is kind of nuts. Charlie goes from cool, calm, collected, and in command, to infatuated-school-girl-with-a-crush in no time flat, head-over-heals for Mav, with really no explanation in between. It's clearly just a fling (seeing as she takes the promotion), but she also seems ready to risk it all for him. It's so weird. Though, their final scene together, with the Righteous Brothers callback over the jukebox, is one of my all-time favorite final scenes.

Overall, I'm really glad I rewatched it, as there were so many little things I forgot that I'm guessing will serve as call-backs.

Bring on Saturday!
aTmAg
AG
Is it good for people who know a lot about these planes? Or is it eye rolling? My geezer co-workers said that the lack of realism ruined the original for them (they saw it as adults while working at defense contractor).
The Collective
AG
You'll probably hate it
aTmAg
AG
The Collective said:

You'll probably hate it
I loved the first one. But I as a kid when I saw it.
The Collective
AG
This is my industry. The movie is fine - there are several moments of total suspension of disbelief, but I thought it was fun.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
aTmAg said:

Is it good for people who know a lot about these planes? Or is it eye rolling? My geezer co-workers said that the lack of realism ruined the original for them (they saw it as adults while working at defense contractor).
I'm curious what the "lack of realism" is you are referring to. I don't recall thinking I was watching miniatures. Or was it that they used F-5's as the MiGs?
#FJB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.