*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

309,538 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by YNWA_AG
Gig-Em2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Philo B 93 said:

My teenage kids attend a large school and love being modern teenagers. I told them this is the biggest movie of the decade. They let me know that if not for me, they wouldn't even know about this movie. Ie, their friends aren't talking about it. At all.

This isn't the same Top Gun we had in '86. Tom Cruise is ancient to kids, and Jennifer Connolly looks like their mom. That's right, I said it. Even Rooster is old enough to be their dad.

When I was 16, I liked Clint Eastwood. Yep, Firefox isn't a browser to me, it's a badass jet that Clint Eastwood stole from the commies. But my choices were limited. The competition was 3 TV stations, Atari 2600, about 30 cassettes (including mix tapes), and whatever 80s teen comedy was showing. And I like Iron Eagle a lot more than Firefox. These days, a grandfather-aged hero has a hard time competing with TikTok, Outer Banks streaming, weed vapes, and Snapchat.

But I'm glad the adults are showing up for it.

Give it time dude. It will soon infiltrate their Tik Toks and their "modern teen" bs will make them go see it.
Claude!
Philo B 93 said:

My teenage kids attend a large school and love being modern teenagers. I told them this is the biggest movie of the decade. They let me know that if not for me, they wouldn't even know about this movie. Ie, their friends aren't talking about it. At all.

This isn't the same Top Gun we had in '86. Tom Cruise is ancient to kids, and Jennifer Connolly looks like their mom. That's right, I said it. Even Rooster is old enough to be their dad.

When I was 16, I liked Clint Eastwood. Yep, Firefox isn't a browser to me, it's a badass jet that Clint Eastwood stole from the commies. But my choices were limited. The competition was 3 TV stations, Atari 2600, about 30 cassettes (including mix tapes), and whatever 80s teen comedy was showing. And I like Iron Eagle a lot more than Firefox. These days, a grandfather-aged hero has a hard time competing with TikTok, Outer Banks streaming, weed vapes, and Snapchat.

Prove it.
Philo B 93
Claude! said:

Philo B 93 said:

Prove it.

Ha ha, that was a bold statement wasn't it? I had no idea Connolly is 51…… and a half. Hell, she's older than most of my kids' friends' moms. Older than me and my wife. If there's any CGI in the movie, it was used on her.
Rudyjax
AG
My 14 year old daughter thought Rooster was hot.
MooreTrucker
AG
Jennnifer Connolly is definitely "mom" age, but that doesn't negate how good she looks. Hell, I'm more impressed with her now. I don't really remember much about her or the movies she was in, so not a big impression on me I guess.
SJEAg
AG
She looks better now than she did 10-15 years ago.

Now 25-30 years ago...she looked amazing due to somewhat different "qualities".
Sea Speed
AG
Jennifer connelly is sonhot and has been since forever. Her eyebrows are also super serious.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Jennnifer Connolly is definitely "mom" age, but that doesn't negate how good she looks. Hell, I'm more impressed with her now. I don't really remember much about her or the movies she was in, so not a big impression on me I guess.
More known for salacious nude scenes before.

Google Jennifer Connelly nude scenes for

The Hot Spot
Inventing the Abbotts
Mulholland Falls
Requiem for a Dream

None are great movies imho but she left a lasting impression in all of them.

SJEAg
AG
haha

I distinctly recall watching The Hot Spot in secret on some premium movie channel when I was like 12. The movie seemed terrible, but boy was it worth it. Especially after being disappointed at there being no payoff in Career Opportunities.
Eliminatus
AG
Noon 30 showing on a Thursday and it was sold out here in McKinney.

Loved it. Everything I ever wanted. A TAD nuanced here and there but for a sequel three decades in the working? It was amazing.

Hell, who I am kidding. It was amazing regardless. Truly cements my belief that Tom Cruise is THE greatest action star (possibly movie) of all time.

Incredible.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Saw it a third time today. First two were ScreenX and Regal RPX. Today was Samsung Onyx at Star Cinema Grill at Richmond/Katy. It is the only theater of it's kind in the Western Hemisphere. Holy crap! The first two screens I saw it on are nowhere in the same category of good as the Onyx. I highly recommend it. The color and detail were so vivid. IMO, this is the standard for theaters going forward.

https://www.starcinemagrill.net/onyx
TCTTS
AG
Dang, that sounds awesome. Hopefully that tech starts making its way elsewhere. Would love to check it out.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
TCTTS said:

Dang, that sounds awesome. Hopefully that tech starts making its way elsewhere. Would love to check it out.
To me it was like the difference between watching a movie on the big box Samsung first generation HD TV and watching it in 4K. The visuals were stunning. It was special. It's an hour away from home for me but totally worth the drive. I've never been a comic book movie guy but the Thor: Love and Thunder preview played before the movie and I consider seeing it just to see it on that screen.
JJWAGGIE
AG
I saw it on the same screen Monday and completely agree.
TH36
Yep, was just another teary eyed 34 year old in the crowd today. Happened to me several times. Brought back a lot of childhood memories. Absolutely loved it. The Rooster-Maverick storyline was very well done and sprinkle in some Iceman. Damn what a hit!
Bunk Moreland
2nd time tonight. Some of the cheesier things settled in better and a couple others a bit stronger but being able to sit back and study the flying scenes a little closer the 2nd viewing was fantastic. Truly unbelievable.
Sea Speed
AG
PUMP THE FINAL ACT RIGHT IN TO MY ****ING VEINS
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Watching the original with the kids now to get them ready for Saturday.
Squadron7
AG
Stakes. Unlike any Marvel movie ever made there were actual stakes in this movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Saw it a third time today. First two were ScreenX and Regal RPX. Today was Samsung Onyx at Star Cinema Grill at Richmond/Katy. It is the only theater of it's kind in the Western Hemisphere. Holy crap! The first two screens I saw it on are nowhere in the same category of good as the Onyx. I highly recommend it. The color and detail were so vivid. IMO, this is the standard for theaters going forward.

Is the screen smaller than a standard theater screen?
Rudyjax
AG
My 17 year old and his buddies went to see it and loved it.

Had not seen the original.

They had no plans to see it until everyone talked about how good it was.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

Is the screen smaller than a standard theater screen?
It's 46' wide according to the link I posted. I'm not sure how that compares to a standard screen.
Bunk Moreland
Top Gun did $15.8M Tuesday and $14.8M Wednesday domestic. Strong midweek numbers.

This weekend should be interesting. Assuming they did another 13-15 last night that would put it at $205M domestic before weekend #2.
FiTxAg04
AG
How long will the movie run in theaters? After seeing it myself last weekend, I want to take my kids but we won't be able to go for a couple weeks. I saw it in a Dolby theater and it was amazing. I'm considering watching it there again or jumping to IMAX, but the IMAX close by isn't reviewed that well. Just wondering how long movies play in the premium theaters these days.
Bunk Moreland
This is not going to streaming any time soon imo. It'll be in theaters through July 4th.
TCTTS
AG
Jurassic World: Dominion will take over most IMAX theaters next weekend. But Cruise has insisted on a 120-day theatrical window for TG:M, so it won't be hitting Blu-ray/digital/streaming until late September, and should be playing in theaters (albeit fewer and fewer of them as the weeks go on), in some form or fashion, until August or so.
FiTxAg04
AG
Awesome, sounds like we have time. Thanks!
kyledr04
AG
Going tonight. Wanted imax but didn't feel like driving farther. Should still be good.
JayHowdy!
I don't know who mentioned it earlier, but the part written for Phoenix is how you write a part for a women (non-love interest) in a male dominated cast. There was no grandstanding that she was a women pilot, no feminist lecture, or woke culture to go with her part. She was a naval aviator that was there to train and complete the mission, just like the other pilots. I paid special attention for this on my second viewing, and appreciated her role even more the 2nd time.
Eliminatus
AG
JayHowdy! said:

I don't know who mentioned it earlier, but the part written for Phoenix is how you right a part for a women (non-love interest) in a male dominated cast. There was no grandstanding that she was a women pilot, no feminist lecture, or woke culture to go with her part. She was a naval aviator that was there to train and complete the mission, just like the other pilots. I paid special attention for this on my second viewing, and appreciated her role even more the 2nd time.

Couldn't help but think the same. Really just goes to show how forceful that image you are talking about has become so domineering that when a woman is truly just "one of the guys and is there because of what she can do, not her vagina" it stands out so much.

Was nice to see. Even was mentioned elsewhere in articles.
""Initially she was written like she was overcompensating for the fact that she was a woman in the original script and being the bro-iest bro of the crew," Barbaro said of Phoenix's beginnings. While Monica and the rest of the actors were in training, Jerry Bruckheimer, Joe Kosinski and leading man Tom Cruise had already started tweaking her character.

"As I was in training, they were like, 'OK, just FYI, she's changing a lot,'" Barbaro said. "It was really important to Tom [Cruise] and Joe [Kosinski] and Paramount, and then also so important to the Navy and our pilot consultants, to represent her in that strong, capable way where she's just really confident about what she's great at and not overcompensating for everything.""

Great direction with it and allowed her to truly star in her own way.

Now being the male chauvinistic, evil, cis gen, monster that I am, I must say I found her incredibly attractive in the whole movie.
double aught
AG
She is stunning.

But yes, she was a strong character.

Another example mentioned on this board: the well written female protagonists in the Mandalorian season two finale (as opposed to the cheesy girl power moment in Endgame)
JayHowdy!
I agree with you. She is very attractive.
Eliminatus
AG
JayHowdy! said:

I agree with you. She is very attractive.

Agreed! I will admit I had no seen nor heard of her until this movie but wow. She hits all my preferences, HARD.
kyledr04
AG
Man the movie was great. One of the best all around films in a while and an epic sequel. Was hoping for a couple more songs from the first track but that's OK. Loved it.
CW Griswold
Just saw it. What a FUN movie.

There's so much about Hollywood I can't stand, but they did it right here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.