*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

296,270 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by YNWA_AG
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's kicking it old school
nosoupforyou
AG
I watched some the premier.. fun time but dang what happened to Jennifer Connely? Straight black hair?? She looked great in the previews but man.. not good today!
Decay
AG
For being the most impressive red carpet stunt I've ever seen the actual landing and him coming out was... Eh...
NColoradoAG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I Have Spoken said:

NColoradoAG said:

Dolby Theater tix for 5/29. Sitting in seat F14.

Genius
Except they're featuring the F-18 Hornet in this movie.

Not sitting on the aisle!

Keegan99
AG
Shouldn't we start getting some reactions or reviews? Or was this embargoed?
TCTTS
AG
A ton of press/critics have already seen it and given their reactions. Also, this was in San Diego, so a lot of the traditional LA/NY press weren't there.
TCTTS
AG
A few more from the past few days I missed…

Keegan99
AG
Thanks!

Didn't know if we'd be seeing anything "meatier" or not.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, the embargo for reviews is still in effect, and I'm not sure when it lifts. So it's just reactions for now.
Keegan99
AG
Certainly sounds like Paramount made the right call in delaying the release, as frustrating as it's been.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Cool new spot just aired during Mavs/Sun.
ShawnTxAg
AG
As if I wasn't excited enough!! This has been the longest anticipated release personally I can ever remember.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is 36 years the longest gap between a movie and a direct sequel?

Gotta be in the running.

Edit: Well, asked and answered. Mary Poppins, 54 years.
SJEAg
AG
Must be close in regards to using some of the same main actors.
jr15aggie
AG
So it's pretty much about time to go radio silent... nothing more I need to know and nothing more I want to know. I'm just ready to watch it. So hyped!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SJEAg said:

Edges out Blade Runner by 1 year. Granted, that's only cause of COVID...
NoahAg
No exaggeration. This is the first movie in 20 years that I want to see in the theater.
Let's go, Brandon!
ShawnTxAg
AG
I'm at the same point. I haven't watched any extended trailers or new ones since the original........
jr15aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

SJEAg said:

Edges out Blade Runner by 1 year. Granted, that's only cause of COVID...

I think the important distinction here is that the main actor in the original is still the main actor in the sequel. So it's a true sequel for the protagonist, not just a same universe sorta thing.

BTW... I friggin loved Blade Runner 2049. Fantastically well done!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean Harrison Ford was in 2049, though. Wasn't like it was a cameo.
UnderoosAg
AG
double aught said:

TCTTS said:

So apparently Cruise is piloting the helicopter HIMSELF.
Call me when he lands an F14 on Midway.

Call me when he lands an F14 in that damn NES game.
Stive
AG
UnderoosAg said:

double aught said:

TCTTS said:

So apparently Cruise is piloting the helicopter HIMSELF.
Call me when he lands an F14 on Midway.

Call me when he lands an F14 in that damn NES game.

I learned how to stick that landing. There was a level that I could never get past though. Can't remember what it was but frustrated me to no end.
jr15aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean Harrison Ford was in 2049, though. Wasn't like it was a cameo.
Yeah but he wasn't the lead... didn't even show up until after the halfway mark. It doesn't really matter, I don't really care either way. Just supporting the idea that it's really cool we get a direct sequel to the protagonists storyline 30+ years after the original. And the fact that Tom Cruise only looks middle aged and not an old man is ridiculous.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's that Xenu power.
TCTTS
AG
Completely unexpected, but we got an awesome new sequence/trailer in IMAX before Doctor Strange tonight. It was maybe four minutes long, but it's an entire training sequence where Maverick and all the "next generation" pilots are up in the air, with Mav basically now in the Jester/Viper role, running circles around them. They're all cocky as hell, but then Mav just starts taking them down one by one. The whole thing is scored to The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and was so damn fun, with some incredible footage. I don't think it was was the full sequence, as it felt like an edited/truncated version, but it still gives you a taste of what this thing is going to feel like, and I loved it. It then ends with a new little mini trailer of sorts that just got me so damn pumped.

Three more weeks!
bbattbq01
AG
Just bought my IMAX tickets.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was pretty cool.
tk for tu juan
Part of that sequence is at 20:30 of the red carpet livestream

TCTTS
AG
Awesome. Yeah, that was maybe the first quarter of what they showed in the theater. Nice find. The whole thing is so damn fun.
tk for tu juan
After seeing your post, did a quick scrub along the livestream video timeline and happened to see the clip
Gigem314
AG
TCTTS said:

Completely unexpected, but we got an awesome new sequence/trailer in IMAX before Doctor Strange tonight. It was maybe four minutes long, but it's an entire training sequence where Maverick and all the "next generation" pilots are up in the air, with Mav basically now in the Jester/Viper role, running circles around them. They're all cocky as hell, but then Mav just starts taking them down one by one. The whole thing is scored to The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and was so damn fun, with some incredible footage. I don't think it was was the full sequence, as it felt like an edited/truncated version, but it still gives you a taste of what this thing is going to feel like, and I loved it. It then ends with a new little mini trailer of sorts that just got me so damn pumped.

Three more weeks!
Saw that last night. At first I was like "Noooo! I don't want to see anymore until the release!". But it was a fun extended preview. Seems like a good way to introduce the new characters more so the audience has a better idea when they see the movie.

Loved the music choice. Those shots are incredible. I'm still amazed how they trained the actors and had them do the camera work while blazing along in a fighter jet. If this is the vibe of the final product it's going to be incredible. Can't wait to see it!
jr15aggie
AG
A few posts up I said I don't want to see/know any more... so why the heck am I back checking this thread... and why am I hitting the 20:30 mark of the video above and geeking out over new footage?

Gonna be a long three weeks of me doing a terrible job of not spoiling the movie!!!
LMCane
ShawnTxAg said:

I'm at the same point. I haven't watched any extended trailers or new ones since the original........
with you- haven't watched any trailers on purpose
The Collective
AG
Music video makes the song better (definitely more shown here than in trailer so beware)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.