*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,460 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found this on Reddit about IMAX in DFW (3 years old):

Edit: answering the question, "Best IMAX theater in the area?"

Quote:

Cinema tech here, I can answer with some authority on this.
So short answer is -- It depends on whats important to you.
If you're all about finding the largest IMAX screen in the area, the only game in town is Webb Chapel with their massive 6 story high screen, originally built for IMAX 70mm. But let me tell you why this choice is actually not the best anymore. The 70mm system at this location is the only on site system capable of filling the screen top to bottom and left to right. The location was switched to digital sometime around 2011, with twin 2K resolution xenon units. The 70mm system is now used only on occasion that Christopher Nolan demands prints of something be made. (So a total of 3 or so films since the conversion) So the height of the 6 story screen is almost never utilized, even expanded ratio scenes top out at 1.90, leaving much of the 1.44 screen blank.
The IMAX site I recommend right now is Northpark, which was just outfitted with the very rare IMAX with Laser system a few months ago. IMAX with Laser offers HDR, expanded color, and an 11.1 audio system with overhead speakers. The ratio during expanded scenes will fill the whole screen (although still 1.90 at this location).
But wait, allow me to suggest an alternative to IMAX -- Where IMAX with Laser is pretty rare, any of the dozen or so DFW area Dolby Cinemas at AMC offer essentially the same projection specs. Twin 4k Laser light Christie projectors are used to give you HDR with expanded color and contrast, and Dolby Atmos, which can address up to 64 independent speakers (using object based audio instead of discrete channels), besting IMAXs 11.1. They also use transducers built right into the chairs to add rumble to the bass. Dolby cinema won't use IMAXs expanded ratio though, so if that's more important to you than sound, you will want to keep that in mind when choosing your theatre. My favorite Dolby Cinema at AMC is village on the Parkway, which offers the second largest PLF screen in the area after Webb Chapel's.
spadilly
S
Thanks!
Rudyjax
AG
Ok. I apologize. This was a really good movie.
Gig-Em2003
AG
spadilly said:

My question is this….going for a second time and people keep mentioning Edwards Marque. So which of the following is the best? ScreenX?

IMAX
RC_57
AG
Saw the original TG during a period when I had been and was flying general aviation a lot. Though the planes I flew were worlds away from the Naval aircraft, the movie, the action, the flight sequences, etc. really hit home with me and have lived in me all the years since.

All that to say, last night at the theater, when the show began with the title block and the chimes (or whatever they were) stated up, and that iconic music..... well I was just glad the theatre was dark.

Damn the movie was good!!
Rudyjax
AG
It came out the summer before my freshman year of high school.

This one came out the summer before my daughters freshman year of high school.

My dad was in the Air Force and while he didn't fly for them he was a private pilot.

He loved the original even if the story was corny. (His words).

He would've loved this movie.

Marauder Blue 6
AG
spadilly said:

My question is this….going for a second time and people keep mentioning Edwards Marque. So which of the following is the best? ScreenX?

I was not impressed with ScreenX or Regal Premium Experience for this movie. I have tickets to Samsung Onyx at Star Cinema Grill on Thursday. I've been told it's even better than IMAX.
wangus12
AG
In my seats
aTmAg
AG
wangus12 said:

In my seats
So you are that guy with the glowing phone at movie theaters.
wangus12
AG
Beautiful. That is about as close to a perfect Blockbuster as you make
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No surprise, box office adjusted up again to $160M for the holiday weekend.

$300M global.

I think Tom Cruise is a bit of a star.
maroon barchetta
Brian Earl Spilner said:

$300M global.

He's aight.
country
AG
It'll be interesting to see how much it ends up getting throughout its run. My guess is it is a huge number. As many people who have seen it, a crapload more are just getting the word of mouth and making plans. I thought it was interesting when we walked out of the theater I overheard a young person (12-14 I'd guess) say it was the best movie he had ever seen. When those kids that were drug in by their parents start talking to their friends we will se a younger viewing wave.
Rudyjax
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

$300M global.

$113M in 1986 dollars.
DallasTeleAg
I also think this will get hit with a lot of second viewings. I rarely ever see movies multiple times in theatres, or at least make a point in doing so. This one, I definitely want to see again in theaters.
country
AG
Agreed. We saw it over the weekend as a family, wife and kids returned today, whole family going again later this week. I'll never forget wishing I could watch the original in the theater again once it's run was over. I'm going to enjoy this one a few times.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Maybe it has been mentioned I did not read the whole thread but I did not realize this.

Penny - the love interest played by Jennifer Connelly WAS in the original sort of.

Great callback.

Fairview
AG
Bunk Moreland
Yep. Good catch.

I also have it on good authority from an insider that Maverick in the new one is the same character from the original, only many years older.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
maroon barchetta
Bunk Moreland said:

Yep. Good catch.

I also have it on good authority from an insider that Maverick in the new one is the same character from the original, only many years older.

And looks like he has aged ohhh maybe 5 years.
Cromagnum
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Yep. Good catch.

funny.

I haven't seen Top Gun much in the last 10 years. The name did not occur to me while watching Maverick. It was a throwaway line in the original.

I'm sure some others did not make the connection automatically.

I also never read this thread before or after the movie so sue me.

but thanks for the sarcasm.
Stive
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Yep. Good catch.

funny.

I haven't seen Top Gun much in the last 10 years. The name did not occur to me while watching Maverick. It was a throwaway line in the original.

I'm sure some others did not make the connection automatically.

but thanks for the sarcasm.

Meg Ryan also talks about it while they're in the bar and Goose is playing piano. So it's a little bit more than a single throw away line.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
sure but I would not have recalled the name, more just that it was an admirals daughter.

dbryanc87
It has been discussed on this thread and the other one many times, thus the sarcasm.
Serious Lee
for those of you that have seen this already (i assume most), were there alot of teenagers at the theatre or was it mostly adults and their kids? With school out now, im trying to decide how long to wait to get a sparse crowd in the theatre on a weeknight.
country
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

for those of you that have seen this already (i assume most), were there alot of teenagers at the theatre or was it mostly adults and their kids? With school out now, im trying to decide how long to wait to get a sparse crowd in the theatre on a weeknight.

By far the crowds have been 35+. When kids have been there, they have been there with parents. I anticipate that changing over the next several weeks.
maroon barchetta
Walt Luddiger said:

Went Memorial Day morning at 10am. Mostly adults but some young kids with them. Not many teens. They don't get up until noon in the summer anyway.
JB!98
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Walt Luddiger said:

Went Memorial Day morning at 10am. Mostly adults but some young kids with them. Not many teens. They don't get up until noon in the summer anyway.
In the theater my wife and I were joking with each other about all of the "old" people that were there. Then we realized we were also the "old" people there! My 14 year old loved it though and wants to go see it in IMAX, so it does have an effect on the young ones as well.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
dbryanc87 said:

It has been discussed on this thread and the other one many times, thus the sarcasm.
Had not read them as I said.
Fairview
AG
I took my kids that are 15 and 16 with my wife and they were some of the few kids in there. Like others said it was effectively 35+ crowd in my theater.

The other weird thing is I live in a small town and movies aren't a huge thing here. New big movies opening weekend and the theater isn't full. We went Sunday afternoon and it was pretty much sold out which I've never seen here
Stive
AG
Took our four kids yesterday and I'd say it was 3/4 "older" crowd.

But my teen daughter had already been with several of her friends on Friday night and can't stop talking about it to her friends so the teens are going to show up. At least where we live.
country
AG
Quote:

But my teen daughter had already been with several of her friends on Friday night and can't stop talking about it to her friends so the teens are going to show up. At least where we live

Same here. I have long said that the people that have only known comic movies were going to be surprised when this thing hit theaters. It was always a given that the older crowd would show up, but I thought it was pretty obvious that there would be a major teenage lag as a few here and there went with there parents. Of course, my theory was dependent upon Cruise et al knocking it out of the park which they did.
Philo B 93
My teenage kids attend a large school and love being modern teenagers. I told them this is the biggest movie of the decade. They let me know that if not for me, they wouldn't even know about this movie. Ie, their friends aren't talking about it. At all.

This isn't the same Top Gun we had in '86. Tom Cruise is ancient to kids, and Jennifer Connolly looks like their mom. That's right, I said it. Even Rooster is old enough to be their dad.

When I was 16, I liked Clint Eastwood. Yep, Firefox isn't a browser to me, it's a badass jet that Clint Eastwood stole from the commies. But my choices were limited. The competition was 3 TV stations, Atari 2600, about 30 cassettes (including mix tapes), and whatever 80s teen comedy was showing. And I like Iron Eagle a lot more than Firefox. These days, a grandfather-aged hero has a hard time competing with TikTok, Outer Banks streaming, weed vapes, and Snapchat.

But I'm glad the adults are showing up for it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.