*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,466 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

jr15aggie said:

I'm watching the OG Top Gun with my son tonight.... he's 12. I was 8 when my dad took me to the theaters to see the original.

Maybe it was somewhat inappropriate for an 8 year old to watch the original back in the 80s (Rated R)... but my dad was a marine pilot during Vietnam and this movie kicked ass.

Watching it tonight as well. The opening sequence is just perfect.

But I'm through the volleyball scene and maybe it's because I've seen it a million times and can recite the whole movie but it just feels rushed. Nothing has a chance to breathe.

Agreed that the opening sequence is just balls out perfection. I don't even know what that means but I'll fight any mortal man that disagrees.

Watching the movie objectfully, I agree that some of it is rushed and part of the appeal is that I've seen it dozens of time. But darned if I don't cherish the memories and the appeal of this flick. 10/10
Decay
AG
Any dude showing up for that dinner would have showered first. He basically shows up covered in sand. So awkward.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Decay said:

Any dude showing up for that dinner would have showered first. He basically shows up covered in sand. So awkward.

This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
YouBet
AG
Ready to enter the Danger Zone!
double aught
AG
Take the highway
Keegan99
AG
Tomatometer sitting at 96% with 135 reviews in.

Just checked my IMAX Friday night showing and it's all sold out except for a half-dozen scattered singles and the first two rows of break-your-neck seats.
TyHolden
AG
Will millennials want to see this.
YouBet
AG
TyHolden said:

If they don't, then they should be deported as traitors.
PatAg
AG
TyHolden said:

Millenials would have watched this growin up, you mean gen z
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I may be a unique case, but I grew up watching a ton of 80's movies and Top Gun wasn't one of them. (Unlike movies such as BTTF, E.T., the Rocky franchise, Raiders, etc.)

I feel like it missed both my parent's generation and mine. There might be a small subset of millennials who share my experience.
Ornithopter
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

jr15aggie said:

I'm watching the OG Top Gun with my son tonight.... he's 12. I was 8 when my dad took me to the theaters to see the original.

Maybe it was somewhat inappropriate for an 8 year old to watch the original back in the 80s (Rated R)... but my dad was a marine pilot during Vietnam and this movie kicked ass.

But I'm through the volleyball scene and maybe it's because I've seen it a million times and can recite the whole movie but it just feels rushed. Nothing has a chance to breathe.

Doesn't have a chance to breathe? Are you saying....

It takes your breath away?
ChipFTAC01
AG
DubFalls said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

jr15aggie said:

Doesn't have a chance to breathe? Are you saying....

It takes your breath away?

DubFalls, you stink.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
The spoiler thread is up and running in advance of the "early access premiere" screenings that start tomorrow for the public, which a few people here have said they'll be attending...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3290746

As always, the thread we're currently in will be reserved for general, non-spoiler reactions.
MooreTrucker
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't like this. Barely recognizable.
Bunk Moreland
34 hours. Not counting or anything...
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Does it take down At World's End? I say yes...

Keegan99
AG
The extra IMAX $ will provide a nice boost that those films didn't have.
TCTTS
AG
tk for tu juan
Was about to post this, it is a lot better than carpool karaoke. Lucky ******* got to fly and somewhat dogfight in one of my favorite planes.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Here's the epic version of that song:

Keegan99
AG
Another little featurette.

TCTTS
AG

Faustus
jr15aggie said:

On a separate note... Michael Ironside was 35-36 years old when he filmed Top Gun.

He still looks like an old man to me as I watch the original and I'm almost 44 years old. Damn.
The balding helps.

Mike Elko
AG
Two tickets for Friday's 3:20 showing. Part of our anniversary weekend.
tk for tu juan
Michael Ironside looked much older in the last episode of Barry
wangus12
AG
My buddy saw it in Brazil over the weekend, Blown away
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TC: Scale of 1-10, 10 being me for Obi-Wan, how hyped are you for this movie?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TC: Scale of 1-10, 10 being me for Obi-Wan, how hyped are you for this movie?
Maybe it's just me, but my hype for Top Gun far exceeds any recent Star Wars hype. And I love Star Wars.
TCTTS
AG

The only reason it's not a 10 is because it's not Tony Scott in the director's chair again (one of my all-time favorite directors) and I have absolutely no idea what to expect from the plot, to the point where the trailers/commercials have almost been too vague in that regard. That said, both of those things could also be considered a positive, seeing as Kosinski apparently knocked it out of the park, and possibly delivered a better movie than Scott could have at his older age, had he lived, while the question mark surrounding the plot hopefully ends up being incredibly refreshing/surprising.

All I know is that Top Gun is the first movie I ever remember seeing in theaters, at five years old, sitting between my parents at the Sikes Six theater at Sikes Center Mall. I love it so much, and next to David Fincher movies, it is, in my mind, how all movies should look; with a slight film grain, depth, sun-kissed saturation, colors that pop, etc.

Overall, I'd say it's number six on my all-time most anticipated list...

1. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Matrix Reloaded
4. Interstellar
5. Man of Steel
6. Top Gun: Maverick

... but by the sound of the reviews, I'm almost positive I'm going to end up liking it more than at least three of those.
TCTTS
AG
Then again, really looking at that most-anticipated list, I could also easily put it at number three. It's so hard to say.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tron Legacy director? Huh. Had no idea he directed this.
TCTTS
AG
He also directed Oblivion, starring Cruise, which is one of the reasons he had the inside track. They met in Paris during the filming of Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Kosinski pitched his vision, and ultimately got the job over a couple other directors. Chris McQuarrie was obviously directing Cruise at the time, and then Cruise/Kosinski folded him in to write the screenplay.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Great info! I loved Oblivion and was also a fan of Tron Legacy. Safe to say I like this director much better than say Rian Johnson (really disliked Knives Out).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.