*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

296,293 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by YNWA_AG
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it just me or does Tom Cruise seem like such a freakin cool guy and such an incredible weirdo all at the same time? As a kid in the 80's I grew up on Cruise movies. To this day I still don't know what to think of the guy, not that it matters.
double aught
AG
aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

I blocked him. But now that I can see what he wrote... really? Examples like this are why so many people dislike aTm. My post was clearly tongue in cheek. I don't actually believe that they'd let Cruise land fighter jets on aircraft carriers.
Honestly, it wasn't that obvious to me. Tom Cruise is famous for doing his own stunts. Such as getting a gazillion hours in a helicopter for one of the mission impossible movies. Here is some background info on why I thought the notion of Tom Cruise getting to fly an F-35 needed correcting:

He was at my work a month or so ago supposedly getting fitted for a F-35 helmet (which cost $400K each):

(BTW, that's his own P-51)

And here is a picture of the pricey helmet:

Those helmets are custom fit for each pilot and are necessary because the F-35 has this thing where it projects stuff onto the glass in your helmet while you fly. Imagine a virtual reality thing you wear as you fly and you can look down and not see your legs, plane, or anything but see the ground underneath you. That's what the F-35 does. For it to work right, the helmet has to fit just right, snug, and not move at all.

People at my work were wondering why the hell were they going through that level of expense for a movie when there is absolutely no way that a causal observer would be able to tell "that symbol on his visor is off by half an inch!" That the only (not gratuitous) reason they would actually go through that expense would be if he were to fly the thing himself. He did get to fly in jets for the first Top Gun, after all.

I'm just saying, that for anybody who may think he will be flying in an F-35 for this movie like he flew in F-14's in the last one (and because he has a gazillion of flight hours in various aircraft), I'm saying that there is no way.

Very cool. But $400K? Classic government spending.
Urban Ag
AG
How do you think they pay for Area 51 ???
aTmAg
AG
double aught said:

aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

I blocked him. But now that I can see what he wrote... really? Examples like this are why so many people dislike aTm. My post was clearly tongue in cheek. I don't actually believe that they'd let Cruise land fighter jets on aircraft carriers.
Honestly, it wasn't that obvious to me. Tom Cruise is famous for doing his own stunts. Such as getting a gazillion hours in a helicopter for one of the mission impossible movies. Here is some background info on why I thought the notion of Tom Cruise getting to fly an F-35 needed correcting:

He was at my work a month or so ago supposedly getting fitted for a F-35 helmet (which cost $400K each):

Those helmets are custom fit for each pilot and are necessary because the F-35 has this thing where it projects stuff onto the glass in your helmet while you fly. Imagine a virtual reality thing you wear as you fly and you can look down and not see your legs, plane, or anything but see the ground underneath you. That's what the F-35 does. For it to work right, the helmet has to fit just right, snug, and not move at all.

People at my work were wondering why the hell were they going through that level of expense for a movie when there is absolutely no way that a causal observer would be able to tell "that symbol on his visor is off by half an inch!" That the only (not gratuitous) reason they would actually go through that expense would be if he were to fly the thing himself. He did get to fly in jets for the first Top Gun, after all.

I'm just saying, that for anybody who may think he will be flying in an F-35 for this movie like he flew in F-14's in the last one (and because he has a gazillion of flight hours in various aircraft), I'm saying that there is no way.

Very cool. But $400K? Classic government spending.

When government is involved, things are always more expensive. No doubt about that. But even if a private company contracted another private company to make this helmet, it still would have been really expensive (just not $400K). It's made of composites to make it lighter because all the electronics are heavy enough and they can't expect the pilot to wear a 20 pound helmet). The electronics are all new designs and that is expensive to develop. Unlike VR googles where you look through two inch wide holes, this one projects things on a curved surface that wraps around the pilots face. While that is technically hard to do, the military didn't want to severely limit the pilot's vision. which makes sense.

One big reason the reason the helmet was necessary was that, due to stealth reasons, the F-35 canopy cannot bubble outward. It has to be flush with the surface below it. Yet the B variant is STOVL, so pilots need to be able land vertically and somehow look down. So they do so with the helmet and the F-35 has no HUD at all. Unlike the original Top Gun, this movie might have to show it sorta like how Iron Man did it.
aTmAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

Is it just me or does Tom Cruise seem like such a freakin cool guy and such an incredible weirdo all at the same time? As a kid in the 80's I grew up on Cruise movies. To this day I still don't know what to think of the guy, not that it matters.
Yeah I don't get the guy. He seems like a nice and normal dude, but then there is the whole Scientology thing. Is Scientology keeping the shady aspects of it secret from him? I know Scientologists go out of their way to ignore anti-Scientology "propaganda" so I imagine he has never seen Going Clear or that Leah Remini show. Leah insists that he knows everything and is actually the devil, but it's hard to see that.
AgGrad99
AG
Out of curiosity, are these Elbit Systems' helmets?

aTmAg
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Out of curiosity, are these Elbit Systems' helmets?
I believe they are built by Rockwell Collins.
TCTTS
AG
Posted this news a couple months back, but deleted it shortly after, seeing as it was probably too much of an "exclusive" to post here and potentially get a friend of mine in trouble, but awesome news nonetheless. I can confirm that not only is Zimmer working on new music, but he's working with Faltermeyer to retool the original theme as well. Cannot wait...

AggieDruggist89
AG
aTmAg said:

TCTTS said:

Let me guess, you work in Lemoore. I was there the day after Tom was there. "Radio" and "Waldo" gave me a tour. Played on F18 simulator and I crashed.
aTmAg
AG
Lockheed Fort worth
PatAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

He seems like a standup guy, and a truly dedicated professional. Also seems like a total weirdo and not someone I would like to personally know.

I enjoy his movies.
Philo B 93
As for Tom's eccentricities, I have yet to meet anyone who becomes more normal as they get older.
TCTTS
AG
For the record, I don't think McQuarrie is getting an actual writing credit. Things could have changed, but last I heard, McQuarrie simply joined Cruise, director Joseph Kosinski, and screenwriter Eric Warren Singer in Florida over the summer for a weekend-long notes session. Basically just gave his two cents on everything and helped solve a couple of issues. That said, since then, again, he could have been hired in a more official capacity, but I haven't heard anything along those lines...

BoxingAg84
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6347005/Tom-Cruise-56-recreates-iconic-Gun-motorbike-scene-Jennifer-Connelly-47.html

TCTTS
AG
That's awesome.
BoxingAg84

Gigem314
AG
Jennifer Connelly is the love interest for this one? Oh I'm so in.

Hadn't checked IMDb in a while, that's quite a cast if accurate. Val Kilmer listed.
TCTTS
AG
Tom Cruise, Jennifer Connelley, Miles Teller, Jon Hamm, Ed Harris, Val Kilmer, Glenn Powell. Hell of a cast for sure.
Hey Nav
AG
My trivia of the day contribution:

The Air Boss (who spilled his coffee a couple of times) is the brother of Don Stroud.
nosoupforyou
AG
so - I think it's great to have Zimmer... but one of the most iconic things about Top Gun was Kenny Loggins Danger Zone and Playing with the Boys - super songs - hearing anything about Kenny coming back to help with any songs?
TCTTS
AG
Loggins is indeed coming back, I just don't know to what capacity.
JB!98
AG
FYI
. http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26505/an-f-14-tomcat-has-returned-to-the-deck-of-an-operational-carrier-for-top-gun-2-production
A. Solzhenitsyn
Jbar1998 said:

FYI
. http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26505/an-f-14-tomcat-has-returned-to-the-deck-of-an-operational-carrier-for-top-gun-2-production
I can only assume this is for a flashback scene or something, because a Tomcat would be utterly useless in 2019.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
TCTTS said:

At the very least, I hope there's a bar scene, where H. Jon Benjamin is singing Karaoke "Danger Zone" poorly in the background. Tom Cruise is being talked about coming back. After a couple of seconds, Tom Cruise says something like "let's do it" cut scene to him driving his motorcycle or flying a jet and then Loggins seamlessly continues "Danger Zone" now blaring so loudly it causes ear drums to burst
JB!98
AG
A. Solzhenitsyn said:

Jbar1998 said:

FYI
I can only assume this is for a flashback scene or something, because a Tomcat would be utterly useless in 2019.
Perhaps, but this movie is going to be pure nostalgia for me and my wife. We can still quote almost all the lines from the film. I was lucky enough to meet two of the Naval Aviators that flew in that movie (I still have the coke can he gave me when he stepped out of the bird). Seeing the Turkey will bring back the feels from that time and I will like it.

You had to detach yourself from reality to watch the first one if you grew up around Naval Aviation like I did. I can do it again as long is this one is more Top Gun than Iron Eagle.
Stat Monitor Repairman
IS Tom Cruise the devil in plain sight?

Whoever said this above, this really struck a chord with me for some reason.

Get a real dark feeling thinking about it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

TCTTS said:

At the very least, I hope there's a bar scene, where H. Jon Benjamin is singing Karaoke "Danger Zone" poorly in the background. Tom Cruise is being talked about coming back. After a couple of seconds, Tom Cruise says something like "let's do it" cut scene to him driving his motorcycle or flying a jet and then Loggins seamlessly continues "Danger Zone" now blaring so loudly it causes ear drums to burst

Archer singing Danger Zone would be pure greatness.
'03ag
Iron Eagle is greatness.
nosoupforyou
AG
bump - anything new here?
wangus12
AG
Only thing I've heard recently from my uncle who used to serve on the USS TR is that Cruise has been an absolute ******* to the crew stationed on the carrier
jackie childs
wangus12 said:

Only thing I've heard recently from my uncle who used to serve on the USS TR is that Cruise has been an absolute ******* to the crew stationed on the carrier
wow...that's honestly shocking to me and might be the first time i've read or seen anybody describe an encounter with him negatively
wangus12
AG
Same here. I didn't really follow up and my uncle is definitely a little out there so who knows. Like I said, he heard it from people he used to serve with.
nosoupforyou
AG
Yeah.. I can't believe that.. it's not in his character plus there will be tons of 'behind the scenes' footage and it will surely show his interaction

MI6 Fallout scenes shows him interacting with the locals and his crew really well
TCTTS
AG

https://lrmonline.com/news/top-gun-jon-hamm-says-film-is-shot-in-6k-and-will-be-mostly-practical/
TCTTS
AG
Been a while since we've had any big updates, but the above reminded me that I forgot to relay that I talked to my buddy a few weeks back, the one who's working on this movie (we saw Endgame together). I'll put it this way... my friend has worked on basically every Bruckheimer movie since the first Pirates, and I've never seen him THIS confident. He knows I'm one of the biggest Top Gun fans around and he swears I'm going to love this movie, to the point where he's almost giddy about it. Whatever it is they're doing, he's really, really into it. He says Cruise is being incredibly obsessive, but in the best way. As in, they're still filming bits and pieces here and there, at Cruise's behest, just to get this thing as pitch-perfect as possible. I cannot believe we still have to wait another 13 months.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.