*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,569 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to the theater for the first time in 2.5 years to see this. I was a grunt, but I have always loved Naval aviation. Saw it on a real IMAX screen and had a blast. Even the wife had to admit she enjoyed it. Yeah, parts of it go beyond straining credulity, but worth it.

I will say, while I enjoyed being back in the theater, it also reminded me of what I've enjoyed about watching films at home lately. One guy's cologne gave me a splitting headache while another had his cellphone flashlight on for half the movie, and the sound was not managed well in the theater. Great overall experience, but I'm not lining up to go back into theaters again at the same rate I used to.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
It was everything a movie should be. Awesome! Opening and I was 29 years old again. Had a minor allergic reaction to something and my eyes got watery. Saw it with my two sons who are now in their late 30's/early 40's. Perfect!
JB!98
AG
TRD-Ferguson said:

It was everything a movie should be. Awesome! Opening and I was 29 years old again. Had a minor allergic reaction to something and my eyes got watery. Saw it with my two sons who are now in their late 30's/early 40's. Perfect!
I also had some weird allergy when the first scene came on. There is nothing emotional during that scene other than the nostalgia, but my 14 year old caught me wiping a tear away. I guess it was just the realization that I was finally sitting there watching the sequel after 36 years of waiting.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
LMCane
JB!98 said:

TRD-Ferguson said:

I also had some weird allergy when the first scene came on. There is nothing emotional during that scene other than the nostalgia, but my 14 year old caught me wiping a tear away. I guess it was just the realization that I was finally sitting there watching the sequel after 36 years of waiting.
that happened to me when Mav was looking at pictures and reflecting on his life.

at one point he states "I have done everything I was made to do" or something to that effect.

at age 60 for Cruise that is pretty deep emotionally.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ditto and more than once.

At a minimum I recall getting a case of the feels at

1. Top Gun logo and that chord played
2. opening scene (cant believe im here watching this finally)
3. Mav looking at the pics of goose, ice, etc.
4. Mav at Ice's home with his wife downstairs, and then with Iceman, at the end particularly (great line i won't spoil it and the hug)
5. in the cockpit of the F-14 with Rooster (i was like dammit they pulled it off like a logical reason for that scene)

So well done.

MooreTrucker
AG
Quote:

1. Top Gun logo and that chord played
That opening chime gave me chills
AquaCasaAg
AG
This movie delivers. I had chills throughout
aggiepaintrain
AG
THAT is how you make a movie, I didn't want it to end
Sea Speed
AG
What is the best theater in South Houston area to see this st? I almost exclusively go to one of the food andndrink theaters on their Tuesday special price day because i am a cheap ass nut in willing to spend a few extra on this one. Cinema's xd the best way to go? Is the imax at the marqe center up in Houston really worth the trip in to Houston proper?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MARQ*E is the only choice here. It's the only real IMAX in town.
Keegan99
AG
Define "South Houston".

There's an IMAX at the beltway and 45 south.
Sea Speed
AG
I shouldnhave said south of Houston haha. Thats about as far north as I would want to go and if its not true imax like Brian says that may be ok because it cuts an hour plus off of RT drive time that going to the marqe would add. Only issue is that isn't that area a little shady? I know you can't park at fishing tackle unlimited in that area without saying good bye to the possessions in your car first.
JCA1
AG
I saw it at the Marquee IMAX yesterday. Very cool.

While crime can happen anywhere, there's no particular reason to be worried about being at I-10 and Silber. Biggest threat is someone throwing one of those IKEA meatballs at you.
Sea Speed
AG
I was talking about 45 and the beltway.
wangus12
AG
Finally got my tickets. True IMAX in Dallas tomorrow night
Gig-Em2003
AG
Love the MarqE see all big films there. Never an issue. Sound and picture is incredible on the IMAX.
DallasTeleAg
Just saw it, and loved it. For me, the movie was good up until the scene where Maverick does what Maverick does.... and it was epic from there on out. I found myself just smiling from ear to ear so many times, during this movie. I'm pretty sure I had my ass clenched for the last 30 minutes or so.

For those who don't see this in the theatre... leave the Entertainment board, forever.
Keegan99
AG
Which theater in Dallas?
Hemingway
AG
Watched at the Edwards MarqE IMAX last night. Great movie. I have to admit my 11 year old son asked why I was crying a few times. So fun to go back to 1985.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Upped again to $156M for the four day.

Edged out Pirates 3 for the Memorial Day record. (But funny enough both held by Bruckheimer.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You're crazy to think it can outgross The Batman by a whole $65M on opening weekend.

I can see it doing anywhere from $85M to maybe $150M. (That would be WILDLY overperforming my expectations.)

Gun to my head I'd say $110M.

Well hey, my upper range was pretty spot on, but still gonna eat crow here. Did way better than I expected a few months ago.
Grown Pear
AG
Very excited to go back and see it again today, taking rest of the family this time. Lol. Teenage daughter asked to watch the original again last night and when I asked how she liked it she said "It was SO good. Its one of my favorites." Proud dad!!
wangus12
AG
Keegan99 said:

Which theater in Dallas?

Cinemark 17. It's my go to for IMAX
maroon barchetta
Just got back. GREAT EXPERIENCE AND PURPOSELY SAW IT ON MEMORIAL DAY BECAUSE AMERICA **** YEAH!!!

My wife and I saw the trailer for Maverick when we saw Doctor Strange 2. My wife said "the story looks dumb" and I said "I don't give crap about the story, I want to see fighter jets!!!"

The flight scenes were incredible. Those Tomahawk missiles passing by the attack formation was epic.

My wife loved it. I got choked up a few times and was on the edge of my seat the rest.

Miles Teller was a great choice for Rooster. They nailed the look.

This is summer popcorn movie going at it's best.

Hearing Danger Zone in the beginning fired me up.

I wonder if the military will see a bump in applications after this like they did after the original Top Gun (allegedly)?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just got to the theater and the place is absolutely packed. Line literally out the door for concessions.
Thunder18
AG
Amazing movie experience
Sea Speed
AG
Tickets procured for this Thursday in liemax
MooreTrucker
AG
Sea Speed said:

????
Decay
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Sea Speed said:

????

Basically saying it's not really imax even though it might claim to be
Keegan99
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Sea Speed said:

????

There are only a handful of "true" IMAX theaters in Texas, unfortunately.

Several are at museums, like the Houston Museum of Natural Science* or the Bob Bullock in Austin. I think Moody Gardens in Galveston has one, too, as does the RiverCenter in San Antonio.

The MARQ*E in Houston looks to be a true IMAX as well.

Near as I can tell, DFW does not have a true IMAX theater.

The company behind IMAX has really screwed the pooch by slapping an indistinguishable brand on two theater experiences that are very much not the same.

Does Top Gun : Maverick actually fill the 1.44:1 screen of a true IMAX theater?

(Edit: *The HMNS is now calling it the "giant screen theater", and not using the IMAX brand.)
spadilly
S
My question is this….going for a second time and people keep mentioning Edwards Marque. So which of the following is the best? ScreenX?

maroon man
S
Keegan99 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Sea Speed said:

????

Several are at museums, like the Houston Museum of Natural Science or the Bob Bullock in Austin. I think Moody Gardens in Galveston has one, too, as does the RiverCenter in San Antonio.

The company behind IMAX has really screwed the pooch by slapping an indistinguishable brand on two theater experiences that are very much not the same.

I think the Cinemark on Webb Chapel is true IMAX.

DallasTeleAg
From what I've watched, the movie was filmed for 4DX, so I would be interested in seeing it that way.
TCTTS
AG
Keegan99 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Sea Speed said:

????

Several are at museums, like the Houston Museum of Natural Science* or the Bob Bullock in Austin. I think Moody Gardens in Galveston has one, too, as does the RiverCenter in San Antonio.

(Edit: *The HMNS is now calling it the "giant screen theater", and not using the IMAX brand.)

As best I can tell, from my brief research, I'm almost positive the IMAX ratio caps out at 1.90:1 for TG:M. It doesn't expand all the way to 1.44:1. So, finding a "true" IMAX theater is probably irrelevant in this instance, since you won't be missing any picture that would otherwise be cropped. Of course, the bigger screen, the bigger image, but unlike with, say, Dune, or a Christopher Nolan movie, there's no picture to gain vertically in a true IMAX theater with this movie.
Keegan99
AG
Good to know.

I remember the 1.44:1 screen at the Bullock filled edge-to-edge with the IMAX sequences in TDK and it was like nothing I've seen before or since.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.