*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,552 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Saw this on twitter and thought it was pretty interesting. Apparently a Chinese company is involved with production so they had to do this.

Also amazed someone paid close enough attention to notice
Bunk Moreland
saw it too. I know some of the hot take conservatives are eye-rolling, but this makes 100% sense imo. If a Chinese company is helping finance it and the movie is set to make a lot of money in China, then of course they'd change something that culturally sensitive.
TCTTS
AG

Michael Cera Palin
AG
Agree. I don't necessarily like it, but I understand the reasoning. Money is always the deciding factor.

Just thought it was an interesting thing someone's already noticed
Murder Hornet
AG
9 1/2 years old when I walked to the local theater to see the original in 1986. Incredibly excited to see this one!!
TCTTS
AG
Btw, do you guys mind flagging this post? The title of the thread was originally "*** TOP GUN 2 ***" but we asked staff to change it to "*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK ***" when the new title was announced. However, for some reason, they changed it to "*** TOP GUN 2: Maverick ***" (half upper case, half lower, with the 2 in between) and it's driven me nuts ever since, but I didn't want to say anything since they were courteous enough to change it in the first place. That said, now that the trailer/thread is blowing up, I don't know if my OCD can handle another year of an inaccurate title (yes, I'm weird like that). So, staff, if you see this, when you get the chance, do you mind changing the title to...

*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK ***

Thanks!

[You're pushing it a little bit with this perfectionism. It's only the internet--Staff]
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You are making my promise very had to keep right now
JB!98
AG
TCTTS said:

Btw, do you guys mind flagging this post? The title of the thread was originally "*** TOP GUN 2 ***" but we asked staff to change it to "*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK ***" when the new title was announced. However, for some reason, they changed it to "*** TOP GUN 2: Maverick ***" (half upper case, half lower, with the 2 in between) and it's driven me nuts ever since, but I didn't want to say anything since they were courteous enough to change it in the first place. That said, now that the trailer/thread is blowing up, I don't know if my OCD can handle another year of an inaccurate title (yes, I'm weird like that). So, staff, if you see this, when you get the chance, do you mind changing the title to...

*** TOP GUN: MAVERICK ***

Thanks!
I flagged it for you. I have no idea of what "scalping" is, but you are now accused of it!
TCTTS
AG
Ha, mock me all you want. I realize it's ridiculous. Doesn't change that fact it drives me insane. As a writer/insane perfectionist, I can't help it. I take it you've never noticed the edit counts on many of my posts?
Bunk Moreland
I'm not super anal but I don't see anything wrong with the request. The thread title should match the movie name.
TCTTS
AG
(Had to edit that one for good measure.)
TCTTS
AG
PatAg
AG
Let's kick the tires and light the fires
boogieman
AG
Staff is on it today, yo.
MooreTrucker
AG
JB!98 said:

I flagged it for you. I have no idea of what "scalping" is, but you are now accused of it!
I called it Vulgar/Obscene

ETA change was made literally as I was typing this, so if you get booted for Vulgar/Obscene I apologize.

Also had to add another edit because that's a thing now.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, they HAVE to be messing with me at this point. Now there are spaces on either side of the colon, and the "Maverick" is still lower case.

If done on purpose, I have to admit, that's pretty good...
Bunk Moreland
I said it was a flame post with no meaningful information, just for the irony.
Ulrich
At first i wasn't that interested in watching TOP GUN : Maverick. But after the latest trailer, I am very excited. Maverick 2 looks like an awesome updated version of a classic 80s 'Merican film. Defiantly going too c topgun 2 in theatres.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, they HAVE to be messing with me at this point. Now there are spaces on either side of the colon, and the "Maverick" is still lower case.

If done on purpose, I have to admit, that's pretty good...
At least they spelt it correctly.

For now.
TCTTS
AG
I deserve this.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
When are we Going to See STAR WARS 9 : The rise of skywalker ?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

I deserve this.
I asked them to change it to Top Gun 2: The Legend of Iceman's Gold
JoeAggie5
I made it to 2nd base with my future wife while watching Top Gun on VHS. Damn right I'm going to see this with her!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
JoeAggie5 said:

I made it to 2nd base with my future wife while watching Top Gun on VHS. Damn right I'm going to see this with her!
That's it? There were reports of women spontaneously becoming pregnant after watching the beach volleyball scene.
Gigem314
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

I deserve this.
I asked them to change it to Top Gun 2: The Legend of Iceman's Gold
Top Gun 2: You're Still Dangerous
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What's this promise you keep talking about?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What's this promise you keep talking about?
Not being a bully.
Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
AG
The pressure suit certainly does have me intrigued. Any of you Navy/pilot experts have any insight as to what would require something like that? I realize the obvious answer is "high altitude," but I'm wondering, more specifically, exactly what kind of plot-related mission might require something like that...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/07/in-top-gun-mavericks-premiere-trailer-tom-cruise-flies-very-high-very-fast/

TCTTS
AG
I'm also wondering if that Cruise/Ed Harris scene (which looks to be just before or after the pressure suit mission) is from the beginning or the end of the movie. It could be the opening, and Cruise simply partakes in some kind of high altitude test flight, then the movie is basically Cruise proving the "I'm not extinct yet" sentiment" - or - maybe the high altitude mission is the end of the movie, and that convo with Harris is kind of the final period or sentiment of the movie. Will be interesting to see...
JB!98
AG
TCTTS said:

The pressure suit certainly does have me intrigued. Any of you Navy/pilot experts have any insight as to what would require something like that? I realize the obvious answer is "high altitude," but I'm wondering, more specifically, exactly what kind of plot-related mission might require something like that...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/07/in-top-gun-mavericks-premiere-trailer-tom-cruise-flies-very-high-very-fast/

````
Well, now that I have seen the canopy bow, that looks like a U-2. Air Force bird. I know that there are some pilot exchanges that allow Navy/Marine pilots fly Air Force aircraft and vice versa. This may be a bridge too far in the plot, but like I said in another thread, I am going to detach myself from reality when I watch this movie and let it roll. Also, there are no remaining F-14's in flyable condition in the US, so the Tomcat at the end of the clip is CGI. Leading me to believe that he goes Rouge and steals an F-14 from Iran to get him and Goose's son out of Iran. The scene that you see at the end is him surviving the "mission" and thus, the "not today". Please don't Iron Eagle this damn thing.
TCTTS
AG
So he flies a U-2 to Iran and then steals an F-14? I actually love the idea of him stealing an old aircraft, but I don't know that the U-2 aspect would be a part of that.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Harris convo is at the beginning. That kind of speech, where one character lists off another character's accomplishments, is almost always at the beginning of a movie; a type of short-hand to give the audience a quick primer on the main character. I can't see that type of info needed at the end.

I'm thinking we open with Cruise going on some kind of U-2 test flight or mission. He does some brave/crazy thing (ala the opening of first movie), barely makes it out alive, and then Harris gives him that speech. Then the rest of the movie is Cruise then proving the "I'm not extinct" sentiment.

That said, I could be wrong...
JB!98
AG
TCTTS said:

So he flies a U-2 to Iran and then steals an F-14? I actually love the idea of him stealing an old aircraft, but I don't know that the U-2 aspect would be a part of that.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Harris convo is at the beginning. That kind of speech, where one character lists off another character's accomplishments, is almost always at the beginning of a movie; a type of short-hand to give the audience a quick primer on the main character. I can't see that type of info needed at the end.

I'm thinking we open with Cruise going on some kind of U-2 test flight or mission. He does some brave/crazy thing (ala the opening of first movie), barely makes it out alive, and then Harris gives him that speech. Then the rest of the movie is Cruise then proving the "I'm not extinct" sentiment.

That said, I could be wrong...
I hope you are right. For the record, I am not an aviator. I grew up around Naval Aviators and learned a lot about it. I was hit in the eye with a rock at 13 which precluded me from chasing that family dream. With that said, for us few that I guess you would say fanboy this stuff we like to see reality as much as possible. I understand the "detach yourself" deal with movies, but please make this stuff at least plausible. The masses will love it, I will enjoy it while picking it apart.

The loose harness stuff and the fact that he is wearing a helmet that is an old one are just the first things that I will pick at. Current F-18 pilots wear a JHMCS helmet, not that one. I understand that is probably beacause you could not have the old school paint and "Maverick" on it.

I am nerding out and will appreciate the movie for what it is as my wife is griping at me for even posting this stuff. "Are you a pilot?" "No", "then why does your opinion matter." "Point taken"
TCTTS
AG
Ha, the insight is definitely appreciated, pilot or not.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.