*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

301,740 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Azariah
AG
InternetFan02 said:

There's a small niche of guys born probably 1978-1981 that were too young for the Star Wars experience in the theaters but still played with the toys and therefore THIS movie is the defining blockbuster movie of our childhoods. I'm always in for these nostalgia driven remakes but this is the biggest.
A little earlier. I'm 1976, and I was too young to catch Star Wars in its first run. I still have vivid memories, not just of Top Gun, but of discussions with my father and best friend about going to see the movie.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

I know I'm overhyping the hell out of this, but that was one of the five best trailer-watching experiences I've ever had. Seriously had goosebumps the entire time. A part of me was always worried that there was no way this movie could deliver, but not anymore. Holy sh*t.

No you're not... that's one of the best trailers I've ever seen. My office just had the biggest bro out ever. Pretty much every guy just watched it freaking out.

Definitely was a big hit at work today here as well, even if it's the Navy.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I also took the your kind is going extinct line to mean more the shift in military aviation culture over the years not necessarily that he's the last of the pilot.

Something along the same lines as this song. Flying a tomcat probably wasn't quite what they meant in the song below either, but it's still about the days of dudes staring death in the eye in a plane less capable than your iPhone.

Gig-Em2003
AG
TCTTS said:

So, now that we've seen the trailer, and are all pretty hyped, do we think this has any shot at all at the box office crown next summer? Opening weekend? Neither?

Here's the primary competition...

- Jungle Cruise
- Marvel's Black Widow
- Tenet (Christopher Nolan's next)
- Untitled Fast & Furious 9
- Untitled Ghostbusters 3
- Wonder Woman 1984

I'm assuming WW84 takes the prize, but the buzz for this IS starting to reach pretty insane levels...

I don't see any of these rising to the level of TG:M. I'm excited, my kids are excited, my mom is excited. This is going to appeal to all audiences IMO.
PatAg
AG
Tenet is going to be huge
TCTTS
AG
I'm starting to think the same thing. I don't know that I've ever seen as many "I've been getting texts all day" / "The entire office stopped to watch" sentiments from people like this. Both my parents are excited, as are both my sisters and their husbands. That never happens; the entire family genuinely looking forward to the same movie. There's just this out-of-no-where buzz for it like I haven't seen in a long, long time. Everyone is going to see this. It's the thing no one knew they wanted until they saw it, and now it's all anyone seems to want.

As for the exact competition, Black Widow seems as if it'll likely be middle-of-the-road Marvel, box-office-wise. Nolan's movies, while obviously mind-blowing for the most part, rarely have record-setting opening weekends / massive box office pull outside of The Dark Knight trilogy. Fast & Furious could do some damage, but it feels somewhat tired at this point (it's the ninth movie in the franchise). And I seriously doubt Jungle Cruise or Ghostbusters will do crazy numbers either. That leaves WW84, which will likely be the biggest hurdle, but I seriously think TG: M might have the moxie and the "it" factor to edge it out. My buddy swears up and down the movie is "gooooood" (exact quote) and he's not bullsh*tting. He's usually straight up with me when they have a stinker.

Anyway, it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. Regardless, we're all winners here because we get this and Tenet within a month of each other. Haven't looked this forward to a summer in a long time...
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

I agree, but I don't think it'll quite be "the whole family is going to see it" huge.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

PatAg said:

I agree, but I don't think it'll quite be "the whole family is going to see it" huge.
Probably will depend how accessible the trailers make it feel. Not everyone wants to have to think during every movie they see in the summer.
Pahdz
I see so many people griping on Twitter about "it looks like the same movie" or "yeah but what's this movie about?"

Idiots, why do you morons have to have the whole plot line shown to you in a trailer? Ever think the trailer was made to "look like the same movie" to appeal to fans of the first?
jokershady
AG
Quote from the YouTube comments....

"I really wanted this movie to start with Maverick flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog **** out of Hong Kong!!!"
Decay
AG
I didn't realize I wanted to see Tom Cruise get his head knocked around inside a cockpit. But it's ****ing perfect.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Pahdz said:

I see so many people griping on Twitter about "it looks like the same movie" or "yeah but what's this movie about?"

Idiots, why do you morons have to have the whole plot line shown to you in a trailer? Ever think the trailer was made to "look like the same movie" to appeal to fans of the first?
I think the trailer included a bunch of scenes from the first movie because if you saw it as an adult in 1986 you're probably in an old folks' home now and can't remember if you saw it the first time or not.
Schall 02
AG
I couldn't be any better.
Mac94
AG
Super Hornets zooming through snow capped mountains? Maverick is gonna kick North Korean butt????
Gigem314
AG
Pahdz said:

Trailer set to Danger Zone

oragator
Gotta say I was a doubter on this movie, but the trailer looks awesome.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Another good one...The Social Network. Great trailer.
MooreTrucker
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
Waking up this morning like...
MooreTrucker
AG
Its Not Rocket Surgery said:

Waking up this morning like...

And have to wait a full year to actually see the movie....
easttexasaggie04
AG
A move trailer has never given me chills until I watched this one yesterday. IN
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The real shocker of the last two days for me is finding out that TC isn't even 40 years old yet.
JB!98
AG
ATM1876 said:

Because i was inverted.
I am beyond stoked for this movie and I actually got chills yesterday from watching the trailer. Please tighten up your harness there Maverick. I cannot believe that they let him fly with a harness that loose. If they had to punch out, well, no more Tom Cruise. Also, he is in the trunk (backseat, WSO station) of an F-18F for all the folks that think they let him fly an F-18. There are no flight controls there.

Still cannot wait for this movie! Much better than TG1 with the cheesy rolling around blue sky behind them.
'03ag
I noticed the harness too, but I think it may be due to the fish eye effect of the camera. Making his shoulders look droopier than they really are.
Post removed:
by user
nosoupforyou
AG
Where is Ice Man? That's the only miss from the trailer...
HeadGames
AG
Pahdz said:

They do know it's a TEASER trailer, right?
FiTxAg04
AG
I've been to the theater to see a movie ONCE in the last 10 years, for American Sniper. It's not that I'm against going to the theater; I love movies, I just wait for everything to release to streaming platforms and watch from the comfort of my home.

That said, this is a movie that I will fight the crowds for and see opening day. Like many here, I have never been so pumped for a movie. Ever. I almost wish they hadn't released this teaser with a year to go for the premiere. It is going to be one LONG year!
G Martin 87
AG

Can't get enough.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
nosoupforyou said:

TC said he might not make the final cut because his health impacted his performance.
TCTTS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

The real shocker of the last two days for me is finding out that TC isn't even 40 years old yet.
Ha, I can't tell if that's good or bad...
TCTTS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

nosoupforyou said:

TC said he might not make the final cut because his health impacted his performance.

This is all I know...

- Val Kilmer's scene(s) were some of the first scene(s) shot, simply because they didn't know what his health status was going to be down the road. He did two days, I think, in San Diego, right at the beginning of filming. Then I think he came back at some point later and did another day or two, if that.

- There was apparently an old draft where Maverick was more of a retired hermit and no one knew where he was, save for Iceman. So whoever it was who needed Maverick went to a poor-in-health Iceman and he gave them Maverick's location. That was his only scene. Seeing as this trailer confirms that Maverick is no longer retired, I have no idea what Iceman's new role might be.

- Val Kilmer can hardly speak nowadays due to his throat cancer (which I think he beat but still left him in pretty bad shape). I have no idea how this is approached in the movie, but I do know that he filmed actual lines (i.e. he's not a mute in the movie).

- Christopher McQuarrie came aboard right before filming to give last-minute notes, then basically stuck around and rewrote/reshaped a lot of the script, to the point where he's a credited writer on the movie now. Point being, either he could have eliminated Iceman in his rewrites, or the filmmakers could have decided Kilmer's performance just doesn't work due to his health/voice. That's probably another reason they shot his scene(s) first, to give themselves the flexibility to cut him or not, but it sounds like his role wasn't that consequential to begin with.

- If they keep him, I think a good scene to compare to could be Edward James Olmos' one scene in Blade Runner 2049. Gosling's character visits him in an old folks home, and Olmos' character (from the first movie) gives him a minor but crucial piece of info that helps Gosling's character find Harrison Ford's character. Again, no one is obviously looking for Maverick in this version, but I could see Maverick visiting a poor-in-health Iceman for some minor but crucial bit of info that helps move the plot forward. Maybe something along those lines.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.