*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

302,904 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
512Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought we as a society agreed to never bring up the original TMNT game again, lest we all have PTSD.
nosoupforyou
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

That man of steel teaser was insanely good.

Link?
BassCowboy33
Silvertaps said:

This looks a LOT better than I thought!
Although the scenes with the plane a few feet off the water and desert reminds me a bit of some recent Star Wars scenes.

Hoping it's not a "trailer was better than the movie" scenario.

If I had to guess, he's a test pilot. That's usually where that type of thing happens.
Stive
AG
Yoda said:

Being able to land that jet and beating Mike Tyson remain my two greatest Nintendo achievements ever. Something to tell the grandkids about someday.

I could land the jet on a pretty regular basis.

Never could beat Mike Tyson.
TCTTS
AG
So, now that we've seen the trailer, and are all pretty hyped, do we think this has any shot at all at the box office crown next summer? Opening weekend? Neither?

Here's the primary competition...

- Jungle Cruise
- Marvel's Black Widow
- Tenet (Christopher Nolan's next)
- Untitled Fast & Furious 9
- Untitled Ghostbusters 3
- Wonder Woman 1984

I'm assuming WW84 takes the prize, but the buzz for this IS starting to reach pretty insane levels...
'03ag
All I know is I'll be there opening night. I havent done that since I was like 20.
annie88
AG

This.
Looks.
Awesome.

I was 19 when the first one came out.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
That trailer is long but distinguished! This film may singlehandedly solve Low T; I expect testosterone levels may rise 30 points nationwide on release day.

Also, Navy recruiting is about to get another nice bump.
Pahdz
It should, but don't underestimate the Brian Earl Spillner's of the world
Bruce Almighty
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

nosoupforyou said:

Was iceman in the trailer? I know he's in the movie but that was a miss to not have him do that 'bite' face with his cool shades on
I watched it once on my phone, no idea. I'm sure IO9 or someone will have a shot by shot analysis before too long.

When I was a junior in HS (1991), I visited A&M for a 2-day honors program orientation. That night we got to watch Top Gun at Rudder Theater.

Is 34 years (1986-2020) the record for length of time between a movie and its sequel?

Top Gun is third behind Blade Runner and Mary Poppins. There's also unofficial sequels like Return to Oz.
jbeaman88
AG
Who else was at A&M when the original was released and saw it multiple times at the theater I'm Bryan? Not sure if I've seen another original release multiple times since then.

Now my BQ '18 son is in Naval Aviator flight training which makes the sequel a little more special.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This trailer is currently trending higher than It Chapter 2 on YouTube.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm not hugely enthused about the F&F franchise going forward, if I'm being honest.
trip
AG

Definitely below the flight(Hard) deck. I wish he was inverted.

Edited to fix my mistake
'03ag
The HARD deck

5 lashings....
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Right here. Born in 1980. Top Gun was the first movie I can ever remember seeing in theaters. I still remember exactly where we sat.
Okay. This explains so much. My previous not-well-received comments about Top Gun are a result that I went Air Force in 1980

Yes, I'm old. Same age as the original Top Gun hot shots with the popped collars and dog tags and gelled haircuts and cowboy hats and sunglasses and DOD experts in high heels who had class time in hangers, because hangers are where you talk about classified topics. The open air cancels out all the surveillance mics.

F-14 dogfighters . What a great concept.

Hopefully, new Top Gun will be better. Doubt they top the sound track, though. If it's same as last Top Gun, it's just fuel to gig my Navy friends.
Sex Panther
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

Right here. Born in 1980. Top Gun was the first movie I can ever remember seeing in theaters. I still remember exactly where we sat.
Okay. This explains so much. My previous not-well-received comments about Top Gun are a result that I went Air Force in 1980

Yes, I'm old. Same age as the original Top Gun hot shots with the popped collars and dog tags and gelled haircuts and cowboy hats and sunglasses and DOD experts in high heels who had class time in hangers, because hangers are where you talk about classified topics. The open air cancels out all the surveillance mics.

F-14 dogfighters . What a great concept.

Hopefully, new Top Gun will be better. Doubt they top the sound track, though. If it's same as last Top Gun, it's just fuel to gig my Navy friends.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I was born in 79 and the most defining movie of my childhood, at least before 10, was Transformers.
TCTTS
AG
May 16, 1986 = Top Gun
August 8, 1986 = Transformers: The Movie

Both movies - the first two theatrical experiences I remember - were HUGELY influential on me.
InternetFan02
AG
"Please take that loving feeling that we've all lost and inject it straight into my carotid"

thach
AG
There are some great flying shots in there, so I'll be watching it for those (like I still watch the original!).

However, why isn't Cruise wearing a JHMCS?! (I know, I know, it would block his face...)
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
FightnFarmerUSMC said:

InternetFan02 said:

There's a small niche of guys born probably 1978-1981 that were too young for the Star Wars experience in the theaters but still played with the toys and therefore THIS movie is the defining blockbuster movie of our childhoods. I'm always in for these nostalgia driven remakes but this is the biggest.

Born in late '83 and this was the foundation of all my love of cinema. 70% of my earliest memories have to do with this movie or paraphernalia in some form or another.

I know, I know, quote of myself...just wanted to add another little personal tidbit. I joined the USMC in 2003 and was stationed in San Diego. My buddy's wife was at Miramar while we were at Pendleton. I ran past the actual blue Top Gun house in Oceanside multiple times every week. I legit got goosebumps every single time. No hyperbole. Every time.
B Team Captain
AG
Y'all catch the F14 flying off at the end of the trailer. Bad a$$.
Post removed:
by user
jbanda
AG
I don't get how Hamm was never an agent in any of the Matrix movies.
Ciboag96
I hear in the movie he has a drunken slump buster with Charlie and when he wakes up and sees her he flies his F-18 into a mountain. Could a rumor though.
javajaws
AG
I definitely felt my low T correcting itself while watching that trailer.
Post removed:
by user
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm not hugely enthused about the F&F franchise going forward, if I'm being honest.
coming in 2032, FF13: Why So Furious?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
jbeaman88 said:

Who else was at A&M when the original was released and saw it multiple times at the theater I'm Bryan? Not sure if I've seen another original release multiple times since then.

Now my BQ '18 son is in Naval Aviator flight training which makes the sequel a little more special.
Yep, I was at A&M during that time frame, Class of '89. Saw it 2-3 times.
Pahdz
Trailer set to Danger Zone

Nagler
AG
Well I'm fully erect.

Let's do this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.