*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

303,079 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
InternetFan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's a small niche of guys born probably 1978-1981 that were too young for the Star Wars experience in the theaters but still played with the toys and therefore THIS movie is the defining blockbuster movie of our childhoods. I'm always in for these nostalgia driven remakes but this is the biggest.
TCTTS
AG
Right here. Born in 1980. Top Gun was the first movie I can ever remember seeing in theaters. I still remember exactly where we sat.
Bunk Moreland
Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

I know I'm overhyping the hell out of this, but that was one of the five best trailer-watching experiences I've ever had. Seriously had goosebumps the entire time. A part of me was always worried that there was no way this movie could deliver, but not anymore. Holy sh*t.

No you're not... that's one of the best trailers I've ever seen. My office just had the biggest bro out ever. Pretty much every guy just watched it freaking out.

+2. Been super swamped today. Just sat down at my desk and watched...holy *****
InternetFan02
AG
Yes! First memory of a movie in theaters. First VHS purchase. It's mainly the only thing I remember about 1st grade - talking about top gun and play-fighting the Russians.
TCTTS
AG
I mean...

THEN: LT. Nick "Goose" Bradshaw w/ Maverick & co + a young Bradley (and a Budweiser)...

NOW: LT. Bradley Bradshaw w/ co-pilots (and a Budweiser)...

FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
InternetFan02 said:

There's a small niche of guys born probably 1978-1981 that were too young for the Star Wars experience in the theaters but still played with the toys and therefore THIS movie is the defining blockbuster movie of our childhoods. I'm always in for these nostalgia driven remakes but this is the biggest.

Born in late '83 and this was the foundation of all my love of cinema. 70% of my earliest memories have to do with this movie or paraphernalia in some form or another.
'03ag
81 here. I played with the toys and was aware of Star Wars but I dont think I actually saw the whole trilogy until it was released in theaters again in the 90s.

Top Gun is the first semi "grown up" movie I remember seeing. And even that was a TV airing. Which we recorded and WORE OUT on VHS. It wasn't until a while later that we bought the real thing. I've easily seen this movie 100 times. By a lot.
Engine10
AG
Quote:

You'll pick up your RIO when you get to the ship

TCTTS
AG
Got a little surprise for you guys.

I may or may not have been texting some of these responses to my buddy. And the producer and the director may or may not be loving every word...

Sex Panther
AG
I demand that the director knows I got an erection upon watching this trailer
Bunk Moreland
So basically we're all in Top Gun 3? Got it.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, he's WELL aware.
FancyKetchup14
AG
That man of steel teaser was insanely good.
TCTTS
AG
I think it's probably my favorite teaser ever.
concac
AG
thaed137 said:

Top Gun was one of my all time favorite movies growing up. This trailer brought back all those feelings. Will definitely be going to see it.
It's still my favorite movie of all time.
FancyKetchup14
AG
This trailer. Holy ***** The shot of them breaking the sound barrier in the mountains was insanely cool.
512Ag
AG
Holy mother of god. I'm all in.
Silvertaps
AG
Is Kelly McGillis the aircraft carrier?
Pahdz
InternetFan02 said:

Yep, 1979 here, plus was my dad was in the Navy on carriers during Vietnam so he was happier than you know what to watch this with me as a youngster.

Took my wife to see this a few years back in 3D Imax in OKC when it re-released for a short period. She'd never seen, always made fun of my (and every other guys) obsession of it. As we walked out of the theater she goes "you know, that's not a bad movie." NO CRAP CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!
Bunk Moreland
I've probably received no fewer than 10 messages across various text and SM chats over the last handful of hours. This movie is going to kill it.

I never do 'event' nights at the movies but I'd do a TG/TG: maverick double feature in a heartbeat if a nearby theater has one next year.
RAB91
This original movie came out while I was in high school. I only thought it was an OK movie, but with that trailer, I'll definitely be seeing this one in theaters.

Tom Cruise is the rare actor for me that his personal qualities that I don't like don't bother me at all when I watch his movies. I'm pretty sure he sold his soul to the devil to slow down the aging process.
Engine10
AG
I'm just preparing my body for what should be an epic sound experience. Any time my dad got new speakers we tested it on Top Gun and Boston's greatest hits.
512Ag
AG
Engine10 said:

I'm just preparing my body for what should be an epic sound experience. Any time my dad got new speakers we tested it on Top Gun and Boston's greatest hits.

My dad did the same...minus Boston.
We saw Top Gun 7 or 8 times in the theater when I was a kid (born in 79) As much as I love Star Wars, Top Gun is and always will be my favorite movie. I'm so excited!
TCTTS
AG
TG
--------
TG: M

Pahdz
plot/story guesses/discussion

• thoughts on the astronaut getup?
  • clock in the beginning reading "Time to Target." Is Maverick's final mission a kamikaze deal?
TCTTS
AG
All I know is that Goose's son apparently gets caught behind enemy lines and that Maverick and co. have to try and save him. How much of the plot that comprises, I have no idea.
Vince Blake
Looks awesome! Hopefully the video game tie-in will make it easier to land on the aircraft carrier this time around.
Engine10
AG
I'll bet there's a Manned Aircraft vs. Drone angle.
512Ag
AG
Bad Dude said:

Looks awesome! Hopefully the video game tie-in will make it easier to land on the aircraft carrier this time around.

Not likely.
InternetFan02
AG
Jon Hamm

Yoda
AG
Being able to land that jet and beating Mike Tyson remain my two greatest Nintendo achievements ever. Something to tell the grandkids about someday.
TCTTS
AG
Engine10 said:

I'll bet there's a Manned Aircraft vs. Drone angle.
Pretty sure that's what the "Your kind is headed for extinction" line is all about.
InternetFan02
AG
Glen Powell!

Engine10
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Jon Hamm

Calling my shot that Hamm is the new Air Boss

Pahdz
c'mon this wasn't THAT hard guys, it's not like it was the first TMNT game or Friday the 13th

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.