*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

302,891 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by YNWA_AG
jbanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is "what do we say to the god of death," Alex?
TCTTS
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Genuinely curious what your other ones are.

Hmmm. Off the top of my head, I'd have to say, in no particular order...

The first teaser for Godzilla ('98)
The first teaser trailer for Man of Steel
The first teaser trailer for The Dark Knight
The first teaser trailer for The Matrix Reloaded
The first teaser trailer for The Phantom Menace
The first teaser trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ('90)
The first full trailer for Inception
The first full trailer for Interstellar

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, though.
agracer
AG
TCTTS said:

I know I'm overhyping the hell out of this, but that was one of the five best trailer-watching experiences I've ever had. Seriously had goosebumps the entire time. A part of me was always worried that there was no way this movie could deliver, but not anymore. Holy sh*t.
Didn't you say the same thing about the new Tron movie....

jbanda
AG
But seriously. There's no possible way the actual movie could be as good as this trailer is (I mean it can't be).

Wild ass guess - the Ed Harris speech about "somehow staying alive" foreshadows Maverick's noble death.
agracer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

But for real, knowing that Tom Cruise did all that crazy **** in the air himself, I'll be watching.
The military let him fly an F/A-18F? I figured he was just in the back seat and the camera makes it look like he's flying the plane.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, I'm sure. That's another amazing trailer experience. A trailer that EVERYONE was hyping, not just myself. But that's the beauty of trailers. The eventual movie can disappoint, but it doesn't take away from the hype you felt upon seeing the movie's first trailer.
TCTTS
AG
agracer said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But for real, knowing that Tom Cruise did all that crazy **** in the air himself, I'll be watching.
The military let him fly an F/A-18E? I figured he was just in the back seat and the camera makes it look like he's flying the plane.
Cruise didn't actually fly any of the planes solo.
tamusc
AG
TCTTS said:

agracer said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The military let him fly an F/A-18E? I figured he was just in the back seat and the camera makes it look like he's flying the plane.
Cruise didn't actually fly any of the planes solo.

Yeah, those are all shots of him in the two seat trainer version, but the shots are framed to look like the single seater, right?
wangus12
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I wasn't interested in seeing this........now I cant ****ing wait
Honestly, same here and I love the original one.

Silvertaps
AG
This looks a LOT better than I thought!
Although the scenes with the plane a few feet off the water and desert reminds me a bit of some recent Star Wars scenes.

Hoping it's not a "trailer was better than the movie" scenario.
TCTTS
AG
Right. As far as I know. Though, I have first-hand knowledge that Cruise tried like hell to fly one solo, but the government straight up wouldn't let him.
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
This is the most excited I've been about cinema in years.
nosoupforyou
AG
TCTTS said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

Genuinely curious what your other ones are.

Hmmm. Off the top of my head, I'd have to say, in no particular order...

The first teaser for Godzilla ('98)
The first teaser trailer for Man of Steel
The first teaser trailer for The Dark Knight
The first teaser trailer for The Matrix Reloaded
The first teaser trailer for The Phantom Menace
The first teaser trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ('90)
The first full trailer for Inception
The first full trailer for Interstellar

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, though.
Mission Impossible Fallout - has to be in the top 2-3 trailers of all time!

TCTTS
AG
That one's definitely up there as well.
TCTTS
AG
Downloadable, true-1080p version (as opposed to YouTube's compression) for video quality freaks like me...

http://www.hd-trailers.net/movie/top-gun-maverick/

I was told a 4K version is coming, but I don't know when.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Supporting cast - Ed Harris, Jennifer Connelly, Jon Hamm, Val Kilmer, Miles Teller

Would really like to see Iceman as a 2 or 3 star admiral who repeatedly makes Maverick report and has him do 5,000 pushups in a row.
HeadGames
AG
I'm so happy.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
TCTTS said:

MOTHER OF GOD, IT LOOKS EVEN BETTER THAN I EVER IMAGINED IT COULD...

TAKE MY BREATH AWAYYYYYY
Thunder18
AG
We had a 'bro-out' in my office this afternoon as well about this. If the movie can live up to the hype of that trailer we are all in for a treat
AgMarauder04
AG
THE MUSIC.
nosoupforyou
AG
Was iceman in the trailer? I know he's in the movie but that was a miss to not have him do that 'bite' face with his cool shades on
MW03
AG
I am excited let my son watch this way too young, as my dad before me, and create another generation of Ws obsessed with fighter jets.
TCTTS
AG
Nope. He currently has a very small part in the movie. I have no idea if his scene(s) are even going to make the final cut, due to his health, which affected his performance.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
nosoupforyou said:

Was iceman in the trailer? I know he's in the movie but that was a miss to not have him do that 'bite' face with his cool shades on
I watched it once on my phone, no idea. I'm sure IO9 or someone will have a shot by shot analysis before too long.

When I was a junior in HS (1991), I visited A&M for a 2-day honors program orientation. That night we got to watch Top Gun at Rudder Theater.

Is 34 years (1986-2020) the record for length of time between a movie and its sequel?
thaed137
AG
Top Gun was one of my all time favorite movies growing up. This trailer brought back all those feelings. Will definitely be going to see it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Are they taking out Starkiller Base at the end?
Engine10
AG
Trailer was badass. Can't wait! I'd be Monica Barbaro's wingman any time.

Definitely got the TFA X Wing attack vibe from that F-18 shot.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

I know I'm overhyping the hell out of this, but that was one of the five best trailer-watching experiences I've ever had. Seriously had goosebumps the entire time. A part of me was always worried that there was no way this movie could deliver, but not anymore. Holy sh*t.

No you're not... that's one of the best trailers I've ever seen. My office just had the biggest bro out ever. Pretty much every guy just watched it freaking out.
Did you all go out for an impromptu game of shirtless volleyball?

Gigem314
AG
Wow!!! Now THAT'S how you produce a trailer for a long-anticipated sequel!!

The visuals...holy crap. Elements of MI, TFA, and the original Top Gun all rolled into one. The shot of him and the helmet in the cockpit is definitely a "Chewie...we're home" moment.

Say what you want about Tom Cruise, but he goes all out to give the audience the best experience.

And as if they couldn't touch on enough nostalgia from childhood, the shot of Jennifer Connelly turning around and smiling...

CAN'T WAIT!!
TXAG 05
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

nosoupforyou said:

I watched it once on my phone, no idea. I'm sure IO9 or someone will have a shot by shot analysis before too long.

When I was a junior in HS (1991), I visited A&M for a 2-day honors program orientation. That night we got to watch Top Gun at Rudder Theater.

Is 34 years (1986-2020) the record for length of time between a movie and its sequel?

I believe it's Mary Poppins, but Top Gun is up there.

Incredibly pumped for this movie. If it's half as good as the trailer, this could be the greatest movie of all time.
Sex Panther
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

No you're not... that's one of the best trailers I've ever seen. My office just had the biggest bro out ever. Pretty much every guy just watched it freaking out.
Did you all go out for an impromptu game of shirtless volleyball?

It was discussed. Dead serious. We then cranked Playing With The Boys
InternetFan02
InternetFan02
AG
That opening chord omg

There's no way the movie will be better than the hype. I don't care. Enjoy the ride
chimpanzee
I think this will do ok in theaters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.