New coach

147,215 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A&M pitchers hit 69 opposing batters (HBP) in 56 games this season. (48 in conference play)

A&M committed 60 errors in 56 games. (34 in league play)

GoodAg21
It would seem the most popular choices are Vitello and tadlock. What say y'all?
85AustinAg
AG
Schlossnagle is being discussed a bit.
W
AG
by comparison to the 2016 gold standard...

the '16 staff hit 44 opposing batters in 65 games.

committed 57 errors in 65 games
GoodAg21
85AustinAg said:

Schlossnagle is being discussed a bit.?
He is but I think we must ask ourselves... Has he peaked?
Buck Turgidson
Fury_239 said:

Why would the Tech coach leave his alma mater where is is on a roll?

The Tennessee coach, however, seems gettable.
hunter2012
AG
Fury_239 said:

85AustinAg said:

Schlossnagle is being discussed a bit.?
He is but I think we must ask ourselves... Has he peaked?

Looks like it's been a similar situation to Jimbo, he went through a divorce and lost his house in it. Maybe he needs a change of scenery to rebuild to greatness.
GoodAg21
Buck Turgidson said:

Fury_239 said:

Why would the Tech coach leave his alma mater where is is on a roll?

The Tennessee coach, however, seems gettable.

I would argue that he's still in Texas, he has taken a team from Lubbock to 3 CWS in a decade. I am also in no way disrespecting Vitello as CoastAg said "Everything he touches turns to gold."
Spurswin5
Sandman98 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

duddleysdraw88 said:

He needs to be GONE after the last out today!

Over a month ago, an everyday starter replied to the question "How's it going?"...... first words out of his mouth.... "I'm done with baseball"

There's more but I'll stop there!

Hate to break it to you, but most of the TCU players cannot stand Schlossnagle. Same with DBU players not liking Heefner. Most of the Texas players don't care for Price. And yes, I have first-hand accounts to back up these statements.

I'm not defending Childress...just letting you know most college baseball players don't care for their head coach. Most college players have grown up being coddled by helicopter parents who forked over tons of money to get their kid on some "elite" travel baseball team. They've gone to the most expensive camps, been provided with top tier personal hitting/pitching coaches, and they've often been surrounded by high level talent. Then, when they get to college, have to work hard, don't get the playing time they think they deserve, can't pick and choose their teammates, don't win every game, and don't have momma and daddy there to fight their battles for them, a lot of them are suddenly "done" with baseball. It happens to hundreds of kids in every program every season.

Print this on a t-shirt. Every word is true.

I have intimate knowledge and can confirm that the players don't like Pierce at t.u., but he's got talent in place now that can make-up for any coaching shortfall. He is a no excuses tough coach. His strength is not that of a pitching coach and handled his young staff poorly in 2019.
Bird Poo
AG
Spurswin5 said:

Sandman98 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

duddleysdraw88 said:

He needs to be GONE after the last out today!

Over a month ago, an everyday starter replied to the question "How's it going?"...... first words out of his mouth.... "I'm done with baseball"

There's more but I'll stop there!

Hate to break it to you, but most of the TCU players cannot stand Schlossnagle. Same with DBU players not liking Heefner. Most of the Texas players don't care for Price. And yes, I have first-hand accounts to back up these statements.

I'm not defending Childress...just letting you know most college baseball players don't care for their head coach. Most college players have grown up being coddled by helicopter parents who forked over tons of money to get their kid on some "elite" travel baseball team. They've gone to the most expensive camps, been provided with top tier personal hitting/pitching coaches, and they've often been surrounded by high level talent. Then, when they get to college, have to work hard, don't get the playing time they think they deserve, can't pick and choose their teammates, don't win every game, and don't have momma and daddy there to fight their battles for them, a lot of them are suddenly "done" with baseball. It happens to hundreds of kids in every program every season.

Print this on a t-shirt. Every word is true.

I have intimate knowledge and can confirm that the players don't like Pierce at t.u., but he's got talent in place now that can make-up for any coaching shortfall. He is a no excuses tough coach. His strength is not that of a pitching coach and handled his young staff poorly in 2019.

Augie 2.0?
Amarillo Slim
AG
WoodlandsAg09 said:

Assuming we get a new coach after this season would we realistically be able to contend in the SEC next season or is this a multi year rebuild at this point?
The way the new transfer rules are I believe with the right big named coach it would be the expectation.
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
Amarillo Slim
AG
Foxo said:

"Tadlock, who took the Red Raiders to the College World Series for the third time in five years, will receive a seven-year, $7 million deal that pays him $300,000 in base salary and $700,000 in rights fees each year of the contract. The agreement runs through Aug. 31, 2025."

College World Series coaches' pay
  • Vanderbilt's Tim Corbin: $1,300,000.
  • Arkansas' Dave Van Horn: $1,100,000.
  • Louisville's Dan McDonnell: $1,100,000.
  • Auburn's Butch Thompson: $1,000,000.
  • Texas Tech's Tim Tadlock: $1,000,000.
  • Florida State's Mike Martin: $700,000.
  • Mississippi State's Chris Lemonis: $600,000.

Actually I think Corbin total comp about $2.2M and your leaving Kevin O'Sullivan and Mainieri off who both make over $1M
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
jkag89
I think he was only listing the coaches of the teams that made the 2019 College World Series. Neither Florida or LSU were in the field in Omaha that season. The coach he left off was Michigan's Erik Bakich. According to Google his base salary is $400,000.

Mentioning Mainieri, should we consider him if LSU decides to go in a different direction? He has had more success in Omaha than most of the names bandied about in these threads.
Amarillo Slim
AG
AggieFrog said:

Exactly. There is the easy test of top baseball schools in the country. Its unfortunate the lsu job most likely opening up the same time as ours.
EMY92
AG
Let's wait to see if he throws his closer 13 consecutive innings.
Amarillo Slim
AG
drthoop said:

I personally don't want Vitello. He reminded me too much of that Kentucky coach a couple of seasons ago. Showed his ass. I also like McDonnell at Louisville along with Tadlock. I don't like Schloss at all. Never have. I know he's a favorite of some on here. Bakich at Michigan and Pat Casey from Oregon State are other good choices.

With some of these you have to weigh whether or not they'd be a good fit here. I'm not necessarily talking about culture as much as knowing the recruiting grounds although culture does come into play.

Corbin and Schloss have a different situation with the scholarship stuff. How would they perform without that advantage? I honestly don't know. Also how would Schloss perform without Sarloos (pitching coach)?

Lots of questions.

All in all I think Tadlock would be the best hire. Is that who we get? Only time will tell.
Damn, forgot about Bakich. He would be a homerun hire as well!
Amarillo Slim
AG
jkag89 said:

I think he was only listing the coaches of the teams that made the 2019 College World Series. Neither Florida or LSU were in the field in Omaha that season. The coach he left off was Michigan's Erik Bakich. According to Google his base salary is $400,000.

Mentioning Mainieri, should we consider him if LSU decides to go in a different direction? He has had more success in Omaha than most of the names bandied about in these threads.
Thanks for clarification.

Hell no on Mainieri. He is mentally dne. Not the same since his dad died and LA highschool baseball coaches hate him. That is a very telling sign imo.
85AustinAg
AG
85AustinAg
AG
I think that's why guys like Schlossnagle and Tadlock are mentioned. The Texas connection for whatever its worth may be what keeps a coach like this in state.
Amarillo Slim
AG
User1219 said:

Tadlock has one of the top recruiters in the country. J-Bob Thomas was named 2017 Assistant Coach of the Year. People come to play for him. He was at Howard JC in Big Spring and won the JUCO National Championship there in 09'. Record 63-1. Tim was the best recruiter in the country and everything I've read says he hired a guy who became the next best recruiter in the country. If we could land them or Vitello I would be happy. Guys come from all over to play for those guys.
Based on recruiting rankings he has not been top recruiter at tech. Based on player evaluation and development he us one of the top coaches out there imo.
dang-o-shoot
Any thoughts on Link Jarrett at Norte Dame? He has them in the top 10. He played at Florida State. I'm sure he would like to get back to some warm weather.
GoodAg21
Does anyone have any tech friends who are concerned about losing tadlock? One of mine said that would be the day so they can fire their AD
Dex_Mick_Bear
Who would be the "we use $100 bills to light our cigars", Jimbo-style hire?
SchizoAg
AG
Nebraska just won the Big 10 championship with Will Bolt at the helm (former A&M hitting coach from our best recent hitting years).
Thisguy1
User1219 said:

Tadlock has one of the top recruiters in the country. J-Bob Thomas was named 2017 Assistant Coach of the Year. People come to play for him. He was at Howard JC in Big Spring and won the JUCO National Championship there in 09'. Record 63-1. Tim was the best recruiter in the country and everything I've read says he hired a guy who became the next best recruiter in the country. If we could land them or Vitello I would be happy. Guys come from all over to play for those guys.

Howard was loaded with former D1 players that year that they got because they'd hit up all the freshman that weren't playing right away at D1s. Kudos to them for doing it but I know it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. There was also a lot more going on as to how they got and kept those players.

They were a very good team that year. I pitched against them and they were easily the most disciplined hitters I faced all year. We were also the team that gave them that 1 loss on the year and nearly beat them again to go to Grand Junction. It would have been interesting had we made it because one of our starters had a torn UCL and I was loaded up on cortisone and ended up with a torn UCL a few months later.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Any thoughts on Link Jarrett at Norte Dame? He has them in the top 10. He played at Florida State. I'm sure he would like to get back to some warm weather.
I see minimal post season experience which is a concern to me.
themissinglink
AG
SchizoAg said:

Nebraska just won the Big 10 championship with Will Bolt at the helm (former A&M hitting coach from our best recent hitting years).
Congrats to him. Sit on a fastballs works until the really good pitchers in your league figure out you can't hit off speed pitches.
dermdoc
AG
dang-o-shoot said:

Actually my first choice.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GoodAg21
After speaking with tech friends there seems to be legit concern. They went as far to say that new facility was announced this early just for this purpose to counter us. They are also saying that They are 4.5 mil and years away from it it even happening.
jkag89
SchizoAg said:

TexAgs was ready to fire him midseason in 2019 and many were thrilled he took the Huskers job so we would be rid of him. I know B1G isn't the SEC but many here want Michigan's Erik Bakich as RC's replacement. Congrats to Bolt. I hope he returns the Huskers to their glory days when he was a player with the proviso it does not come at the expense of the Aggies.
MadDog73
AG
Derm, why do you like Link Jarrett from Norte Dame vs the other 3 being mentioned?
dermdoc
AG
I like Bakich from Michigan also.

I personally do not like Schloss or Vitello. And I do not think Tadlock will leave Tech.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MadDog73
AG
Just researched Jarrett. Forgot that ND played baseball in ACC. He would be a good choice, if Tadlock turns us down. I really don't like Schlossnagle.
Houstonag
AG
The one coach that I like is the Vanderbilt coach. He does a great job of recruiting and develops skill.

For sure I do not want a coach who is an rude and has been referred to as a "butt".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.