New coach

146,971 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
drthoop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's interesting is to correlate those numbers with stadium capacity. Percentage attendance will surprise some folks. I did it a few months back but didn't save it and am too damn lazy to do it again.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
drthoop
AG
Just a couple of quick ones.

TAMU averaged 80.9% capacity.
Ole Miss. 77.6%
Miss State. 66%
Arky is 74.9%
BQ_90
AG
whats nice is this is one internet fight that will get settled once we hire new coach.
Sq 17
BQ_90 said:

whats nice is this is one internet fight that will get settled once we hire new coach.
The only way this fight is resolved if the Ags get Tadlock , Corbin or the L'ville coach . If we get one of them , then dermdoc and Hunter are right and it is proven A&M can get any coach they want. Any other hire allows both sides to claim they were right
dermdoc
AG
Sq 17 said:

BQ_90 said:

The only way this fight is resolved if the Ags get Tadlock , Corbin or the L'ville coach . If we get one of them , then dermdoc and Hunter are right and it is proven A&M can get any coach they want. Any other hire allows both sides to claim they were right
What if the guy we want the most is not one of those three?

The only point I am making is that the A&M job is a lot better job than what a lot of fans think. And hiring somebody outside of your three choices does not change that.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sq 17
A few posters are asserting we could get any coach we want. I have been accused of having BAS by disagreeing with that. I listed IMO the 3 hardest guys to get. Obviously if we got one of those guys I am wrong
As a more knowledgeable guy than myself
if we could get Tadlock is there anyone you would prefer to Tadlock? Or put another way
If we could get either Vitello or Tadlock what is your preference ?
drthoop
AG
I personally don't want Vitello. He reminded me too much of that Kentucky coach a couple of seasons ago. Showed his ass. I also like McDonnell at Louisville along with Tadlock. I don't like Schloss at all. Never have. I know he's a favorite of some on here. Bakich at Michigan and Pat Casey from Oregon State are other good choices.

With some of these you have to weigh whether or not they'd be a good fit here. I'm not necessarily talking about culture as much as knowing the recruiting grounds although culture does come into play.

Corbin and Schloss have a different situation with the scholarship stuff. How would they perform without that advantage? I honestly don't know. Also how would Schloss perform without Sarloos (pitching coach)?

Lots of questions.

All in all I think Tadlock would be the best hire. Is that who we get? Only time will tell.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Hardest coaches to get to leave their current position

Tim Corbin
Kevin O'Sullivan
Dan McDonnell
Brian O'Connor

Sq 17
Not sure O'Connor belongs on that list he is under 500 in league play in '18;'19;&'21
UVA gave him a raise when tu was looking I doubt he gets another raise if the Ags come calling His buyout could make it prohibitive to get him can't find any source on what his buyout is
TxA&Mhunter
AG
I'm basing my thoughts on him turning down in Nebraska job a few years ago.
Alpha Texan
AG
Monywolf said:

Alpha Texan said:

Sq 17 said:

Alpha Texan said:

I'd give it about 3 years of rebuild before I hope to have a good chance in year 3. College baseball gives freshmen a better chance to compete than football so it's not necessarily time to develop players so much as time to get the a foot in the state and gather talent.

That being said, for both his presence in state and what he has accomplished at Iraq Texas Tech, I want to crack open the checkbook for Tim Tadlock.

Problem with hiring Tadlock , he is already well compensated. As a coach why would you take over a rebuild when you have been consistently getting to Omaha with your current team. He is also a tech Alum.

Possibly we could money whip the UVA guy or Schlossnagle
I still think we could compensate enough, but I didn't know he's a Tech alum, so that's not gonna happen.

Apparently Schloss isn't going anywhere. I even feel like I heard A&M has talked to him before and there's no interest.
Schloss will come to A&M. Given his personal situation, he wants a fresh start. Expect Mosiello to follow, but not Saarloos.
I'd love it. I must be misremembering about him
goose91
AG
Since we are calling our shots...

I think a lot of coaches will let leak that they are 'interested' in the A&M job. Just like George Horton (Cal State Fulerton), Ray Tanner (S. Carolina), Danny Hall (Ga. Tech) and Jack Leggett (Clemson) did with the A&M job in 2005. All of them used that interest to get more money from their institutions.

Tadlock, Schloss, Corbin, Vitello will all use our opening to leverage more money from their current schools.

A lot of people will then be disappointed when we end up with someone like Mike Clement (Ole Miss) as our new head coach - who has previous A&M ties and previous ties to our A.D.

That's my prediction.

Chris '91
Sq 17
I like you calling your shot and reasoning given hopefully more posters will call their shot
If we pull Arky, or either Miss school coaches people will be fine that hire
twk
AG
If the new guy isn't one of these three: Tadlock, Schlossnagle, or Vitello; then something will have gone wrong. There are a few guys that would be quality hires that I just don't think are coming here for various reasons, but if Bjork can't snag one of these three, then we're going a little bit deeper down the list than I think we should.
powerbelly
AG
Sq 17 said:

I like you calling your shot and reasoning given hopefully more posters will call their shot
If we pull Arky, or either Miss school coaches people will be fine that hire
Hiring bianco will be like hiring Childress 2.0 and we should be able to do better them Clement.
Sq 17
I stand corrected people think the Mississippi coaches would not be good enough
powerbelly
AG
Sq 17 said:

I stand corrected people think the Mississippi coaches would not be good enough
Do you really think the guy with a worse post-season record than Childress is a hire that will get people excited?
dermdoc
AG
And I will be honest with y'all. I hope Rob wins out and stays. I love the guy.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Luke The Drifter
AG
dermdoc said:

And I will be honest with y'all. I hope wish Rob wins out would have had more post-season success and stays could have stayed. I love the guy.

FIFY...

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Luke The Drifter
AG
twk said:

If the new guy isn't one of these three: Tadlock, Schlossnagle, or Vitello; then something will have gone wrong. There are a few guys that would be quality hires that I just don't think are coming here for various reasons, but if Bjork can't snag one of these three, then we're going a little bit deeper down the list than I think we should.

100% agree with this. While I do not believe we are currently a nationally premier program, I believe we have the capability to get there and stay there. We've had flashes of national greatness under both MJ and RC...but neither figured out a way to sustain success. The right man at the right time could change that culture. But let's be clear - we are not there right now and, quite honestly, have not been there for any significant period of time in our 100+ year baseball history.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Spyderman
AG
1) Conference affliation
2) Geographic location
3) Salary
4) Facilities/commitment

Just guessing, but I would say there is not a single coach in the country that would not have some interest. Most, serious interest.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
TarponChaser
Link Jarrett from Notre Dame interest anybody?

This is his first full season there since last year was cancelled by covid but he had the Irish at 11-2 last year before the season was cancelled and has them in the top 10 this year after being below .500 under their previous 9 seasons.
85AustinAg
AG
Anybody know anything about Dan Heefner at DBU? He's my dark horse contender and I don't think a bad one. I just don't know much about him except he's a hitting guru and does a lot with little at DBU. The Statesman said he was interviewed for the sip job before they hired Pierce.
85AustinAg
AG
Link Jarrett #'s -

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
19992001, Flagler (Asst.)
2003,Florida State (Asst.)
20042005,Mercer (Asst.)
20062009,East Carolina (Asst.)
20102012,Auburn (Asst.)
20132019,UNC Greensboro
2020present,Notre Dame

Head coaching record Overall, 244-175

Sq 17
Good coach great but short tenure at ND a guy with a longer track record at the highest level is what some people are hoping for
hogfan14
TxA&Mhunter said:

Honestly facilities in attendance is nice. But The biggest draw for coaches to move is the proximity to the talent pool..

Not only is that a convenience for recruiting it's a convenience for the coach's home life and cuts down on the travel in the amount of time that he spends away from his family....

Imagine how much they have to travel to see kids play and then put that with being five to 7 hours away from any major metroplex in the case of Tadlock? It's hard to measure or imagine the impact it has on your family life.

I agree with this to an extent, but (and this really has nothing to do with A&M) I don't think USC baseball for example will ever be relevant on a national scale like they used to be even though they are nearby tons of talent, just because it's about the 10th most popular program in its own city. You have to have a combination of several things. Most SEC programs can realistically recruit all over - California, Hawaii, New Jersey, Ohio - because of how different college baseball is in the south and their budgets are much higher.
twk
AG
85AustinAg said:

Anybody know anything about Dan Heefner at DBU? He's my dark horse contender and I don't think a bad one. I just don't know much about him except he's a hitting guru and does a lot with little at DBU. The Statesman said he was interviewed for the sip job before they hired Pierce.
Heefner is a very good coach, but all his experience is at small schools. If you were looking for a guy who could do more with less, he would be at the top of your list. We, however, need the guy who will recruit the kind of players that we aren't having to do more with less. We need a guy who will get us a talent advantage. Nothing in his background says Heefner is that guy.
twk
AG
TarponChaser said:

Link Jarrett from Notre Dame interest anybody?

This is his first full season there since last year was cancelled by covid but he had the Irish at 11-2 last year before the season was cancelled and has them in the top 10 this year after being below .500 under their previous 9 seasons.
Not as much SEC or ACC experience as you would like. Also, that name will always conjure up one image for me:

Mark Fairchild
AG
Honest question, why won't Saarloos come with him?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
powerbelly
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Why won't Saarloos come with him?
I would assume he would get the TCU job.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Saarloos has done a fantastic job at TCU. I wouldn't have a problem with him being on the "Wish List" for the new coach.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
twk
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Honest question, why won't Saarloos come with him?

He would be in line for the TCU job, and, if he didn't get that, he could probably land another nice head coaching job. The other thing with Saarloos is that he is a retired major leaguer who has stayed in the same assistant job for a long time. He may not be interested in being a coaching nomad.
Divining Rod
Gary Gilmore- Lots and Lots to rely on. I like the way he has been CONSISTENTLY a winner; way he competes well with lesser talent; no stage is too big; a seasoned ol cuss that I think younger men will respect.

He's a little over 60; have him rebuild this program in his image in a 10year run then hopefully turn
it over to someone deserving that he's mentored.

I would think someone his age just might want to find out what he can do with unlimited resources vs the best that college baseball has to offer (SEC).
85AustinAg
AG
Gilmore is 63 and is getting treatment for cancer. I don't think he's going anywhere but maybe retirement.
Monywolf
In addition to personal differences, Kirk wants a head coaching job.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.