New coach

146,972 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
2020P.O.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wicked Good Ag said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

Sometimes when you're not having success with your pitching coach... A change of coach or Philosophy of coaching style can be exceptionally helpful...

When you look at the staff this year, Who truly looks like they have made great strides?

Are you saying that Childress isn't a good pitching coach as well ?? The last couple of recruiting classes on the bump have been subpar compared to what he had in the past. There is no Friday or Saturday arm on this team compared to last 10 seasons. That isn't a coaching issue that is a recruiting issue. A recruiting issue that didn't help with a lame duck contract coach.

I'd probably disagree with this...there are 2-3 true freshmen that have thrown 95-96. One was a starter but has slipped a little. The arms with first line starter potential is certainly there, Rob has coached so tightly this year things are falling thru the cracks..obviously..future development is taking a hit imo. Further.....name anyone on the staff that has improved this year as we've gone along? I can't say as I see any improvement.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Your right it was Sherrod who was also in the 40s.
And very correct he wasn't going to be better than dox or lacy... but the rest I believe he would have...
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Who says the pitching this year hasn't developed? The players are just not as good as Lacy, Doxakis, Wacha (going back), etc., maybe they will be going forward but right now they are not but that doesn't mean they have not been developed vs. they are developing. Regardless RC has always had good pitching for the Aggie baseball team, Usually very good, but always good enough. The pitching staff this season is average for RC, maybe even bad for RC, but it is still plenty good enough to win alot more games. RCs teams problems have always been offense and fielding % to a lesser extent. In college baseball you aren't going to win many games scoring 0-3 runs as A&M routinely does. And it is NOT a bad day for the pitching staff if they give up 4-6 runs, it's not great, but it is college baseball. We have lost a slew of SEC games scoring only 0-3 runs, and WON many non-con games scoring 0-3 or 4 runs that given the level of competition and what we should bring to the plate should have scored 10+ runs.

I am not defending RC overall as I think he needs to go, but complaining about the pitching is way off track to criticize RC and call for a change. Saying the pitching this season hasn't been good enough is like talking about football RC and saying his last defense was not good. No, it was not good by his standards, but it was still good and way better than we had for a very long time afterwards.

If you were only evaluating Aggie baseball under RC based on pitching there is no doubt he would and should remain the coach, but you evaluate based on the entire program, and that is why he needs to go.

PS - Bianco is NOT a candidate, for all the reasons RC needs to go you don't replace him with someone with a similar but LESS successful resume....
fasthorse05
Perhaps I should have started with regular appearances to Omaha first.

Honestly, I was trying to put something reasonable out there without touching on a couple of nerves. Candidly, I would certainly expect to get to Omaha 3 out of 5, but make the tournament every year.

However, I see your point.
JCB01
AG
Does Childress call pitches? I've heard he does or did and there have been indicators that he does, at least in many situations. If true, that's typically a sign of a bad pitching coach. It means the coach is not confident in the game plan, pitcher or catcher, or what he's taught his pitchers and catchers.
powerbelly
AG
JCB01 said:

Does Childress call pitches? I've heard he does or did and there have been indicators that he does, at least in many situations. If true, that's typically a sign of a bad pitching coach. It means the coach is not confident in the game plan, pitcher or catcher, or what he's taught his pitchers and catchers.

Almost every pitch in college is called from the dugout for most teams. Catchers now wear and earpiece to speed up the game.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/sports/baseball/college-baseball-catchers.html

Quote:

All eight teams at the College World Series call pitches from the bench, which for decades has been an accepted practice across the N.C.A.A. That differs from Major League Baseball, where catchers call the games with minimal dugout input.

Sandman98
AG
JCB01 said:

Maybe we don't deserve a great program.
OKCAGS
Wow.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Follow the game much?
TAM85
Good inning for Brooks Raley.
ColoradoMooseHerd
But the rookie made the comment with such confidence
JCB01
AG
Interesting article. I did not know it was this prevalent. My pitching philosophies are outdated. I laughed at Mainieri's quote. I've never heard any radio or TV broadcaster say, "the coach lost the game because he called that slider." I found some other interesting stuff researching different coaches pitch calling philosophies.
91AggieLawyer
AG
fasthorse05 said:

Perhaps I should have started with regular appearances to Omaha first.

Honestly, I was trying to put something reasonable out there without touching on a couple of nerves. Candidly, I would certainly expect to get to Omaha 3 out of 5, but make the tournament every year.

However, I see your point.

I wasn't trying to call you out. I just don't want us to go from regionals every year with a few supers being OK to winning a NC in 5 years or less being the expectation.

Indeed its odd that programs like Fresno and Coastal (not to mention Virginia) can win titles but FSU, who makes Omaha hotel reservations in July of the previous year, can't.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
85AustinAg said:

Make Tadlock in the top 3 of highest paid coaches in the country and promise him improvements to the facilities and I think we can get him.

Based on what?
Spyderman
AG
FriscoAggieFan said:

85AustinAg said:

Make Tadlock in the top 3 of highest paid coaches in the country and promise him improvements to the facilities and I think we can get him.

Based on what?
Intel from well connected sources.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Sq 17
Seems more likely Tadlock will be using A&M to get a raise
And will not be coaching at A&M

Regarding your well connected sources , I am certain Tadlock has "expressed interest"
the way a coach gets the maximum raise is by "expressing interest" in another job

I am still thinking we get the UVa coach because The UVa admin decides they do not want to get in a bidding war.
dermdoc
AG
sosolik said:

Bianco is the first choice and trying to make him the highest paid coach in college baseball. Schloss is next if Bianco says no.
I know nothing but seriously hope you are wrong.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Luke The Drifter
AG
dermdoc said:

sosolik said:

Bianco is the first choice and trying to make him the highest paid coach in college baseball. Schloss is next if Bianco says no.
I know nothing but seriously hope you are wrong.

Agree. I would seriously have a difficult time showing as much devotion to Aggie baseball if we ended up with Bianco.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
MaroonStain
AG
If John Sharp's puppet AD brings in another Ole Miss bro, I'm done.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Can't tell if this is sarcasm but sure as hell hope it is...
CapCityAg89
AG
1 - don't feed the troll.

2 - we've clearly reached the "the current coach is absolutely horrible at every aspect of the job" stage of a transition. I'll be happy when we get to the "the last coach is to blame for every bad thing" stage.
Post removed:
by user
Sq 17
powerbelly said:

Sq 17 said:

I like you calling your shot and reasoning given hopefully more posters will call their shot
If we pull Arky, or either Miss school coaches people will be fine that hire
Hiring bianco will be like hiring Childress 2.0 and we should be able to do better them Clement.

Seeing as Bianco is being mentioned I thought an SEC coach with a ranked team would be acceptable, I was wrong
lots of people do not want Bianco
That being said given his failures at Omaha and trying to get to Omaha , A&M could possibly win a bidding war for bianco. Any top tier coach is going to have several offers and his current school will have the option to match.
Sq 17

Double post
Sq 17

Triple post my apologies
TxA&Mhunter
AG
He is not the first choice at all! Tbh he's not even in top half of the short list..
TarponChaser
Rumors that we're making or have made an offer that's hard to refuse to Schlossnagle.
SchizoAg
AG
There are no surefire options that we can get. I'm 95% sure that we will be downgrading.
powerbelly
AG
SchizoAg said:

There are no surefire options that we can get. I'm 95% sure that we will be downgrading.

Based on what?
W
AG
A&M is going to finish 12th or 13th or 14th in the SEC this year.

can't downgrade much below that
SchizoAg
AG
powerbelly said:

SchizoAg said:

Based on what?
Any coach who is demonstrably, consistently as good as or better than Childress won't come here.

At least with Childress, we know we'll have good pitching. He has the credibility in that area to get top-tier talent. That won't necessarily be true of his replacement.

I think we're better off keeping him, and money-whipping an assistant or two with MLB cred so we can recruit hitters and infielders.
TarponChaser
SchizoAg said:

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take and I'm not remotely convinced that if we can't get a current HC that taking a top assistant from somewhere is a downgrade at all.

We know what we've got in Childress and it's time to move on, even if that means a roll of the dice on a top assistant.
TarponChaser
SchizoAg said:

powerbelly said:

SchizoAg said:

Based on what?
Any coach who is demonstrably, consistently as good as or better than Childress won't come here.

At least with Childress, we know we'll have good pitching. He has the credibility in that area to get top-tier talent. That won't necessarily be true of his replacement.

I think we're better off keeping him, and money-whipping an assistant or two with MLB cred so we can recruit hitters and infielders.

Battered Aggie Syndrome in the extreme here.
SchizoAg
AG
TarponChaser said:

SchizoAg said:

powerbelly said:

SchizoAg said:

Based on what?

Compelling argument.

Go ahead, name a candidate who is an improvement, not a gamble, who we can get.
TarponChaser
SchizoAg said:

TarponChaser said:

SchizoAg said:

powerbelly said:

SchizoAg said:

Based on what?

Compelling argument.

Go ahead, name a candidate who is an improvement, not a gamble, who we can get.

They're all a gamble. Even if established. We know what we have with Childress and it ain't good enough. So we take our shot and let the chips fall where they may. If it doesn't work out we can the next guy and move on to the next but don't give a guy 15+ years of mostly mediocrity, especially most recently. The refusal to make a change from Slocum is why football wandered in the wilderness for 10 years while tu, ou, and lsu built recruiting juggernauts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.