New coach

147,209 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
AnScAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't care who it is as long as they try to focus on hitting as well as pitching. The only thing I do hope is that the Nebraska pipeline has dried up and we do not get caught up with chasing a name and simply focus on getting the best coach with the best overall philosophy.
rather be fishing
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Fury_239 said:

It would seem the most popular choices are Vitello and tadlock. What say y'all?
Why would the Tech coach leave his alma mater where is is on a roll?

The Tennessee coach, however, seems gettable.

Have you ever been to Lubbock?
TAM85
Not Schloss. Vitello if you want the SEC experience and if you want to pick another from the Van Horn coaching tree.

Link Jarrett if 49 is not too old. Hearing he is available. I don't know that Tadlock is available.
EMY92
AG
Lubbock isn't a bad place to live, I spent 8 years out there.

However, from a college baseball view, it's the most remote D1 baseball program. Their nearest D1 opponent is Abilene Christian. Then you have TCU, UTEP, and New Mexico. All are good distances.

This means that it takes much more work to recruit and it's challenging when scheduling mid week games.

Compare that to A&M, we are virtually in the heart of one of the richest recruiting grounds in the country. We also have many D1 opponents within 3 hours for mid week games.

We have very good facilities, a great baseball tradition, great fan support, and backing of the AD. Not to mention, we play in the best conference.

A&M has a ton to offer, I don't know if it will be enough, but there are few coaches that won't show some interest in the opening.
LOYAL AG
AG
Be careful when you evaluate the ND coach. Their financial arrangement appears to be similar if not identical to Vanderbilt which means he has a potentially HUGE recruiting advantage. This verbiage in pretty much identical to what Vanderbilt promises:

Quote:

We meet 100% of every student's demonstrated financial need. That's a promise.
Vandy has that same verbiage and the presentation is identical. We saw it first hand at Vandy so I know my perception is right there. ND says they're 1 of 60 with this commitment which tells me I'm right. Few schools have that kind of an endowment. In fact their endowment per student is actually bigger than Vanderbilt so now I'm certain I'm right.

So the total cost is $78K, family makes about $140K and thus can "afford" $30K. ND has the rest. No loans. Obviously he won't have that in his back pocket at any school not called Vanderbilt or Stanford. This would be a mistake, IMO.

A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Aston04
AG
Not sure if a family pulling in 140k is going to get that huge of discount at ND. I have family that works there... Certainly, the typical student with family at that income level at ND is not getting that much help. I realize strings are pulled... but that's a huge one...
Gomer95
AG
Those of you that don't want Schlossnagle, why is that? I think he'd be a great option along with a few of these other names mentioned. I just wondered what dismisses him from some of you so quickly?
LOYAL AG
AG
Aston04 said:

Not sure if a family pulling in 140k is going to get that huge of discount at ND. I have family that works there... Certainly, the typical student with family at that income level at ND is not getting that much help. I realize strings are pulled... but that's a huge one...
It's right on their website, I didn't make those numbers up.

Cost of Attendance $78K
Family income of $140K - $160K Avg scholarship is $46K. Middle range is $37.2K - $51.4K. At the average that leaves $32K for the family.

ND Expected Family Contribution

They will do a lot more analysis to reach a final decision but this data is what the present. Vandy has an identical presentation and our real number was right in that range with with our income.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
ftworthag02
AG
They're still butt hurt
TAM85
Schloss has a good team this year and had good teams in the past. But at 52 is old for a position I would like to fill for the next 10 years, he had a losing record in the shortened 2020 season and in 2019 and 2018 had losing records in B12.

I didn't like the check the pitcher's glove, be is doctoring the ball stunt he pulled on us several years ago.
GoodAg21
He would not be a splash hire or elite hire. Getting him means we missed on tadlock and Vitello. Very average hire. I don't see him doing better than Rob here. What are yall's thoughts if we did get Schloss?
Aggies2009
AG
ftworthag02 said:

They're still butt hurt

I mean his ploy in 2015 to have Hendrix's glove checked was pretty bush league, but really I'd be hesitant to hire him because since 2017 he fell off (was elite before) and has had similar results to Childress.

If he can produce like he did before 2018, I'm all for it. Consider that he won't have the advantage of, for all intents and purposes, unlimited scholarships.
Post removed:
by user
TAM85
I feel most of Schloos' best days are behind him.
GoodAg21
exactly.
GoodAg21
Schloss should be our distant third option at best. Tadlock and Vitello are much much better hires. There is a gap between the top two and him in my opinion.
themissinglink
AG
He's lower on my list then Tadlock, Vitello, O'Conner and maybe a handful of others. The fall over the past couple years has been mentioned, but my big question is how different is the scholarship math and what impact will that have on recruiting/ roster construction? Those TCU teams that he was taking to the CWS were very talented and had some guys turn down very big MLB money (thinking Matt Purke and Luken Baker).

It's not that I wouldn't take him, it's just that I have others higher on my list.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Hopefully, the next coach can help us to be consistently competitive and finish 0.500 or better in SEC games in most years.
powerbelly
AG
O'Conner has had a longer streak of mediocre and bad seasons than Schloss has had. It seems his best days are behind him as well.
themissinglink
AG
We just had that guy. He was fine, but I'm hoping for someone that can get us to perennial national seed contender.
Aston04
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Aston04 said:

Cost of Attendance $78K
Family income of $140K - $160K Avg scholarship is $46K. Middle range is $37.2K - $51.4K. At the average that leaves $32K for the family.

They will do a lot more analysis to reach a final decision but this data is what the present. Vandy has an identical presentation and our real number was right in that range with with our income.
Ok- on average it costs 32k per year for a family in that range? Then it still cost almost 130k for 4 years. That's a lot of money.

Now if the cost is 32k over 4 years- that would be good.
LOYAL AG
AG
Aston04 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Aston04 said:

Cost of Attendance $78K

Ok- on average it costs 32k per year for a family in that range? Then it still cost almost 130k for 4 years. That's a lot of money.

Now if the cost is 32k over 4 years- that would be good.

that's per year which is roughly the annual cost of A&M for an in state student. Slightly more but in the ballpark. College is stupid expensive these days.
TAM85
Ok I am beginning to figurie this out-

#1 Tony Vitello- younger, SEC success, recruited well for Van Horn
#2 Link Jarrett- not concerned about the ND recruiting advantage. He recruited well at NC Greensboro and did great there. He turned ND around in a year. He will not be a momma's calling guy because Mike Martin, Jr. has that job.

#3- still working on it. Would say Tadlock, but think he is the least likely to get.

O'connor has not recruited a good class in 7 years.
GoodAg21
As someone who graduated last week, agreed
TxA&Mhunter
AG
You're smoking crack if you think that's a average hire....
GoodAg21
I don't see a win in Omaha with him.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Smh do You even hear ignorant that sounds?

He's been to Omaha more times than our entire program..... He has more wins in Omaha then we do as a University ever....

He is younger than an Rob Childress... He recoups the state of Texas and is a well-known elite coach... Who has been in contention for some of the top jobs in the country....

He's convince more kids to turn down draft money than you could shake a stick at...

Aggies2009
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Smh do You even hear ignorant that sounds?

He's been to Omaha more times than our entire program..... He has more wins in Omaha then we do as a University ever....

He is younger than an Rob Childress... He recoups the state of Texas and is a well-known elite coach... Who has been in contention for some of the top jobs in the country....

He's convince more kids to turn down draft money than you could shake a stick at...

Again, he'll have a tougher schedule and not as many advantages when it comes to scholarship limitations.

Not saying he can't do it here, but it's not an apples to apples comparison. A successful tcu coach isn't necessarily going to be successful at A&M.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
You realize that he has to be good teams in Omaha to have wins there right? how many times did he beat us to go?
This nonsense about his schedule is rubbish... He gets some scholarship help but at the end of the day acting like he's a bad hire is just flat out ignorant and shows that some people don't know jack about baseball.
TexasAGGIEinAR
Y'all get a damn room already.
GoodAg21
I'm not even going to argue schedule. I think his prime years are behind him.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Based on what??
GoodAg21
Aside from This season, what has he done since our encounters last decade? Tadlock is the far better hire.
GoodAg21
SchizoAg
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

You realize that he has to be good teams in Omaha to have wins there right? how many times did he beat us to go?
This nonsense about his schedule is rubbish... He gets some scholarship help but at the end of the day acting like he's a bad hire is just flat out ignorant and shows that some people don't know jack about baseball.
TCU beat us by razor-thin margins those two years, one of which they were the beneficiary of Eric Hyman being our AD while favoring TCU on the selection committee . Flip those outcomes, and Childress then has more CWS appearances than him. I liked our chances in Omaha both of those years.

There is way too much luck (especially due to the notoriously fickle and arbitrary selection committee) in college baseball to say Schlossnagle is clearly better than Childress.

(However, as I've said, I don't think we can get anyone clearly better than Childress. I expect our program to get worse.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.