New coach

147,167 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Some of y'all have the deepest, darkest maroon colored glasses I've ever seen. We are a good program. Our job is a good one. We are not great.

We all LOVE Aggie baseball. But that does not make it a great job/program. We are in desperate need of a culture change from top to bottom.
So if you offered the exact same money to any coach in the state of Texas and even the SEC, who would chose anyone over us?

The only two I can think of are Texas and maybe LSU.

And those are not maroon colored glasses talking.

Maybe I am not reading this correctly but if I was a successful coach and could go anywhere in Texas and or the SEC ??

Without maroon colored glasses I would choose about eight schools over us in the SEC and maybe Texas
I wouldn't choose tech but I am also not an alumni from there. And I would seriously consider Rice if I could recruit extremely well and not just coach
dermdoc
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Some of y'all have the deepest, darkest maroon colored glasses I've ever seen. We are a good program. Our job is a good one. We are not great.

We all LOVE Aggie baseball. But that does not make it a great job/program. We are in desperate need of a culture change from top to bottom.
So if you offered the exact same money to any coach in the state of Texas and even the SEC, who would chose anyone over us?

Maybe I am not reading this correctly but if I was a successful coach and could go anywhere in Texas and or the SEC ??

Without maroon colored glasses I would choose about eight schools over us in the SEC and maybe Texas
I wouldn't choose tech but I am also not an alumni from there. And I would seriously consider Rice if I could recruit extremely well and not just coach
So what eight schools have more potential than us?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Luke The Drifter
AG
dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Disagree. Other schools are fully committed to baseball. A&M is not. Baseball is not - currently - a high priority at A&M like it is other places. That's part of the culture change I'm advocating for.
Agree. But if we did put a high priority on it, where would you coach?

"If" is the key word.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
powerbelly
AG
dermdoc said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

I would argue we have more potential in baseball than any other sport.
AggieFrog
AG
powerbelly said:

dermdoc said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Agreed. But potential is meaningless without commitment. It's been decades since we've shown an inkling of that sort of commitment to baseball.
LB12Diamond
AG
This thread is cracking me up.

Did I see a post saying some school that the sight lines are bad in a couple places? Thus, we are a better coaching destination!

Ahh, cool, that should get us whatever coach we want.

powerbelly
AG
AggieFrog said:

powerbelly said:

dermdoc said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Agreed. But potential is meaningless without commitment. It's been decades since we've shown an inkling of that sort of commitment to baseball.
What kind of commitment do you want to show? What have we not provided RC that he asked for or needs?
Wicked Good Ag
dermdoc said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

That wasn't the question you asked.
Spyderman
AG
Jebber said:

This thread is cracking me up.

Did I see a post saying some school that the sight lines are bad in a couple places? Thus, we are a better coaching destination!

Ahh, cool, that should get us whatever coach we want.

Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
dermdoc
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

That wasn't the question you asked.
Fair enough. Say we offer the same amount as every other SEC school. You are an unbiased coach, which eight schools do you choose over us?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieFrog
AG
powerbelly said:

AggieFrog said:

powerbelly said:

dermdoc said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

What kind of commitment do you want to show? What have we not provided RC that he asked for or needs?

Facilities is the obvious. Love Olsen but we did a cheap renovation at exactly the wrong time (built for the Big 12 and not SEC ready). I've liked Childress overall (agree it's time, though) but how often do elite programs hire assistants with no ties to the program as first time head coaches?

We are and have been a really good, just not elite baseball program. Childress is a really good, just not elite head coach.
LB12Diamond
AG
I pick Vanderbilt bc it's in Nashville and the private school scholarship boost.

Childress focuses primarily on pitching bc it's what he knows. To win it all you need to be able to work in all 3 phases.
Wicked Good Ag
Arkansas
Vandy
LSU
Florida
Miss state
Ole miss

Georgia and SC would be on par IMO.

I wouldn't pick Missouri Kentucky Auburn Bama and Tennessee even though most of those programs are above us right now.
Serious Lee
georgia is the most comparable program to A&M i think. no reason they shouldnt be better than theyve been other than lack of commitment to the sport. their recruiting ground is just as good as ours and less in state competition.
Sandman98
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

georgia is the most comparable program to A&M i think. no reason they shouldnt be better than theyve been other than lack of commitment to the sport. their recruiting ground is just as good as ours and less in state competition.

Georgia has been to one more postseason in the entire history of their program than RC has all by himself (14/13). And yours isn't even the most naive post on this thread.
jkag89
Quote:

I've liked Childress overall (agree it's time, though) but how often do elite programs hire assistants with no ties to the program as first time head coaches?
Sully's only head coaching experience before being hired at Florida was in the Cape Cod League. He was an assistant at Clemson when hired by the Gators,
jkag89
Sandman98 said:

Walt Luddiger said:

Georgia has been to one more postseason in the entire history of their program than RC has all by himself (14/13). And yours isn't even the most naive post on this thread.
On the other hand, Georgia is the first SEC school to win a CWS (1990) as a member school of the league. Mizzou did win one back in the '50s.
Sq 17
Can we please move on from discussion about how "good" the job is and move back to who we might be getting to fill the all but certain vacancy TIA
My $.02 A&M could be one of the best jobs in the country but I don't think we could convince a coach to leave a good situation for team that is on pace to be the worst team in recent A&M history
I reiterate I Think we get O'Connor because he does not currently have it rolling at UVa.
old yeller
AG
Sq 17 said:

Can we please move on from discussion about how "good" the job is and move back to who we might be getting to fill the all but certain vacancy TIA
My $.02 A&M could be one of the best jobs in the country but I don't think we could convince a coach to leave a good situation for team that is on pace to be the worst team in recent A&M history
I reiterate I Think we get O'Connor because he does not currently have it rolling at UVa.

No candidate for the job is going to give a rat's ass about being "the worst team in recent A&M history." That's just silly.
TAMU1990
AG
My choice is Tadlock, then Vitello. The Tennessee coach is young and we need a coach who is more offensive minded. His starters were from all over the place - only 1 was from Tennessee. Yes, I know if you are any good in Tennessee you were most likely going to other schools, but he obviously worked hard to assemble that lineup.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

This will have little to no impact on the hiring of a new coach. What new coach expects to have a great roster when they take over? There's a reason for a change. I don't think this scares off anybody.

My best guess with absolutely no insider information is that we go after Tadlock, then Schlossnagle and then to Vitello, the UVA guy and the like.
dermdoc
AG
Sq 17 said:

Can we please lose the battered Aggie syndrome attitude?

My goodness.
Aggies1322
AG
A job is as good as the $. If our AD is committed, he can make us the best job in the country.
Wicked Good Ag
I personally don't think you are getting one of the top ten coaches to leave their current program unless you break the bank. And it might be necessary. Ross will be putting on his first major hire and this hire may show what the athletic department will be going towards in the future. We have shown clearly in the last few hires we will unload the Brinks truck for a name coach. I hope we do get one. I just don't see the top level people leaving their programs
Because of that it will be interesting to see the type of coach we go after.
We are in a premier conference with ESTABLISHED coaches. We want to be one of those programs and we have been in the past.
hogfan14
dermdoc said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

We need to realize that eh?? Smh you understand people said the same thing about football correct?
I can't understand how people don't get the fact that we are geographically better off than most of the team you listed. Then they continue to downplay that as a major draw to coaches.

Does anyone on here think that coaches like Tadlock and Schloss would be even considering Ole Miss, Miss State, Arky, Etc.?
Maybe I'm wrong but Texas Tech and TCU for the most part don't have near the commitment to baseball or financial backing/facilities that most SEC programs do. It's just on another level. Heck, the top 5 in attendance every year is usually 3-4 SEC teams at the top. Regardless of location it has to be easier to recruit to a place with brand new $30 million pitching facilities or close to 15,000 fans at games.
drthoop
AG
Reading through this thread is interesting. Good to see that Battered Aggie Syndrome is alive and well.

We are one of the premier coaching spots in the nation and have had a lot more interest than you can know

While Olsen is not elite, it also isn't the dump some of you make it out to be.

And Rob will not be back.

There, I've put my $0.02 in the ring and and I have no doubt someone will be along in a few minutes to tell me how stupid I am.

We shall see.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
dermdoc
AG
hogfan14 said:

dermdoc said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

We need to realize that eh?? Smh you understand people said the same thing about football correct?
I can't understand how people don't get the fact that we are geographically better off than most of the team you listed. Then they continue to downplay that as a major draw to coaches.

Does anyone on here think that coaches like Tadlock and Schloss would be even considering Ole Miss, Miss State, Arky, Etc.?
Maybe I'm wrong but Texas Tech and TCU for the most part don't have near the commitment to baseball or financial backing/facilities that most SEC programs do. It's just on another level. Heck, the top 5 in attendance every year is usually 3-4 SEC teams at the top. Regardless of location it has to be easier to recruit to a place with brand new $30 million pitching facilities or close to 15,000 fans at games.
How can anyone think that a job in Lubbock Texas is better than any SEC job? Sure they are winning but that does not make it a better job.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Honestly facilities in attendance is nice. But The biggest draw for coaches to move is the proximity to the talent pool..

Not only is that a convenience for recruiting it's a convenience for the coach's home life and cuts down on the travel in the amount of time that he spends away from his family....

Imagine how much they have to travel to see kids play and then put that with being five to 7 hours away from any major metroplex in the case of Tadlock? It's hard to measure or imagine the impact it has on your family life.

Wicked Good Ag
drthoop said:

Reading through this thread is interesting. Good to see that Battered Aggie Syndrome is alive and well.

We are one of the premier coaching spots in the nation and have had a lot more interest than you can know

There, I've put my $0.02 in the ring and and I have no doubt someone will be along in a few minutes to tell me how stupid I am.

We shall see.

I don't recall anyone saying that Olsen is a dump. In any thread ever.

Are there ones on par or better yes but Olsen is no dump
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

and have had a lot more interest than you can know
Do tell!
drthoop
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

drthoop said:

We shall see.

I don't recall anyone saying that Olsen is a dump. In any thread ever.

Are there ones on par or better yes but Olsen is no dump
The way some people are talking is that we will have to settle for a lesser coach because our facilities suck.
That's the way I read it.

85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Because of that it will be interesting to see the type of coach we go after.
I have no doubt that we'll go after the very best. I have full confidence in that. To me the response we get from the top guys will be what's interesting. I know its not my money but if we need to back the Brinks truck up - then do it. We've floundered around long enough. Get the best to be the best.
drthoop
AG
85AustinAg said:

Quote:

and have had a lot more interest than you can know
Do tell!

Sorry, I can't go there.
dermdoc
AG
hogfan14 said:

dermdoc said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

Correct.
AggieFrog
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.