New coach

147,220 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
SchizoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be sad to see Childress go. If he wants to keep coaching, there are plenty of places that would love to have him, either as a head coach or a pitching coach.

(It is not necessary for you to ridicule me for this opinion, I know I am in the minority.)
Captain Pablo
AG
And here we go
SwimboJimbo
AG
Any chance Andy Cannizaro gets another shot? Last I saw he was coaching hs in New Orleans. Not that he should be a candidate for A&M.
Captain Pablo
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

I don't agree that this is a good move. One bad season does not a bad coach make.

"Not bad" shouldn't be our standard
LOYAL AG
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

I don't agree that this is a good move. One bad season does not a bad coach make.

You can't be serious. His contract was allowed to expire. That's not one bad season. Had we not lucked into a 4-seed opponent in a home super regional in 2017 I'm guessing he'd have been let go after 2019. The talent level has fallen consistently since 2016.

Since 2016 we've gone

3-seed
3-seed
3-seed
Covid
No regional

This is an easy decision.
GoodAg21
I can understand us being bad at basketball we really don't care about it, baseball is a sport we need to be elite it and consistently make runs.
W
AG
Childress finishes with a 119-117-1 record in regular season SEC games
W
AG
SchizoAg said:

I will be sad to see Childress go. If he wants to keep coaching, there are plenty of places that would love to have him, either as a head coach or a pitching coach.

(It is not necessary for you to ridicule me for this opinion, I know I am in the minority.)
both Rice and UH should give him serious consideration. And he should be interested in those jobs
LOYAL AG
AG
W said:

SchizoAg said:

both Rice and UH should give him serious consideration. And he should be interested in those jobs

It would be ironic to see him land in a job where the recruiting budget would basically force him to recruit Houston.
Tex100
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

"Not bad" shouldn't be our standard
these people have to be trolling.
Captain Pablo
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

You can't be serious. His contract was allowed to expire. That's not one bad season. Had we not lucked into a 4-seed opponent in a home super regional in 2017 I'm guessing he'd have been let go after 2019. The talent level has fallen consistently since 2016.

Since 2016 we've gone

3-seed
3-seed
3-seed
Covid
No regional

This is an easy decision.

Ouch
85AustinAg
AG
J-Bob? https://texastech.com/sports/baseball/roster/coaches/j-bob-thomas/3629

dcaggie04
AG
LOYAL AG said:

W said:

SchizoAg said:

It would be ironic to see him land in a job where the recruiting budget would basically force him to recruit Houston.

Except that both teams have more out of state players than we do.
W
AG
more numbers...

Childress was 7-5 vs. Vanderbilt/Corbin in the regular season. Only 3-9 Florida/Sullivan.

6-9 vs. South Carolina.
10-5 vs. Georgia.
10-4-1 vs. Missouri.
6-5 vs. Kentucky.
9-6 vs. Tennessee.

12-12 vs. LSU/Mainieri. 11-13 vs. State.

13-10 vs. Alabama
13-11 vs. Auburn

9-15 vs. Arkansas/Van Horn
10-13 vs. Ole Miss/Bianco

_mpaul
AG
W said:

more numbers...

Childress was 7-5 vs. Vanderbilt/Corbin in the regular season. Only 3-9 Florida/Sullivan.

6-9 vs. South Carolina.
10-5 vs. Georgia.
10-4-1 vs. Missouri.
6-5 vs. Kentucky.
9-6 vs. Tennessee.

12-12 vs. LSU/Mainieri. 11-13 vs. State.

13-10 vs. Alabama
13-11 vs. Auburn

9-15 vs. Arkansas/Van Horn
10-13 vs. Ole Miss/Bianco

Better than I would have expected against the traditionally good teams. (Except Arkansas. We've been their *****.) Worse than I would have expected against the traditionally not good teams.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
Captain Pablo
AG
How many regionals did we host since joining the SEC?

Two? '15 and '16?

2012 - 4 seed (Big XII, no less)
2013 - 2 seed
2014 - 3 seed

2017 - 3 seed
2018 - 3 seed
2019 - 3-seed
2020 - Covid Season
2021 - No Regional, No SEC Tournament

Geez. Yeah, I'd say it's past time
_mpaul
AG
Basically, to do something special, Childress had to have an outstanding starting 3 pitchers. If he didn't have that, or maybe 2 really strong starters and a strong closer, we were mediocre.
Charlie 31
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Childress

I am still waiting for this to be updated...
titanten85
Actually since his contract is up, he is technically not fired. Just chose not to renew his contract. This has been in the making for a couple of years. Contracts usually get extended because the old adage that a coach can't recruit if he doesn't have several years left on his contract so his recruits have some assurance that the coach will be with the program for the duration of their scholarship. I have always thought this was a bunch of crap and just causes you to have a large buyout if you do decide to fire the coach before the contract runs out.
W
AG
the records vs. Alabama and Auburn are somewhat disappointing too.

the Tide have only been a regional team in 2 of the 8 years since A&M joined the SEC.

Auburn has been a regional team in 4 of the 8 years.

1 or 2 additional wins vs. those teams in the right year could have improved A&M's postseason seed

_mpaul
AG
W said:

the records vs. Alabama and Auburn are somewhat disappointing too.

the Tide have only been a regional team in 2 of the 8 years since A&M joined the SEC.

Auburn has been a regional team in 4 of the 8 years.

1 or 2 additional wins vs. those teams in the right year could have improved A&M's postseason seed

Yes, that caught my eye and was part of my thought. I expected we would have won at least 2 out of every 3 games against those two teams.
Sandman98
AG
duddleysdraw88 said:

He needs to be GONE after the last out today!

Over a month ago, an everyday starter replied to the question "How's it going?"...... first words out of his mouth.... "I'm done with baseball"

There's more but I'll stop there!

txag72
AG
Maybe he feels like his tenure there saw the end of a coaches career at A&M? Pretty emotional to think about. As far as the Tech assistant, getting HC and his recruiter?
duddleysdraw88
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

duddleysdraw88 said:

He needs to be GONE after the last out today!

Over a month ago, an everyday starter replied to the question "How's it going?"...... first words out of his mouth.... "I'm done with baseball"

There's more but I'll stop there!

Hate to break it to you, but most of the TCU players cannot stand Schlossnagle. Same with DBU players not liking Heefner. Most of the Texas players don't care for Price. And yes, I have first-hand accounts to back up these statements.

I'm not defending Childress...just letting you know most college baseball players don't care for their head coach. Most college players have grown up being coddled by helicopter parents who forked over tons of money to get their kid on some "elite" travel baseball team. They've gone to the most expensive camps, been provided with top tier personal hitting/pitching coaches, and they've often been surrounded by high level talent. Then, when they get to college, have to work hard, don't get the playing time they think they deserve, can't pick and choose their teammates, don't win every game, and don't have momma and daddy there to fight their battles for them, a lot of them are suddenly "done" with baseball. It happens to hundreds of kids in every program every season.

Nice try! Where in my post did you read that the player "cannot stand" anyone?

I'm done with my comments...... but just know it is more of a universal program issue!
txag72
AG
Quote:

My perspective on "done with baseball". I had a baseball coach in HS who played his football players, period. I stuck it out, never missed a practice, for 3 years til he left before my senior year. There's no way I was going to say "I'm done with baseball" although I never saw the field until I was a senior under that coach. We "somehow" managed to go to Regionals my senior year when only one school/district made the play-offs, go figure ex-coach. If I would have the option, I would have left for another program of course. So, I do not understand any such comment.
Tex100
AG
W said:

SchizoAg said:

Lance Berkman is setting himself up to be the next Rice as an assistant at St. Thomas in Houston, imo.
LOYAL AG
AG
titanten85 said:

Actually since his contract is up, he is technically not fired. Just chose not to renew his contract. This has been in the making for a couple of years. Contracts usually get extended because the old adage that a coach can't recruit if he doesn't have several years left on his contract so his recruits have some assurance that the coach will be with the program for the duration of their scholarship. I have always thought this was a bunch of crap and just causes you to have a large buyout if you do decide to fire the coach before the contract runs out.

Well hopefully you can look at the talent level on this team and see that it's not crap. There's more to recruiting than just coaching stability but it's certainly a factor that's either in your favor or in the favor of the other guy who is telling kids it's obvious you aren't being renewed and asking if they really want to sign with a school where they don't know their coach will be.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Hunter was a student of our youngest daughter. She said that in her teaching career in the G&T program in high school (Midland Lee) she had never had a finer, more intelligent young man as Hunter. She also said she never had more caring and committed parents than his. So proud that he and Ty are AGGIES.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
LOYAL AG
AG
_mpaul said:

Basically, to do something special, Childress had to have an outstanding starting 3 pitchers. If he didn't have that, or maybe 2 really strong starters and a strong closer, we were mediocre.

You make it sound like that's unusual. The difference between CWS and regional host is depth of quality pitching. Pretty sure that's a universal truth in baseball.
_mpaul
AG
LOYAL AG said:

_mpaul said:

You make it sound like that's unusual. The difference between CWS and regional host is depth of quality pitching. Pretty sure that's a universal truth in baseball.
I disagree. CWS teams are usually good to great in all three, or at least two of the three, of pitching, hitting, and fielding. In the Childress years where the pitching hasn't been there, we've never had the hitting to make up for it. Generally, we have been no better than an average fielding team.
aggiewilliford
Mark Fairchild said:

Hunter was a student of our youngest daughter. She said that in her teaching career in the G&T program in high school (Midland Lee) she had never had a finer, more intelligent young man as Hunter. She also said she never had more caring and committed parents than his. So proud that he and Ty are AGGIES.

Yep. I was blessed to have been Hunter's teacher in HS. He is one of the best young men you could meet and will forever be an asset as an Aggie. Really loved this kid. Is there dust in anyone elses's house, I've got some moisture in my eyes, so it's gotta be dust....
cheeky
AG
I'm wondering if this squad set a regular season record for errors? We were less than good in every phase of the game with hitting and bull pen most obvious, but I haven't seen much discussion on how terrible our defense was this year.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Not sure we can stash enough cocaine for that guy...
Serious Lee
Wall Streeter said:

I'm wondering if this squad set a regular season record for errors? We were less than good in every phase of the game with hitting and bull pen most obvious, but I haven't seen much discussion on how terrible our defense was this year.
im sure 2015 was worse. seems we had alot more hit batters from our pitchers this year though
Mister Mystery Guest
You couldn't pay me $800,000/year to miss years and years and years of my son's ballgames. It may be time for a change but let's respect some good men and their families' for their sacrifices and for doing a good job over a long period of time. There are more Ags in MLB games now when I turn the TV on than ever before. If a change is made now, the incoming staff is inheriting a good, clean program with a good foundation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.