New coach

147,228 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was there some reason Brian O'Connor was removed as a potential prospect? Just asking for a friend.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Lance Uppercut
AG
Quote:

The second question I would ask is who hired Sarloos? And what makes you think he couldn't hire someone similar?

I don't know how many ex-big leaguers with Saarloos' record of success he knows.They aren't a dime a dozen.

I would also prefer Tadlock over Schlossnagle if we somehow managed to get a Big 12 coach.

I also, as mentioned, place a premium on SEC experience. There's going to be the path of trying to get an experienced Texas-connections coach. But the programs that A&M most wants to emulate that are the top programs in the country that make legitimate shots at winning the whole title are in the SEC....Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Miss. St., Florida. Someone with connections to what those programs are doing seems like a good target to me. That's what I'm also interested in Vitello. Tennessee's program spent a long time in irrelevance before his arrival and that's a quick turnaround to being a Top 5 team while playing the best teams in the country. He also coached at TCU for Schlossnagle and then was the recruiting coordinator for Arkansas
Missouri from 2005-2009
TCU from 2011-2013
Arkansas from 2014-2017
That's a lot of good baseball teams. Also younger and not making anywhere close to the salary Schlossnagle and Tadlock bring in.But then you run the risk that his current success isn't something he would end up sustaining.

Spyderman
AG
EVERY coach in America will take notice of the opening. Some more than others obviously. I still think this is THE plum opening.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Sq 17
Mark Fairchild said:

Was there some reason Brian O'Connor was removed as a potential prospect? Just asking for a friend.

Most of the conjecture is on Tadlock, Schloss, and Vitello,I think we end up with O'Connor because UVa decides not to get in bidding war
twk
AG
Sq 17 said:

Mark Fairchild said:

Most of the conjecture is on Tadlock, Schloss, and Vitello,I think we end up with O'Connor because UVa decides not to get in bidding war

There is a reason no one is talking about O'Connor--it's because his program looks to be in decline, and he has no experience in this part of the country (not absolutely essential, but certainly a plus factor).
Spyderman
AG
I would think Dan McDonnell would be more likely than OConner.

Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
85AustinAg
AG
I think McDonnell is too entrenched at UL, makes too much money, and a move to Texas from his recruiting base / familiarity is just not there. Just my opinion, but I doubt he's interested.

Tadlock makes much more sense to me.
GoodAg21
Tadlock or Vitello.
Rongagin71
AG
Any chance someone from MLB would be a good fish to land?
MaroonMack
Spyderman said:

EVERY coach in America will take notice of the opening. Some more than others obviously. I still think this is THE plum opening.
Most coaches would take notice, but whether this is THE big opening depends on whether the LSU job comes open. Sure, I'd rather live in BCS than Red Stick, but they do have a strong baseball pedigree. Their fans seem to hope Mainieri retires, and he definitely doesn't seem as engaged with the team as he has been in past years.

Spyderman
AG
Geographically, we sit in a more favorable spot just due to number of prospects. Add in the troubles at LSU and I believe we are more of a plum IMO. We could find out shortly I suppose.

The greater good?
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Not likely there are just too many nuances to running a college program - primarily recruiting players and an MLB manager would have no idea how to recruit.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Thanks in regard to the discussion on O'Connor. Personally, I am in the Tadlock camp.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Sq 17
twk said:

Sq 17 said:

Mark Fairchild said:

There is a reason no one is talking about O'Connor--it's because his program looks to be in decline, and he has no experience in this part of the country (not absolutely essential, but certainly a plus factor).

UVa program is in decline But The Same thing could be said for the FSU football program , I would prefer Tadlock & Vitello . Tadlock & Vitello will be getting large raises next year not sure the Ags can money whip guys who are in a very good situation.
85AustinAg
AG
It's not all about money but that's certainly part of it. We sit in close proximity to very fertile recruiting grounds, the job is better, our program is down right now but they don't care that's why they are being offered a job. We will spend more money and be a more prestigious and recruitable destination for a coach than their staying at either Tech or UT. If Tadlock is open to making a move and we're willing to pay the man I think we can get him. Nobody worth their salt stays in Lubbock forever.
BohunkAg
AG
Rongagin71 said:

Mike Sherman
Spyderman
AG
85AustinAg said:

It's not all about money but that's certainly part of it. We sit in close proximity to very fertile recruiting grounds, the job is better, our program is down right now but they don't care that's why they are being offered a job. We will spend more money and be a more prestigious and recruitable destination for a coach than their staying at either Tech or UT. If Tadlock is open to making a move and we're willing to pay the man I think we can get him. Nobody worth their salt stays in Lubbock forever.
amen

The greater good?
ftworthag02
AG
twk
AG
Rongagin71 said:

The biggest challenge in college baseball coaching is how you allocate your scholarships. Someone from MLB would have a very steep learning curve on that subject.
User1219
Tadlock has one of the top recruiters in the country. J-Bob Thomas was named 2017 Assistant Coach of the Year. People come to play for him. He was at Howard JC in Big Spring and won the JUCO National Championship there in 09'. Record 63-1. Tim was the best recruiter in the country and everything I've read says he hired a guy who became the next best recruiter in the country. If we could land them or Vitello I would be happy. Guys come from all over to play for those guys.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

by: Red Raider Nation Staff
Posted: Jul 19, 2019 / 09:07 PM CDT / Updated: Jul 19, 2019 / 10:49 PM CDT

Texas Tech Baseball received some positive news when J-Bob Thomas decided to remain on the Red Raider Baseball coaching staff.Thomas turned down an offer to join in-state foe Texas A&M.

Interesting. I do not remember this. You know if the HC search doesn't go well and we are pondering assistants I'd sure talk to this guy. Very risky I know but you get the right players and you've got a chance.
BQ_90
AG
User1219 said:

Tadlock has one of the top recruiters in the country. J-Bob Thomas was named 2017 Assistant Coach of the Year. People come to play for him. He was at Howard JC in Big Spring and won the JUCO National Championship there in 09'. Record 63-1. Tim was the best recruiter in the country and everything I've read says he hired a guy who became the next best recruiter in the country. If we could land them or Vitello I would be happy. Guys come from all over to play for those guys.
Yea no ****, coaching matters. But out fanbase thinks it's magic scholarship rules and cheating that's we're not doing that's holding us back
TellMeMore
Not seeing much said about the Athletic Department crisis at Tennessee. Bet a good coach would be glad to get out of the toxic environment in Knoxville. Tony is a hot prospect, and getting away from their would elevate his career.
Goro Majima
AG
TellMeMore said:

Not seeing much said about the Athletic Department crisis at Tennessee. Bet a good coach would be glad to get out of the toxic environment in Knoxville. Tony is a hot prospect, and getting away from their would elevate his career.
I think he makes $460,000 per year. A&M could easily double that or come close. We'd have to literally make him say no.
cevans_40
AG
85AustinAg said:

Quote:

by: Red Raider Nation Staff
Posted: Jul 19, 2019 / 09:07 PM CDT / Updated: Jul 19, 2019 / 10:49 PM CDT

Texas Tech Baseball received some positive news when J-Bob Thomas decided to remain on the Red Raider Baseball coaching staff.Thomas turned down an offer to join in-state foe Texas A&M.

Interesting. I do not remember this. You know if the HC search doesn't go well and we are pondering assistants I'd sure talk to this guy. Very risky I know but you get the right players and you've got a chance.

Hiring Thomas would not be a risk in my opinion
85AustinAg
AG
cevans_40 - OK you've piqued my interest, what do you know about Thomas that makes you think he'd be a good HC hire? I'm not opposed to the idea, I think a proven HC is a better alternative but if we start looking at Assistants and this guy is a lights out recruiter - then he should be interviewed in the least.
cevans_40
AG
85AustinAg said:

cevans_40 - OK you've piqued my interest, what do you know about Thomas that makes you think he'd be a good HC hire? I'm not opposed to the idea, I think a proven HC is a better alternative but if we start looking at Assistants and this guy is a lights out recruiter - then he should be interviewed in the least.

I played in the same conference as Howard and had buddies end up at Howard. Winning in JuCo ain't easy and the guys that do, can coach and recruit. The guy knows his stuff and can obviously recruit. Plus, I love catchers as coaches.
PhatMack19
AG

Some of the Twitter comments are pretty interesting

https://atozsportsnashville.com/arkansas-head-coach-dave-van-horn-tony-vitello/?fbclid=IwAR0rQ8x5VU1NeT2QWrlH6M602v0BLZbjjNQcHUs2vsxAeWd2mow7Z7539b8
ensign_beedrill
AG
I have absolutely no insights or opinions...

But can you imagine having a football coach named Jimbo and a baseball coach named J-Bob? Amazing.
Luke The Drifter
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

But can you imagine having a football coach named Jimbo and a baseball coach named J-Bob? Amazing.

And a basketball coach named Buzz...

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Luke The Drifter
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

ensign_beedrill said:

And a soccer coach named G.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Luke The Drifter
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Luke The Drifter said:

ensign_beedrill said:

And a soccer coach named G.

And a volleyball coach named Bird...
Faustus
85AustinAg said:

Schlossnagle - .673 winning percentage, 770-374.

NCAA Regionals every year since 2002 (first year as UNLV Head Coach) except for 2002 (UNLV), 2013, and 2018 (TCU).

CWS in 2010, 2014. 2015, 2016, 2017 (All at TCU). 5 CWS appearances in 18 years of Head Coaching.
By my rough count it appears he's won more games than he's lost (11-10) at the CWS during those five appearances (the only times TCU has ever been to the CWS).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCU_Horned_Frogs_baseball
85AustinAg
AG
I guess one of the big questions about Schlossnagle is why hasn't he been able to get back to Omaha since 2017 - which is a long drought based upon his history. Maybe he gets his mojo back, maybe he doesn't. I suppose that's the risk.
Sandman98
AG
That shouldn't be your concern considering that's only two years of missing Omaha (18/19). They didn't have a CWS last year.

My biggest concern for our next coach is expectations like this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.