New coach

146,970 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

dermdoc said:

I think some of y'all are really underestimating how good the A&M job is.

I think you're over-estimating it. We are NOT a national power. Not even close. We're a consistent regional program with ZERO national success. Whoever comes here will have a daunting task of taking us from a good...but certainly not great...program to a nationally recognized player. It won't be easy, considering our biggest accomplishments as a program are SWC and Big 12 tourney titles.

Completely disagree. Our program's worth is not based on what has happened. It is based on what could happen.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wicked Good Ag
Derm. Been to a lot of them. I just don't put Maroon colored glasses on and can look objectively at it.

Arkansas, Florida LSU both Mississippi schools are all better. I would also say a couple of others are on par with ours. And that is just the SEC
Sq 17
I think it is time for everybody to call their shot

I say it is going to be O'Connor UVA does not want to get in a bidding war and they let him walk
Jimbo fisher style hire won it all a few years ago and is a very good coach with very average talent in need of a change of scenery
dermdoc
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Derm. Been to a lot of them. I just don't put Maroon colored glasses on and can look objectively at it.

Arkansas, Florida LSU both Mississippi schools are all better. I would also say a couple of others are on par with ours. And that is just the SEC
Disagree. And I will have to admit I have not been to the brand new Florida Field. The old one was horrible.

And where did you sit at Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss State?

Again I will admit I sat with the players parents but the only one worth a crap was Ole Miss. and we were at Arky a couple of weeks ago. If you are down the lines you have to lean forward to see anything.

And LSU which is like 75% aluminum bleachers? Sorry but no thanks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
dermdoc
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

May I ask when you were at Miss State? And Florida? If it wasn't this year we should have seen each other.
Luke The Drifter
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

How do you figure it will be a daunting task with the way the transfer portal currently works?

If it's not daunting, then why aren't more programs doing it? Yea, the opportunity is there, but will we hire someone who can pull it off? The first thing we have to realize is that we ARE NOT Arkansas. Or Mississippi State. Or Florida. Or South Carolina. Or LSU. Or Vanderbilt. Hell...we're not even Texas Tech or TCU.

We have a long, long way to go to get to where we need to be. The right guy can do it...but will we hire the right guy?
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
dermdoc
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

How do you figure it will be a daunting task with the way the transfer portal currently works?

If it's not daunting, then why aren't more programs doing it? Yea, the opportunity is there, but will we hire someone who can pull it off? The first thing we have to realize is that we ARE NOT Arkansas. Or Mississippi State. Or Florida. Or South Carolina. Or LSU. Or Vanderbilt. Hell...we're not even Texas Tech or TCU.

We have a long, long way to go to get to where we need to be. The right guy can do it...but will we hire the right guy?
You are correct. And the only job on your list which might be more desirable is LSU. Maybe Florida. Coaches do not look at it like we do.
powerbelly
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

I don't see them pulling the trigger on Rob this year. I think Bjork will give him at least one more season to get it together. Peopke were calling for Jo Evans' head too, and she's still here.

His contract is up and he isn't getting an extension.
RafterAg223
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

TCU was literally the overall losingest d1 baseball program in America when they hired Jim Schlossnagle. The right coach at Texas A&M will have us in the Omaha picture 60% of the time pretty quickly. I've been following this program since the 80's. Mark Johnson routinely had his teams inside the top 10-15 over the course of his career. Prior to the super format, he had several teams that were within a game of Omaha. The fact is that we most definitely were an elite program for most of his tenure in Aggieland, and we will be again with the right leadership.
old yeller
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

I don't see them pulling the trigger on Rob this year. I think Bjork will give him at least one more season to get it together. Peopke were calling for Jo Evans' head too, and she's still here.

Classic!
Luke The Drifter
AG
Look...I'm not saying it can't be done. What I am saying is that we're not right on the cusp or just about to break through. There's a lot of work to be done, and we are miles behind at least half of the teams in the SEC. Lots of work to do ahead.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
powerbelly
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Look...I'm not saying it can't be done. What I am saying is that we're not right in the cusp or just about to break through. There's a lot of work to be done, and we are miles behind at least half of the teams in the SEC. Lots of work to do ahead.

Disagree. Rob had us right at the cusp of where we want to be and it wasnt that long ago.
Luke The Drifter
AG
powerbelly said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Look...I'm not saying it can't be done. What I am saying is that we're not right in the cusp or just about to break through. There's a lot of work to be done, and we are miles behind at least half of the teams in the SEC. Lots of work to do ahead.

Disagree. Rob had us right at the cusp of where we want to be and it wasnt that long ago.

If we're right on the cusp, why are we looking for a new coach? Zero wins in Omaha in 2 decades is not elite and not on the cusp.
dermdoc
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Agree. But I disagree completely about how posters perceive the attractiveness of the A&M job. There is no way that Tech, TCU, Miss state, Ole Miss, or Arkansas are better jobs than A&M.

Are they winning more games than us right now? Sure.

That is not what coaches look at.
powerbelly
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

powerbelly said:

Luke The Drifter said:

If we're right on the cusp, why are we looking for a new coach? Zero wins in Omaha in 2 decades is not elite and not on the cusp.
This is why. He could not get up over the cusp. Very clearly.

powerbelly
AG
dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Agree. But I disagree completely about how posters perceive the attractiveness of the A&M job. There is no way that Tech, TCU, Miss state, Ole Miss, or Arkansas are better jobs than A&M.

Are they winning more games than us right now? Sure.

That is not what coaches look at.
Better programs =/= better jobs.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
We need to realize that eh?? Smh you understand people said the same thing about football correct?
I can't understand how people don't get the fact that we are geographically better off than most of the team you listed. Then they continue to downplay that as a major draw to coaches.
RafterAg223
AG
powerbelly said:

Luke The Drifter said:

This is true. One could argue that we were the best team in the country in 2015 and 2016. In my opinion, those teams got tight at the wrong moments at the end and didn't punch through. Unfortunately, getting tight at the wrong time has been a recurring theme under Childress when you look at the entire body of work. It wont take very long once the trigger gets pulled.
AggieFrog
AG
What does being in the Omaha picture mean? Being in a Super Regional? Actually in Omaha?
powerbelly
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

We need to realize that eh?? Smh you understand people said the same thing about football correct?
I can't understand how people don't get the fact that we are geographically better off than most of the team you listed. Then they continue to downplay that as a major draw to coaches.

We also have world-class hecklers.
RafterAg223
AG
AggieFrog said:

What does being in the Omaha picture mean? Being in a Super Regional? Actually in Omaha?
playing super regional baseball at Olsen field on a routine basis. Let the chips fall where they may from there.
Wicked Good Ag
dermdoc said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

May I ask when you were at Miss State? And Florida? If it wasn't this year we should have seen each other.

I went during a spring break trip when they played Jacksonville for a game this year since I had heard the renovation was complete. I have been to the mIssissippi schools before this year. Also been to SC VANDY and Georgia. All of which are on par with us with some things better some things worse. Just my opinion. But I also love to see minor league and college baseball. Aggies first and foremost but others if in area
dermdoc
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Exactly. There were a,lot of teams with more success than us yet Jimbo chose us.

The battered Aggie syndrome is very real.

Does anyone on here think that coaches like Tadlock and Schloss would be even considering Ole Miss, Miss State, Arky, Etc.?

Like I said probably LSU and maybe Florida.
AggieFrog
AG
RafterAg223 said:

AggieFrog said:

playing super regional baseball at Olsen field on a routine basis. Let the chips fall where they may from there.

In other words a top 8 national seed 60% of the time. That's a big ask and definitely an aspirational goal. Only a truly home run hire gets us close to that.
AggieFrog
AG
dermdoc said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

Exactly. There were a,lot of teams with more success than us yet Jimbo chose us.

The battered Aggie syndrome is very real.

Does anyone on here think that coaches like Tadlock and Schloss would be even considering Ole Miss, Miss State, Arky, Etc.?

Like I said probably LSU and maybe Florida.

Schloss was pretty close to taking the Mississippi State job in 2018.
dermdoc
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

I went during a spring break trip when they played Jacksonville for a game this year since I had heard the renovation was complete. I have been to the mIssissippi schools before this year. Also been to SC VANDY and Georgia. All of which are on par with us with some things better some things worse. Just my opinion. But I also love to see minor league and college baseball. Aggies first and foremost but others if in area
So you think Vandy is on par with Blue Bell? When you have to walk to the fb stadium to pee? And except for may be about 1000 seats is all metal bleachers?

SC and Georgia are nice venues.
Wicked Good Ag
I said certain aspects are and other are not.

The fact remains we are middle of the pack in SEC in terms of facilities. We are a public school without private school scholarship allocation advantages
We have a coach who couldn't get the level of pitching to come to TAMU because he was on a short leash.

I am not saying that we don't have advantages we do but when you have a head coach as pitching coach maybe a little more of the scholarship allocation could go to the hitting side (I have no knowledge of the exact amount but I know more scholarships usually go to pitching). Seems like you could have even one full scholarship pushed to offensive side if you are a magician as a pitching coach.

Luke The Drifter
AG
Some of y'all have the deepest, darkest maroon colored glasses I've ever seen. We are a good program. Our job is a good one. We are not great.

We all LOVE Aggie baseball. But that does not make it a great job/program. We are in desperate need of a culture change from top to bottom.
Spyderman
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Some of y'all have the deepest, darkest maroon colored glasses I've ever seen. We are a good program. Our job is a good one. We are not great.

We all LOVE Aggie baseball. But that does not make it a great job/program. We are in desperate need of a culture change from top to bottom.
Soon..
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Mark Fairchild
AG
Very soon!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
dermdoc
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

So if you offered the exact same money to any coach in the state of Texas and even the SEC, who would chose anyone over us?

The only two I can think of are Texas and maybe LSU.

And those are not maroon colored glasses talking.
Luke The Drifter
AG
dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

So if you offered the exact same money to any coach in the state of Texas and even the SEC, who would chose anyone over us?

Disagree. Other schools are fully committed to baseball. A&M is not. Baseball is not - currently - a high priority at A&M like it is other places. That's part of the culture change I'm advocating for.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Honestly this isn't home team glasses. I've got friends plugged in to baseball on the dfw metroplex coaches of hs /private pitching and hitting coaches.
The hitting coaches have all admitted they will guide kids away from Tamu because of the lack of continued development of hitters. The simply ask for data showing kids get better hitting the ball when they come here..
The pitching coach I know would guide kids cautiously and slowly to Tamu because of how kids are used and prioritized...

dermdoc
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

dermdoc said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Disagree. Other schools are fully committed to baseball. A&M is not. Baseball is not - currently - a high priority at A&M like it is other places. That's part of the culture change I'm advocating for.
Agree. But if we did put a high priority on it, where would you coach?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.