New coach

147,221 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
Gomer95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love following all these threads on potential coaches but man it drives me bonkers that we'll have to wait probably 2-3 weeks until whoever we get is done playing. My nerves will be shot haha.
LOYAL AG
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

The ND coach has only been there for like 2 years and was previously successful at UNC Greensboro. And I think if there was something particularly special about ND's scholarship situation, they wouldn't have wallowed in mediocrity for the 15 years since Paul Manieri left.

Arizona State and LSU both hired successful Notre Dame coaches and it was among the best things either program has ever done. Although yes, its been awhile since both of those hires.
Notre Dame has the exact same financial situation as Vanderbilt. It still takes the right coach to make it work but those schools are different. I don't know when ND went to this financial model so I can't comment on those other coaches I just know that their current coach has a financial advantage compared to us. LSU does as well so Manierri succeeding there isn't as significant as it looks. Maybe two years isn't sufficient to milk that advantage and yes his time at Greensboro is good. It's possible the ND financial advantage is somewhat offset offset by geography, I can't answer that either. I just know we can look at Vanderbilt under Corbin and simultaneously acknowledge that he's a hell of a coach who is probably recruiting with the equivalent of 20-25 scholarships. Likewise anyone at ND has that same opportunity and given that you have to question how effective he would be at a school playing with much closer to the 11.7 that is actually allowed.

My point is that in a sport with a significant variance in scholarship situations from school to school my preference is to hire a guy that has succeeded in as similar a position to A&M as possible. That's what Tadlock was my first choice and why Schloss is my second. I can't find any significant advantage that either of those schools have over A&M. Vitello, Godwin and several others all have some sort of advantage and we need to be aware of those things. Doesn't make them deal breakers but it is significant information.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm not saying go hire Link Jarrett from Notre Dame. I'm just saying he succeeded at a mediocre public school and has only been at Notre Dame a very short time and already turned them into ACC champions.

And for any private school coach, and this gets glossed over in conversation on here, it was less than a year ago that need-based aid became exempted from the scholarship limits if the player also received an athletics scholarship. In other words, before August, a player often had to choose between the two. He couldn't get both and have some of it exempted from the 11.7 limit. Coaches weren't topping off need-based aid with a 25% baseball scholarship to make up the difference. That's how you ended up with All-World guys like Dansby Swanson coming out of Vanderbilt with a ton of student loan debt.

TAM85
When ND and Michigan play next weekend I will be the guy wearing the A&M gear. If you are there come by and say hello.
TBoo Ted Marshall
John Byington
Jarrin' Jay
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

Unless Schloss is looking for a new challenge or wants to compete in the SEC I don't think our job is better than what he has right now, and that was obviously proven over the weekend and the NCAA announcement.

Just don't be surprised if the hire is from a mid-major or an assistant coach, either of which I am fine with. This is not football, it's a different dynamic, and we could very well strike out on many of the targets mentioned in this thread.

If we were going to poach a HC my $$ would be on the ND coach. I don't see any reason Schloss of Vitello would make the move, though I would be happy with either.
....If he's content to keep coaching minor league ball then this job isn't better than TCU....

I'm as big an SEC homer and anti little 12 guy there is, but that statement is a stretch. frog knocked us out of 2 SRs and also gave us a 2nd L in the CWS, the top 8 seed they were just awarded, current ranking, etc., etc. is not done playing minor league ball.

100% agree the SEC is a better conference but if you were ranking college baseball conferences it would go SEC, little 12, ACC, etc.

Most definitely the SEC is a tougher challenge week in and week out and is a better conference, but the cow conference is a good baseball conference overall.
Spyderman
AG
BIDS BY CONFERENCESoutheastern
9 (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Mississippi St., Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt)
Atlantic Coast
8 (Duke, Florida St., Georgia Tech, Miami-FL, NC State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Virginia)
Pac-12
6 (Arizona, Arizona St., Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, UCLA)
Big 12
4 (Oklahoma St., TCU, Texas, Texas Tech)
Conference USA
4 (Charlotte, Louisiana Tech, Old Dominion, Southern Miss.)
Big Ten
3 (Maryland, Michigan, Nebraska)
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
dermdoc
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

LOYAL AG said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

Unless Schloss is looking for a new challenge or wants to compete in the SEC I don't think our job is better than what he has right now, and that was obviously proven over the weekend and the NCAA announcement.

Just don't be surprised if the hire is from a mid-major or an assistant coach, either of which I am fine with. This is not football, it's a different dynamic, and we could very well strike out on many of the targets mentioned in this thread.

If we were going to poach a HC my $$ would be on the ND coach. I don't see any reason Schloss of Vitello would make the move, though I would be happy with either.
....If he's content to keep coaching minor league ball then this job isn't better than TCU....

I'm as big an SEC home and anti little 12 guy there is, but that statement is a stretch. frog knocked us out of 2 SRs and also gave us a 2nd L in the CWS, the top 8 seed they were just awarded, current ranking, etc., etc. is not done playing minor league ball.

100% agree the SEC is a better conference but if you were ranking college baseball conferences it would go SEC, little 12, ACC, etc.

Most definitely the SEC is a tougher challenge week in and week out and is a better conference, but the cow conference is a good baseball conference overall.
Great post.

And I think we get Schloss.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
I get that, but there are only 9 teams in the little 12, and certainly the league overall is not near SEC quality, my point being the good teams like frog and Tx Tech are good teams despite playing in the Big XII.

Absolutely the SEC is a step up in competition and can be a main reason a successful coach at frog or Tech, etc. would want to take the A&M job.

We have zero idea who is interested and who Bjork may be talking to and targeting. It could be a name we have not heard or thought about and end up being a great hire. However it plays out, I'll be excited for a new direction and new possibilities for the program.
CrottyKid
AG
Liucci said on the radio that Bjork is conducting in-person interviews. Anyone looking at Flightaware? haha
TXAggie2011
AG
CrottyKid said:

Liucci said on the radio that Bjork is conducting in-person interviews. Anyone looking at Flightaware? haha
I had it on good authority an A&M branded Learjet was in Fort Worth but during the Big 12 tournament so I assume it was unrelated
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Liucci said on the radio that Bjork is conducting in-person interviews.

Right now? While teams are preparing for the postseason? That's a bit surprising. I would think a coach wouldn't want to talk about a new job until his current team is finished with the post season.

twk
AG
85AustinAg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Right now? While teams are preparing for the postseason? That's a bit surprising. I would think a coach wouldn't want to talk about a new job until his current team is finished with the post season.

There was a post on Premium quoting Craig Way as saying that Bjork was in OKC during the Big XII tournament, presumably to interview someone (Schloss) for the baseball opening.
Sandman98
AG
twk said:

85AustinAg said:

Quote:

Quote:

There was a post on Premium quoting Craig Way as saying that Bjork was in OKC during the Big XII tournament, presumably to interview someone (Schloss) for the baseball opening.

That's where he signed the napkin.
85AustinAg
AG

This one...
rather be fishing
AG
Is the DBU coach off the table now?
austinag1997
AG
I dont believe we get down to him as an option. And he has done a fabulous job at DBU. I drove by there on the way out to Fort Worth National Cemetary last week. I don't think folks realize that school is not much more than a glorified JUCO.
rather be fishing
AG
austinag1997 said:

I dont believe we get down to him as an option. And he has done a fabulous job at DBU. I drove by there on the way out to Fort Worth National Cemetary last week. I don't think folks realize that school is not much more than a glorified JUCO.

He's the hire that you would expect to do great things with some serious facilities and budget based off what he's done with their tiny athletic department.
85AustinAg
AG
I think the only table he's been on is the one on this TexAgs forum. Not heard much about Heefner during this process. I'm no insider though and others can probably provide better insight.
greg.w.h
AG
austinag1997 said:

False. They offer four-uear degrees which some previous community colleges like Collin just now are competing with. And masters and two doctoral programs. Their business school is not world caliber but is a good place for Metroplex managers to get basic business and MBA degrees. The size is workable though I'll acknowledge they have satellite classes and not all undergraduates are on campus but quite a few are. Over 4K students so not tiny. Only about 700 per undergraduate class so at least some courses have more personal instruction. Kind of on the path for what Houston Baptist turned into over the years. And now gradually building athletics.

Their baseball program has been a perennial winner since entering Div I. Not necessarily an overachiever, but have been in a NCAA Regional all but four years Heefner has been there. It was a VERY solid hire and their admin have supported him and gotten funds raised.

I don't understand why we use put downs to discuss information that deserves a less emotional and less biased look.
dermdoc
AG
Because we have a bunch of posters who think if we do not hire Schloss or Vitello we "whiffed".

Even if after interviews we feel like another coach is a better hire.

And you can not change their minds. It is like they personally lost "hand" with their sip buds.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
austinag1997
AG
greg.w.h said:

austinag1997 said:

False. They offer four-uear degrees which some previous community colleges like Collin just now are competing with. And masters and two doctoral programs. Their business school is not world caliber but is a good place for Metroplex managers to get basic business and MBA degrees. The size is workable though I'll acknowledge they have satellite classes and not all undergraduates are on campus but quite a few are. Over 4K students so not tiny. Only about 700 per undergraduate class so at least some courses have more personal instruction. Kind of on the path for what Houston Baptist turned into over the years. And now gradually building athletics.

Their baseball program has been a perennial winner since entering Div I. Not necessarily an overachiever, but have been in a NCAA Regional all but four years Heefner has been there. It was a VERY solid hire and their admin have supported him and gotten funds raised.

I don't understand why we use put downs to discuss information that deserves a less emotional and less biased look.

First, it was meant to recognize what a great job their coach has done with limited resources.

Second, drive by the campus. It looks like a community college. I didn't say thar they dont provide a quality education did I?
powerbelly
AG
austinag1997 said:

greg.w.h said:

austinag1997 said:

First, it was meant to recognize what a great job their coach has done with limited resources.

Second, drive by the campus. It looks like a community college. I didn't say thar they dont provide a quality education did I?

Their campus looks great. It's small, bu nice.
agcrock2005
AG
greg.w.h said:

austinag1997 said:

You sure are proud of your masters from DBU.
aggiedaddie
dermdoc said:

Because we have a bunch of posters who think if we do not hire Schloss or Vitello we "whiffed".

Even if after interviews we feel like another coach is a better hire.

And you can not change their minds. It is like they personally lost "hand" with their sip buds.
DBU is nearby and I go to some games. I was there when the aggies came to play a few years ago with a better team than now and couldn't rally for a win. Heefner has a solid assistant who is said to be a primo recruiter. The team does not make many mistakes. It's a tiny school but they manage to compete when they play the few big schools on their schedule. I'm going to go watch them play Oregon St. tomorrow.

Watching the SEC tourney final game I paid attention to vitello. Can't make any conclusions on one game but didn't notice anything remarkable except that Vols were there. That's a big thing.

One thing I DID notice was hitting. Both sides, especially ar-kansas, were making contact on good pitching. That has been a noticeably missing part for the ags for a bit. Last really good hitting team I remember was when Boomer was here. Even Shewmake on his best years was frequently on his own. With the pitching we had, ignoring this year, even just a decent hitting team would have made noise post-season. Speaking of being on his own, when he was having an off year, was anyone able to coach him out of it? And he was frequently batting in a less comfortable position in the order.
austinag1997
AG
powerbelly said:

austinag1997 said:

greg.w.h said:

austinag1997 said:

Their campus looks great. It's small, bu nice.

Its well kept. I will give them that. Perhaps a few trees would help.
Sq 17
Time to bump this thread
Post removed:
by user
GoodAg21
frog fans thing schloss is gone. I think tomorrow is the day
Luke The Drifter
AG
If we go with Heefner, he just got more expensive.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
powerbelly
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

If we go with Heefner, he just got more expensive.

Not really.
RuffStuff87
https://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article251944078.html?__twitter_impression=true

Could Texas A&M baseball be the program that finally poaches TCU's Jim Schlossnagle
91AggieLawyer
AG
austinag1997 said:

This couldn't be further from the truth. The school's athletic department, with the exception of baseball, isn't much to speak of compared to the big schools in Texas, but the school itself is far more than a "glorified JUCO." That's just plain ignorant. I know and have known a lot of people associated with DBU (current and former students -- undergrad and grad -- and faculty and staff). It isn't Rice, or even Univ. of Dallas. But I'd send my kid there over a place like tech and, certainly consider it compared to a Sam, SFA or Texas State type. Way beyond the A&M Commerce (in my opinion) level. Finances aside, of course.
Luke The Drifter
AG
My younger daughter - no Rule #1 - is a sophomore at DBU. They work very hard to make it affordable, so much to the point where we'll actually pay less for her to attend DBU than we paid for the older daughter - still no Rule #1 - to attend A&M (class of '14.)
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
mullokmotx
AG
Arizona State let their coach go. Made NCAA regional in 4 of 6 full seasons. He made Indiana into a power when he was there from 2006 to 2014.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.