New coach

147,212 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
Goro Majima
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, Woodward likes to get established coaches. Vitello's an up and comer that's on the verge of becoming a known commodity.
Amarillo Slim
AG
He is retiring.
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
Sgt. Schultz
AG

I really have no idea who Bjork is thinking about but I am not sold on Vitello.

Get Schloss AND name Saarloos as Associate/Assistant Head Coach. That way you can pay BIG bucks to where it would be hard to poach Saarloos.

I know NOTHING!!!!
twk
AG
Sgt. Schultz said:

I really have no idea who Bjork is thinking about but I am not sold on Vitello.

Get Schloss AND name Saarloos as Associate/Assistant Head Coach. That way you can pay BIG bucks to where it would be hard to poach Saarloos.

Saarloos is likely going to be the new TCU head coach.
Gomer95
AG
I REALLY like your idea of that because it provides a long term continuation hopefully.
dermdoc
AG
Listening to Kendall Rogers today he made it sound like we were getting either Schloss or Vitello.

And he also talked about the idiocy of a "life time" contract. What happens if Tadlock is 72, losing, and does not want to retire?

You are hosed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Capt. America
AG
All in on Vitello. LSU is looking to spend 1.6 to 1.9, which is wild.
greg.w.h
AG
I hope Bjork can satisfy the expectations he currently is letting grow. I'm excited to hear the announcement.
greg.w.h
AG
Capt. America said:

All in on Vitello. LSU is looking to spend 1.6 to 1.9, which is wild.
Why? What is rhe right number???
TAM85
If we get Vitello we go from a guy who was a pitching coach to a guy who was a hitting coach. It will be interesting to see how that affects the roster going forward.
ftworthag02
AG
how bout Vitello to the good guys, Schloss to lsu, and saarloos to Tennessee?
Jarrin' Jay
AG
greg.w.h said:

I hope Bjork can satisfy the expectations he currently is letting grow. I'm excited to hear the announcement.

He is not letting expectations grow, he isn't responsible for nor has to answer to wild-a$$ internet conjecture for a coaching hire.... he also will not be hiring the next HC of any sport totally himself completely in a vacuum, it just doesn't work that way.
hunter2012
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

greg.w.h said:

He is not letting expectations grow, he isn't responsible for nor has to answer to wild-a$$ internet conjecture for a coaching hire.... he also will not be hiring the next HC of any sport totally himself completely in a vacuum, it just doesn't work that way.

But he will take all the blame if it's a bust hire.
TXAggie2011
AG
dermdoc said:

Listening to Kendall Rogers today he made it sound like we were getting either Schloss or Vitello.

And he also talked about the idiocy of a "life time" contract. What happens if Tadlock is 72, losing, and does not want to retire?

You are hosed.

Tadlock's "lifetime" contract is in reality a multi year rolling contract meaning Tech can at some point choose to not renew it and make their way out of it.

It'll hurt to get out of if they decline to roll it over too late, because they'll probably have to make that call a few years ahead of his departure, late but it's not as big a deal (and potential problem) as the name makes it sound.
powerbelly
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

dermdoc said:

You are hosed.

Tadlock's "lifetime" contract is in reality a multi year rolling contract meaning Tech can at some point choose to make their way out of it. It'll hurt to get out of if they decline to roll it over too late but it's not as big a deal (and potential problem) as the name makes it sound.
A rolling seven-year contract will be expensive no matter what.
dermdoc
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

dermdoc said:

You are hosed.

Tadlock's "lifetime" contract is in reality a multi year rolling contract meaning Tech can at some point choose to not renew it and make their way out of it.

It'll hurt to get out of if they decline to roll it over too late, because they'll probably have to make that call a few years ahead of his departure, late but it's not as big a deal (and potential problem) as the name makes it sound.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Still smacks of something Tech has to do. And not us or LSU.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAggie2011
AG
Agreed, that's probably right

KU signed Bill Self to a "lifetime contract" in April and obviously that's a top job; so maybe it's just the next step in the crazy college athletics arms race.

To reiterate, I believe it'll hurt to get out of if things go south for Tech. But obviously Tech wasn't going to be in any mood to lose Tadlock.

Maybe they can pocket some of the revenue he'll bring them and put it in a buyout account.
TAMU1990
AG
AggieFrog said:

ftworthag02 said:

why would they go to lsu? change of scenery? I would think it wouldn't be a pay raise. Sullivan has a brand new stadium. Schloss could definitely use a new stadium.

I don't see TCU replacing Lupton anytime soon. It's a pretty good stadium as it is. I also don't think TCU will be heartbroken if Schloss leaves so long as Saarloos is the next coach.
Which is why I don't want Schloss. Sarloos is a big piece of this TCU puzzle. A package deal?? Maybe...
twk
AG
TAMU1990 said:

AggieFrog said:

ftworthag02 said:

why would they go to lsu? change of scenery? I would think it wouldn't be a pay raise. Sullivan has a brand new stadium. Schloss could definitely use a new stadium.

I don't see TCU replacing Lupton anytime soon. It's a pretty good stadium as it is. I also don't think TCU will be heartbroken if Schloss leaves so long as Saarloos is the next coach.
Which is why I don't want Schloss. Sarloos is a big piece of this TCU puzzle. A package deal?? Maybe...
Saarloos will probably be the next coach at TCU. He's not coming here as an assistant.
RED AG 98
AG
twk said:

TAMU1990 said:

AggieFrog said:

ftworthag02 said:

Saarloos will probably be the next coach at TCU. He's not coming here as an assistant.

I think there are 3 true outcomes for Sarloos in 2021:
- status quo (least likely it would appear)
- TCU or other NCAA head coach
- MLB pitching coach
powerbelly
AG
TAMU1990 said:

AggieFrog said:

ftworthag02 said:

I'm not really worried about Schloss being able to hire good assistants. He hired both Vitello and Saarloos.
twk
AG
rdunham98 said:

twk said:

TAMU1990 said:

AggieFrog said:

ftworthag02 said:

- MLB pitching coach
I agree with that. The one thing that won't happen is us money whipping him to continue being an assistant to Schloss. Some folks just have trouble grasping this reality.
RED AG 98
AG
in complete and violent agreement
greg.w.h
AG
Fisher's contract will morph into one of those likely when he makes the CFP semis. But i doubt tgat will be an issue if it happens.
greg.w.h
AG
I think you should consider how getting this hire wrong affects his political capital. He has to hire big or it will be very poorly received.

The idea I don't know how this works suggests Groff or Crow can sit there and do nothing still. Nope.
jkag89
twk said:

rdunham98 said:

twk said:

TAMU1990 said:

AggieFrog said:

ftworthag02 said:

- MLB pitching coach
I agree with that. The one thing that won't happen is us money whipping him to continue being an assistant to Schloss. Some folks just have trouble grasping this reality.
There are numerous factors thzt make a job attractive. Lots of money is a big incentive but hardly the only one. I think this is why there as been almost no movement of big name D1 baseball coaches in a decade or so.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Watched Manieri's press conference this afternoon. I have to say that he is a very classy man and a heck of a coach. Was not aware that he has endured some pretty significant health issues with his spine. I hope that life after coaching baseball is a good and full one because he deserves it. Having said that, he did mention his great assistants that he has had in the past, especially when LSU won the National Championship. Cliff Godwin's name was one of those names. Just kind of got the idea that he would be behind Woodward giving Godwin a hard look. Anyway, I enjoyed.hearing him talk about his coaching career, his dad, and his philosophy on life. He is a good man, and it's always hard to say good-bye to good men that are also good coaches. This world needs both.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
85AustinAg
AG
Schloss is so much more proven than guys like Vitello. Its like the fascination is based upon the idea that he might or could become this once in a lifetime, awesome coach. But look at their resumes. Schloss is proven. Look what he's done and who is to say he doesn't have this ability to become an even higher profile coach. I want someone proven. I want Schloss. Wanting Vitello is somehow banking on the fact that he's going to turn into a great coach. Schloss already is a great coach and has the same potential for a lot of really good years in front of him.
Sandman98
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Watched Manieri's press conference this afternoon. I have to say that he is a very classy man and a heck of a coach. Was not aware that he has endured some pretty significant health issues with his spine. I hope that life after coaching baseball is a good and full one because he deserves it. Having said that, he did mention his great assistants that he has had in the past, especially when LSU won the National Championship. Cliff Godwin's name was one of those names. Just kind of got the idea that he would be behind Woodward giving Godwin a hard look. Anyway, I enjoyed.hearing him talk about his coaching career, his dad, and his philosophy on life. He is a good man, and it's always hard to say good-bye to good men that are also good coaches. This world needs both.

I watched the whole thing and left feeling the same way but you said it better than I could.
TXAGBQ76
AG
He is not letting expectations grow, he is doing his job.
TAM85
I don't share the Schloosnagel love. I would rather go with Vitellio or Bakich. Maybe Jarrett too.

I see Schloosnagel as a lame duck who is all about himself and he would gladly take a long term big dollar deal from A&M.

That is what I hear, but I also hear he is a good recruiter. Nonetheless don't want him.
swimmerbabe11
I'm biased, but I definitely like Schloss as a human more than Vitello.
TAM85
I understand everyone has their own perspective. If I was asked to decide just on personality and good dudeness I would go with Bakich.
powerbelly
AG
BigScoop said:

I am starting to hear a lot of good things about Todd Whitting

I know some would scoff at the idea of him, but I hear he is under strong consideration

He has not been happy with UH and then sending all the resources to football and then to basketball while leaving his program out to dry

He also hates Tillman (who doesn't) and does not like that some team meals on the road have to be at his chain restaurants

They have been pushing him to act like a clown with RedBull lately too in order to try and up the chances to get them as a major sponsor and he thinks it is a crap product and wants to win on the field not act like a drunken amped up buffoon

The price is right for him too he is willing to come cheap and devote a lot of what would be his pay to assistants and recruiting

Keep this name in mind there are a few other surprises as well there are a lot of really good coaches in bad situations that are being vetted thoroughly

twk
AG
What a waste of time, registering to post something completely off the wall. I guess folks have time on their hands.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.