New coach

146,986 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
2020P.O.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With the one free transfer rule likely or has already been instituted....NOW - should be the easiest time to rebuild ever.

Be aggressive on the transfer portal.....3-4 good bats, and a legit starter, as well as 2-3 bullpen pieces is not that far of a reach with the rule changes. Now - identifying quality of players - that's a whole different discussion - and one where we have struggled in adding quality pieces. Childress/Seely for the most part - get whomever they want. That hasn't been an issue, it's more identifying better players and development once they're here.

Childress has overly panicked with the current roster/bullpen this year and stunted it's growth. So much so it's hard to know what quality underclassmen are currently in the fold or if the cupboard is mostly bare. He keeps rolling the same formula out with basically the same lack of results. This last weekend series was too little too late.
Wicked Good Ag
Pitching hasnt been the same in terms of recruting quality arms as in the past... strong correlation to the number of years left on his contract....tough to recruit arms when they dont know if your pitching (head) coach will be there

fasthorse05
Is anyone else nervous about Bjork's first major hiring?

Whatever you think about Woodward, he made two smash hires in major positions. I like Bjork, but know nothing in his past to judge his hiring ability.

I love this thread because it gives me a good cross section of everyone out there, along with their pros and cons. The information y'all put out has made me rather ambivalent, so I'll just sit back and wait. LIke Derm, I like Childress, and can handle him having a down pitching year, but it's not often he's been able to rack up a consistent offense, so I have no issue seeing him go.

Let's put it this way, whomever Bjork hires, we should win a national championship once ever ten years, at least. I would hope we could make Omaha 2 outta every five years, maybe 3 outta every five years.
greg.w.h
AG
Why not one every year?
fasthorse05
Trying to be reasonable around here is getting pretty tough!!

Can you imagine how spoiled we would be? We'd be like the sippers X 2.
12thMan9
AG
There are 12 kids listed as P who are So. or less. 1, Vincent, is coming off TJ surgery this past Fall. There are 9 incoming P's, IF they all come(don't get drafted).

I don't know if Menefee & Weber come back, but assume they do. That's 14 potential arms. We can make assessments on how things have gone this year, Magers has got to get more movement on his sidearm stuff, Menefee has not had the same year as he did in '19, Weber has been okay by previous standards IMO.

So, either he gets another chance or we see what the next guy can do with these arms.
Ronnie '88
Goro Majima
AG
Sq 17 said:

I stand corrected people think the Mississippi coaches would not be good enough
I would be thrilled with Lemonis if that happened.

I will lose all faith in Bjork if he hires Childress 2.0 AKA Bianco.
85AustinAg
AG
Bjork is in a completely different situation than he has ever been in when it comes to making a hire. I fully expect him to start with Tadlock and then Schlossnagle because they are in state, then likely Vitello and perhaps Lemonis because they are in the SEC and I think are obtainable. After that other Power 5, D1 Head Coaches and I'm not sure who that includes, ACC guys if I had to guess. If none of that works then Saarloos and other top Assistants ready to be given a shot at the HC job will be looked at.

I'm not nervous in the least as long as he's given the budget he needs to secure a top of the line coach.
jkag89
Goro Majima said:

Sq 17 said:

I stand corrected people think the Mississippi coaches would not be good enough
I would be thrilled with Lemonis if that happened.

I will lose all faith in Bjork if he hires Childress 2.0 AKA Bianco.
Lemonis would be a nice hire, one in which I would be pleased. I might just pass on Aggie baseball for the Bianco tenure if hired. I certainly would be a pot banger from day one.
Wicked Good Ag
12thMan9 said:

There are 12 kids listed as P who are So. or less. 1, Vincent, is coming off TJ surgery this past Fall. There are 9 incoming P's, IF they all come(don't get drafted).

I don't know if Menefee & Weber come back, but assume they do. That's 14 potential arms. We can make assessments on how things have gone this year, Magers has got to get more movement on his sidearm stuff, Menefee has not had the same year as he did in '19, Weber has been okay by previous standards IMO.

So, either he gets another chance or we see what the next guy can do with these arms.

You think they would all stay if their pitching coach is no longer their pitching coach and they have free transfer ?? I know Weber would likely stay for education alone but after that ??
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Sometimes when you're not having success with your pitching coach... A change of coach or Philosophy of coaching style can be exceptionally helpful...

When you look at the staff this year, Who truly looks like they have made great strides?
Wicked Good Ag
TxA&Mhunter said:

Sometimes when you're not having success with your pitching coach... A change of coach or Philosophy of coaching style can be exceptionally helpful...

When you look at the staff this year, Who truly looks like they have made great strides?

Are you saying that Childress isn't a good pitching coach as well ?? The last couple of recruiting classes on the bump have been subpar compared to what he had in the past. There is no Friday or Saturday arm on this team compared to last 10 seasons. That isn't a coaching issue that is a recruiting issue. A recruiting issue that didn't help with a lame duck contract coach.
12thMan9
AG
Therte is no "free" transfer in any sport other than football men's & women's basketball, and volleyball. Those are the opnly full ride sports.

A kid transferring in baseball is going to incur costs. I don't think we have Scott Livingstone on our roster.
Ronnie '88
TxA&Mhunter
AG
What I'm trying to say politely is they are one and the same...
At this day and age talent signs to the coach, And the coaches reputation...
Childress is known for micromanaging pitchers and picking favorites... No one is saying he's not a good pitching coach... that being said a lot of the pitchers that have left our program via the draft and are playing MLB right now are substantially better because of the coaching they received in the the minors...

We have had people that should be on her campus right now that would be a Friday or Saturday starter... But they're no longer with the program... Kids are with the program that have the tools or talent such as Childress and Weber.. Haven't developed in a fashion they should have... even if that is because of strength and conditioning, the coaching or the motivation of the kid... some Times it's good for a fresh start or a different voice coaching
12thMan9
AG
They got drafted b/c of what Childress did with them at A&M. That is a horrible take.

Did they have work done in the majors? Let's assume yes. But Lasy wasn't a top 5 pick b/c of work the majors did on him. Roa didn't go high b/c of work the majors did on him. Same for Martin, Wacha, Hill, Mengden, Stinson, Larkins, Dox, Kalich, Cole, Kilkenny, Hoffman, Sherrod, Kolek, Hendrix, Vines, Ecker,Vinson, Simonds, Stripling, Pineda, Ray, K Martin, to name a few.
Ronnie '88
TxA&Mhunter
AG
So why is he failing to develop the talent that is on campus?
Because several the kids we have on campus have as much or more talent out of high school As most of that list.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Double post
Sandman98
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

What I'm trying to say politely is they are one and the same...
At this day and age talent signs to the coach, And the coaches reputation...
Childress is known for micromanaging pitchers and picking favorites... No one is saying he's not a good pitching coach... that being said a lot of the pitchers that have left our program via the draft and are playing MLB right now are substantially better because of the coaching they received in the the minors...

We have had people that should be on her campus right now that would be a Friday or Saturday starter... But they're no longer with the program... Kids are with the program that have the tools or talent such as Childress and Weber.. Haven't developed in a fashion they should have... even if that is because of strength and conditioning, the coaching or the motivation of the kid... some Times it's good for a fresh start or a different voice coaching

The less you know, the more you say.
Sandman98
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

So why is he failing to develop the talent that is on campus?
Because several the kids we have on campus have as much or more talent out of high school As most of that list.

SEC pitching rankings

2015: 3rd
2016: 2nd
2017: 2nd
2018: 1st
2019: 1st

Did he forget how to do it this year or is it more likely that it's nearly impossible to be as consistent as he's been in a partial scholarship sport. Go pretend on a different forum.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Ok sandman, if I am uneducated.. please enlighten me
why can no one tell me why has The pitchers on this roster not developed more?
-why do have no balance on the staff when it comes to quality right left-handed pitchers?

Sandman98
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

-why do have no balance on the staff when it comes to quality right left-handed pitchers?

Because it happens dude. We lost two really good righties that said YES to playing for Childress at first but transferred because there was no path to early innings. OUR STAFF WAS TOO GOOD at the time.

Florida was 13th in the SEC in pitching in 2019 (a year after they lost high daft picks and were 2nd in 2018 behind...............Texas A&M)

Does that mean O'Sullivan lost his touch that year? Or does roster turnover hit harder sometimes? Seriously man pick a different topic.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
So you don't think finding a way to make room for two really good right handers is the coaches job? You don't think part of his job is balancing really high talent players?

I'm not gonna pick a different subject... Because the roster we have right now is the roster he chose as the pitching coach and head coach...

Sandman98
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

So you don't think finding a way to make room for two really good right handers is the coaches job? You don't think part of his job is balancing really high talent players?

I'm not gonna pick a different subject... Because the roster we have right now is the roster he chose as the pitching coach and head coach...

You're dying on this hill to seem like you know what you're talking about. Nobody is even arguing that a change shouldn't happen. But if you're going to get specific with your criticisms you need to bring receipts. This isn't your wheelhouse.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Sandman98 said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

Because it happens dude. We lost two really good righties that said YES to playing for Childress at first but transferred because there was no path to early innings. OUR STAFF WAS TOO GOOD at the time.

Florida was 13th in the SEC in pitching in 2019 (a year after they lost high daft picks and were 2nd in 2018 behind...............Texas A&M)

Does that mean O'Sullivan lost his touch that year? Or does roster turnover hit harder sometimes? Seriously man pick a different topic.

And in all of that you failed to tell me why The current pitching staff hasn't developed more...
O'Sullivan Is know for Building well rounded teams that can hit and pitch... we aren't...
TXAggie2011
AG
Rob shouldn't be expected to absolutely always have good pitching, but Rob also can't really afford to have down years pitching-wise given how often good pitching has been undermined by inept offense.
Sandman98
AG
Quote:

This nugget is particularly special. Do you know how many guys get starter innings in college baseball? Last I checked there isn't a better ranking than 1st and the guys that got us there in 2018 and 2019 would have needed to take a seat to "make room" room for those guys. I can't believe I had to explain that.
Sandman98
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Sandman98 said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

And in all of that you failed to tell me why The current pitching staff hasn't developed more...
O'Sullivan Is know for Building well rounded teams that can hit and pitch... we aren't...

Nobody can answer that question because they're all individuals and we're not in the dugout. Sometimes guys don't perform. Other times they don't come back quite right from surgeries. Sometimes you just have one or two fewer guys to provide depth that sometimes emerge as weekend guys. It happens to everyone.

I can't figure out your point. You're arguing against a lame duck who has a spotless record as a pitching coach relative to his peers. Nobody is even saying he deserves to stay. What on earth is your goal?

TxA&Mhunter
AG
No I know We had 560 innings in 2018 that we played and ruffcorn Pitched only 9... That's kind of why He transferred.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
My point was previously that sometimes a fresh coaching voice for a pitcher or a team can work wonders for development of Kids.
Sandman98
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

No I know We had 560 innings in 2018 that we played and ruffcorn Pitched only 9... That's kind of why He transferred.

While you're doing research, tell me which member of the best SEC staff needed to step aside to accommodate Ruffcorn?
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Well Saenz and joz both had 42 each...
91AggieLawyer
AG
fasthorse05 said:

Let's put it this way, whomever Bjork hires, we should win a national championship once ever ten years, at least. I would hope we could make Omaha 2 outta every five years, maybe 3 outta every five years.

Once every ten years? Am I falling for something here by responding?

I'm as red-ass on expectations as anyone on this forum and even I will concede winning a national championship, even with the right coach, may not happen. Let's start getting to Omaha consistently and then we'll talk about winning it once we get there. There's no reason why we can't have that expectation.
Serious Lee
Sandman98 said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

While you're doing research, tell me which member of the best SEC staff needed to step aside to accommodate Ruffcorn?
cason sherrod
Spyderman
AG
At some point and I believe it won't be to long, we should have the talent to get us to Omaha every year.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
12thMan9
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Well Saenz and joz both had 42 each...
Wrong. Saenz got 19.

Ruffcorn left b/c he wasn't better than those guys. And he wasn't going to be better than Dox, Lasy, Roa, Miller, Weber, or Joz the following year.

Pitcher development is not a problem Childress has had, IMO. This year we don't have the flame throwers like before. And those who had been throwing hard are struggling(Dettmer appears to have hit the wall).

Is Tim Corbin bad at pitcher development b/c he only has 2 who get most of the innings?
Ronnie '88

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.