New coach

146,942 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
Sq 17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If The next guy is an established name who has a good job his contract will be Jimbo-esque Top 3 money and 6+ years
Or if it is a G5 HC or a top assistant than it will be 4-5 years and less money.

Either way RC gets to go find something else to do
hunter2012
AG
SchizoAg said:

powerbelly said:

SchizoAg said:

There are no surefire options that we can get. I'm 95% sure that we will be downgrading.

Based on what?
Any coach who is demonstrably, consistently as good as or better than Childress won't come here.

At least with Childress, we know we'll have good pitching. He has the credibility in that area to get top-tier talent. That won't necessarily be true of his replacement.

I think we're better off keeping him, and money-whipping an assistant or two with MLB cred so we can recruit hitters and infielders.

I hate to break it to you, but Childress has already built the opposite reputation for hitters. There are multiple anecdotes about high school coaches steering their players away from us because they know that the batters will regress in hitting across all metrics once they come here.

We already gave him chances to get a high tier batting coach and it hasn't made a difference. At this point it's time to move on. His contract hasn't been renewed the last year so the writing is on the wall.

Childress teams will go as far as the pitching will carry them and we saw time and time again that pitching alone can't carry a team through Omaha.
MadDog73
AG
Tennessee just walked off Arkansas 8-7 with 3 run home run to even the series. Give me Vitello please!
Chrundle the Great
AG
SchizoAg said:

powerbelly said:

SchizoAg said:

There are no surefire options that we can get. I'm 95% sure that we will be downgrading.

Based on what?
Any coach who is demonstrably, consistently as good as or better than Childress won't come here.

At least with Childress, we know we'll have good pitching. He has the credibility in that area to get top-tier talent. That won't necessarily be true of his replacement.

I think we're better off keeping him, and money-whipping an assistant or two with MLB cred so we can recruit hitters and infielders.

Is this for real or are you trolling? I had to check the time and date on this post because I thought we were past this argument years ago.
Sq 17
MadDog73 said:

Tennessee just walked off Arkansas 8-7 with 3 run home run to even the series. Give me Vitello please!

Vitellilo getting a raise or relocating
I am guessing Vitello's people are hearing from The Ags and a few other programs
Sandman98
AG
hunter2012 said:

SchizoAg said:

powerbelly said:

SchizoAg said:

Based on what?

I hate to break it to you, but Childress has already built the opposite reputation for hitters. There are multiple anecdotes about high school coaches steering their players away from us because they know that the batters will regress in hitting across all metrics once they come here.

We already gave him chances to get a high tier batting coach and it hasn't made a difference. At this point it's time to move on. His contract hasn't been renewed the last year so the writing is on the wall.

Childress teams will go as far as the pitching will carry them and we saw time and time again that pitching alone can't carry a team through Omaha.

You've read all of this on this board. It's unequivocally false in the real world.
Foxo
AG
Either he wins right away or we start calling for his head.
TAMU1990
AG
TarponChaser said:

Rumors that we're making or have made an offer that's hard to refuse to Schlossnagle.
I hope not
TAMU1990
AG
SchizoAg said:

powerbelly said:

SchizoAg said:

Based on what?

Our pitching sucks. And considering this is RC's wheelhouse, this season's results would make me concerned. I think tomorrow is going to be similar to the Sunday Tennessee game (but I hope we can keep up and win).
Wicked Good Ag
TAMU1990 said:

SchizoAg said:

powerbelly said:

SchizoAg said:

Based on what?

Our pitching sucks. And considering this is RC's wheelhouse, this season's results would make me concerned. I think tomorrow is going to be similar to the Sunday Tennessee game (but I hope we can keep up and win).
. You can't put a coach on a contract that expires and expect great recruiting even in his wheelhouse and if you don't think he is a great pitching coach based upon one year then I don't know what to tell you.
Luke The Drifter
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Please explain this line of thinking because for so many reasons it makes no sense. Better job, more money, great fan base, good facilities - so again why?
sincereag
TAMU1990 said:

TarponChaser said:

Rumors that we're making or have made an offer that's hard to refuse to Schlossnagle.
I hope not

Just curious, why would you not want Schlossnagle. He's built a very successful program at TCU and has been to numerous CWS with great success.
Shoefly!
AG
sincereag said:

TAMU1990 said:

TarponChaser said:

I hope not

Just curious, why would you not want Schlossnagle. He's built a very successful program at TCU and has been to numerous CWS with great success.

I'm sure you've read multiple x's, scholarship are different for TCU, Rice, Florida, Vanderbilt, L$U. We are behind the 8 ball. Until the schollies are equal amongst all teams, recruiting is tough.
BQ_90
AG
Shoefly! said:

sincereag said:

TAMU1990 said:

TarponChaser said:

I hope not

I'm sure you've read multiple x's, scholarship are different for TCU, Rice, Florida, Vanderbilt, L$U. We are behind the 8 ball. Until the schollies are equal amongst all teams, recruiting is tough.
So why does that not affect tech? Why is it only us behind the 8 ball?
twk
AG
Shoefly! said:

sincereag said:

TAMU1990 said:

TarponChaser said:

I hope not

The scholarship discrepancy between Vanderbilt and A&M is vast--that's why Tim Corbin isn't leaving. However, with most other private schools, or states with some in-state tuition scholarships, it's not nearly as big a gulf. A&M has enough to offer that it can compete with just about everyone else, and even Vandy, with it's advantages, doesn't come out on top all the time.
TAMU1990
AG
sincereag said:

TAMU1990 said:

TarponChaser said:

I hope not

I know some kids who made it to TCU to play and they did not have a good experience. And before people say these kids stink one threw 95, turned down the draft, and went there. No constructive communication with the players - all negative. Eventually left for a juco after 1 year and got drafted. Maybe Schloss' personal life affected his judgement and he took it out on the kids. I don't know.

I prefer a 1) younger coach with personality, 2) in the SEC, 3) who has to recruit at a public university, 4) who has a turned around a doormat, and 5) the team can hit.

powerbelly
AG
TAMU1990 said:

sincereag said:

TAMU1990 said:

TarponChaser said:

I hope not

I know some kids who made it to TCU to play and they did not have a good experience. And before people say these kids stink one threw 95, turned down the draft, and went there. No constructive communication with the players - all negative. Eventually left for a juco after 1 year and got drafted. Maybe Schloss' personal life affected his judgement and he took it out on the kids. I don't know.

I prefer a 1) younger coach with personality, 2) in the SEC, 3) who has to recruit at a public university, 4) who has a turned around a doormat, and 5) the team can hit.

You might as well say you only want the Tennessee coach
TAMU1990
AG
powerbelly said:

TAMU1990 said:

sincereag said:

TAMU1990 said:

TarponChaser said:

I hope not

You might as well say you only want the Tennessee coach
He's my first choice. Tadlock is my second. I just don't think we can get Tadlock.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Schlossnagle is not my first choice either, for multiple reasons.

1. I hold a grudge. When Ryan Hendrix was sitting down TCU hitters in order, Schlossnagle had the umps go check his glove which is THE biggest bush league move I've seen watching college baseball (possibly tied with the routes through the grass Kentucky took to first base a few years ago). There's no way he believed Hendrix had a foreign substance on his glove, he was playing mind games since he was worried about the game on the field.

2. I think people are aware that a lot of the TCU success is tied to Saarloos being their pitching coach. What happens if you hire Schlossnagle and they counter by just handing his TCU salary to Saarloos? (I ask because that's what I'd do if I were them). That would be a big deal. The most impressive string of seasons for TCU corresponds almost exactly to the arrival of their current pitching coach.

3. Big 12 baseball is not SEC baseball. When this change is made, it should be made with the intent of being a national title contender because the majority of weekends of our conference schedule we're playing a team with a program that has that same idea. It simply isn't the same in the Big 12...no one from that conference has played in the final series since 2009 or won since 2005, which were both Augie Garrido Longhorn teams.

Meanwhile, the SEC has played in 11 of the last 12 CWS final series and won 7 of them. Even crazier, it's been done by 7 different SEC programs. So while A&M plays that group every weekend, TCU played 2 significant conference series this season and lost 2 out of 3 to both Texas and Tech on those weekends.

4. TCU is having a good season, but their past 2 seasons are somewhat concerning. Not only did they lose 2 of 3 to Texas and Tech this season, in the last 2 seasons they finished with sub-.500 records in the Big 12, missing the tournament in 2018 and losing in a regional in 2019. While that's not unreasonable in college baseball....2 seasons like that at A&M and we can copy and paste the Buzz Williams quotes from the basketball board and paste them here.

Schlossnagle has clearly had a lot of success, and you also have to ponder the appeal of making the move. I'm not sure how baseball salaries will look moving ahead, but I don't know how much more we would offer than TCU (maybe it would be more about the length of the contract) and I'm also of the opinion it's much easier to put yourself in a position to play deeper into the postseason coming out of the Big 12 than it is the SEC. He has clearly had a lot of talented players go to TCU, and during prior discussions the articles and arguments about scholarships usually included some people saying TCU has advantages over public schools in terms of offering assistance to players, while those same articles usually include Schlossnagle complaining about how much it costs to go to TCU and that it hampers his ability to recruit. I don't know the truth of either side of that, but it's possible he might be thinking it would be easier for him to recruit to A&M considering the inherit plus a lower tuition.

Aggiehunt
AG
100% agree with this. Schlossnagle, to me, would be a disappointing hire. He's not much better than Rob, if at all. He's already making $1.5 million freaking dollars a year and we'd likely have to match or raise that to bring him here. No thank you. Someone posted on this thread about a rumor that we've made an offer and I hope to God that isn't true.

Go get Vitello or Tadlock. Make them an offer they can't refuse.
MadDog73
AG
Aggiehunt said:

TxA&Mhunter
AG
How is he not much better than what we currently have? This really confuses me and would like help understanding that.
W
AG
some very good points about Schloss.

he's already making $1.5 MM per year. A&M would probably have to take him to $1.7 or $1.8 MM.

that's getting to be a lot for a coach in a sport that barely breaks even.

also...there are numerous reasons why Wayne Graham never left Rice. Near the top...the easiest annual path to regional hosting, national seeds, and ultimately Omaha...is to dominate a weak (or weaker) conference.

the Big 12 is terrible this year outside the top 3. And the top 3 are likely to grab 2 national seeds, because the committee has to give them to at least 8 teams.

the BDF may only be a 3 or 4-bid league (of 9 teams)
sincereag
I've read all the concerns over hiring Schlossnagle but to me the guy is a proven winner and that's what you're looking for.
agforlife97
AG
Aggiehunt said:

100% agree with this. Schlossnagle, to me, would be a disappointing hire. He's not much better than Rob, if at all. He's already making $1.5 million freaking dollars a year and we'd likely have to match or raise that to bring him here. No thank you. Someone posted on this thread about a rumor that we've made an offer and I hope to God that isn't true.

He's gone to the CWS multiple times and won games there, so yeah, he's way better than Childress. Come on.
Spyderman
AG
And has a much better recruiting system/base in place in state.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Aggiehunt
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

How is he not much better than what we currently have? This really confuses me and would like help understanding that.

He consistently makes the postseason but that's about it. He had a run of 4 years where he went to the CWS but didn't win it all. That's better than Childress. BUT he followed that up with losing seasons in the BIG12 in 18 and 19. There's 2 other goods teams in that conference and the sips haven't really been that good until this year.

AND he has the recruiting advantages that a private school offers. He can offer more money to recruits because he doesn't have the same scholarship limitations that A&M does.

Plus, plenty of others have said on this thread that Sarloos has been a pretty big part of his success. Some who personally know guys who have played for him. TCU isn't letting both of those guys go, so we likely would not be making a significant upgrade if we hired Schlossnagle.
Clown_World
I would take Saarloos over Schloss.

Also recently heard something positive on the Tadlock front...
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Are we positive that Sarloos Has aspirations of being a head coach??

The second question I would ask is who hired Sarloos? And what makes you think he couldn't hire someone similar?

I think making for college World Series 4 times is a bit more than some success right!?
Chrundle the Great
AG
CoachO_08 said:

SPILL
Spyderman
AG
CoachO_08 said:

Fascinating
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
85AustinAg
AG
Schlossnagle - .673 winning percentage, 770-374.

NCAA Regionals every year since 2002 (first year as UNLV Head Coach) except for 2002 (UNLV), 2013, and 2018 (TCU).

CWS in 2010, 2014. 2015, 2016, 2017 (All at TCU). 5 CWS appearances in 18 years of Head Coaching.
Clown_World
Chrundle the Great said:

CoachO_08 said:

SPILL

I've been in the "Tadlock won't leave Tech" camp for a while.

I'm not saying it's going to happen...but I'm not in that camp anymore.
Chrundle the Great
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.