New coach

147,229 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
12thMan9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I mentioned Arrington some time ago, has had a lot of success at San Jac, but hasn't been able to win it all. He may be the Mike Martin of JUCO.

Bragga out now at Rice, interesting to see where they go.
Ronnie '88
Spyderman
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Rc stopped recruiting Houston And the overall talent on our roster has gone down every single year since 2016.
Baseball teams with players that can't hit water if they fell out of the a boat don't win games constantly...

Think about it...If every team we played this year walked Friz every at bat.. How many more losses do we have?

RC seemed to prefer the "lunch-pail", rural type kids. Whether that was by choice or not who knows? IMO, we need a coach that can relate and recruit all demographics..especially that in North Houston etc.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
TAM85
Yes it is.
annie88
AG
hunter2012 said:

Anyone expecting a hire right away will be bald by the time we make our hire after Omaha.

Or really fat.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
WallyWonka
AG
Yes.
annie88
AG
I remember him when he was at A&M. Met him a few times, think he's even in some old group photos.

I knew a bunch of players on the '86 team, wasn't as close with the '87 team.

Small world.
TAM85
That was a bit of a guess but thought it might be you.
12thMan9
AG
Appears we may have known some of the same people.

My Arrington story: Fall '84, school just started & I had just made the 12th Man Kickoff Team. Went to Zephyr's w/a few of the original 12th Man guys. We're in line to get in behind Arrington, Haney, couple of other baseball guys. They had a "bouncer", a big 'roid eating Pike. Even some of the Pike's I knew didn't like him.

Anyway, Arrington was a smart ass(remember his junk grabbin' in '85 after he threw way inside to a tu batter?), and he said something to the "bouncer" & b/f anyone could react, he popped Tom's head back w/a punch right in the nose. We were stunned that the baseball players didn't do a damn thing.

Next night, they're back, as are we. Except Beje' Mahoe, our Hawaiian closer, was w/them. And he beat that bouncers ass.

He sent us several kids over the years, would be interesting to see what he could do.
Ronnie '88
SwimboJimbo
AG
Godwin's ECU team just got run ruled opening day of their tourney by Memphis.
annie88
AG
How funny.

I knew some of the football guys in '85 too, you and I were probably in some of the same places then!

Edit: Actually I know who you are. Didn't see you signature and #9. How are you! Wow, blast from the past.

I didn't go to Zephyrs much, too Greek, but once in a blue moon. I remember a guy getting punched there once too (only went maybe three times, I was a Chicken, Sundance, Teazers/Roxy girl) I had to jump out of the way.

Maybe that was him!

Athletes got away with much more then! I remember Pat Wernig getting into a shouting match in the Chicken with my psycho roommate once.

Crazy times the 80s

I still have a photo with about 12 members of the '86 baseball team in our kitchen.
powerbelly
AG
SwimboJimbo said:

Hopefully he will be available asap.
dermdoc
AG
WallyWonka said:

Tom Arrington

21st Season
Texas A&M University (1987)
Overall: 858-330 (.722)
(281) 459-7613
Email

Leading the baseball program at San Jacinto College means more than performing a job for Tom Arrington. The way he sees it, he has an obligation to both the College and his players to help them continue their development and extend their playing career. So far, so good for Arrington, who took over the San Jac program as head coach prior to the 2001 season. Since then, the College has made 11 trips to the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) JUCO World Series, including six appearances in the national title game, culminating as the national runner-up in 2003, 2004, 2010, 2012, 2016, and 2017. His 40 wins at the JUCO World Series is an all-time record, as is his 64 total games at the prestigious national tournament. Arrington can also add "Hall of Fame" to his signature, as the veteran coach entered the NJCAA Baseball Hall of Fame in 2018.

Last season, Arrington led the Gators to a 21-6 season; 11-0 in the conference before the College and NJCAA made the announcement to cancel the season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In 2019, Arrington guided the Gators to a 42-12 season record. Though the Gators dominated their conference opponents, they were unable to continue to post season due to NJCAA sanctions. The Gators did however have a great season, which was highlighted by the Major League Baseball draft of Jackson Rutledge in the first round by the Washington Nationals.

In 2018, Arrington again guided the Gators to the JUCO World Series, where the team advanced to the semifinals and finished 3-2 at the national tournament. In a season in which seven players were selected in the MLB draft, San Jac went 53-14 under Arrington's guidance. He was again named Region XIV Coach of the Year, and 13 players earned Region XIV South All-conference honors.

In 2017, Arrington once again led his team to Grand Junction, Colo., and wound up as the national runner-up. His squad finished the season 48-18 overall and was the Region XIV tournament champion. Five players Sergio Macias, Michael Smith, Ryan Johnson, Donny Diaz, and MacGregor Hines earned JUCO World Series all-tournament honors, and six players were drafted in the MLB first-year player draft.

The 2016 season saw Arrington's squad make another run for a national title, falling short to Yavapai College in the final game of the 2016 JUCO World Series. Three San Jac players were named to the JUCO World Series All-Tournament Team catcher Baine Schoenvogel, pitcher Devin Smeltzer, and designated hitter Ryan January; and seven players were selected in the MLB first-year player draft. San Jac finished the season as the Region XIV South Zone champion, the undefeated Region XIV champions, and national runner-up, with an overall record of 52-12 and 31-9 in conference play. Arrington, in his 15th year as head coach, was named the Region XIV Coach of the Year for the 11th time.

In 2015, San Jac recorded a 43-21 overall record, returning to the JUCO World Series for the 23rd time in school history. Riley Smith was selected in the 31st round of the MLB first-year player draft, eight players earned post-season honors, 10 players were selected to participate in the Texas / New Mexico All-Star game, and a record 16 student-athletes signed national letters of intent to continue their education and baseball careers at four-year universities.

The year 2014 produced a 30-win season for San Jac as the team went 32-28 overall and 20-20 in conference play. Five players earned postseason awards, led by Josh Palacios and Matt Eureste, who were named to the all-Region XIV team. In addition, Toller Boardman, Austin Homan, and Josh Croft earned a spot on the all-conference team. In June, six players were selected in the 2014 MLB first-year player draft.

In 2013, San Jacinto College again won the Region XIV South Conference Championship after a 35-21 (22-8) regular season. Four players earned allconference honors, and Arrington was named the Region XIV Coach of the Year.

Arrington's 2012 season was another 40-win season for San Jacinto College, as it went 41-27 on the way to a national runner-up, the second in three years. Arrington earned his 500th career win in a 3-0 win over Blinn College on Feb. 18. Starting pitcher A.J. Glasshof hurled a complete game no-hitter, the first nine inning no-hitter in the College's history. Six players were named to the all-conference team, and for a fourth consecutive year, Arrington was named the South Zone Coach of the Year. The team shut out the defending JUCO champions Navarro College 1-0 in the final game of the regional tournament to earn a record 22nd trip to the national tournament.

The 2011 season ended earlier than Arrington would have liked, but the success of his team and players can't be overlooked. It was another 40-win season (40-16) for San Jac, six players were drafted in the MLB first-year player draft, and the pitching duo of Tyler Wright and Miguel Pena went 20-4 overall, earning All-America honors.

The 2010 season was one of the most successful under Arrington. He guided San Jac to an unprecedented 21st trip to the NJCAA World Series, finishing as the national runner-up. Four players were named to the all-tournament team in Grand Junction, three earned postseason honors, and nine were selected in the MLB first-year player draft. San Jac's appearance in the national championship game was the 12th in program history, and the national runner-up finish was the seventh. San Jac finished the season with a 52-12 overall record.

The year 2009 was a successful season, despite not having a home field to play on due to construction at J.R. Harrison Field. Nine baseball studentathletes were named to the all-conference team, and Arrington was tabbed as the conference coach of the year. Deric Hawkins and Tommy Collier earned NJCAA All-American honors in leading San Jac to a 45-11 record, the conference title, and a tie for fourth at the World Series.

In 2008, Arrington led San Jac to a 44-14 record and saw two of his players drafted in the majors. San Jac advanced to the semifinals of the Region XIV tournament, just shy of a return trip to the JUCO World Series.

In 2007, Arrington guided San Jac to a 46-16 record, complete with another conference crown, Region XIV tournament title, and a third-place finish at the World Series. Along the way, Arrington surpassed the 300-win mark as head coach at San Jacinto College. In his first six years as head coach (2001-2006), Arrington was 264-102.

Chris Rupp took San Jac to four consecutive World Series (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000), with appearances in the national championship game in 1998 and 1999. His predecessor, Wayne Graham, led San Jac to five national titles from 1985 to 1990 and won 586 games over 11 seasons. Graham went on to coach at Rice University.

While the national title has proven elusive to San Jac under Arrington's tutelage, Arrington and his staff have helped more than 150 players find homes at collegiate institutions and over 70 at the professional level. For him, it's all part of his obligation as the team's leader.

Quote:

"It's extremely gratifying to have quality athletes come in here and help us be what we believe is the premier junior college program in the country," Arrington said. "They are getting a quality education, and at the same time they are continuing to develop and showcase their skills to a point where they either move on to the Division I level on scholarship or sign professional contracts for large signing bonuses. I think we accomplish those three goals, including the education, as well as anyone else in the nation."

Arrington is confident the day will come when the national trophy again comes home to Houston. It will take skill, desire, and some luck, but Arrington is committed to ensuring that current and future San Jac players are in a great position to succeed.

"We have that desire to sustain our performance on the field, and with that hopefully comes a dominance of the region," Arrington said. "With nine trips (to the national tournament) in 15 years, I think we're doing that. That highly coveted first national championship for this group of coaches and the players is still in our sights. When it's our year, it will be our year. I also believe that when we win one, we may win several after that. Our time is coming."

With Arrington's intense focus on the prize, there's no reason to doubt his confidence. As a player, he was intent on becoming the best he could be.

Arrington began his coaching career in 1991 at the College of Mateo. Later came stops at San Francisco State University and College of Marin. In 2000, Arrington arrived in Houston as San Jac's assistant coach, where he focused on the pitchers. He was named head coach nearly two seasons later and athletic director for the San Jacinto College North Campus in 2011.

Quote:

"We look at our program as one of the best in the country," Arrington said. "We also have an obligation to make sure these young men get the best education possible. That's simply a personal belief of mine. We have to prepare these guys for lifelong success, not just baseball success. They have to be able to deal with success or failure on and off the field. We live in a demanding society, so we make sure our players are well prepared."

The Mill Valley, Calif., native began his playing career at College of Marin, where he was an all-conference selection. He then played two years at Texas A&M University, where he earned two letters, was all-conference, and was named the Southwest Conference tournament MVP. He also earned the C.E. "Pat" Olsen MVP award.

Arrington played professionally for the Triple A team of the Texas Rangers; in Guadalajara, Mexico; for the Salt Lake Trappers; and the Single A farm team of the Montreal Expos.

Coach Arrington and his wife, Marya, have two children, Alden and Anya Lily.

THE ARRINGTON COACHING FILE

YEAR
COLLEGE
RECORD
San Jacinto College
21-6
San Jacinto College
42-12
San Jacinto College
53-14
San Jacinto College
48-18
San Jacinto College
52-12
San Jacinto College
43-21
San Jacinto College
32-28
San Jacinto College
35-21
San Jacinto College
41-27
San Jacinto College
40-16
San Jacinto College
52-12
San Jacinto College
45-11
San Jacinto College
44-14
San Jacinto College
46-16
San Jacinto College
38-25
San Jacinto College
39-17
San Jacinto College
41-22
San Jacinto College
52-13
San Jacinto College
54-11
San Jacinto College
40-14

OVERALL: 858-330

Interesting as I have had a prominent player's father recommend him. Said he was exceptional at coaching and recruiting.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
annie88
AG
powerbelly said:

SwimboJimbo said:

Hopefully he will be available asap.

Run ruled is never a good feeling.
Aggies2009
AG
livenitnow said:

Good discussion.

On the issue of private schools having an advantage by supplementing aid, there appears to be some truth to it based on the article I have linked below. Couple of points:
1) There is nothing to prevent a public school from offering similar programs
2) It's not clear to me how this impacts Title IX calculations.

Some excerpts from article:

"The privates can offer more of those types of awards. They can offer a full scholarship, but only use 25 percent of it toward the 11.7. They can deflate their athletic aid, whereas their public neighbor down the street might not have that much of the non-athletic aid. So, that's where it can get unfair competitively." SEC assistant commissioner for compliance Matt Boyer

"Vanderbilt is doing it perfectly legally. They're recruiting kids of high academic standards (for aid scholarships), then they use the 11.7 on kids who don't meet those standards. But if I'm playing a private school, I'd feel like I've got the payroll of the Tampa Bay Rays playing the New York Yankees. They've got 30 scholarships. I had 11.7. These private schools have it made with their baseball programs." former Mississippi State and Georgia coach Ron Polk

Article on Rule Change

Interesting article.

Some people really liked to diminish this.
Macarthur
Don't know if this name has been brought up, but Frog fans know this would be a huge loss for Schloss. He's turned down MLB jobs, as well as some other college gigs.

I would think A&M would be a hard job for him to turn down. He's had a hell of a run.

https://gofrogs.com/sports/baseball/roster/coaches/kirk-saarloos/902
OldSaltAg
Why would we hire a pitching coach from the BDF conference? We're in the big leagues here. This isn't some mickey mouse conference.
powerbelly
AG
OldSaltAg said:

Why would we hire a pitching coach from the BDF conference? We're in the big leagues here. This isn't some mickey mouse conference.
Skip is a good pitching coach. The obsession people have with downplaying good coaches from the big 12 is strange.
OldSaltAg
Are you talking about Skip Johnson at OU? What's their record this year?
Macarthur
Saarloos is very highly thought of....

He's also been TCU recruiting cooridinator for most of his time there.
TXAggie2011
AG
The winning coaches of both SEC divisions this season both have strong ties to the Big 12, and to each other.
jkag89

Kirk Saarloos has rumored to have turned down a number of jobs. including MLB's Arizona Diamondbacks.
agcrock2005
AG
jkag89 said:

Kirk Saarloos has rumored to have turned down a number of jobs. including MLB's Arizona Diamondbacks.
Not for head coaching positions though. At least that's my understanding.
Spyderman
AG
Macarthur said:

I noticed that both he and Vittino were under Shlosh at TCU at one time. Any chance both might make it here together?
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Macarthur
Well, he's not going to stay at TCU as a pitching coach forever. He's a CSF alum so he might be waiting for that.

I would def make the call and check his temp.
Sandman98
AG
Spyderman said:

Macarthur said:

I noticed that both he and Vittino were under Shlosh at TCU at one time. Any chance both might make it here together?

With one working for the other? That would require either Sarloos to make a lateral move or Vitello to take a demotion to work for Sarloos.
jkag89
Macarthur said:

Well, he's not going to stay at TCU as a pitching coach forever. He's a CSF alum so he might be waiting for that.

I was simply pointing out Saarloos has turned down a Major League offer in response to this post
Quote:

My only question about Saarloos is the lack of experience as a head coach. His resume looks a lot like RC's before we hired him.
Macarthur
jkag89 said:

Macarthur said:

I was simply pointing out Saarloos has turned down a Major League offer in response to this post
Quote:

My only question about Saarloos is the lack of experience as a head coach. His resume looks a lot like RC's before we hired him.

Yeah, I hear ya. He's def turned down high profile jobs, but who knows why...maybe it was just a family timing thing. As I said, he would def be one of my calls to check his temp.

I will admit I have not gone back and looked at RC's before he was hired by A&M, but I know Saarloos has won one Asst Coach of the year and is widely regarded as one of if not the best guys in college baseball without a HC job.
jkag89
agcrock2005 said:

jkag89 said:

Very rare for MLB to pluck a coach for a managerial position from the college ranks. I think Dick Howser was the last one when the Yankees hired him from Florida St. and he had previous experience with Yankees at the big league level. However the college ranks are raided occasionally by MLB for positions within their organizations.
powerbelly
AG
agcrock2005 said:

jkag89 said:

Correct. It was to be the Arizona pitching coach.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Macarthur said:

jkag89 said:

Macarthur said:

Quote:

Yeah, I hear ya. He's def turned down high profile jobs, but who knows why...maybe it was just a family timing thing. As I said, he would def be one of my calls to check his temp.

I will admit I have not gone back and looked at RC's before he was hired by A&M, but I know Saarloos has won one Asst Coach of the year and is widely regarded as one of if not the best guys in college baseball without a HC job.

Let's give the guys without the bolded qualifier a shot first.
jkag89
Macarthur said:

jkag89 said:

Macarthur said:

Quote:

Again I was responding to a flippant post about why would we want a pitching coach from the BDF, not that we should not look into him coming to A&M. He may very well be ready to leave Ft. Worth.
jkag89
Chrundle the Great said:

Macarthur said:

jkag89 said:

Macarthur said:

Quote:

Let's give the guys without the bolded qualifier a shot first.
This is my concern with Saarloos, are we going down the same road we did when the Ags hired RC? Saarloos is the recruiting coordinator at TCU, I don't know how involved RC was with recruiting when at Nebraska.
Spyderman
AG

The greater good?
MrCoachEricTaylor
I think I heard Louie say on the radio today that the Yankees offered him their pitching coach job as well. Still speaks volumes of the quality coach he is.
swimmerbabe11
OldSaltAg said:

keep thinking this and take Schloss instead. I'd love to just promote Sarloos.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.