******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

41,773 Views | 799 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by double aught
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just hate paying a QB who hasn't taken the cowboys past the second round ever. I hated doing it with romo too
BassCowboy33
It also helps that cap is legit growing by 10%/yr.

We've seen a lot of teams trade star pass rushers and still compete. I bet Dallas could get three 1st round picks for Parsons.
Infection_Ag11
AG
jr15aggie said:

They can... but we are going to start losing players like Tank and Zack Martin.

I think we see Micah and Tyler Smith get the next big deals. I don't think we will be able to afford Bland.

Martin is likely retiring after this season, and Lawrence has only 1-2 good years left in him. Hes largely a run setting end at this point, and a good one to be sure, but his value as a pass rusher is less and less every year.

Bland won't be signed to a huge deal here because the dirty little secret is he's actually a very average cover corner. He has great ball skills and instincts but he is not particularly sticky in coverage.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

It also helps that cap is legit growing by 10%/yr.

We've seen a lot of teams trade star pass rushers and still compete. I bet Dallas could get three 1st round picks for Parsons.

They could get two, not three
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I just hate paying a QB who hasn't taken the cowboys past the second round ever. I hated doing it with romo too

What's the alternative?
All I do is Nguyen
Trade him for a first round pick or two and draft a QB pay parsons and bring in other talent around the new QB with the money we'd save.

I know a bird in the hand and all that, we know Dak can perform but I'd rather surround the QB with even more talent
jr15aggie
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Don't see how but I also know nothing of the cap situation. I still say trade him fir some picks and load up on young guys on rookie deals. Seems to be the blueprint.

I'm still OK with this approach. Get a Khalil Mack deal for Micah and let's roll!
TyHolden
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

What's the alternative?
Connor Weigman - shots fired!
Infection_Ag11
AG
TyHolden said:

jr15aggie said:

I think we see Micah and Tyler Smith get the next big deals. I don't think we will be able to afford Bland.
2-3 years of hope and then start over like the Texans did. Jerrah will probably be dead by then.....been saying this for 10 years. He's a tough old buzzard.

The Texans were never a contender with Watson. Moreover, they blew it up largely because of Watson's off the field activities forcing them to.

Dallas has elite, top 5 players at 4 of the 5 most important positions in football and within a couple years it could be 5/5 if Guyton continues this incredibly rapid ascent. They are the second best drafting franchise over the last decade. The front office seems to have figured out relative player value (ie don't pay running backs, 1 techs and safeties big money) and have been reliably finding contributors on the cheap in FA.

This season is probably not the year they breakthrough given the combination of breaking in a very young OL, a relatively tough schedule and being thin at corner during the toughest part of the schedule. But this team still has a wide open 3ish year window after this.

One thing I will point out is that, while the first 10 weeks or so this year is a monster, the schedule gets VERY favorable over the final 7 games. They play Washington twice, the Giants, the Bucs, the Panthers. Their toughest games are Philadelphia and Cincy at home. If they can get to that stretch 6-4 or so they could make a late run with more OL experience and Bland back.
Infection_Ag11
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Trade him for a first round pick or two and draft a QB pay parsons and bring in other talent around the new QB with the money we'd save.

He can't be traded
TyHolden
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

jr15aggie said:

2-3 years of hope and then start over like the Texans did. Jerrah will probably be dead by then.....been saying this for 10 years. He's a tough old buzzard.

The Texans were never a contender with Watson. Moreover, they blew it up largely because of Watson's off the field activities forcing them to.

Dallas has elite, top 5 players at 4 of the 5 most important positions in football and within a couple years it could be 5/5 if Guyton continues this incredibly rapid ascent. They are the second best drafting franchise over the last decade. The front office seems to have figured out relative player value (ie don't pay running backs, 1 techs and safeties big money) and have been reliably finding contributors on the cheap in FA.

This season is probably not the year they breakthrough given the combination of breaking in a very young OL, a relatively tough schedule and being thin at corner during the toughest part of the schedule. But this team still has a wide open 3ish year window after this.

One thing I will point out is that, while the first 10 weeks or so this year is a monster, the schedule gets VERY favorable over the final 7 games. They play Washington twice, the Giants, the Bucs, the Panthers. Their toughest games are Philadelphia and Cincy at home. If they can get to that stretch 6-4 or so they could make a late run with more OL experience and Bland back.
They just need a HC to get them over the top. Don't care how many games he's won. He needs to win some playoff games.
Hill08
Let me be the first to congratulate Dallas on not making the playoffs for the next three years. Laughable contract
zgolfz85
AG
I lost every ounce of faith I had in a dak led team in the first 2 drives of that playoff game. It was the dak death knell for me. Would love to be proven wrong, but we all know how this story ends. Today just delays the inevitable.
Macarthur
Well, we've made the playoff the last three with him, so you feeling good about that proclamation?
Infection_Ag11
AG
TyHolden said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

jr15aggie said:

They just need a HC to get them over the top. Don't care how many games he's won. He needs to win some playoff games.
MM is 11-11 in the playoffs and has a ring. I realize he will be fired after this season if he doesnt make the conference title game, but they'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will obviously be better in the short term.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Hill08 said:

Let me be the first to congratulate Dallas on not making the playoffs for the next three years. Laughable contract
How you can look at the NFC, especially with Love being out for at least a third of the season, and think Dallas isnt likely a playoff team is bizarre.
TyHolden
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

jr15aggie said:

MM is 11-11 in the playoffs and has a ring. I realize he will be fired after this season if he doesnt make the conference title game, but they'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will obviously be better in the short term.

We should ask the Eagles how they did it…
mncag
I think I would have let Dak walk before paying this kind of money. So today based on that new contract and par for the Cowboys, dak will probably have a two to three interception day
Infection_Ag11
AG
TyHolden said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

jr15aggie said:

Jury still out on that goober, he made the SB with the most loaded roster in football and then collapsed last year with that same roster.
Infection_Ag11
AG
mncag said:

I think I would have let Dak walk before paying this kind of money. So today based on that new contract and par for the Cowboys, dak will probably have a two to three interception day
But if he doesnt rest assured we'll be told it's because the Browns just arent as good as they were last year.
Tksymm7
AG
Infection_Ag on a heater today. Go off king.
TyHolden
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

jr15aggie said:

Jury still out on that goober, he made the SB with the most loaded roster in football and then collapsed last year with that same roster.
some might argue the Cowboys have had the most loaded rosters in the last ten years and nothing to show for it. Show me some draft stats again.
Infection_Ag11
AG
TyHolden said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

TyHolden said:

jr15aggie said:

some might argue the Cowboys have had the most loaded rosters in the last ten years and nothing to show for it. Show me some draft stats again.
The only year since the 90s SB teams that any reasonable argument could be made for Dallas having the best overall roster in the league was 2007. That's what happens when you dont spend on premium FAs, You will never have the most loaded roster through the draft alone.
PatAg
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I know a bird in the hand and all that, we know Dak can perform but I'd rather surround the QB with even more talent
Oh you just draft a QB, why has no team thought of thought. That worked really well for us the years between Aikman and Romo
J.P. 03
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

I realize he will be fired after this season if he doesnt make the conference title game, but they'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will obviously be better in the short term.

Might as well go ahead and get this rumor started:
Quote:

Those who know Belichick best say that despite his burgeoning media rsum, the six-time Super Bowl-winning head coach still would like to return to coaching in 2025, but only in the right situations with good jobs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41164020/sources-bill-belichick-return-coaching-2025
Infection_Ag11
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

I realize he will be fired after this season if he doesnt make the conference title game, but they'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will obviously be better in the short term.

Might as well go ahead and get this rumor started:
Quote:

Those who know Belichick best say that despite his burgeoning media rsum, the six-time Super Bowl-winning head coach still would like to return to coaching in 2025, but only in the right situations with good jobs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41164020/sources-bill-belichick-return-coaching-2025
No thanks, his pre- and post-Brady resume is terrible and even if we attribute all their success with Brady to him he is a dinosaur
gigem1223
Hill08 said:

How does this make a lick of sense? And how does it even get stars? Dak Prescott may have his struggles in the postseason but one thing you can't argue is he gets his team to the playoffs consistently. He's 36-15 in his last 3 regular seasons.
ttu_85
zgolfz85 said:

Gross
Yep 2 playoff wins. You can have 12-4ish all day long and its useless if you cant win a play off game. I like Dax but he is not that kind money.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Keep making the playoffs and you just hope the stars align. Anything other than resigning him meant racking up 10+ loss seasons for an undetermined period of time. Campo era reset.
DannyDuberstein
AG
ttu_85 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Gross
Yep 2 playoff wins. You can have 12-4ish all day long and its useless if you cant win a play off game. I like Dax but he is not that kind money.

Someone else was going to give it to him in the spring, and likely more. The far and away most pivotal position of all sports has a shortage of talent capable of winning regularly. That's why the price is the price

The choice is:

A) do I resign him (knowing someone will absolutely pay this price next spring) and keep searching for the playoff breakthrough

Or

B) Become the past 10 years of the Giants or washington
J.P. 03
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

No thanks, his pre- and post-Brady resume is terrible and even if we attribute all their success with Brady to him he is a dinosaur

I agree with you 100%. I never meant to imply that it would work. I just meant to imply that Jerry would try it. Best part will be Belichick pulling an Antonio Brown and peacing out about 3 days into training camp.
ApachePilot
AG
I honestly thought the cowboys would do what the Hawks did with Wilson. Find a desperate team and grab some 1st round picks and start over. Maybe Dak has something left in the tank. It was clear wilson had lost a step. Denver was stupid. Still Dak is long in the tooth for a running QB.

If the cowboys lose in the playoffs early this year the rants will be epic
Infection_Ag11
AG
Again Dak could not be traded, he had a no trade clause
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dak hasn't been a running qb since his foot zigged while the rest of his leg zagged.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Quote:

If the cowboys lose in the playoffs early this year the rants will be epic

As opposed to not making the playoffs for years? Either this fanbase is full of people who have never thought this position through, or they somehow find being awful preferable to losing in the playoffs.

Yeah, losing in January sucks. You know what sucks way worse? Having no hope, being out of the playoff race entirely before the end of November and facing the resulting indifference that generally creates in a fanbase. The Cowboys (or Aggies) being awful doesn't just suck in a vacuum, it makes me less enthusiastic about the entire football season at that respective level. In 2020 I don't think I watch a single NFL game live from November on. And this is how most NFL fans are, they just don't watch much of their team sucks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.