******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

43,703 Views | 808 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jr15aggie
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jr15aggie said:

I'm not letting Dallas off the hook just yet, because how you win and how you lose does matter.

But... very interesting week when all 4 of the NFC pre-season favorites lost.
True. But one of these losses wasnt like the others…

Edit: wasnt
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Counting the CD and Dak contracts, the Cowboys have 65 million in cap space this year. They had plenty to spend on free agents, but they never do. We spend less than any other team on free agency, and we are constantly shopping the bargain bin.

I'm not a cap expert so feel free to correct me, but I do know some things. One of those being, unused cap space can roll over into the following year (I'm not sure if all of it rolls over or a %).

It's very likely that's the play and that's how they sign Micah. Also gotta keep in mind that, as far as I know, they will probably need that $65 million cap space next year to cover for all of the dead money hitting the cap (dead money due to past restructures of Dak, Martin, Tank).

All that to say... it's probably not near as black and white as it appears. But I do hope they find a way to trade a pick (hopefully 4th round or later) before the deadline and bring in a really good DT. This cap space will allow us to take on extra salary if needed.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

Quote:

Counting the CD and Dak contracts, the Cowboys have 65 million in cap space this year. They had plenty to spend on free agents, but they never do. We spend less than any other team on free agency, and we are constantly shopping the bargain bin.

I'm not a cap expert so feel free to correct me, but I do know some things. One of those being, unused cap space can roll over into the following year (I'm not sure if all of it rolls over or a %).

It's very likely that's the play and that's how they sign Micah. Also gotta keep in mind that, as far as I know, they will probably need that $65 million cap space next year to cover for all of the dead money hitting the cap (dead money due to past restructures of Dak, Martin, Tank).

All that to say... it's probably not near as black and white as it appears. But I do hope they find a way to trade a pick (hopefully 4th round or later) before the deadline and bring in a really good DT. This cap space will allow us to take on extra salary if needed.
Yeah really good DTs rarely enter the open market. Christian Wilkins did this last offseason and it was newsworthy to the point that everyone was wondering what the hell Miami was thinking. I think Dexter Lawrence on the Giants is a possibility considering how incompetent that organization has been. If I'm Jerry I start making trade offers right now. Maybe we get lucky.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, it's going to have to be a trade. A team that is rebuilding and has a vet that is good, but doesn't fit into their long term strategy.

It's not always a move that the other coach appreciates, but in down years with bad ticket sales, an owner is sometimes open to saving a few million bucks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.