******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

41,770 Views | 799 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by double aught
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My mind hasn't changed on Dak. I think he's an average to barely above average QB, that gets the notoriety and pay of a top 5 guy. Two things can be true at the same time.....Dak is good in the regular season, certainly not great and terrible in the post season when it matters the most.

The guy is in his 9th season....and it's a debate each and every week as to whether he's great or whether he sucks. You know who doesn't have to have that debate week to week? Not Mahomes, not Rodgers, not Stafford, not Purdy, not Lamar, not Josh Allen, not Love, not Hurts, not Herbert....hell, not even CJ Stroud in year 2. We're 9 years in here guys and it's still a weekly debate as to whether this guy is worth a **** or not.

To me, Dak is in the category of Trevor Lawrence, Kyler, Goff of a few years ago, Baker of a few years ago, Tua, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, etc. He'll have some masterful games, and some atrocious games. He's a mid-level guy paid the most money and given the most excuses. And, when it matters in the post-season, he's bottom 5 in the league.
Macarthur
zgolfz85 said:

My mind hasn't changed on Dak. I think he's an average to barely above average QB, that gets the notoriety and pay of a top 5 guy. Two things can be true at the same time.....Dak is good in the regular season, certainly not great and terrible in the post season when it matters the most.

The guy is in his 9th season....and it's a debate each and every week as to whether he's great or whether he sucks. You know who doesn't have to have that debate week to week? Not Mahomes, not Rodgers, not Stafford, not Purdy, not Lamar, not Josh Allen, not Love, not Hurts, not Herbert....hell, not even CJ Stroud in year 2. We're 9 years in here guys and it's still a weekly debate as to whether this guy is worth a **** or not.

To me, Dak is in the category of Trevor Lawrence, Kyler, Goff of a few years ago, Baker of a few years ago, Tua, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, etc. He'll have some masterful games, and some atrocious games. He's a mid-level guy paid the most money and given the most excuses. And, when it matters in the post-season, he's bottom 5 in the league.

The numbers tell a very diff story.

No, this is not a weekly debate. Come on that's just not talking in good faith.

As to the guys you list:

Mahomes - No sh*t

Rodgers - he had a QBR under 50 and was not good last week.

Stafford - You mean the guy that put up 10 points and got blown out just like Dak? I mean, Stafford took how many years to win a SB?

Purdy - Oh, the guy that just lost and had a QBR of under 50...

Lamar - Are you kidding? there are exactly the same discussions going on with Lamar...oh, and he's 0-2.

Allen - He's just a hair below the Mahomes level, IMO.

Love - had a QBR of 25 week one and lost.

Hurts - Are you kidding?

Herbert - Same as above

I don't think you are being very realistic.
zgolfz85
AG
Macarthur said:

zgolfz85 said:

The numbers tell a very diff story.

No, this is not a weekly debate. Come on that's just not talking in good faith.

As to the guys you list:

Mahomes - No sh*t

Rodgers - he had a QBR under 50 and was not good last week.

Stafford - You mean the guy that put up 10 points and got blown out just like Dak? I mean, Stafford took how many years to win a SB?

Purdy - Oh, the guy that just lost and had a QBR of under 50...

Lamar - Are you kidding? there are exactly the same discussions going on with Lamar...oh, and he's 0-2.

Allen - He's just a hair below the Mahomes level, IMO.

Love - had a QBR of 25 week one and lost.

Hurts - Are you kidding?

Herbert - Same as above

I don't think you are being very realistic.

you're making my point for me. No one is questioning whether any of those guys are franchise guys today. At some point, it's not because any of us hate Dak...it's his play. He likely wins yesterday if our defense plays even at their B- level, but that doesn't make Dak "great."

I want to believe in Dak. The dude could not be a better marketing tool for the franchise, loves Dallas, is super charitable and isn't an off the field risk. I WANT that guy to be the guy. He just hasn't been. I'd love to eat crow here, but the dude just keeps giving his criticizers fuel. A few stellar games here and there doesn't erase his pedigree when it matters.

and all you're "are you kidding bro" type mahomes, allen, etc. comments.....dak is paid more than those guys. I know it's not permanent, but he's the highest paid QB and it's apparently LOL that he's compared to them?
Ag Natural
AG
Dak is above average. He isn't great. But nowadays the alternative is so horrible that you have to pay up just to keep an above average QB around. It's not really a debate anymore. Every single expert opinion I've heard says that Dak is very good. My one question is I feel like the coaching staff seems to defer to him a little too much. We saw this with Romo where they put everything on the QB to make the offense work. I would love to see Dak running a Shanahan style offense were there is truly strategic game planning on. New Orleans had it dialed up yesterday and it didn't look like Carr had to make any decisions.
shack009
AG
So you are saying anybody who isn't Mahomes/Burrow/Allen is "average to above average." I guess that is a way of looking at it, but it still sounds weird to call Dak average to above average when he is clearly in the top 10 in the league.

And Dak is the top paid QB in the league right now because he was the next guy up. He probably won't be in the top 5 in 2 years. This is how it has always worked in every league. The market is being reset every year when an important comes up because the cap is increasing at a wild rate, particularly in the NBA/NFL. Tatum just became the highest paid player in the NBA because it was his time, after Jaylen Brown became the highest paid player just a year earlier. Nobody thinks either of those guys are even top 5 players in the league, but good players get paid every time.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

So you are saying anybody who isn't Mahomes/Burrow/Allen is "average to above average." I guess that is a way of looking at it, but it still sounds weird to call Dak average to above average when he is clearly in the top 10 in the league.

And Dak is the top paid QB in the league right now because he was the next guy up. He probably won't be in the top 5 in 2 years. This is how it has always worked in every league. The market is being reset every year when an important comes up because the cap is increasing at a wild rate, particularly in the NBA/NFL. Tatum just became the highest paid player in the NBA because it was his time, after Jaylen Brown became the highest paid player just a year earlier. Nobody thinks either of those guys are even top 5 players in the league, but good players get paid every time.

Totally get that, but let's make sure we accurately state it: top 10 regular season QB. Bottom 10 playoff QB. Take the average and you get, wait for it….average
Agristotle
AG
Dak is a fine quarterback and leader at $42 million.
At $60 million, he's just wrecking the cap until his next big choke.
FightinFarrier18
AG
Agristotle said:

Dak's contract cleared up cap space. Daniel Jones is a $40mil QB, so it makes sense that Dak would be paid more than DJ
shack009
AG
Agristotle said:

I'm pretty sure Dak's salary next season will be a lower percentage of the cap than it was last season.
Southlake
Dak is pretty good. Not excellent. Not 60 million good.

We're stuck with him so why argue? Just hope the right guy shows up.

He's been masterful in stringing Jerry (and us) along for 9 years…
Tksymm7
AG
We're sitting here arguing about Dak (who I don't love at this point either), when the defense got completely BENT OVER yesterday. I mean humiliated.
PatAg
AG
shack009 said:

Agristotle said:

I'm pretty sure Dak's salary next season will be a lower percentage of the cap than it was last season.

No facts allowed
PatAg
AG
zgolfz85 said:

shack009 said:

Totally get that, but let's make sure we accurately state it: top 10 regular season QB. Bottom 10 playoff QB. Take the average and you get, wait for it….average

You are dumb
zgolfz85
AG
PatAg said:

zgolfz85 said:

shack009 said:

You are dumb
and you're easily one of the most arrogant and condescending posters on all of TA. keep dick riding dak to your fictitious super bowl.
Ag Natural
AG
Tksymm7 said:

We're sitting here arguing about Dak (who I don't love at this point either), when the defense got completely BENT OVER yesterday. I mean humiliated.
During the game my son said it was all Dak's fault because he's the leader.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Spoken like a true fan
Agristotle
AG
For the record, I do have mad respect for the way Dak and his team have completely crushed deal-maker Jerry twice now.
shack009
AG
Agristotle said:

For the record, I do have mad respect for the way Dak and his team have completely crushed deal-maker Jerry twice now.
You can be mad at the way the system is set up and the way the market treats these guys, but to be mad at Jerry for doing this deal is just silly.
Macarthur

And we're going to spend two pages *****ing about Dak's contract.
zgolfz85
AG
Macarthur said:

what's there to say about the defense? it's like trying to talk about Conner's performance against ND. It was so bad that there's simply nothing to even analyze or talk about. Couldn't have been worse. Now, all the excitement we had about not losing a step with Zimmer coming in is toast and we have to sit here wondering if our DC is worth a damn or not. Hopefully a one-off performance. Way too much talent on D to be bullied like an FCS team.
Tksymm7
AG
Macarthur said:

98 got treated like a ***** good lord...
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Either Erik McCoy is the best center in the business or 93 is practice squad. I know McCoy is a top tier talent, however 93 got smoked from the 1 spot all day and that really shouldn't happen unless the center has guard help which he didn't. LBs can succeed with guards are on them right away.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dak is good enough to get you in the playoffs. To win a title, the defense is going to have to come together and be very good to great. I do think the offense is good enough not to be a barrier to a title, but it will take pairing it with a strong defense. If Old Man Stafford, Nick Foles, and Russell Wilson can win titles, Dak can too. But they need a whole team.
DannyDuberstein
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Either Erik McCoy is the best center in the business or 93 is practice squad. I know McCoy is a top tier talent, however 93 got smoked from the 1 spot all day and that really shouldn't happen unless the center has guard help which he didn't. LBs can succeed with guards are on them right away.

Yep, smoked all day and somehow Mazi isn't good enough to take most of his snaps.
wspagg
AG
I don't give a **** who you are. No one is winning a super bowl with this ****ty defense.
gigem1223
Well… at least the eagles lost. Sunday sucked, yes but it's only week 2. Lots of football left.
Southlake
DannyDuberstein said:

Dak is good enough to get you in the playoffs. To win a title, the defense is going to have to come together and be very good to great. I do think the offense is good enough not to be a barrier to a title, but it will take pairing it with a strong defense. If Old Man Stafford, Nick Foles, and Russell Wilson can win titles, Dak can too. But they need a whole team.
Not sure Dak is that good any more with a 78 QBR. And the defense has been exposed. It's still early, but after the beating the Saints administered, I'd be surprised if Dallas cab make 9-8.

Let's see how they play against Baltimore.
TyHolden
AG
I'm driving to meet Cousins at Chilis for quesadillas and virgin margs
shack009
AG
They almost got bailed out by that celebration flag with the fake machine gun. I saw that all weekend in college games and was actually surprised I never saw a flag for it. Then of course that lucky ass team gets that call.

Then I couldn't believe they didn't have the penalty assessed on the kickoff. Seems like you might as well let them have the point and expect to start with the ball at your own 40, so you only need 20-25 yards to get in to FG range to win. Really weird move by Siriani.
double aught
AG
TyHolden said:

I'm driving to meet Cousins at Chilis for quesadillas and virgin margs
In your best Kohls attire.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.