******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

41,775 Views | 799 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by double aught
FightinFarrier18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reading all of the bickering since the Dak contract this morning to the post game comments was quite the trip lmao
zgolfz85
AG
My thoughts have not changed for what it's worth. Dak will win lots of regular season games
JAggie2007
AG
Poot said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

jr15aggie said:

They can... but we are going to start losing players like Tank and Zack Martin.

I think we see Micah and Tyler Smith get the next big deals. I don't think we will be able to afford Bland.

Martin is likely retiring after this season, and Lawrence has only 1-2 good years left in him. Hes largely a run setting end at this point, and a good one to be sure, but his value as a pass rusher is less and less every year.

Bland won't be signed to a huge deal here because the dirty little secret is he's actually a very average cover corner. He has great ball skills and instincts but he is not particularly sticky in coverage.

The modern day Larry Brown.
Caelen Carson was *this* close to so many picks today. He may be the next one in the line of young CBs after Diggs and Bland.
shack009
AG
JAggie2007 said:

Poot said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

jr15aggie said:

They can... but we are going to start losing players like Tank and Zack Martin.

I think we see Micah and Tyler Smith get the next big deals. I don't think we will be able to afford Bland.

Martin is likely retiring after this season, and Lawrence has only 1-2 good years left in him. Hes largely a run setting end at this point, and a good one to be sure, but his value as a pass rusher is less and less every year.

Bland won't be signed to a huge deal here because the dirty little secret is he's actually a very average cover corner. He has great ball skills and instincts but he is not particularly sticky in coverage.

The modern day Larry Brown.
Caelen Carson was *this* close to so many picks today. He may be the next one in the line of young CBs after Diggs and Bland.

And it seems like he'll get plenty of chances because it looked to me like Cleveland avoided Diggs like the plague. The few times they tried anything at Diggs it was **** down. Carson got a lot of opportunities and had a really nice game.
JAggie2007
AG
I think especially once Bland comes back it will be pick your poison for QBs assuming all of our DBs are healthy.
Ag Natural
AG
Cleveland has a VERY talented defense. Gutting out this win with great defense and turnover free offense should be our blueprint for the season. I was surprised that Cleveland didn't try to run the ball a lot more seeing as how that was our weakness the last several years. I want to see how the new DTs and Mazi hold up.
suburban cowboy
AG
I think Brady could win #8 with this team.

Not sure Dak can, though.
Infection_Ag11
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Tom Brady is 47 years old and looked like an average backup when he retired 2 years ago
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gigem1223
suburban cowboy said:

Was it not enough that Dak retired Brady 2 years ago? Where do you people come from?
BassCowboy33
FightinFarrier18 said:

Reading all of the bickering since the Dak contract this morning to the post game comments was quite the trip lmao
After the performances from Hurts and Daniel Jones over the past week, I had some flashbacks about how Dak has been the standard for the NFCE. First, it was Wentz who was better. When he got run out of Philly, it was Daniel Jones and his shiny, new $40M contract that were better. More a media invention to "challenge" Prescott's supremacy, Jones has collapsed in on himself. So, now it's Hurts, who had an abysmal 2023 and continues to turn the ball over at a ferocious pace, pulling down what, on paper, is easily the best roster in the NFCE into a borderline playoff team. Through it all, Dak has been the guy.

It also keeps shining a light on how difficult it is to find a quarterback in this league. Caleb Williams, the number one pick and Heisman winner, looked god-awful yesterday. Had it not been for a ridiculous Tennessee second-half meltdown, that'd be the story of the week. Missing open receivers and taking ridiculous sacks, Williams might turn into a good quarterback at this level, but it's not a guarantee.
birdman
Carson played really well for first game. He can't catch though.
BassCowboy33
jteagle
AG
Pretty excited about the LB situation. I think it's an improvement from last season.
jr15aggie
AG
Good post Bass. I think it's also important, when talking about guys like Caleb Williams, to remember that Dak was a phenomenal rookie. No growing pains or 'give him time' comments needed... he was a ready made NFL QB.

Looks like we are in for another fun year of Cowboys football.
Tksymm7
AG
I was impressed on almost all fronts with this team yesterday, and I thought we looked extremely rusty in the second half. Like always, what this team does in the playoffs is what matters the most, but with the two rookies on the o line showing up, the LBers being bats out of hell, and a secondary that is engaged like Dono Wilson and Diggs were, its hard to not see another bright season on the horizon.

Can we also take a step back and just give Mike McCarthy some flowers. I don't think people understand just how good of an offensive playcaller he is, and how absolutely in sync he is with Dak and Ceedee. He has his bugaboos when it comes to managing a game at times, but damn I don't think you are finding a much better coach in this league.

Last thing i'll add is this; the beginning of the schedule is pretty tough, but if we are sitting at 6-2 (give or take) after week 9 going into the trade deadline, I would really love to add a piece on offense and defense. The Raiders are ripe for the picking with guys like Davante Adams or even Max Crosby (much higher price obviously), as I think they are looking at a major franchise reset, or go pick a guy off Carolina like Derrick Brown.

All-in-all very impressed, but a long ways to go with a tough schedule.
jr15aggie
AG
I was thinking the same thing... we need to be players at the trade deadline. Specifically I think we need to go after a legitimate RB.
jr15aggie
AG
Talking about safeties... there was some talk about this group after Thomas and Bell played so well in preseason. Some were thinking that maybe they gave you a little something extra as Hooker and Bones watched in street clothes.

Shoot... those guys were pretty flawless yesterday. Hooker made some plays and I don't recall him doing anything negative. And Bones.... dude... Bones was trying to ruin people's lives out there!
Tksymm7
AG
We really need to start putting Dono in that upper tier of aggies in the NFL. Obviously he's not Myles Garrett or Mike Evans, and he's not what Von Miller was, but he's a damn good NFL player when he's been healthy.
jr15aggie
AG
I thought I'd go ahead and send some love to another player (since it appears the negative nancy / Dak haters haven't woken up yet)... Jordan Lewis played a helluva game. The way he tackled and assisted (taking on blockers) was a big part of giving Cleveland nothing! YAK were basically non existent.

No doubt it was frustrating as hell for the Brownies and their fans. And if you looked at Watson eyes, dude, that guy was DONE. No Mas!!!!
zgolfz85
AG
that overshown speed is going to be amazing
Macarthur
zgolfz85 said:

He and Parsons together is going to be a cheat code for Zimmer.
zgolfz85
AG
Macarthur said:

zgolfz85 said:

He and Parsons together is going to be a cheat code for Zimmer.
our defense is just absolutely stacked...especially when bland comes back. Tank, Micah, Overshown, Dono, Diggs and Bland, Hooker and Lewis. And don't forget Mazi Smith...jk
jr15aggie
AG
I'm like most of you... I typically do NOT like Longhorn players in the NFL (even if they are Cowboys). But Overshown is quickly becoming one of my favorite players at any position.
All I do is Nguyen
jr15aggie said:

I'm like most of you... I typically do NOT like Longhorn players in the NFL (even if they are Cowboys). But Overshown is quickly becoming one of my favorite players at any position.
See once they are in the NFL, if they're on the Cowboys, I tend to move past their college allegiance. I also agree that Overshown is growing on my list of fav players. Hope he can stay healthy this year
jr15aggie
AG
I agree, I typically don't hold onto to college grudges for NFL players... but there haven't been many TU players that have been worth rooting for in a Dallas uniform.

Roy Williams was a desperate Jerry overpay and he never got close to living up to the expectations. Connor Williams was very mid and very often frustrating to watch.

Unless I'm forgetting somebody, the only TU guy I can remember in this century helping the Cowboys was Leonard Davis.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Roy also liked to throw up his hook em sign after scoring TDs in the NFL If I recall correctly.
Out in Left Field
AG
Just wanted to stop by and share that I went to see Creed the other night and one of the merch items is this version of a Cowboys jersey from their famed 2001 Thanksgiving half time show!
DannyDuberstein
AG
They should have guys with straightjackets hiding behind the merch stand for whoever spends $125 on a Scott Stapp jersey. Maybe CPS too.
jr15aggie
AG
All I do is Nguyen
Not Cowboys related just thought it was funny

No matter what!

Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...

I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
double aught
AG
Can you explain it?
All I do is Nguyen
Thats an X profile that simply updates how much fo 2024 has gone by as a progress bar. Today we are 69% of the way through
No matter what!

jr15aggie
AG
It looks like what I would expect for a Cowboys fan hype meter!

It's at 69% currently... once it hits 100% we are back to believing "this really is our year" once again.

And in case any of yall are curious... beating NO & Balt. and starting the season 3-0 will fully fill the meter.
All I do is Nguyen
Until we play at SF again and get molly whopped then it will be doom and gloom again
No matter what!

Macarthur
Gotta hand it to Dallas. They have been good drafting players.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.