******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

41,777 Views | 799 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by double aught
justnobody79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Infection_Ag11 said:

Dak has only lost one playoff game where his defense showed up, 2022 SF, and they had the best defense in the league that year. Every other loss has been a game in which the defense couldn't get a stop for long stretches of the game (2016 GB, 2018 LA, 2021 SF, 2023 GB). Dak was the only reason the 2016 GB and 2018 LA games were even close.
it's not a one way street. when the offense goes 3 and out, 3 and out, int, 3 and out, the defense gets worn out no matter who you are
PatAg
AG
justnobody79 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Dak has only lost one playoff game where his defense showed up, 2022 SF, and they had the best defense in the league that year. Every other loss has been a game in which the defense couldn't get a stop for long stretches of the game (2016 GB, 2018 LA, 2021 SF, 2023 GB). Dak was the only reason the 2016 GB and 2018 LA games were even close.
it's not a one way street. when the offense goes 3 and out, 3 and out, int, 3 and out, the defense gets worn out no matter who you are

Right, the whole point of his post is those other teams defense did their job to keep them in the game
Agristotle
AG
You can't pay Gag Prescott $60M a year and field a Super Bowl roster. Dak doesn't elevate others, he needs lots of help just to put up all those big numbers against the bad teams.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

gigem1223 said:

Attending practice today. Some notes.

Dak is throwing dime after dime. Super sharp day for him. Turpin was used quite a bit. Jaelon Brooks burnt everyone. Beebe ran with the 1s at C. Carson is the opposite corner from Diggs, with Lewis in the slot. Overshown and Kendricks are your nickel LBs. Starting DL was Tank, Mazi, Osa and Parsons.
Thanks for giving us the practice notes, but there's nothing anyone will tell me about dak that will get me excited until he lights it up in the playoffs.

Why even watch the regular season then?
Mike Zimmer

It's no secret that Dan Quinn got totally owned and pantsed by the mike shanahan style offensive tree. Buffalo, Green Bay, and San Francisco embarrassed us last year. All of those coaches worked under Shanahan at some point.

Zimmer has a history of at least forcing those teams to punt the ball. Which is progress because Dan Quinn defenses looked like they weren't even on the field when the opponent was San Fran, Buffalo, or Green Bay. We can get excited about DQ and his ability to shut down the giants 40-3 all we want, but the teams we would see in the playoffs always pummel DQ.

Glad he is gone.
jr15aggie
AG
I think one of Quinns biggest failures was lack of creativity with Micah. For the most part he just lined him up on the end and said 'get the QB'.

I don't care about the numbers, but when the other team can't predict where Micah is and where he's coming from it creates chaos.

I don't feel like Quinn tool advantage of that enough.
Southlake
jr15aggie said:

I think one of Quinns biggest failures was lack of creativity with Micah. For the most part he just lined him up on the end and said 'get the QB'.

I don't care about the numbers, but when the other team can't predict where Micah is and where he's coming from it creates chaos.

I don't feel like Quinn tool advantage of that enough.
Early in the season they moved him around frequently - more from necessity from other injuries and short comings rather than just plugging in a new scheme. Later in the season Parsons slowed down. I hope this year he's more conditioned and able to play 17 games and have enough in the tank not to bonk in the playoffs.
Danny Vermin
They also need to make his ass sit on the bench if the game is out of hand. Even in the blowouts last year he was in the game until the last play.
Agristotle
AG
Quinn's biggest failure was letting Shanahan call the plays in the Super Bowl
Grapesoda2525
It's officially game week
Pignorant
AG
Sturm said last week that if a deal is not done by Tuesday of game week, then Dak is probably not a Cowboy next season.

Assuming a Super Bowl run does not happen.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I believe him. Someone desperate is going to pay and the Jones family is too prideful to get in a bidding war. The only reason we got this far is their pride. Stephen wants these agents calling him instead of vice versa, so these big deals keep getting delayed while the price goes up. And I see this one hitting the breaking point unless it happens this week.
Agristotle
AG
they can find somebody to choke in the playoffs for less than $60M/year.
Ag Natural
AG
Pignorant said:

Sturm said last week that if a deal is not done by Tuesday of game week, then Dak is probably not a Cowboy next season.

Assuming a Super Bowl run does not happen.

So Dak is going to walk away from the 100s of millions he makes off the field being the Cowboys QB? I guess the Giants could make a ridiculous offer and offer similar off field money. But aren't they notoriously cheap?
Infection_Ag11
AG
Agristotle said:

They won't be in the playoffs without Dak
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Giants, Jets, Raiders, and Steelers seem like the most likely options. Not the Cowboys level of marketing, but a mix of big markets and/or high profile franchises where he'd still make a ton off the field.
gigem1223
Agristotle said:

It blows my mind how so many Cowboys fans just seem to believe that a 2nd team all pro QB is incapable of winning in the playoffs just cuz he hasn't gotten it done yet. It has taken several great QBs in the past to get it done. Elway, Manning, Marino etc. Dak is the most important player on this team. Without him, we struggle to win 7 games. Jerry is fully to blame for this circus. This should've been done last season and we could've saved several million on the cap.

Also, I find it funny how everyone wants to point to Dak's record against playoff team but no one wants to mention his defense gives up 28 a game to playoff teams. Does Mahomes defense do that?
Goldie Wilson
Do you think Elway, Manning, and Marino are fair comps for Dak?
aggiebird02
Goldie Wilson said:

No friggin' way…Closer to Romo…
jr15aggie
AG
The Cleveland Browns gave away 3 first round picks for Watson (who was suspended at the time on top of needing a new record deal).

If the Cowboys let Dak simply walk away without getting a bit of compensation for him, they will officially become one of the most incompetent organizations in the entire world! They knew the approximate cost to keep Dak. If they had no intention of paying it, they should have traded him before the draft!!!

What an absolute clown show if they let this happen.
Macarthur
Goldie Wilson said:

This is always an interesting conversation because of how the nature of the game has changed. I mean, with prob the exception of Manning, Dak's numbers dwarf most of those older players.

Does that mean he's better?

I don't think anyone would make the argument that Dak is better than those guys, but I also think when you look at individual guys and their career, some of the comparisons might not be far off.

Elway, for example, wore the mantle of not being able to win the big one until a young team and great supporting cast carried him to a championship. Clearly, Elway wasn't the same player he was in previous years when he failed, but he won with a better team.

Agristotle
AG
They couldn't trade him. He has a no trade clause in his contract
Agristotle
AG
Mahomes won it all last year with a below average wr room. Dak can't do that. He doesn't elevate his teammates, he needs a lot of help. Consequently you can't spend 12% of the cap on him.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Agristotle said:

Mahomes won it all last year with a below average wr room. Dak can't do that. He doesn't elevate his teammates, he needs a lot of help. Consequently you can't spend 12% of the cap on him.
Didnt Mahomes have the best defense in the league?
jr15aggie
AG
Agristotle said:

They couldn't trade him. He has a no trade clause in his contract

Oh, right... thanks! I knew that he can't be franchised again, but I forgot about the no trade clause.

Which goes way back to when they should have signed Dak early instead of waiting for his dirt cheap rookie deal to expire... instead they waited too long, paid more, and were forced to agree to things such as no trade clauses.

So incompetence all around still. I'm not usually a guy that gives Jerry/Dallas too much crap, but they have completely mishandled Dak.
ramblin_ag02
AG
The Dak question is tough. He clearly tightens up and plays worse in the playoffs, especially in the first half of games. He admits to being nervous and having trouble processing the game in that situation. He shrinks from big moments. He's otherwise a very good QB, but he's going to demand a huge chunk of the cap. With that big cap hit, you have to rely on him. You'll never have a team carry Dak, because his giant salary will keep you from making the rest of the team that good. If your highly paid veteran QB is a negative in big games, then you will always lose big games. The case is also true that without Dak you may never be in any big games to start with.

So do you bet a ton of money that he will figure out his mental block and be a positive in big games, or do you save money and bet all your draft capital and the future of your franchise that you can draft someone better? The safe answer is to pay Dak and then at worst your team is still good, even if he can never win the big games. I honestly don't think there's much choice to do different now. Letting Dak walk for nothing is pure idiocy, and trying to turn the team over to Rush or Lance is even worse. The right answer is to have a legit backup that can compete and take over, but that's not how Jerry rolls
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
Agristotle said:

Why do we even start this conversation by referencing Mahomes? There are those that already think he's the goat and passed Brady.

Of course Dak isn't Mahomes. Geez
gigem1223
Agristotle said:

Mahomes is in his own category of QBs but let's not act like his defense wasn't a huge part of their run last year. They only gave up 15/ game in the postseason. Andy Reid and Travis Kelce also have a say.
Agristotle
AG
of course. I was really responding to an earlier comment.

My point is "some" quarterbacks elevate their teammates, Dak is the opposite, he needs help, but you can't afford the talent around him if he eats up a massive chunk of the cap.
Macarthur
Okay, but beyond Mahomes, list the guys that 'elevate' the other players.

The cap is going up pretty drasitcally so the 'can't afford the rest of the roster' is a myth. They can afford Dak, CD and Parsons.
Southlake
Macarthur said:

Agristotle said:

Why do we even start this conversation by referencing Mahomes? There are those that already think he's the goat and passed Brady.

Of course Dak isn't Mahomes. Geez
But, he wants Mahomes kind of money.

Sign Dak for 30 million? That sounds right. Can absorb the payout if he continues to under perform.Sign Dak for 60 million? Absolutely not.

That said. I'd bet Dak has a new contract before next Sunday.
Macarthur
Sigh. I don't know how many times this has to be said but that is not how NFL contracts work. It just isn't. Dak is going to get top dollar.
jr15aggie
AG
Correct. Mahomes deal was signed, what, 2 years ago? He will 100% get that kind of money.

And 2 years from now a QB that is worse than Dak will get a bit more.
98Ag99Grad
AG
if they don't sign him you gotta deal Parsons for a 1st rounder so you can draft a new guy. Lamb is already in the fold and not going anywhere.
Ag Natural
AG
Nobody has tried to handle the QB contract situation like the Cowboys have handled Dak. Does that make it dumb or incompetent? Kyler, Watson, Lawrence, etc ALL got big deals and are also nowhere close to being a championship team. So who is to say the Cowboys are f@cking this up? It's a different approach for sure and the worst that can happen is they still won't win a SB.
Macarthur
reports are that they are close but hung up on term. Dak wants 4 years but Cowboys want less. I suspect they will settle on 3.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.