******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

41,748 Views | 799 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by double aught
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry that reality makes you so mad. Cowboy fans don't give a flying F about division titles. Only championships matter for certain teams. cowboys are one of those teams.

have we really fallen so far as a fan base that you are claiming super bowls aren't all that matters? sad times.
Panama Red
AG
If he's Class of '11, then he probably does not even remember any Super Bowls. Looks like a generational thing. We olds expect more from America's Team than winning the Division and getting awards for good salary cap management.

And I admit, that its probably not a realistic exception. We were just spoiled I guess.
Macarthur
Looking like the Cowboys and CD have agreed on the numbers. Working on the structure now.
BMX Bandit
Good to see.

As I said above about quarterbacks, the numbers are really irrelevant. The salary cap can always be managed.
Infection_Ag11
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Sorry that reality makes you so mad. Cowboy fans don't give a flying F about division titles. Only championships matter for certain teams. cowboys are one of those teams.

have we really fallen so far as a fan base that you are claiming super bowls aren't all that matters? sad times.

Yuck yuck
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Panama Red said:

If he's Class of '11, then he probably does not even remember any Super Bowls. Looks like a generational thing. We olds expect more from America's Team than winning the Division and getting awards for good salary cap management.

And I admit, that its probably not a realistic exception. We were just spoiled I guess.

It just represents a fundamental misunderstanding of the modern game. The current rule structures, FA rules and spending limitations make this a fundamentally different sport than the one played from the 60s through the mid-90s.

The NFL is a salary capped league with a single elimination postseason format. These together create an exceptional amount of parity and allow for random chance to have a huge impact on who wins titles. The goal of modern NFL franchise is to have a competitive team with a good QB as often as possible and continue making the postseason until the stars align for you. Outside of having a generational transcendent QB that can carry almost any roster consistently across time, of which there is currently only one in the league, that's just reality. And anyone claiming "titles are all that matter" have a dated an irrational view of professional football. Yes, 1990 was a failure for the San Francisco 49ers because they didn't win their third straight superbowl. They were the best team with a stacked roster and crazy high payroll in a pre-cap era. The game between them and the Giants was massive. But the sport is just different now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BassCowboy33
Edoga out. Guyton moves into the starting spot.
BassCowboy33
Infection_Ag11 said:

Panama Red said:

It just represents a fundamental misunderstanding of the modern game. The current rule structures, FA rules and spending limitations make this a fundamentally different sport than the one played from the 60s through the mid-90s.

The NFL is a salary capped league with a single elimination postseason format. These together create an exceptional amount of parity and allow for random chance to have a huge impact on who wins titles. The goal of modern NFL franchise is to have a competitive team with a good QB as often as possible and continue making the postseason until the stars align for you. Outside of having a generational transcendent QB that can carry almost any roster consistently across time, of which there is currently only one in the league, that's just reality. And anyone claiming "titles are all that matter" have a dated an irrational view of professional football. Yes, 1990 was a failure for the San Francisco 49ers because they didn't win their third straight superbowl. They were the best team with a stacked roster and crazy high payroll in a pre-cap era. The game between them and the Giants was massive. But the sport is just different now.

I always think of the Giants as the extreme beneficiaries of this setup. They were exceedingly mid, I think 9-7, and dragged Eli Manning to two super bowls on the back of a terrifying defensive line.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
BassCowboy33 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Panama Red said:

I always think of the Giants as the extreme beneficiaries of this setup. They were exceedingly mid, I think 9-7, and dragged Eli Manning to two super bowls on the back of a terrifying defensive line.

Except Eli killed it in the playoffs in both years, in 2011 he averaged over 300 per game in the post season. Eli, like Flacco found a way to win the games. Eli has 2 of the 6 wins ever in Lambeau Field on the playoffs by a non Packers QB. Great teams find ways to win, Dallas never does because they are all finesse with no identity on defense.
BassCowboy33
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Panama Red said:

Except Eli killed it in the playoffs in both years, in 2011 he averaged over 300 per game in the post season. Eli, like Flacco found a way to win the games. Eli has 2 of the 6 wins ever in Lambeau Field on the playoffs by a non Packers QB. Great teams find ways to win, Dallas never does because they are all finesse with no identity on defense.

Chicken or the egg. Manning likely sneaks into the HoF on the basis of those two playoff runs, but he spent a chunk of his career as a bottom-tier QB, leading the league in interceptions three times and completing less than 60% of his passes 6 of 16 seasons. He never received a single MVP vote and never finished with a QB rating above 94 (His career rating is 84.1, just below Sam Bradford and, for reference, would have ranked 35th in the NFL in 2023. And he had the benefit of playing in the pass-heavy modern era.) The dude got supremely lucky.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Yup I know but at the end of the day when he had the chance he seized it.
BassCowboy33

Yup I know but at the end of the day when he had the chance he seized it.

He and Trent Dilfer.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Not even the same ball park. All Dilfer had to do was hand it off. Eli went out and won games through the air, especially in 2011.
BMX Bandit
i get all that. it doesn't change the point. bragging about division titles as exceptional is not going to get cowboy fans excited.

like it or not, this franchise is one of the gold standards in sports. the goal and expectation is super bowls.
jr15aggie
AG
Finally got around to watching 3 quarters of the game. My first thought after watching:

Overshown was the best player on the field in that game! I said it last year and I'll say it again... It's only preseason and we haven't seen him play "real NFL football" yet, but that guy looks like a Pro Bowl linebacker. Fast and very physical. He's really really good.
Danny Vermin
When he was not hurt, he was always the best player on the field for Texas. If he could stay healthy, he will be an all pro.
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

Finally got around to watching 3 quarters of the game. My first thought after watching:

Overshown was the best player on the field in that game! I said it last year and I'll say it again... It's only preseason and we haven't seen him play "real NFL football" yet, but that guy looks like a Pro Bowl linebacker. Fast and very physical. He's really really good.

I thought he and Bell wrecked shop.
Tksymm7
AG
Are the Cowboys and the Joneses Cheap? Or are they just a little too pragmatic when it comes to handing out contracts or free agency to improve the team?

I think they are cheap when it comes to free agency, but I can't fault them for too much, because most of the guys in free agency are their for a reason and you're going to pay a premium for not premium talent.
jr15aggie
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Are the Cowboys and the Joneses Cheap? Or are they just a little too pragmatic when it comes to handing out contracts or free agency to improve the team?

They certainly aren't cheap. You could argue that they are terrible at managing the cap, but they aren't cheap.

I personally don't think they are bad at managing the cap, but they've certainly given out their fair share of bad contracts (Zeke, Gallup, & Jaylon Smith are the most recent bombs).

If the NFL didn't have the salary cap, the Jones's would be trying to buy championships like the Yankees and Dodgers do every year. And like those teams, it wouldn't work all the time, but we'd certainly have a couple more trophies in our case.
Tksymm7
AG
I ask because I saw Mike Greenberg on the McAfee Show today just berating the Cowboys and calling them cheap. I disagreed on pretty much everything except free agency.
Macarthur
Just like anything, I think we judge them so much because they're our team.

There are lots of NFL teams that hand out bad contracts.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Macarthur said:

A lot of NFL teams hand out contracts to WRs coming off acl surgery or to a runningback that shows up out of shape, is known to party too much and has off the field trouble? Or hands out a big contract to a linebacker after 1 good year (contract year) that has drop foot?

"Uh I dont know" - Tony Romo
ramblin_ag02
AG
jr15aggie said:

Tksymm7 said:

They certainly aren't cheap. You could argue that they are terrible at managing the cap, but they aren't cheap.

I personally don't think they are bad at managing the cap, but they've certainly given out their fair share of bad contracts (Zeke, Gallup, & Jaylon Smith are the most recent bombs).

If the NFL didn't have the salary cap, the Jones's would be trying to buy championships like the Yankees and Dodgers do every year. And like those teams, it wouldn't work all the time, but we'd certainly have a couple more trophies in our case.
That's just the Cowboys PR. They rank in the bottom of the league when is comes to spending money on the roster, whether you're talking about extensions, trades or FA contracts. Given the franchise value, they are the very definition of cheap

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2024/3/25/24110551/dallas-cowboys-salary-cap-under-spend-jerry-stephen-jones-family-cash-spend-prorate-contracts
Macarthur
Okay, but most talking heads have agreed that they have one of the top 5 most talented rosters the last couple of years, and their record would back that up.

ramblin_ag02
AG
Yep, which makes it even more frustrating. Maybe the difference between making the playoffs and making the Super Bowl is the that unspent money
PatAg
AG

Macarthur said:

A lot of NFL teams hand out contracts to WRs coming off acl surgery or to a runningback that shows up out of shape, is known to party too much and has off the field trouble? Or hands out a big contract to a linebacker after 1 good year (contract year) that has drop foot?

"Uh I dont know" - Tony Romo

Yes, almost all of them do this and often
98Ag99Grad
AG
They were just valued at over $10B, most valuable franchise in the NFL. As a fan you woukd certainly expect more championships. Rams were second.
cman1494
AG
Any updates on Overshown's injury? I hope nothing serious….
jr15aggie
AG
cman1494 said:

Any updates on Overshown's injury? I hope nothing serious….

Dude, don't do this to me (yes, I'm shooting the messenger). I haven't heard anything, what happened to Overshown!?!?!?! Did he leave practice yesterday?
gigem1223
Hip pointer is what I heard
justnobody79
Tksymm7 said:

I ask because I saw Mike Greenberg on the McAfee Show today just berating the Cowboys and calling them cheap. I disagreed on pretty much everything except free agency.
they have to be cheap in free agency because all of the money is wasted on re-signing their own players to bad contracts
jr15aggie
AG
Some of the guys I listen to seem to think that Jordan Phillips (NT we just traded for - 6'6" 340 lbs) will definitely help us. Not sure if he had a falling out with the Giants coaches or if he simply got pushed out by younger guys, but apparently his tape last year showed the type of guy that we were desperately needing.

I hope so... our defense might be VERY good this year if our interior can hold the line.
Macarthur
Yeah, I think this was a very under the radar get that's going to be really solid.
DannyDuberstein
AG
justnobody79 said:

Tksymm7 said:

they have to be cheap in free agency because all of the money is wasted on re-signing their own players to bad contracts

Yeah, they've drafted well, waited too long to pay the right guys (more expensive), AND given some dumb extensions. Their FA approach has been by necessity vs cheapness.
DannyDuberstein
AG
But to be fair, a lot of high profile FA deals are bad deals. The quality is usually getting franchised and something worked out with the existing team, or traded if there isn't room. What actually hits the market is usually guys that would have qualified as a dumb extension

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.