******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

41,751 Views | 799 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by double aught
Infection_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gigem1223 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Meanwhile Lance is gonna do just enough to trick the front office into keeping 3 QBs and believing they have leverage on Dak.

Lance brings more to the game than Rush. I like Rush as a dependable back up but Lance still a bit raw but the upside is there and he's had a pretty good game thus far.

All of that is irrelevant if Lance is a 50% passer against starting NFL defenses. Cooper Rush can complete passes consistently in real NFL games. Lance can barely operate a dink and dunk drive against future service industry workers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PatAg
AG
gigem1223 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Meanwhile Lance is gonna do just enough to trick the front office into keeping 3 QBs and believing they have leverage on Dak.

Lance brings more to the game than Rush. I like Rush as a dependable back up but Lance still a bit raw but the upside is there and he's had a pretty good game thus far.
I....dont think that is true
Macarthur
His accuracy is atrocious
gigem1223
Infection_Ag11 said:

gigem1223 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

All of that is irrelevant if Lance is a 50% passer against starting NFL defenses. Cooper Rush can complete passes consistently in real NFL games. Lance can barely operate a dink and dunk drive against future service industry workers.

He's 10-15 against a starting nfl defense. Not sure where this 50% comes from.
Infection_Ag11
AG
gigem1223 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

gigem1223 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

He's a career 51.2% passer in combined regular season and preseason appearances. His completion percentage on passes over 10 yards is an abysmal 38.6%. If he ever gets his regular season volume high enough he will likely be in the running for the least accurate downfield passer in league history.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Danny Vermin
That's how you make the practice squad with a possible future.
aggiebird02
I heard a rumor Dak throws games to an extent. That's why he'll throw first quarter interceptions…
gigem1223
Infection_Ag11 said:

gigem1223 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

gigem1223 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

He's a career 51.2% passer in combined regular season and preseason appearances. His completion percentage on passes over 10 yards is an abysmal 38.6%. If he ever gets his regular season volume high enough he will likely be in the running for the least accurate downfield passer in league history.

He's 24 with a small sample size. I'm not saying he's the 2nd coming of Mahomes but he does have something.
Chipotlemonger
AG
PatAg said:

People that pay to watch a preseason game need to be on a list

I was actually at the game tonight. I'm so against ever watching preseason football, but it is fun to see some live football from good seats. The Raiders stadium is pretty nice too.

Don't put me on the list. But please feel free to throw the dude a few seats over in my section on the list. He cared wayyy too much and would not shut up most of the game.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea the QB play was fairly atrocious most all night.
gigem1223
Rare Cowboys preseason win. 15/23 151 yds 1 TD. 34 rush yds 1 TD for Lance.
PatAg
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

PatAg said:

People that pay to watch a preseason game need to be on a list

I was actually at the game tonight. I'm so against ever watching preseason football, but it is fun to see some live football from good seats. The Raiders stadium is pretty nice too.

Don't put me on the list. But please feel free to throw the dude a few seats over in my section on the list. He cared wayyy too much and would not shut up most of the game.
Noted
BassCowboy33
Infection_Ag11 said:

Goldie Wilson said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

It's wild to me that people can watch Daniel Jones, realize that he's an average NFL QB (not even in the bottom 10 starters in the league) and still want to get rid of Dak Prescott. Giants fans would crawl over a hundred yards of broken glass and AIDS needles to have Dak Prescott.
I think it's subjective as a fan what are you satisfied with, and what do think Dak's ceiling is? For me, I would like the Cowboys to advance past the second round, and I don't think Dak is the QB to do that. Yes I acknowledge that that potentially or likely means some years of QB purgatory, but (in my opinion) Dak isn't the QB that's going to lead this team past the second round, so I think it's time to move on. If you're happy with getting to the divisional round every so often, or think Dak has more upside than what he's shown his first 8 years in the league, then I could understand how you would want to keep him.

See, this is why it's so difficult to have rational debates surrounding athlete narratives. Some people are so entrenched in their position that they ACTUALLY BELIEVE a given player, by their very nature, is intrinsically incapable of being on a team that achieves a given level of success. Like there is no conceivable scenario where an MVP caliber QB could ever advance past the second round because of the name on his jersey. Jimmy Garappolo and Nick Foles can be the starters on Super Bowl teams but Dak Prescott cannot because fate has deemed it so.

People with college degrees ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS. It's so wild. And it's a level of superstitious nonsense impervious to logic and reason.

It's hard to fathom now, but I remember growing up in an era when John Elway was an above-average QB who would never lead his team to a Super Bowl victory.
BassCowboy33
Lance was fine. He could a viable back up in a year or so. Still trust Rush far more.
Goldie Wilson
Infection_Ag11 said:

Goldie Wilson said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

It's wild to me that people can watch Daniel Jones, realize that he's an average NFL QB (not even in the bottom 10 starters in the league) and still want to get rid of Dak Prescott. Giants fans would crawl over a hundred yards of broken glass and AIDS needles to have Dak Prescott.
I think it's subjective as a fan what are you satisfied with, and what do think Dak's ceiling is? For me, I would like the Cowboys to advance past the second round, and I don't think Dak is the QB to do that. Yes I acknowledge that that potentially or likely means some years of QB purgatory, but (in my opinion) Dak isn't the QB that's going to lead this team past the second round, so I think it's time to move on. If you're happy with getting to the divisional round every so often, or think Dak has more upside than what he's shown his first 8 years in the league, then I could understand how you would want to keep him.

See, this is why it's so difficult to have rational debates surrounding athlete narratives. Some people are so entrenched in their position that they ACTUALLY BELIEVE a given player, by their very nature, is intrinsically incapable of being on a team that achieves a given level of success. Like there is no conceivable scenario where an MVP caliber QB could ever advance past the second round because of the name on his jersey. Jimmy Garappolo and Nick Foles can be the starters on Super Bowl teams but Dak Prescott cannot because fate has deemed it so.

People with college degrees ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS. It's so wild. And it's a level of superstitious nonsense impervious to logic and reason.
Oh geez this condescending nonsense again where anybody that disagrees with you isn't capable of forming a logical thought
BassCowboy33
Goldie Wilson said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Goldie Wilson said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Oh geez this condescending nonsense again where anybody that disagrees with you isn't capable of forming a logical thought

I mean, he's not wrong.
Macarthur
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think the Cowboys future looks very bright.

Guyton has looked really damn good.

Beebe is looking good.

They have some really nice looking young kids on defense.

Now, they have two big pieces that need to get done in Dak and CD, but I'm optimistic. I know that's not allowed on this board, but I said it.
jr15aggie
AG
Good post Mac. I am, reluctantly, also getting excited for this team again.

I was convinced our oline would be significantly worse off this year... turns out they have a chance to be better by seasons end.

I didn't feel like our first 4 draft picks would contribute much this year... tuns out we found 2 starters and 2 key rotational players.

I agree... we gotta get CD and Dak deals done! This team has so much young talent, we can't waste it. We have a generational pass rusher/defender... 2 All Pro cornerbacks... a top 5 WR... a possible franchise LT paired with a soon to be all pro LG... rounded out by a Pro Bowl TE with attitude.

If Dak can't get it done then he can't get it done, but we sure as hell aren't going to get it done trying to find somebody else. Did you guys see who Vegas is trying to win with this year? Gross.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think you sign Dak and Ceedee while this year is an evaluation year for Micah. See him in Zimmer's system. See if he empties the gas tank by December again. Good chance I'm flipping him for picks. Given they've ****ed themselves by waiting too long on extensions on the others, I don't see room for all 3. Micah has to really be worth the cap pain it will cause elsewhere

In the meantime, keep hunting the same bargain bin you find Romo and Dak in.
Macarthur
Also, I know he's been a liability in pass pro, but we gotta figure out a way to get Deuce involved in the offense .

ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm with you. If I have to 2 of the 3, then I'm shipping out Parsons. Nothing against him. He's top 3 in the league as a pass rusher and will probably win DPOY in the next few years. My problem is the officiating against elite pass rushers. They get held on every pass play and never get a whistle. It really limits their impact and makes it hard to justify giving them a huge contract. If the game was called straight up, then Micah gets 5-10 sacks per game and you pay him whatever you want.
Macarthur
Macarthur
Macarthur

Jerry trying to pull something off?

There's some rumors of Wash wanting to dump Johnathan Allen.
Infection_Ag11
AG
I really don't know why this idea that Dallas is going to suck and only win 7-9 games this season became so pervasive.

They have had a top-3 offense for three straight years and the only players they lost from that unit are an aging and injury prone left tackle, an average NFL starting center and Pollard. Center looks like it may be better this year, and the drop off from Tyron at this point in his career to Guyton looks to potentially be minimal. Pollard was nothing special last year and the team didn't run the ball well anyway. This offense is going to continue to be top 3-5 in yards and points.

The defense is swapping out Gilmore for Diggs, an average linebacking corps for a different average linebacking corps and swapping out average interior DL pieces. I guess people figure since the TO margin was a big reason for our success and the coordinator behind that is gone that we will regress? I guess, though the preseason suggests this team is still very ball hawkish.

This team is gonna win 10+ games and be in the playoffs again
Macarthur
I'm really excited about Beebe.

W/ Tyler Smith, Beebe and Martin, our IOL could be salty.
Tksymm7
AG
The offense, more or less, is going to be and give you the same they gave you last year and the year before that and the year before that. The o line is going to have some moments of being young, but they are talented dudes and will continue to improve, and as long as Dak is leading the offense and CD is catching passes, they will be fine.

This season to me comes down to health on the defensive side of the ball. If they can stay healthy, especially on the d line, I think we will be again see a defense like we have seen the past handful of years except that I expect our floor to be much higher and maybe the ceiling not quite as high, and we will be better against the run.

I don't think we are an elite team, and unless the offense can take the next step in the postseason and we can consistently stop the run, we will probably be in the same boat as we have been in. But we feel like a 10 win team imo.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm not in the camp worried about 7-9 wins, but I can see where some of the concerns arise.

1) Running game situation is shaky. main concern here is impact on red-zone effectiveness.
2) wild card of when CD is back - Dak needs his weapons and CD is really it
3) How will Dak hold up mentally in a contract year.
4) Lame duck coach situation.

Big picture, I think they will be fine and in the playoffs again. My one concern is if they struggle early, especially with McCarthy and Daks situations, sometimes a room just spirals and that is how you end up with an unexpectedly poor season
DannyDuberstein
AG
And I'd add one more. If the CD holdout is prolonged, how often do you see a guy come in late, suffers an injury (maybe a hammy or something), and it plagues them all year.
Infection_Ag11
AG
There is a near zero percent chance Jerry allows Ceedee's holdout to go into the regular season. He remains scarred from the 1993 Emmitt Smith holdout and has literally never allowed that to happen since.

Ceedee knows this too, and know all he has to do is holdout two more weeks to get $34 million per year.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think it likely ends by week 1, but I still think even that poses a risk as a spark to a slow start. And I think this whole thing is a bit of a tinderbox right now that a slow start could ignite

Zeke's holdout ended in 2019 about the time I think this one will. They lost the opener and that season with high expectations just never found its stride

Now if I had to predict, I think they'll he fine and make the playoffs again. But I cannot rule out the alternative at all.
Infection_Ag11
AG
I think they won the opener against the Giants in 2019. That was the year Dak and the receivers looked unstoppable through three games and everyone thought they were gonna hit 14 or 15 wins and set all kinds of franchise offensive records. Then it fell apart.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ah yeah, correct. A brief nice start then toilet. In any case, again, I just think this team is a bit of a mental tinderbox right now. Also just gets a little weird with a lameduck HC and Zimmer at DC
Macarthur

It's looking like these kids are going to bring some attitude back to this OL. Hell yes
DannyDuberstein
AG
This organization can draft OL. There will be rookie pains, but I am not worried about these two and really never was.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.