******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

41,749 Views | 799 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by double aught
Infection_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Macarthur said:

Interesting. Someone will def pick this guy up.

Problem is he never learned to block and he's not an elite receiver, which is what you have to be to make it as a TE in the league if you can't block.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gigem1223
The fan is reporting we traded Hendershot to the Chiefs for a late round pick
jr15aggie
AG
Interesting but not surprising. He had a rough 2nd year and I could be wrong but it feels like he was always sorta banged up. I really didn't even see him get much of a chance in pre season games.

Looks like what we were talking about the other day might happen.... they will carry 3 TE and 3 RB and Luepke will be the 4th guy that can play both spots.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
jr15aggie said:

Interesting but not surprising. He had a rough 2nd year and I could be wrong but it feels like he was always sorta banged up. I really didn't even see him get much of a chance in pre season games.

Looks like what we were talking about the other day might happen.... they will carry 3 TE and 3 RB and Luepke will be the 4th guy that can play both spots.
Rumors were he didnt adjust well to being a professional. Didnt always show up, didnt do the little things, and was unreliable.
Macarthur
Interesting

Macarthur
I'm surprised Scott was cut at CB

Surprised that Spann-Ford AND Stephens were kept at TE. I thought one of the two. I know they really liked Stephens when he got hurt last year.

I know Goodwin is a great ST player, but I'm kinda surprised there Scott being cut and Bland being out for a while.

I think Luepke is going to have a real role with this team.
jr15aggie
AG
That's awesome that Buddy Johnson made the team!

I'm also unsure why we keep holding a roster spot every year for CJ Goodwin. I just don't recall him making big splash plays on ST multiple times a year. Sure seems like we could have kept another CB or Safety.
Danny Vermin
I think with the new kickoff rules that he is nessesary as he's very good at that. There will be alot more actual returns this year.
shack009
AG
Danny Vermin said:

I think with the new kickoff rules that he is nessesary as he's very good at that. There will be alot more actual returns this year.
I think they like Goodwin on punt coverage. Don't the new kickoff rules make kickoffs more like a regular play where you want to rely on better tacklers as opposed to speed merchants that know how to beat blockers over the course of 60 yards?
Infection_Ag11
AG
Love the safety and OL depth

Linebacker looking a lot better than I anticipated IF they can stay healthy

We're ****ed at tight end if Ferg gets hurt
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

That's awesome that Buddy Johnson made the team!

I'm also unsure why we keep holding a roster spot every year for CJ Goodwin. I just don't recall him making big splash plays on ST multiple times a year. Sure seems like we could have kept another CB or Safety.

Special teams ace.
Macarthur
This is a good way to get cut.

Grapesoda2525
Glad Josh ball is finally gone. Dude was trash from day one and never got clean.
jr15aggie
AG
I am grateful for this training camp / preseason because it got me excited for Cowboy football again. I had completely tuned it out after the draft and couldn't care less... but I'm ready to go now!

All that being said, it's once again anti climactic because 95% of the roster is guys you knew were going to make the team. These camp heroes that shine so bright end up on the cutting room floor at the end of the day. A few surprises here and there... Hendershot getting traded and Buddy making the team... but otherwise, it's pretty much as expected.
jr15aggie
AG
Looking at our current 53... it's amazing how F'd up a draft can get when your first pick was the wrong guy.

2023, Mazi pretty much messed up the whole dang thing! Should have drafted LaPorta. It would have been a surprise to us at the time, but we all learned after the fact how much they wanted him. DT, TE, WR, OG were considered our biggest needs going into the draft.

So we drafted the DT workout warrior... which forced us to reach and make another mistake in the 2nd round drafting Schoon.

Imagine our team without Mazi & Schoon... but instead we have the Fergy / LaPorta TE combo. It also would have set us up to possibly get an impact player in the 2nd. OG (Torrence) and WR (Mims, Tank Dell) were all on the board.

But taking Mazi #1 ended up creating 2 picks we never should have made!
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

Looking at our current 53... it's amazing how F'd up a draft can get when your first pick was the wrong guy.

2023, Mazi pretty much messed up the whole dang thing! Should have drafted LaPorta. It would have been a surprise to us at the time, but we all learned after the fact how much they wanted him. DT, TE, WR, OG were considered our biggest needs going into the draft.

So we drafted the DT workout warrior... which forced us to reach and make another mistake in the 2nd round drafting Schoon.

Imagine our team without Mazi & Schoon... but instead we have the Fergy / LaPorta TE combo. It also would have set us up to possibly get an impact player in the 2nd. OG (Torrence) and WR (Mims, Tank Dell) were all on the board.

Well we'd still have a gaping hole at DT. It's the most obvious weakness on this team and I can't fault the front office for trying to address it. Also, to be fair, DTs can take some time to develop as well. So it's not a final conclusion that Mazi is a bust just yet.
Macarthur
Agree, and let's not forget, the Cowboys were not the only ones that thought highly of Mazi. I remember it being said there were a couple of teams behind Dallas that were very interested.
jr15aggie
AG
I agree... there was nothing about Mazi, at the time, that screamed it was a bad / reach pick. And LaPorta would have been a huge WTF moment at the time... that highly rated TE from ND was still on the board and none of the "draft experts" had LaPorta ahead of him.

But still, missing on picks sucks and has a cascading effect sometimes.

But I will disagree about the comment "It takes DT some time". Osa came in right away and made an impact. And what's worse, Mazi (according to people I listen to) was outplayed in camp by UFAs... but Mazi is still on the team because of his draft status. He doesn't need time... he's a bust!
Macarthur
It def sucks to miss on guys, esp first rounders, but you just have to chalk it up to a miss. Every single team misses from time to time, and frankly, Dallas has been in the better half of the league over a pretty significant time frame.
gigem1223
Grapesoda2525 said:

Glad Josh ball is finally gone. Dude was trash from day one and never got clean.

Not so fast…signed to the practice squad.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

It def sucks to miss on guys, esp first rounders, but you just have to chalk it up to a miss. Every single team misses from time to time, and frankly, Dallas has been in the better half of the league over a pretty significant time frame.

For sure... my rant above wasn't so much against the Cowboys, it's about how bad and out of shape Mazi has been. From an outsiders perspective, he just doesn't want it enough and he'll last about as long as Taco did in the NFL.

And, as I was saying above, my real frustration is that if we had gone a different direction with that 1st pick, it's likely we would have made a different / better pick than Schoon in round 2.
gigem1223
Attending practice today. Some notes.

Dak is throwing dime after dime. Super sharp day for him. Turpin was used quite a bit. Jaelon Brooks burnt everyone. Beebe ran with the 1s at C. Carson is the opposite corner from Diggs, with Lewis in the slot. Overshown and Kendricks are your nickel LBs. Starting DL was Tank, Mazi, Osa and Parsons.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Dak is throwing dime after dime. Super sharp day for him. Turpin was used quite a bit. Jaelon Brooks burnt everyone. Beebe ran with the 1s at C. Carson is the opposite corner from Diggs, with Lewis in the slot. Overshown and Kendricks are your nickel LBs. Starting DL was Tank, Mazi, Osa and Parsons.
Thanks for giving us the practice notes, but there's nothing anyone will tell me about dak that will get me excited until he lights it up in the playoffs.
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

I remember listening to the Mazi pick live on The Ticket. Bob Sturm was apoplectic at the pick. He kept going, "They better not. They better not…"
BassCowboy33
gigem1223 said:

I just can't imagine Dallas won't resign him. As the front office managers mentioned in ESPN article, Dallas is going nowhere without him.
gigem1223
Grapesoda2525 said:

gigem1223 said:

Thanks for giving us the practice notes, but there's nothing anyone will tell me about dak that will get me excited until he lights it up in the playoffs.

Why even watch the regular season then?
98Ag99Grad
AG
So he can be miserable and annoy the rest of us.
jr15aggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

gigem1223 said:

I was fine blowing the whole thing up after GB... that game almost broke me as a fan.

But, if that's not how they roll (And I'm 95% sure that will never happen as long as Jerry is alive) then by all means, Dak is 100% your best bet. He's a really really good NFL QB and we are just going to have to live with the fact that he's not Brady/Rogers/Mahomes when it comes to playoff magic.
jr15aggie
AG
Thanks for the practice notes gigem!!!

Glad to hear about Overshown practicing... I was hearing whispers that his hip pointer was a much bigger problem than people were letting on. The fact that he's practicing tells me he's OK for now.

I've been championing this guy since the 1st or 2nd pre-season game last year. If he can stay healthy I really feel like it's possible he could develop into our Fred Warner. I think he's special... I suppose we'll finally get to find out if his game translates to the regular season.
jr15aggie
AG
Listening to Voch & Broaddus's latest podcast. Voch was really on point during a conversation about defense (how Zimmer is actually doing things that Quinn talked about but never did... such as moving Micah around).

The conversation went into the playoffs and evolved into a QB discussion. Voch went on a rant about how all the QBs in the playoffs at one point had really bad 1st halfs. Purdy, Mahomes, Goff, Allen... all of them. But the difference was their defenses and run games gave the QBs time to catch fire.

If you recall, Detroit was all over SF 1st half (24-7). But SF's defense shut them down 2nd half and SF's offense started to cook. Quite a contrast to our defense who, by the end of the 3rd Q had given up TD drives of 75, 93, 75 & 75 yards. Bloody hell, we had no shot.

Infection_Ag11
AG
Dak has only lost one playoff game where his defense showed up, 2022 SF, and they had the best defense in the league that year. Every other loss has been a game in which the defense couldn't get a stop for long stretches of the game (2016 GB, 2018 LA, 2021 SF, 2023 GB). Dak was the only reason the 2016 GB and 2018 LA games were even close.
Goldie Wilson
What's his record when the defense doesn't show up
BassCowboy33
Infection_Ag11 said:

Dak has only lost one playoff game where his defense showed up, 2022 SF, and they had the best defense in the league that year. Every other loss has been a game in which the defense couldn't get a stop for long stretches of the game (2016 GB, 2018 LA, 2021 SF, 2023 GB). Dak was the only reason the 2016 GB and 2018 LA games were even close.

If it wasn't for a terrible defensive play at the end, that 2016 GB comeback would've lived in Cowboys lore forever.
jr15aggie
AG
Dude, we can sit here and blame Jerry, Romo, Dak, etc... and they all have some blame at times... but the amount of WTF scenarios that have robbed us of playoff wins in the 21st century is a bit unreal!
PatAg
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Please don't bring facts into this discussion

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.