******* Cowboys Official Season Thread 2024 *******

41,760 Views | 799 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by double aught
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And I have an OU buddy who thinks they're going to win 10 games lol. You don't replace Guyton and the entire o line and win 10 games in the SEC.
jr15aggie
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

This organization can draft OL. There will be rookie pains, but I am not worried about these two and really never was.

I remember being so incredibly pissed when they drafted Tyler Smith. So many guys I listen to said they didn't think the guy could play in the NFL. WRONG!

Going back to 2011 (Tyron Smith), the Cowboys have pretty much batted 1,000 drafting O-line in the first 3 rounds. The absolute worst guy on the list was Chaz Green (3rd rounder), but the guy played 6 NFL seasons, hardly a bust for a 3rd round OT. The other 2 that some would consider 'meh' were the two Connors (McGovern & Williams), but both of those guys are still playing and have started many games in their careers... very good production from 2nd & 3rd rounders.

jr15aggie
AG
My delayed take-aways from pre-season game #2:

• The Raiders are in trouble this year, they look bad
  • Deuce Vaughn needs to be on this team and needs to get legitimate carries (that crap last year only getting carries against stacked lines in 'run out the clock' scenarios was BS).
  • LB's continue to impress. Liufau looked good while the other starters sat this one out.
  • DTs looking a bit better... the early camp reports were grim, buy they look OK. Probably the weakest spot on the entire team, but not terrible.
  • DB's look really good under Al Harris. That guy won't be here much longer unless we promote him, he's doing a fantastic job.
  • Trey Lance... I expected him to still be behind in terms of reading the field... but where did his arm talent go? The guy can't even adequately put a ball on a RB in the flats. He looks bad.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
DannyDuberstein said:

I'm not in the camp worried about 7-9 wins, but I can see where some of the concerns arise.

1) Running game situation is shaky. main concern here is impact on red-zone effectiveness.
2) wild card of when CD is back - Dak needs his weapons and CD is really it
3) How will Dak hold up mentally in a contract year.
4) Lame duck coach situation.

Big picture, I think they will be fine and in the playoffs again. My one concern is if they struggle early, especially with McCarthy and Daks situations, sometimes a room just spirals and that is how you end up with an unexpectedly poor season
Valid concerns but when McCarthy had his best years at GB it was slinging the ball and having a committee approach at RB that included a fullback getting work, hello Luepke.

Brandin Cooks is a weapon, any player that can run a sub 4.4 and has produced as much as he has is still a weapon. Ferguson is a weapon.

Dak is going to ball out in a contract season. He has incredible mental strength, just look at his life and his adversity.

It is all about the post season no doubt. But Dak and mike will get the team there.
jr15aggie
AG
I agree. Right now I don't see any reason to think that our offense won't be just as or more explosive than last year. The CD contract dispute is currently the only big hurdle to overcome.

There were some posts on the previous page asking "why did we think this team was going to fall apart". For me, I thought our o-line was potentially in BIG trouble after free agency & the draft and it would plague us the entire season. But lucky for us, our rookie O-line draftees look not only ready to go, but ready to be pretty good.

J.P. 03
AG
Uh oh, Randy Gregory got cut by the Bucs for not even showing up to training camp. Think Jerry's already on the phone planning a reunion?

(I'm not asking bc I think this would be a good idea, obviously. It would be terrible. But we all know how much Jerry loves a reunion with washed up former players)
VP at Pierce and Pierce
J.P. 03 said:

Uh oh, Randy Gregory got cut by the Bucs for not even showing up to training camp. Think Jerry's already on the phone planning a reunion?

(I'm not asking bc I think this would be a good idea, obviously. It would be terrible. But we all know how much Jerry loves a reunion with washed up former players)
Randy will be at the Star by Wednesday and agree to guaranteed deal worth too much.
Macarthur
Cowboys finally getting serious about stopping the run

jr15aggie
AG
That's pretty big news. These guys aren't spring chickens anymore and we can't expect them to play a majority of the snaps every game. But they are most definitely going to help this team.
cman1494
AG
Zimmer loves his big boys up front!
justnobody79
jr15aggie said:

My delayed take-aways from pre-season game #2:

• The Raiders are in trouble this year, they look bad
  • Deuce Vaughn needs to be on this team and needs to get legitimate carries (that crap last year only getting carries against stacked lines in 'run out the clock' scenarios was BS).
  • LB's continue to impress. Liufau looked good while the other starters sat this one out.
  • DTs looking a bit better... the early camp reports were grim, buy they look OK. Probably the weakest spot on the entire team, but not terrible.
  • DB's look really good under Al Harris. That guy won't be here much longer unless we promote him, he's doing a fantastic job.
  • Trey Lance... I expected him to still be behind in terms of reading the field... but where did his arm talent go? The guy can't even adequately put a ball on a RB in the flats. He looks bad.

Trey Lance was fools gold coming out of college and should have been considered a project at best. He barely played 1 full season, and he played on a team with an absolutely dominant defense so he had to take zero risks throwing the ball and his running ability was no match for defenses at that level.
jr15aggie
AG
And yet there are still people who I listen to that think he improved from game 1. I mean, I guess if you really studied him, maybe there were some good take-aways. But to me the biggest problem is his inability to put the ball on the receiver so that it's an easy catch.

The pass catcher has no chance for YAK when they are contorting their body just to make the catch! And when you are talking about 2-10 yard throws, that's very concerning.
jr15aggie
AG
But I will say this about Trey Lance... if Dak goes down in the middle of a game, I'm probably more than happy for Trey to run in there and finish the game. Mobile QBs are a pain in the ass to deal with when you haven't prepped for them. He can probably do quite well for us in that situation.

But if we are talking a multiple week deal, then it's Cooper Rush time no question. If a team has all week to prepare for Trey Lance that scares me!
gigem1223
Jahan Dotson traded to the Eagles
Macarthur
I agree with all this. However, I will say that Jeff Cananaugh did a video with Broaddus earlier this week and brought up a good point.

Early in his career, Dak was a real ugly practice player and his accuracy wasn't good. Obviously, he was a bit of a gamer early, but did significantly improve his accuracy and became a great practice player.

Now, Dak certainly appears to be an outlier, but I bring this up to say that as little football as this guy has played, I think there's still a chance he's got some good NFL QB play in him. The question is who will either take that chance to just roll with him and be bad for a year or two and who will move on.
shack009
AG
gigem1223 said:

All they do is acquire players who are good...
VP at Pierce and Pierce
shack009 said:

gigem1223 said:

The Eagles know how to build a championship caliber team. What are they planning to do with three first rounders at WR? Trade Smith?
shack009
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

shack009 said:

gigem1223 said:

The Eagles know how to build a championship caliber team. What are they planning to do with three first rounders at WR? Trade Smith?
Dominate other teams...
VP at Pierce and Pierce
shack009 said:

shack009 said:

gigem1223 said:

Dominate other teams...
Luckily they have Kellen Moore calling plays, an inaccurate qb, and a head coach that seems to be ignored by his players.
gigem1223
shack009 said:

gigem1223 said:

Not sure I'd call Dotson good yet. And for a 3rd round pick? Wouldn't like it as a Cowboy.
jr15aggie
AG
I wouldn't worry too much about this... they are taking a flier on a guy who was highly thought during the draft, but hasn't done much of anything since getting to the NFL.

In terms of yards & receptions, his stats last year were slightly better than Gallup (who retired this year because his body don't work no more!).
jr15aggie
AG

shack009 said:

shack009 said:

gigem1223 said:

Dominate other teams...
Luckily they have Kellen Moore calling plays, an inaccurate qb, and a head coach that seems to be ignored by his players.

ROFL... oh man... I totally forgot they hired Kellen Moore as OC. The biggest WTF thing Philly did all offseason.

The LAC head coach was already on the hot seat last year, but the hiring of Moore really sealed the deal didn't it!!!
shack009
AG
jr15aggie said:

I wouldn't worry too much about this... they are taking a flier on a guy who was highly thought during the draft, but hasn't done much of anything since getting to the NFL.

In terms of yards & receptions, his stats last year were slightly better than Gallup (who retired this year because his body don't work no more!).
His QB has been Sam Howell, his team has been the Commanders, and his coach has been Ron Rivera. They were trying to feed McLaurin and for some reason the half RB half WR from tOSU whose name I can't think of. People still consider Dotson to be a good WR.
shack009
AG
gigem1223 said:

shack009 said:

gigem1223 said:

Not sure I'd call Dotson good yet. And for a 3rd round pick? Wouldn't like it as a Cowboy.
Dotson is good. He's been in a terrible situation. The Eagles really needed a 3rd WR so this fills a big need for them. When they are in 11 personnel, Dotson will be their worst skill player on the field. That's pretty filthy, unfortunately.
gigem1223
shack009 said:

gigem1223 said:

shack009 said:

gigem1223 said:

Dotson is good. He's been in a terrible situation. The Eagles really needed a 3rd WR so this fills a big need for them. When they are in 11 personnel, Dotson will be their worst skill player on the field. That's pretty filthy, unfortunately.

It's a good thing they have mediocre thrower of the football. Giving up a 3rd and 2 5ths is a big overpay imo.
shack009
AG
gigem1223 said:

shack009 said:

gigem1223 said:

shack009 said:

gigem1223 said:

It's a good thing they have mediocre thrower of the football. Giving up a 3rd and 2 5ths is a big overpay imo.

That's what "all in" looks like lol.

And I guess Washington is going to use those picks to help them get Aiyuk? Weird move by then considering their number 2 is now Dyami Brown. Unless they get Aiyuk, they aren't helping Daniels with that move.
jr15aggie
AG
I think some of y'all have the terms confused. Philly got Dotson and a 5th... Washington got a 3rd and two 7th rounders.
Southlake
Not really fair when Philly proactively acquires players to make a deep playoff run…
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG

J.P. 03 said:

Randy will be at the Star by Wednesday and agree to guaranteed deal worth too much.

You're both wrong.

Genius Jerry and Savvy Stephen will wait for Gregory to sign a FA deal with another team. Then trade next year's 3rd rounder to get him and then walk into the draft war room, turn the cameras on, and high five one another and post it to social media.

It's the Jones way.
jr15aggie
AG
Cowboys war room don't high five... Cowboys war room gotta hug!
Grapesoda2525
1 more game of fake football then we can actually talk about the regular season.
jr15aggie
AG
How do y'all feel about not playing starters again this pre-season. 2 years ago we looked like ass my dude in the opener... last year we blew out the G-Men 40-0.

I think my only concern is we are playing a Browns team week 1 that had an awesome defense last year. Would have been nice for Dak and Co to get a few game reps.

I suppose the bigger issue is getting CD back on the field.
BassCowboy33
Varies from team to team. I don't have a problem with Dallas sitting its starters. If there was a young QB and new staff/offense/etc, I might be more for it.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I would personally like to see a drive or 2 from the starters.
Grapesoda2525
I'm ok with them getting as much rest as possible after Green Bay brought the youngest and most inexperienced team in the league to our house for a playoff game and they tapped that ass for all to see on national tv.

My eyes still burn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.