***** OFFICIAL Call the Iowa Caucus Thread *****

38,289 Views | 844 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Rapier108
aggie93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
J. Walter Weatherman said:

Ag87H2O said:

Agthatbuilds said:

If Republicans can't see the homerun that is desantis in front of them and instead choose some geriatric charlatan then the race is already over. Biden wins.
It's the most self defeating scenario I've ever seen.

DeSantis is everything conservatives have been longing for for since Reagan, both in policy and in effectiveness. He's the Democrat slayer we need, yet they run back to an extremely flawed Trump.

It's absolutely mind numbing.

It's wild to watch unfold but really shows (as if we needed a reminder) just how cynical and power hungry politicians are. Watched Doug Burghum this morning try and crawfish his way out of literally saying on camera two months ago that he'd never work with someone like Trump but now is endorsing him before any primary votes have been cast because he's the only option we have and he's apparently the defacto nominee before the primaries have even started.

All of these cowards like him, Rubio, etc are so scared of being on the wrong side of a mean tweet that they just jump on board. Really disappointing.
The most disappointing one to me was Mike Lee. He was just re-elected too. Lee has even gone to fundraisers for DeSantis and clearly he aligns with him in policy and demeanor. I'm proud of Cruz for holding firm, I'm sure he is under immense pressure to endorse Trump.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
J. Walter Weatherman
aggie93 said:

J. Walter Weatherman said:

Ag87H2O said:

Agthatbuilds said:

If Republicans can't see the homerun that is desantis in front of them and instead choose some geriatric charlatan then the race is already over. Biden wins.
It's the most self defeating scenario I've ever seen.

DeSantis is everything conservatives have been longing for for since Reagan, both in policy and in effectiveness. He's the Democrat slayer we need, yet they run back to an extremely flawed Trump.

It's absolutely mind numbing.

It's wild to watch unfold but really shows (as if we needed a reminder) just how cynical and power hungry politicians are. Watched Doug Burghum this morning try and crawfish his way out of literally saying on camera two months ago that he'd never work with someone like Trump but now is endorsing him before any primary votes have been cast because he's the only option we have and he's apparently the defacto nominee before the primaries have even started.

All of these cowards like him, Rubio, etc are so scared of being on the wrong side of a mean tweet that they just jump on board. Really disappointing.
The most disappointing one to me was Mike Lee. He was just re-elected too. Lee has even gone to fundraisers for DeSantis and clearly he aligns with him in policy and demeanor. I'm proud of Cruz for holding firm, I'm sure he is under immense pressure to endorse Trump.

Agreed. I can't imagine there has ever been a much better match for Lee than a candidate like DeSantis who is so well organized and principled. And I would have no issue and basically expect them to endorse Trump further down the road if it's pretty much guaranteed he's going to win. But doing it now when there are other options is really disappointing.
AtticusMatlock
Trump will win by about 15. People will assume he's the runaway candidate not realizing that independents don't show up to party caucuses and most primaries or participate in a lot of polls. He'll win the nomination, get trounced in the general thanks to a 2 or 3:1 independent swing advantage for the democrats.
aginresearch
AG
Do you actually think that people not particularly enthusiastic about supporting a candidate today will show up in Iowa? The weather is brutal even for Iowa standards. Roads are hazardous based on what people living in Iowa and on these boards are saying. You add all of this up and you get very low turnout. This will come down to campaign logistics, infrastructure and enthusiasm.

We'll see who wins in this environment but I know who has the best of at least two of those three areas. I am also fairly certain DeSantis has at least the same level of enthusiasm as Trump does among supporters.

I predict that independents/democrats don't show up in large numbers. I know people over the last few months have said that ground game doesn't matter in this day and age because of social media. Well social media can't get people to the polls in inclement and hazardous weather. A ground game can.
aggiehawg
AG
Kiss of death?

aggiehawg
AG
texagbeliever
aggiehawg said:

I don't think this was a mistake.

Haley is a moderate. She has support of democrats. How many democrats are wanting to leave the all-in progressive train? Meanwhile a candidate like Haley might be better for Trump. If the pick is between Trump and Haley, the DeSantis fans might want to vote Trump.

I don't really see her being the VP. But will have some presence in campaigning for Trump in line for a cabinet position.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
aggie93
AG
texagbeliever said:

aggiehawg said:

I don't think this was a mistake.

Haley is a moderate. She has support of democrats. How many democrats are wanting to leave the all-in progressive train? Meanwhile a candidate like Haley might be better for Trump. If the pick is between Trump and Haley, the DeSantis fans might want to vote Trump.

I don't really see her being the VP. But will have some presence in campaigning for Trump in line for a cabinet position.
Choosing between Trump and Haley would be depressing as hell for me.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Hoyt Ag
AG
Agreed.
Sq 17
Agthatbuilds said:

Is the f16 posters who's name I can't recall working the ground again for Trump.

Haven't seen him post here since the Kari lake debacle

Pretty sure yij are referencing
Legal Drug Pusher and now that I think about it he has been absent

Maybe he caught the perma ban and has a new account
Sq 17
My call
Trump 41
DeSantis 36
Haley 18
Vivek 15
Who?mikejones!
That'd be a pretty shocking result
J. Walter Weatherman
My guess is DeSantis squeezes out a small win. Trump blames cheating and the weather and then we're off to New Hampshire. No real confidence in that guess though, just seems to be so many variables out there. Either way, happy to get some actual results so we can stop with all of the non stop polls.
AggieVictor10
AG
This place will be ****in lit if desantis wins.
ktownag08
AG
If Desantis wins or is even close, this primary gets a lot more interesting...
ttu_85
ktownag08 said:

If Desantis wins or is even close, this primary gets a lot more interesting...
Means more than that. It means there is hope for a chance at a decent future with sound leadership in tough times. I see no stability with Trump and down right disaster with that leftest trash Biden.
PA24
AG
If DeSantis gets within 10 points, Trump is in real trouble.

Doesn't mean DeSantis will win, just means Trump won't either.
zephyr88
AG
File5 said:

Trump 57
Desantis 17
Vivek 16
Haley 10
I'd love to see some shakeups just to show how polling isn't really reflective of the real situation.

49 Trump
30 DeSantis
12 VivRam
09 Haley
Sq 17
Agthatbuilds said:

That'd be a pretty shocking result

I don't think they can properly model caucus especially a caucus in a generational blizzard

Just don't think Vivek does very well and Haley gave NH some love last week which probably cost her 5 points in IA

If is a WAG but that is why I started the thread and of course to get blue stars
Dan Scott
AG
Weather issue I think is overblown. It's cold but it's not snowing anymore.
agz win
AG
Gonna hang with DeSantis as he deserves it.
Bryanisbest
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

I dont have tds. I will vote for him should he win the primary.

It's just a damn shame we are going to have to choose between two octogenarian fruads who care infinitely more of themselves than this country's future. Especially when there's a candidate with real tangible results of conservative leadership.

Name one US president who did not think infinitely more of himself than the country's future.
ttu_85
Bryanisbest said:

Agthatbuilds said:

It's just a damn shame we are going to have to choose between two octogenarian fruads who care infinitely more of themselves than this country's future. Especially when there's a candidate with real tangible results of conservative leadership.

Name one US president who did not think infinitely more of himself than the country's future.
Ronald Reagan. Next
Logos Stick
Desantis!!!
Who?mikejones!
George Washington. Literally risked his entire life and livelihood to help establish the usa.

Point stands. I can't think of two more narcissistic people than biden and Trump.

Trump needs to go pasture. He did his thing and it was great. Time for the next transformational leader who isn't so interested in giving himself a pardon
Tanya 93
Ralph Nader

But Ron DeSantis does.
And that does make a difference with people like me.

I can disagree with much of his political beliefs, but he loves this country. And wants it to be the best for his littles like I do for the 15 year old Demon Spawn.

My Boo Face deserves better than what we have had for the last 16 years.
PA24
AG
when should we start hearing official results?
BigRobSA
Dan Scott said:

Weather issue I think is overblown. It's cold but it's not snowing anymore.

Roads aren't cleared, though.
Ag with kids
AG
Iowafarmkid said:

I'm honestly undecided yet. I really like Vivek and what he has to say. A lot of people think he's fake, but it would be hard to be as passionate as he is if he didn't truly believe it. When people say they wish he had more experience, that's what makes me like him. We have tons of people with political experience completely running this country in to the ground
I also like Desantis. Love what he's done in Florida. I believe he has the good qualities of Trump with the ability to not step in it.
Even if I don't vote for trump in the caucus's, I will gladly vote for him in the general. He has a lot of rural Iowa support. Signs and flags are everywhere, even since 2020. He stopped by a friend of mines farm this fall in between campaign speeches, and his ability to actually relate and have a conversation with working class people is what resonates with me. He signed the side of this guys combine, which is now hanging in his shop. I guess I feel most politicians think us "rural" people are beneath them and seeing him sit down with local farmers and basically talk shop, makes me have no problem pulling the lever for him in the general.
And yet Trump only visited 17 (IIRC) counties this campaign. So, maybe he's thinking you rural folks are in the bag and he doesn't have to care about glad handing y'all anymore.
MemphisAg1
AG
Bryanisbest said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Easy. Those who put their life on the line in service of our country. Washington, Grant, Teddy R, Eisenhower, JFK, Bush Sr... to name a few. Many others.

Trump is all about Trump. A big reason for me falling off the Trump wagon was his behavior after the 2020 election. I've lived in GA three times, and it is not a blue state. But thanks to Trump, we have two Dem senators from GA right now. Many other examples of his ego leading to bad outcomes for this country.

More than one thing can be true. Trump was a great president 2016-20. And he is also an awful choice for 2024-28.
BigRobSA
PA24 said:

Varies by precinct, but mine was always about 60-90mis in before counts started appearing.

Have to listen to each candidates speaker speak. And then, laugh at Trumps for like 10 minutes
Rockdoc
AG
BigRobSA said:

PA24 said:

Varies by precinct, but mine was always about 60-90mis in before counts started appearing.

Have to listen to each candidates speaker speak. And then, laugh at Trumps for like 10 minutes

Well maybe you'll get to laugh at Biden for 4 more years!
Tanya 93
Rockdoc said:

BigRobSA said:

PA24 said:

Well maybe you'll get to laugh at Biden for 4 more years!

Or people could vote for someone who can beat Biden instead of thinking of the stiffy they get from Trump getting the nomination, never the win though for President

ttu_85
agz win said:

Gonna hang with DeSantis as he deserves it.
This !!!!!

DeSantis puts in the work. He's:

At every debate and wins most of them.
Campaigns all over Iowa.
Hits the doors, the streets.
Always posting policy positions.
Still getting the big legislative wins in FLA.

The dude works hard. I respect that. I have no respect for those that hide in a bunker sniping with idiotic online quips. To be fair Trump is old there is no way he can keep up with a young, sharp, energetic, leader like DeSantis.

The next 4 years will be tough. Biden's weakness has the entire planet witnessing the most instability since WW2. We need someone special for the right time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.