***** OFFICIAL Call the Iowa Caucus Thread *****

38,305 Views | 844 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Rapier108
AgResearch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiehawg said:

AgResearch said:

Iowafarmkid said:

Living here, it'll be interesting to see how the weather impacts turn out. In southern Iowa, we've received 20 inches of snow this week and the wind blew 50 mph last night making almost every road impassable this morning. It'll take a few days to dig out of this. Actual temperatures are suppose to be 20 below with windchills 40 to 50 below. Monday nights actual low is forecast to be 15 below and breezy. Guessing whoever has the most enthusiastic supporters has a better chance at winning this thing

Yeah it's a mess. Our county pulled plows off the roads at 1pm yesterday. This morning they could only run until 10am before getting pulled off again. Abandoned vehicles in the 4+ ft tall snow drifts isn't helping one bit. I don't think I could make it to town before Tuesday at this point.
Can caucus sites be changed last minute due to weather?

Where I am it's generally the nearest rural school building or senior center. Changing locations will do nothing to get us rural folks into town when roads are blown shut with snow.

Looking at the forecast, wind gusts will be under 30mph tomorrow so primary roads will finally get cleared but be tough driving for another day or two. Gravel roads might get a single lane plowed through tomorrow with v-plows on the maintainer if they can get the primary roads open.
AgResearch
AG
Here's what state DOT plows are seeing right now:

BigRobSA
My winter beast, a 1996 Audi A4 Quattro, with new snows, ate that **** up. No joke. Car was a slowass beast. Perfect for Iowa. Bought for 600, fixed a few things, drove it a few years and sold for 1200. #Beastmode
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks. Good luck and stay safe.
AgResearch
AG
This reminds me of the storm we had in 1989. Snow drifts on my farm remained until the first week of June that year.

Once the wind chill improves mid-week, there's going to be some awesome snow tunnels/houses dug by me and my boys.
aggiehawg
AG
AgResearch said:

This reminds me of the storm we had in 1989. Snow drifts on my farm remained until the first week of June that year.

Once the wind chill improves mid-week, there's going to be some awesome snow tunnels/houses dug by me and my boys.
Post pics, if you can.
UAS Ag
RGLAG85 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I honestly don't care anymore.

If Republicans can't see the homerun that is desantis in front of them and instead choose some geriatric charlatan then the race is already over. Biden wins.
The race is over regardless who is the republican nominee, but keep up your TDS reeeeeing.
Why is it over regardless of the nominee?
Iowafarmkid
I live on 3 miles of gravel to get to a county highway. Our road maintainer hasn't went by yet. Seen several pictures today of road graders, even with V plows on them, stuck trying to get thru the drifts. It's been along times since I've seen it like this. I have a 20 mile drive to get to my caucus site, I still plan on going, but I can see people thinking twice of driving on slick roads in below 0 weather to participate.
Who?mikejones!
Who you going for?
aggie93
AG
BigRobSA said:

aggiehawg said:

IDK.

That was the first time I had seen an article specifically about Trump's Iowa ground game, so I posted it.

No idea how accurate it is. Don Jr. has been mostly working on it, according to the article.

Hawg,

A good ground game doesn't have to resort to texting, en masse, begging for caucus Captains a la Jeb! levels of energy.
Here is just one of the DeSantis volunteer gatherings today getting a pep talk and about to hit it hard again. These folks are dedicated.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggie93
AG
aggiehawg said:

IDK.

That was the first time I had seen an article specifically about Trump's Iowa ground game, so I posted it.

No idea how accurate it is. Don Jr. has been mostly working on it, according to the article.
I have no problem with the article but it certainly runs contrary to everything I have seen up until the point. If anything up until now the narrative and evidence has been Trump has been far less organized with far less ground enthusiasm than 2016. Most of this is a very late and hard push by Trump.

We will find out soon enough though.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Dan Scott
AG

I've only seen reports about how awesome DeSantis ground games is while I've see positive and negative reports about Trump. We'll find out Monday
aggie93
AG

Coming out to support their Captain!

Ronald Reagan
Dan Scott
AG
Iowafarmkid
I'm honestly undecided yet. I really like Vivek and what he has to say. A lot of people think he's fake, but it would be hard to be as passionate as he is if he didn't truly believe it. When people say they wish he had more experience, that's what makes me like him. We have tons of people with political experience completely running this country in to the ground
I also like Desantis. Love what he's done in Florida. I believe he has the good qualities of Trump with the ability to not step in it.
Even if I don't vote for trump in the caucus's, I will gladly vote for him in the general. He has a lot of rural Iowa support. Signs and flags are everywhere, even since 2020. He stopped by a friend of mines farm this fall in between campaign speeches, and his ability to actually relate and have a conversation with working class people is what resonates with me. He signed the side of this guys combine, which is now hanging in his shop. I guess I feel most politicians think us "rural" people are beneath them and seeing him sit down with local farmers and basically talk shop, makes me have no problem pulling the lever for him in the general.
Iowafarmkid
https://ibb.co/YkbFm1V
https://ibb.co/rmTrzF1
https://ibb.co/TbZQzYN
https://ibb.co/9vGDngM

Current views of the road by my house and driveway. Guessing it'll be Monday before I see a maintainer, then will have to go to the home farm to get the tractor and blade to clear my driveway for the second time this week
aggiehawg
AG
Pretty place you have there.
ts5641
DeSantis wins and the dems **** their pants!
zephyr88
AG
Flyover states manipulating the electoral process
Iowafarmkid
Curious how me and the other citizens of my state are manipulating this?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Iowafarmkid said:

Because Middle America shouldn't have the privilege of being the first bloc of voters in each election deciding what political leaders survive the Primaries and therefore the direction of this country! That should the sole responsibility of coastal elitist populations who are smarter and more diverse and know what's good for everyone!

(Dems everywhere)
K2-HMFIC
Trump - 50
Haley - 30
Desantis - 15
Vivek - 5
BigRobSA
Iowafarmkid said:

You're not. It all has to start somewhere, so it might as well be a state that uses the most grassroots type of methodology. I enjoyed going to caucii while a resident.
Sq 17
Yes the selection process has to start somewhere

The current system with IA & NH starting it is (IMO) not a good way to continue doing it
Fat Black Swan
AG
MaroonStain
AG
Fat Black Swan said:

She is a snake in sheep's clothing.
MaroonStain
AG
K2-HMFIC said:

Trump - 50
Haley - 30
Desantis - 15
Vivek - 5

lulz
MaroonStain
AG
Desantis - 43
Trump - 41
Vivek - 13
Swamp lady - 3
Iowafarmkid
https://ktvo.com/news/local/wapello-davis-van-buren-counties-working-to-clear-roads-travel-still-not-advised#

Still a lot of people in rural areas whose roads haven't been cleared. I can finally get out now, but only because my neighbor bladed the road himself with his tractor so feed trucks could get to his hog buildings. Roads that were cleared Saturday drifted back on Saturday night with the wind. Highways even though plowed are very slick since it's so cold the ice melt products aren't working. I plan on trying to venture out after lunch to see if it's smart to drive the 25 miles to the caucus location. It's warmed up to 8 below (actual temp), our forecast is 7 below and 25 below windchill at caucus time this evening. Been 13 years since I've seen snow this deep here. Fun times!
agz win
AG
Be safe.
aggiehawg
AG
Keep us posted if you do venture out tonight so we know you are safe, if you can.
AgResearch
AG
County cleared 1 pass through my gravel road yesterday afternoon. County blacktop was snow packed, which is why I always stay on the gravel roads.
Ag87H2O
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

If Republicans can't see the homerun that is desantis in front of them and instead choose some geriatric charlatan then the race is already over. Biden wins.
It's the most self defeating scenario I've ever seen.

DeSantis is everything conservatives have been longing for for since Reagan, both in policy and in effectiveness. He's the Democrat slayer we need, yet they run back to Trump and all his notable flaws.

It's absolutely mind numbing.
aggie93
AG

Ronald Reagan
J. Walter Weatherman
Ag87H2O said:

Agthatbuilds said:

It's the most self defeating scenario I've ever seen.

DeSantis is everything conservatives have been longing for for since Reagan, both in policy and in effectiveness. He's the Democrat slayer we need, yet they run back to an extremely flawed Trump.

It's absolutely mind numbing.

It's wild to watch unfold but really shows (as if we needed a reminder) just how cynical and power hungry politicians are. Watched Doug Burghum this morning try and crawfish his way out of literally saying on camera two months ago that he'd never work with someone like Trump but now is endorsing him before any primary votes have been cast because he's the only option we have and he's apparently the defacto nominee before the primaries have even started.

All of these cowards like him, Rubio, etc are so scared of being on the wrong side of a mean tweet that they just jump on board. Really disappointing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.