***** OFFICIAL Call the Iowa Caucus Thread *****

38,298 Views | 844 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Rapier108
TexAgs91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
shack009 said:

TexAgs91 said:

shack009 said:

FireAg said:

shack009 said:

FireAg said:

shack009 said:

TXaggiesTX said:

FireAg said:

FoxNews now reporting that 53% of first time caucus goers voted Trump, 23% Haley, and 11% DeSantis…

That 99 county, 3-million knocked on doors had a very poor ROI…

The grassroots effort just isn't the way to get it done anymore…
Trump has always done this. There has never been a candidate who brings in people both for and against him who dont usually participate in politics like Trump. I believe the for outweighs the against when compared to the usual GOP baseline in important electoral states.

He gets the "for" in the primary, then gets the "against" in the general. Which is why we took losses from 2018-2023, and will lose again in 2024.

Then blame the candidates who fail to win over voters…

DeSantis did plenty to win over voters over the course of several years as the best governor in the country and most consistent victor over the left. It's not my or his fault that people don't care about policy wins or winning general elections.

No, he didn't…maybe in your biased opinion he did, but many of yall have been wish-casting this thing from day 1 when the empirical evidence clearly showed DeSantis wasn't hitting home with voters…

The evidence that he needed to make drastic changes has been there from the beginning, but he, and many of y'all, ignored it, and called those of us pointing to what was actually going on "fools" or "Trumpers"…

Y'all had your heads in the sand as to what was actually going on…

You continue to operate under the false belief that Trump supporters could be peeled off. There is nothing DeSantis could do to change a Trump supporter to DeSantis.

You're wrong. I've switched from Trump to DeSantis because of Trump's attacks on DeSantis and DeSantis' plans if he's president.

Why do people make such silly blanket statements that can be so easily disproven?

We are talking about the context of this campaign. You actually changed your support from Trump to DeSantis in the past 8 months because of things DeSantis and Trump have said?

I'm skeptical, but if that's true, then good for you. Just not sure why their actions on policy over the past 7 years wouldn't be the deciding factor, but ok.

Yes. Surprise... I know it can be a little unsettling to find out you don't actually know what everyone is thinking.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
No Spin Ag
Waffledynamics said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I lean more towards it being over on a national stage, mostly because Trump supporters will forever hold a grudge and undercut him from ever having enough support to win a primary.

It's obvious his real life results do not matter because he allegedly wears lifts in his shoes.

He can probably get a high paying job at fox or on tucker's channel and ride off into the sunset
DeSantis needs to be in politics, and his leadership needs to be on the national stage one way or another.

If DeSantis fades after this and his time as governor, he'll be the greatest thing that never happened to the GOP when it comes to the White House.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Who?mikejones!
Desantis is 99% done unless Trump drops dead from a heart attack.
TexAgs91
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

That only holds true if "trumpers" were actually willing to change from Trump to anyone else. I've seen nothing that shows a Trump supporters was willing to go with desantis or Haley or vivek.

I don't think any strategy would've worked, even if the one desantis did do was a bad one that was poorly executed.

LOL there's another one.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3438040/replies/66793419
Fight! Fight! Fight!
FireAg
AG
I still think 1) DeSantis is going to finish second (perhaps by a couple of points or so), and I do think he will be within 30 pts of Trump at the end of the day...but his message (or maybe his delivery) just doesn't get through...

I think DeSantis will hang on through SC and NH, but if he finishes no better than 3rd in those, he won't mkae it to Super Tuesday...And right now, Haley is well ahead of him in both states, per the RCP average...

I think DeSantis's strategy was indeed a hail mary, or as you said "to make Trump look mortal", but it failed, and money is going to dry up quick with a trouncing in Iowa, followed by trouncings in NH and SC...
Who?mikejones!
Congrats. You're one in a million.
FireAg
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Desantis is 99% done unless Trump drops dead from a heart attack.
That's what polling has said for months...
shack009
AG
FireAg said:

I still think 1) DeSantis is going to finish second (perhaps by a couple of points or so), and I do think he will be within 30 pts of Trump at the end of the day...but his message (or maybe his delivery) just doesn't get through...

I think DeSantis will hang on through SC and NH, but if he finishes no better than 3rd in those, he won't mkae it to Super Tuesday...And right now, Haley is well ahead of him in both states, per the RCP average...

I think DeSantis's strategy was indeed a hail mary, or as you said "to make Trump look mortal", but it failed, and money is going to dry up quick with a trouncing in Iowa, followed by trouncings in NH and SC...

Sadly, I think you're right. It sucks that NH is very liberal so he had no chance in that state against these 2 and then obviously SC is Haley's home state.

Best case right now for DeSantis is that Haley underperforms in both those states and she drops out before Super Tuesday. But that probably won't happen because she is staying in for the benefit of Trump to likely be his VP.
Who?mikejones!
Polling is like teams on paper. You gotta play the games.

Polling said Trump didn't have a chance either.
TexAgs91
AG
Thunderstruck xx said:

TexAgs91 said:

No Spin Ag said:

non maga voters actually outnumber maga.

Scary if true that most voters don't want to make America great again.

More like Make America Geriatric Again amirite?

I'd rather have DeSantis but Trump could handle the job just a few years ago, he can still handle the job. He didn't suddenly age 20 years. You can try and tell people that every person at a given age is at the same level of decline but people can see that's obviously not true.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
BoydCrowder13
TexAgs91 said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

TexAgs91 said:

No Spin Ag said:

I'd rather have DeSantis but Trump could handle the job just a few years ago, he can still handle the job. He didn't suddenly age 20 years. You can try and tell people that every person at a given age is at the same level of decline but people can see that's obviously not true.

Go watch the 2016 debates and tell me Trump hasn't declined.
Waffledynamics
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Waffledynamics said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I lean more towards it being over on a national stage, mostly because Trump supporters will forever hold a grudge and undercut him from ever having enough support to win a primary.

It's obvious his real life results do not matter because he allegedly wears lifts in his shoes.

He can probably get a high paying job at fox or on tucker's channel and ride off into the sunset
DeSantis needs to be in politics, and his leadership needs to be on the national stage one way or another.

If DeSantis fades after this and his time as governor, he'll be the greatest thing that never happened to the GOP when it comes to the White House.
How do you figure?
zephyr88
AG
Quote:

And we're supposed to know this how? He's been hidin' like Biden.
shack009
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

TexAgs91 said:

No Spin Ag said:

He could handle it only in the sense that it didn't literally kill him.

In every other way, he was completely run over by the media and the deep state and his own appointees and a little elf man.
zephyr88
AG
I just love that we let one of the least populous states set the table for the election.

I mean, other than corn, what's the purpose of Iowa?
aggie93
AG
RGLAG85 said:

aggie93 said:

willtackleforfood said:

Quote:

I'm less and less inclined to vote for Trump the more he and his supporters act like children.

Oh no, whatever will he do?
The Trump strategy that he doesn't need your vote is an interesting one. It's like you are doing all you can to push people away because you like to smack talk. Cool.
This person, like many of the DeSantis fanboys on here, were never voting for the republican candidate. Hth.
I voted for Trump last time and I have said at least 50 times I will vote for whomever is the R including Trump.

Your obsession with me is weird though.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
TexAgs91
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Dan Scott said:

This crap has to stop. MAGA needs all the Rs.

Maga doesn't care about Rs. They care about Trump and those who pledge fealty to him. Everyone else is the enemy and they'll burn it all down if they have to.

Wrong again. I'm MAGA. Read that literally. I want to make America great again. So if DeSantis is still around when Texas gets a turn I'll vote for him because I think he can still do a better job at MAGA than Trump. Otherwise, I'll vote for Trump in the general because I know he can make America great again. I've seen him do it. I just think DeSantis will have more of an impact than Trump will.
FireAg
AG
TexAgs91 said:

I want to make America great again. So if DeSantis is still around when Texas gets a turn I'll vote for him because I think he can still do a better job at MAGA than Trump. Otherwise, I'll vote for Trump in the general because I know he can make America great again. I've seen him do it. I just think DeSantis will have more of an impact than Trump will.
This X1000...
TexAgs91
AG
Rapier108 said:

Dan Scott said:

They won't.

MAGA expect everyone to swear fealty to Trump, for life.

Wrong again
wasntme
aggie93 said:

No clue but I will say that if it is within 10 points or so then anyone who called for this race to be over or that we should just accept Trump either should apologize or never be treated seriously again.

We vote in this country for our leaders. Polls don't determine them. I find it particularly disgusting that many of those who have screamed about what happened in the 2020 election and how Trump was treated by the media are the loudest voices encouraging this primary to be devoid of a real debate with Trump and that everyone needs to get on board with Trump before a single vote is cast. If you think you can unite people by forcing them to accept someone they don't feel won fairly and we didn't allow his opponents an equal opportunity to fight don't cry when it happens again. You don't care about fairness or transparency, you just care when it impacts the guy you support.

I have no clue what the result will be, never been more unsure actually. The weather makes it even crazier. If nothing else there are thousands of people on all sides that have are out there braving the conditions to campaign for their candidate right now, most of which are doing it at their own expense. They deserve the respect of letting the process play out.
It's over. It was over before it began!
TexAgs91
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

TexAgs91 said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

TexAgs91 said:

No Spin Ag said:

Tell me he's aged 20 years. You can't.
BigRobSA
TexAgs91 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

TexAgs91 said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

TexAgs91 said:

No Spin Ag said:

Mentally? Definitely. Even physically, he can't hang.

Dementia takes its toll in both ways.
Dan Scott
AG
Turnout was really low compared to 2016. Is it weather or because all these candidates sucked?
No Spin Ag
TexAgs91 said:

No Spin Ag said:

Dan Scott said:

Maga doesn't care about Rs. They care about Trump and those who pledge fealty to him. Everyone else is the enemy and they'll burn it all down if they have to.

Wrong again. I'm MAGA. Read that literally. I want to make America great again. So if DeSantis is still around when Texas gets a turn I'll vote for him because I think he can still do a better job at MAGA than Trump. Otherwise, I'll vote for Trump in the general because I know he can make America great again. I've seen him do it. I just think DeSantis will have more of an impact than Trump will.

If Trump made America Great, why does he need to do it again? What did he do wrong that he needs to do it all over again?

And what happens to America when he's gone? Will it only be great when he's president?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
shack009
AG
TexAgs91 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

TexAgs91 said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

TexAgs91 said:

No Spin Ag said:

You are the only person saying he's aged 20 years. But it's clear he rambles even more than he did previously and he's even more incoherent than he was previously. More slurred speech and he's doing way less events.

Remember 2016 when he was selling out multiple large venues in a single day? Now we're lucky if we get a couple appearances in a week.
shack009
AG
Dang CNN is reporting Vivek has suspended his campaign. Wonder if he will endorse Trump after the I'll-timed attacks.
Grapesoda2525
Ramaswamy dropped out.

The guy sucked anyway
No Spin Ag
Dan Scott said:

Turnout was really low compared to 2016. Is it weather or because all these candidates sucked?

The reporters said weather like this isn't unusual in Iowa, so maybe a little bit of both?
Rapier108
shack009 said:

Dang CNN is reporting Vivek has suspended his campaign. Wonder if he will endorse Trump after the I'll-timed attacks.
He did his job.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
TexAgs91
AG
BigRobSA said:

TexAgs91 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

TexAgs91 said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

TexAgs91 said:

No Spin Ag said:

Mentally? Definitely. Even physically, he can't hang.

Dementia takes its toll in both ways.

OK, we'll I guess anyone could say it, but they'd either be lying or mistakenly thought Trump was 50 during his first term.
aggie93
AG
wasntme said:

aggie93 said:

No clue but I will say that if it is within 10 points or so then anyone who called for this race to be over or that we should just accept Trump either should apologize or never be treated seriously again.

We vote in this country for our leaders. Polls don't determine them. I find it particularly disgusting that many of those who have screamed about what happened in the 2020 election and how Trump was treated by the media are the loudest voices encouraging this primary to be devoid of a real debate with Trump and that everyone needs to get on board with Trump before a single vote is cast. If you think you can unite people by forcing them to accept someone they don't feel won fairly and we didn't allow his opponents an equal opportunity to fight don't cry when it happens again. You don't care about fairness or transparency, you just care when it impacts the guy you support.

I have no clue what the result will be, never been more unsure actually. The weather makes it even crazier. If nothing else there are thousands of people on all sides that have are out there braving the conditions to campaign for their candidate right now, most of which are doing it at their own expense. They deserve the respect of letting the process play out.
It's over. It was over before it began!
Looks like the case.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
No Spin Ag
shack009 said:

This will only help Trump. I wouldn't be surprised if he's jumping on the Trump train now.
No Spin Ag
Rapier108 said:

shack009 said:

He did his job.

That he did.
The D
AG
He just endorsed trump
BoydCrowder13
TexAgs91 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

TexAgs91 said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

TexAgs91 said:

No Spin Ag said:

Why do you keep throwing out 20 years. Even if he has just aged his actual age (70 to 78), that still is likely a huge change in energy. His debates in 2016 vs his rallies now seem night and day.

If any posters are still working a high stress job at 78 (much less president of the country), please let me know. I'm assuming most 78 year old here have been retired for 15 years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.