***** OFFICIAL Call the Iowa Caucus Thread *****

38,321 Views | 844 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Rapier108
TXaggiesTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag with kids said:

TXaggiesTX said:

Ag with kids said:

J. Walter Weatherman said:

Old_Ag_91 said:

I guess they thinks independents/dems/libs will magically vote for desantis.

Its laughable but whatever.

They did in 2022, when he won Miami of all places and performed much better than Trump did in 2020. Trump turned Georgia and Arizona blue.
Trump turns red areas blue.

DeSantis turns blue areas red.

MAGA: I WANT TRUMP!!!! PROVEN WARRIOR!
States Obama won twice won by Trump both times
-Iowa*
-Ohio*
-Florida

States Trump only won once but is the only republican since Reagan to win them:
- Wisconsin
-Pennsylvania*
- Michigan*

*Trump has both the first and second best performance for a republican since 1988

So, after 4 years in office and voters could see his performance...Trump turned Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan blue.

After 4 years in office where voters could see his performance, DeSantis turned Miami red.

1. Miami Dade County shifted 22 points right from 16 to 20 before Desantis won it outright in 2022. There was a large shift happening there anyways. Trump won Florida both times. No need to worry about Florida. Trump is uniquely suited for the midwest, which is much more electorally important.

2. Any other republican would have lost those states by more. True believer tea party guy is not what plays up there. Ted Cruz absolutely probably loses 2016 (I have donated and volunteered for ted Cruz).
YokelRidesAgain
AG
JWinTX said:

oysterbayAG said:

The economy, the border, the wars and Joe Biden's weakness and poor health will hopefully drive people to vote for Trump. Not as overwhelming as in 1980 for Reagan, but enough to win !
Please explain how you think Trump is going to do any different this time
Biden is bleeding, badly, among non-college educated, non-white voters compared to the 'typical' expectations of a Democrat. Particularly among men. That is a demographic where the Dem nominee needs to run up a massive margin.

2020 and 2016 were both razor close elections that would have gone the other way had less people than it takes to fill Kyle Field in a few states had voted differently.

And unlike 2020, the Democrats will have to overcome the typical tendency for an election to be a referendum on the incumbent. Biden has a record as President now, and it's, uh, not great.

This is going to be a close election, and either guy could certainly win. I tend to accept the conventional wisdom that both parties would have been better served by nominating someone other than the geriatric candidate that they are going to nominate, but it was hard to see a realistic path to make that happen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shack009
AG
willtackleforfood said:

You're in the minority, again.

These questions are weird because you could interpret that to mean anything. You could think he won illegitimately even if you think every vote cast was correct/legal. The suppression of the laptop story and changing the rules because of covid could make you answer "no" to that question.
Ag with kids
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Cause they hate him.

What'd be really fun is if we could actually get an effective political leader like a desantis to be president that might actually accomplish something resembling a push back on leftism.
I don't hate Trump. I voted for him twice.

Now, when he loses to the potato a second time and I have to deal with 4 more years of this current bull****, I might change my opinion of Trump to hate...
Ag with kids
AG
willtackleforfood said:

Congrats on being delusional, I guess?
RGLAG85
AG
willtackleforfood said:

They, DeSantis fanboys, have to say this so they can continue to attack from the left.

Notice I didn't say DeSantis supporters, there a difference on this board.
Who?mikejones!
Desantis attacks from the right
FireAg
AG
FoxNews now reporting that 53% of first time caucus goers voted Trump, 23% Haley, and 11% DeSantis…

That 99 county, 3-million knocked on doors had a very poor ROI…

The grassroots effort just isn't the way to get it done anymore…
shack009
AG
RGLAG85 said:

willtackleforfood said:

They, DeSantis fanboys, have to say this so they can continue to attack from the left.

Notice I didn't say DeSantis supporters, there a difference on this board.

Holy projection. I'd be surprised if you can find one issue Trump is to the right of DeSantis on.
willtackleforfood
AG
You sir, score a 10 on whatever mental gymnastics routine you just performed. I honestly can't make out what you are attempting to communicate.

No, that question was straightforward.
damiond
Quote:

And yes Trumpers, Biden did get pretty much 81 million.
nobody should ever take this person seriously
AgResearch
AG
FireAg said:

FoxNews now reporting that 53% of first time caucus goers voted Trump, 23% Haley, and 11% DeSantis…

Trump supporters are out for blood in 2024 for what happened in 2020. That's why you see those numbers.

Grassroots still works but not in the hangover from 2020.
TXaggiesTX
AG
FireAg said:

Trump has always done this. There has never been a candidate who brings in people both for and against him who dont usually participate in politics like Trump. I believe the for outweighs the against when compared to the usual GOP baseline in important electoral states.
FireAg
AG
AgResearch said:

FireAg said:

Trump supporters are out for blood in 2024 for what happened in 2020. That's why you see those numbers.

Does it? It didn't even move the needle for DeSantis…

I am actually blown away away by those first time caucus goer numbers…
AggieVictor10
AG
Waffledynamics said:

AggieVictor10 said:

Rapier108 said:

Old_Ag_91 said:

Apparently some think that if desantis was to win the nomination he would magically be strong enough to beat biden. If trump cant win against biden(i personally believe 2020 was illegitimate), desantis doesn't have a prayer. How can you believe the vote would mobilize for desantis if trump couldnt beat biden? It makes no sense.
And why do you think the vote will mobilize for Trump?

Yes, he'll get his base, but that is at most 25% of the electorate. He has no path to win another 25%, especially in the states that will decide the election.

Seems like getting desantis supporters in his corner would help him

I'm less and less inclined to vote for Trump the more he and his supporters act like children.

Desantis supporters saying trump won't win in November also not voting for him seems like a self fulfilling prophecy.
Grapesoda2525
shack009
AG
TXaggiesTX said:

FireAg said:

Trump has always done this. There has never been a candidate who brings in people both for and against him who dont usually participate in politics like Trump. I believe the for outweighs the against when compared to the usual GOP baseline in important electoral states.

He gets the "for" in the primary, then gets the "against" in the general. Which is why we took losses from 2018-2023, and will lose again in 2024.
Old_Ag_91
AG
Then beat him in the primary.
AgResearch
AG
FireAg said:

AgResearch said:

FireAg said:

DeSantis just doesn't connect unfortunately. Dude couldn't even end a debate closing argument with a non-creepy smile. The personality just wasn't there.

New caucus goers wanted to make sure Trump is the one. Come live in Iowa and it will make more sense to you.
Who?mikejones!
FireAg said:

AgResearch said:

FireAg said:

I think.its somewhere in the middle. I don't think a traditional campaign will work when the competition was the president and gets billions in free advertising and is a genuine marketing whizz.

The reality is there is no oxygen for anyone but Trump in this election. The general will be about him too, not biden.
FireAg
AG
shack009 said:

TXaggiesTX said:

FireAg said:

He gets the "for" in the primary, then gets the "against" in the general. Which is why we took losses from 2018-2023, and will lose again in 2024.

Then blame the candidates who fail to win over voters…
FireAg
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

FireAg said:

AgResearch said:

FireAg said:

I think.its somewhere in the middle. I don't think a traditional campaign will work when the competition was the president and gets billions in free advertising and is a genuine marketing whizz.

The reality is there is no oxygen for anyone but Trump in this election. The general will be about him too, not biden.

And that's why I said DeSantis needed to steal some headlines early on…to make some noise in the echo chamber…he never did…
1836er
AG
Wes97 said:

1836er said:

Tergdor said:

Wes97 said:

The poor texags Cruz/DeSantis board once again shows that it completely has its finger on the pulse of the average conservative voter.
MAGA isn't conservative. It's populist.
Hogwash... it's a fusion of conservatism and populism that, more accurately than any ideological litmus test, reflects the sentiments of regular, traditional America.

The GOP is no longer the party of Wall Street, neoconservative foreign policy adventurists, and overly-educated suburban social moderates and liberals (who just happen to prefer lower taxes), and in case anyone hasn't been paying attention these last eight years the realignment has already happened.

The GOP is now, more than it has ever been in its history, the party of working class and middle class regular America.

Though it may not yet constitute the majority of GOP officeholders across the country it does constitute the majority of GOP voters, and no matter how much the Bushes, Romneys, Cheneys, and Kristols want it to be the case its never going back to the way it was before.

Exactly right. Posters on here saying people aren't conservative if they voted for Trump are slightly unhinged. There is barely an inch of breathing room between trump & DeSantis on policy issues, DeSantis biggest selling points were that he was Trump on policy without all of the personality baggage. That and he had shown he could actually get policy proposals implemented. Both pretty strong DeSantis selling points in my book but not about substantive policy differences by any stretch.

This. No matter how many times people say it MAGA isn't about President Trump, and Governor DeSantis very easily could have been the MAGA candidate had circumstances unfolded differently.

What I was really hoping for was a Trump-DeSantis MAGA alliance that would nail the final stake into the rotting undead corpse of the GOPe. We did not get that, unfortunately (and there was plenty of blame on both sides for it).

That being said, in 2028 (post-Trump), regardless of the results of this election, whomever emerges as the strongest, sincerest champion of MAGA will win the support of the bulk of GOP voters.
MemphisAg1
AG
FireAg said:

shack009 said:

TXaggiesTX said:

FireAg said:

Meaning Trump essentially everywhere since 2016, except the R primary where he reigns supreme. King of a castle that can't win the war.
stallion6
AG
C@LAg said:

Trump has been the Dems ***** for 8 years now. That is not going to stop any time soon.

1. No major legislation passed on his watch.

2. He spent $8TT that the dems gorged on, as did the Republicans. S much for him being "conservative".

3. He got used and abused by the Executive branch, who worked against him

4. The military hated him so much they actively worked against him

5. Republican leadership hated and still hates him and barely is willing to work with him. He is going to bring down the ticket in one or both houses.

6. DOJ has tied him up for pretty much the entire time.

7. He is bleeding millions in ongoing lawsuits that divide his time.

8. He has almost no useful or powerful allies. Anywhere.

The senile buffoon in the White House who cannot prepare cereal for himself is going to beat him in the general election. For a second time.

He is a dead candidate walking.
The military did not hate Trump. Just Liberal, Woke Milley.
Dan Scott
AG
shack009
AG
FireAg said:

shack009 said:

TXaggiesTX said:

FireAg said:

DeSantis did plenty to win over voters over the course of several years as the best governor in the country and most consistent victor over the left. It's not my or his fault that people don't care about policy wins or winning general elections.
FireAg
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

FireAg said:

shack009 said:

TXaggiesTX said:

FireAg said:

Meaning Trump essentially everywhere since 2016, except the R primary where he reigns supreme. King of a castle that can't win the war.

Think so? Guess we'll see in 2024…

Seems to me like there may very well be a groundswell of support coming for Trump if for no other reason than a lot of folks believe 2020 was stolen…

That's seems to be the sentiment coming out of Iowa…
BigRobSA
Liberals, like Trump and Biden, and the libs that support them.
shack009
AG
stallion6 said:

C@LAg said:

Trump has been the Dems ***** for 8 years now. That is not going to stop any time soon.

1. No major legislation passed on his watch.

2. He spent $8TT that the dems gorged on, as did the Republicans. S much for him being "conservative".

3. He got used and abused by the Executive branch, who worked against him

4. The military hated him so much they actively worked against him

5. Republican leadership hated and still hates him and barely is willing to work with him. He is going to bring down the ticket in one or both houses.

6. DOJ has tied him up for pretty much the entire time.

7. He is bleeding millions in ongoing lawsuits that divide his time.

8. He has almost no useful or powerful allies. Anywhere.

The senile buffoon in the White House who cannot prepare cereal for himself is going to beat him in the general election. For a second time.

He is a dead candidate walking.
The military did not hate Trump. Just Liberal, Woke Milley.

The Milley that Trump appointed?
Who?mikejones!
How'd vivek do???
FireAg
AG
shack009 said:

FireAg said:

shack009 said:

TXaggiesTX said:

FireAg said:

DeSantis did plenty to win over voters over the course of several years as the best governor in the country and most consistent victor over the left. It's not my or his fault that people don't care about policy wins or winning general elections.

No, he didn't…maybe in your biased opinion he did, but many of yall have been wish-casting this thing from day 1 when the empirical evidence clearly showed DeSantis wasn't hitting home with voters…

The evidence that he needed to make drastic changes has been there from the beginning, but he, and many of y'all, ignored it, and called those of us pointing to what was actually going on "fools" or "Trumpers"…

Y'all had your heads in the sand as to what was actually going on…
Ag87H2O
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

This kind of crap is why Trump will not win in the general election. Talk about petty, low-class bulls***. It will be a classic case of win the battle, lose the war.
TexAgs91
AG
I like Vivek, but I don't think he'll get anywhere. If he drops out, I think his supporters go to DeSantis.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
AgResearch
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

How'd vivek do???

LOL. Still higher than he deserves but 4th place and <8% right now

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.