*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,061 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Max Power
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Since we're doing dumb questions, here's mine.

I didn't fully grasp why there was a race between Alicent and her father to find Aegon. Was it just that whoever "had" him would set the terms of his ascension and what to do with Rhaenyra?

Cause it seems to me right now Otto should not have power as Hand of the King. He would be outranked given that the King he served is dead, right?
it is a coup. Essentially a regency govt until the new king is installed.

Aegon did not know he was going to be king. He was in a brothel of sorts at the time that they recover him/bring his in. He even turns it down until he is told that Princess R will have him killed to ensure her children are the ones that later ascend the throne.
I think this is part of it. What I was gathering is that Aegon is going to be a lot more malleable to his wishes because he knows Alicent cannot be bent to his will. She won't give the order to kill Rheanyra, she's standing up for what she believes is right regardless of his instruction. He wants to be the first in Aegon's ear providing him direction, he doesn't want Alicent to talk to him first.

I was curious while Alicent was talking to Aegon if she realized she had to have misunderstood Viserys. Even Aegon knows that Vicerys wouldn't name him king, he rejects the idea completely that his own father would say that. She also knows that he's not fit for the throne. There was something about the look on her face like she realized she got something wrong. She didn't buy into the very thing she had told

Regarding the scene with Rhaenys bursting out of the dragon pit I actually thought it did have a significant point. They thought they had her under control, and her dragon to boot. When she Kool-Aid Man'd out of the floor it was a reinforcement that they had no such weapon on their side. Also it illustrates what this one dragon is capable of with a rider. She was also wearing what is essentially battle armor, she's showing them she's ready to fight. By not torching all of them she's also showing them they have a decision to make, she showed restraint, control over her emotions. While the greens are going to lean on the strength of the crown they also have fewer dragons, which they know puts them at a military disadvantage. They can't sit back and think they've just got everything locked down, because they don't.

I haven't been real high on a lot of the episodes this season but I thought this episode was great, I really enjoyed it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Does anybody else listen to the official podcast? It's pretty good, they have a different cast member/director on every week, and it's a guy who has read the book and a girl who is just watching the show. No spoilers, they just ask the book reader how it compares so far.
goadius6
AG
In the post show recap on HBO with directors/actors, they said that she very well could have ended things right then and there but something about her motherly instincts and i guess knowing how much she has lost as a mother with her kids dying, she couldn't light up Alicent and her children so easily
Teddy Perkins
AG

Solid spoiler free recap to hold everyone over until Alt Shift X releases his later this week. He caught some things I hadn't thought of that tie into earlier episodes.
TCTTS
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I liked the last scene. She busts through the floor on a dragon, effortlessly killing dozens if not hundreds of people, and is one word away from vaporizing all the "royal court".

The message seemed clear to me. All the intrigue, closed door meetings, rounding up witnesses, keeping secrets, back alley hunting, spying and squabbling means absolute nothing compared to the power of a single dragon. Otto and Alicent are still scheming like men, not dominating like dragon lords. The whole thing was a giant signal that they are wasting their energy playing the wrong game

This all the way. Favorite moment of the series so far for me. Absolutely loved it, and the message/intent seemed clear as day. Then, I come here and of course people manage to find all kinds of nonsensical fault in it.
JJxvi
AG
The problem with Criston Cole in this adaptation is that they made it very clear in this that the only reason he was around in the first place was because the Princess was his benefactor. She chose him to be in the Kingsguard as a nobody and nobody else even gave a flying **** who she chose. Then he spent the whole time as her sworn shield. They needed to make a transition where it was clear that he had developed other allies at court before he started acting like a lunatic, because thats the only reason he could have stuck around.
TV Casualty
AG
TCTTS said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

I liked the last scene. She busts through the floor on a dragon, effortlessly killing dozens if not hundreds of people, and is one word away from vaporizing all the "royal court".

The message seemed clear to me. All the intrigue, closed door meetings, rounding up witnesses, keeping secrets, back alley hunting, spying and squabbling means absolute nothing compared to the power of a single dragon. Otto and Alicent are still scheming like men, not dominating like dragon lords. The whole thing was a giant signal that they are wasting their energy playing the wrong game

This all the way. Favorite moment of the series so far for me. Absolutely loved it, and the message/intent seemed clear as day. Then, I come here and of course people manage to find all kinds of nonsensical fault in it.

People can have a different take on it than you and it doesn't automatically make it nonsense.
TCTTS
AG
TV Casualty said:

TCTTS said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

People can have a different take on it than you and it doesn't automatically make it nonsense.

Those "different takes" are mostly nitpicks that ignore all of the logical, thematic, and character-driven breadcrumbs that were laid as to why Rhaenys didn't roast that side of the family. I mean I guess you could still have a problem with her killing a number of common folk, but that's been pretty well explained already as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Otto: The hand
Alicent: The feet
Aemond: The eye
Haelena: The third eye
Aegon: The d**k
Madmarttigan
AG
RIP to all the hundreds of unnamed plebs the dragon killed this week, but we still cheered for Rhaenys
CFTXAG10
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Apologies to TC who won't get the reference.
TCTTS
AG
OnlyForNow
Quad Dog
AG
TCTTS said:

TV Casualty said:

TCTTS said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Those "different takes" are mostly nitpicks that ignore all of the logical, thematic, and character-driven breadcrumbs that were laid as to why Rhaenys didn't roast that side of the family. I mean I guess you could still have a problem with her killing a number of common folk, but that's been pretty well explained already as well.
I disagree. Interrupting the ceremony, breaking through the floor, killing hundreds of guards and citizens, then threatening the royal family with a dragon is an extreme threat. The royal family cannot forgive those actions and move forward. That dragon threat was an act of war. Not completing the threat is a half measure. It makes Rhaenys seem indecisive. It starts a war where thousands will die instead of hundreds

And it doesn't make sense structurally. The dragon pit was built to be dragon proof, but she can easily break through? The Dragon can break through, but not hurt the dragon rider, who is on top? What about all the other dragons below the floor?

It would have been better, and more in character had she had her dragon approach the door from outside, let out a roar, interrupt the ceremony, the people leave the ceremony because of a dragon, and show contempt to the whole farce by flying away.
Teddy Perkins
AG
"Beware the beast outside the door" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
TV Casualty
AG
TCTTS said:

TV Casualty said:

TCTTS said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

I disagree. Seems like it would've been more inline for her character to have just fled on her Dragon. Killing a thousand people so she can yell at her relatives makes less sense than just going to Dragonstone.

Since my opinion defers from yours it of course has to be nitpicking and just nonsense.

The scene didn't ruin the show for me, but it's up there with the two odd Cristen Cole moments as sort of taking me out of it a bit.
boy09
AG
I agree with TCTTS. Everybody else, pick your sides.
C@LAg
TV Casualty said:

I disagree. Seems like it would've been more inline for her character to have just fled on her Dragon. Killing a thousand people so she can yell at her relatives makes less sense than just going to Dragonstone.

Since my opinion defers from yours it of course has to be nitpicking and just nonsense.

The scene didn't ruin the show for me, but it's up there with the two odd Cristen Cole moments as sort of taking me out of it a bit.
don't worry about it. you have your opinion and have stated it, which is fine and reasonable. he has his.

all this is going to do is degenerate into the same groups saying the same thing over and over and over on top of each other.
TV Casualty
AG
C@LAg said:

TV Casualty said:

don't worry about it. you have your opinion and have stated it, which is fine and reasonable. he has his.

all this is going to do is degenerate into the same groups saying the same thing over and over and over on top of each other.

You're right and I'm done with it.
Quad Dog
AG
boy09 said:

Greens vs. Blacks
M.C. Swag
AG
What I thought was interesting was that Otto and the other small council members had their plan to install Aegon as King ready to go without Alicent's knowledge. Which made me wonder, had Viserys never said those dying words, and Alicent never wished to usurp Rhaenyra's inheritance, would Otto have simply dispatched of his daughter to install Aegon anyways? Like, did Viserys ever have any influence over the events once Otto was back in his perch as The Hand?
boy09
AG
Quad Dog said:

boy09 said:

Greens vs. Blacks
I get to be the weird foot guy. Called it.
TCTTS
AG
BudFox7
oragator said:

Again, that final scene wasn't in the book, so almost by definition it can't have a real purpose if they keep to the general storyline. Other than maybe to enhance the reasons that might be revealed later (not a spoiler, I haven't read the books just know that one tidbit).
They wanted to add dramatic effect, but doing it outside of the plot like that causes problems. I had final season GoT flashbacks in watching it.

Well that explains why the action made little sense.
deer corn
Have watched MeeMaw praying gif about 7 times and cannot stop laughing.
deer corn
Does that mean Daemon has been hiding a big MFer or is that Viserys' dragon?
deer corn
TV Casualty said:

If she cared about her kin then she should've just flown out on her dragon. No need to have her bust into the room like the Koolaid man. Never mind that she killed around 300 people in doing so.

Didn't they say the dragons were being guarded?! Maybe they had some dragons at the front. Maybe that was the only way out. Maybe she wanted to make a statement exit.

I thought it was awesome. Who cares if 300 people died- no one cared about all the people Dany roasted. It's fiction!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Show any good? I've avoided all knowledge of the plot and reviews ... considering splurging by for HBO for a month to binge this.

Give me your rating and opinion
boy09
AG
deer corn said:

Does that mean Daemon has been hiding a big MFer or is that Viserys' dragon?
Viserys rode Balerion, the same dragon ridden by Aegon I during the Conquest. That is the dragon skull that has been seen a few times at the Red Keep, surrounded by all the candles.

It is King Jaehaerys' dragon, Vermithor. Vermithor has been riderless and living on Dragonstone since King Jaehaerys' death.
TCTTS
AG
My opinion is that HBO Max is hands down the best steaming service and worth paying for on a permanent basis regardless of whether this show is good or not.

That said, the show itself is fantastic, and getting better every week.
deer corn
Thank you kind sir!
powerbelly
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Show any good? I've avoided all knowledge of the plot and reviews ... considering splurging by for HBO for a month to binge this.

Give me your rating and opinion
It's very good. Well worth a month of HBO.

I would rate this year's shows:

Andor

LOTR: Rings of Power
GOT: House of the Dragon
CondensedFogAggie
EFE said:

My wife and I during that scene:

Wife: "I don't like this weird footed guy, he creeps me out…"
Me: *Internal monologue* (WTF is she taking off her socks in front of this plebe? Oh…****…)
Me: "I think weird foot is about to get weirder…"
Wife: "What do you mean? How could he get any weirder???"
<Weird foot starts tugging it>
Me: "There it is…"
Wife: "seriously, why do we watch this *****??"

I mean, you made it through a naked teen high up on a window sill jerk it on the city below, so this shouldn't be too hard to get past.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.